Register

The Real Football Thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

20 Oct 2018 10:46

Chelsea v Man Utd - Hazard against Lindelof? Should be fun!
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

10 Nov 2018 00:03

https://www.dw.com/en/fifa-probe-switzerland-suspends-top-economic-crime-prosecutor/a-46224999
The head of Switzerland's business crime division at the Office of the Attorney General (OAG) has been suspended over allegations of a possibly criminal nature, the office said on Friday, confirming a report by the Swiss daily Tages-Anzeiger.

The OAG said Olivier Thormann was suspended last week amid allegations concerning his conduct in the investigation of suspected corruption at world soccer FIFA.

"The information on which this decision is based is related to the OAG's criminal proceedings in the field of soccer and its governing body, FIFA," the office said in a statement, adding that the allegations had come to the OAG's attention at the end of September.

It said the information received "may be of criminal relevance," without giving further details or naming specific charges. It called the suspension a standard precautionary measure and said Thormann enjoyed the presumption of innocence.

The OAG said the allegations had nothing to do with a probe launched earlier this week against Rinaldo Arnold, a lower-level prosecutor who is a personal friend of FIFA chief Gianni Infantino. The Tages-Anzeiger reported last week that Arnold, who has not been involved in the FIFA probe, had organized meetings between the Swiss attorney general and Infantino.

FIFA remains the target of a corruption investigation that has been ongoing since the arrest of top football officials on the eve of the 2015 FIFA Congress in Zurich. US prosecutors have charged more than 40 entities and individuals in connection with the probe.

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

17 Nov 2018 16:31

https://www.dw.com/en/fifa-president-attempting-to-sell-entire-fifa-rights-reports/a-46336713
FIFA President Gianni Infantino is planning to completely sell all of the sporting federation's major rights to a consortium with links to Saudi Arabia, two German media outlets reported on Friday.

A joint investigation between daily Süddeutsche Zeitung and public broadcaster WDR found Infantino had been lying about the intentions of a planned $25 billion (€22.5 billion) deal.

The deal was supposedly meant to deliver two new tournament formats to the new investors, but would also hand over complete rights to the Football World Cup, satellite and network transmissions, archives, movies and videos, video games and merchandising.

This would essentially leave FIFA as a hollow shell, while Infantino would lead the new organization.

User avatar Robert5091

24 Nov 2018 14:36

Sergio Ramos this summer said "We are stronger without Ronaldo" :lol:
Nirvana

02 Dec 2018 20:10

If like me you watched the Liverpool v Everton game, then congrats on seeing a most amazing goal - in the 96th minute to boot.

Spurs looked like a tired side after their mid-week game. No spark.

User avatar Robert5091

02 Dec 2018 23:55

At the beginning of the season i had a lot of expectations on Tottenham, i even tought that they could have won their group in Champions League against a declining Barça and a shadow of former self Inter.
Maybe they have suffered Eriksen and Alli injuries and that affected also Kane numbers but they are already eight point down in Premier League and they risk to end up in Europa League if they are going to lose the final game.
Nirvana

Re:

03 Dec 2018 03:06

Nirvana wrote:At the beginning of the season i had a lot of expectations on Tottenham, i even tought that they could have won their group in Champions League against a declining Barça and a shadow of former self Inter.
Maybe they have suffered Eriksen and Alli injuries and that affected also Kane numbers but they are already eight point down in Premier League and they risk to end up in Europa League if they are going to lose the final game.

why?
so many players playing nearly all of the world cup, so a really messed up pre-season and underdone squad,
no real 'fresh faces' beyond Moura, who's now not really producing much,
still playing all their games "away" while the predictable delays hit the new stadium,
plenty of injuries in the early part of the season that they didn't have before...
could be argued they overachieved last season,
they were never going to be particularly high flying this season
User avatar Archibald

03 Dec 2018 14:48

Nations League Semis

England v Netherlands
Portugal v Switzerland
del1962
Veteran

Re: Re:

04 Dec 2018 01:21

Archibald wrote:
Nirvana wrote:At the beginning of the season i had a lot of expectations on Tottenham, i even tought that they could have won their group in Champions League against a declining Barça and a shadow of former self Inter.

why?
so many players playing nearly all of the world cup, so a really messed up pre-season and underdone squad,
still playing all their games "away" while the predictable delays hit the new stadium,
plenty of injuries in the early part of the season that they didn't have before...

