Register

The Real Football Thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

07 Mar 2019 10:20

Pricey_sky wrote:So Man United follow Ajax’s lead and comeback against the odds.

PSG owners now spent 1.2 billion since taking over and still not got further than the last 8. :lol:

shock! .............ajax were great but i really can't believe just how lucky man u were......

largely outplayed............then gifted the win in 2nd leg.........ffs
User avatar ebandit

Re: Re:

07 Mar 2019 11:39

ebandit wrote:
Pricey_sky wrote:So Man United follow Ajax’s lead and comeback against the odds.

PSG owners now spent 1.2 billion since taking over and still not got further than the last 8. :lol:

shock! .............ajax were great but i really can't believe just how lucky man u were......

Agreed, but sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good. You very rarely win anything in sport being unlucky.
User avatar Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

07 Mar 2019 11:58

ebandit wrote:

That's one way of interpreting the result.
sienna

07 Mar 2019 19:41

I wonder who has the trash bin instead of the heart this year...

Nirvana

Re: The Real Football Thread

07 Mar 2019 23:24

Arsenal just cannot do anything right