Because I think they are a very strong team with some bright talents and in most cases they are still relatively young and with room to improve, they don't need a number of new players. In my personal "starting grid" for Champions League they were in the second row with Citizens, just behind PSG and Juvetus. This is a transitional year with Real Madrid that decided to add themselves to Barça and Bayern among the declining big powers of recent seasons, it's something to be expected seeing someone "new" going far in the competition.

If the World Cup is messing their season there is something wrong, per FIFA rules every player should have a 30 days break between the end of a season and the start of the new one, who goes all the way to the end of the World Cup should start the preparation for the new season later but by mid/late September you are fit and ready to play at a good level even if you started training in mid August. Every big team has plenty of players at the World Cup or continental championships every even year and are able to manage the delayed start of preparation.
Nirvana

Re: Re:

04 Dec 2018 02:48

Nirvana wrote:
Archibald wrote:

why?

Because I think they are a very strong team with some bright talents and in most cases they are still relatively young and with room to improve, they don't need a number of new players. In my personal "starting grid" for Champions League they were in the second row with Citizens, just behind PSG and Juvetus. This is a transitional year with Real Madrid that decided to add themselves to Barça and Bayern among the declining big powers of recent seasons, it's something to be expected seeing someone "new" going far in the competition.

If the World Cup is messing their season there is something wrong, per FIFA rules every player should have a 30 days break between the end of a season and the start of the new one, who goes all the way to the end of the World Cup should start the preparation for the new season later but by mid/late September you are fit and ready to play at a good level even if you started training in mid August. Every big team has plenty of players at the World Cup or continental championships every even year and are able to manage the delayed start of preparation.

I'd say that the world cup issue is more about the disruption to the pre-season, through the majority of your first team squad absent, than their fitness. Nearly all pre-season was the seconds and kids...
If they didn't have all the issues mentioned above, they'd be doing far better at the moment, though
User avatar Archibald

04 Dec 2018 10:13

del1962 wrote:Nations League Semis

England v Netherlands
Portugal v Switzerland

why? nations league.............just as pointless as europa league

southgate grumbled 'players were not fresh enough for 1st international break after
early start to premier league' an early start to accomodate 3 international breaks
before xmas LOL!

disrupting premier league costing teams like spurs

not as though i should care i loved arsenal 4 spurs 2
User avatar ebandit

04 Dec 2018 10:19

another football grumble................when are uefa/fifa gonna toughen up fair financial play rules
man c are romping away with premier league..........goal difference greather than any other teams
goals scored

some time ago they were fined for having too much $'s..what was the point of that......shoulda
been a points penalty

boy do man u need to sack mourihno.........their goal difference minus 1 /no chance of finishing
top 4

but he should be sacked 'cos he's an iidiot always blaming his own players..........hows that gonna
gel his team

+ again after so many superb players have come and gone...how is fellaini is still playing LOL
User avatar ebandit

04 Dec 2018 11:02

Man City were fined for having too much money..?
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

04 Dec 2018 16:19

about 2014 man c were fined some £49 million and given transfer restrictions

this year german press had highlighited further financial irregularities....so far these are unproven

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46132272
User avatar ebandit

08 Dec 2018 18:33

I've just watched the "derby d'Italia" that i've registered yesterday.
Juventus still playing with half gas and is enough to beat everyone when they don't have defensive blackout like against Genoa or the final minutes against UTD, this year i've seen them going deep only three times (against Valencia after Ronaldo red card, against Napoli in the second half and against UTD excluding the aforementioned final minutes). Yestarday Chiellini was monumental, he deflected almost every ball in Juventus area, i've never seen him so dominant.
The only weak point of Juve is Cancelo, having him is like playing with three defenders and an additional winger and even when he tries to defend he's really bad, i wonder why they didn't try him in a more advanced role.

Now i'm watching Chelsea Vs. Manchester City with the former surprising in the lead at half time. Anyway Premier looks always wonderful after watching the boring Serie A.
Nirvana

Yesterday 23:46

I hate, as an Interista, how good Chiellini is. That being said, Koulibaly is the best defender and the third best player in the league behind CR7 and Dybala IMO.

De Sciglio is also not really that great of a player and Juve were far stronger with Alves/Lichtsteiner & Sandro than the starting full backs they had this Friday. I hate it, but Juve is such a well run club.

PL is a treat this year because Liverpool has had such excellent results and the wealth of coaching is really there right now. 7-8 of the world's top ten coaches are in England. I hope the title race stays alive for a while too.
User avatar jsem94

Previous

Return to General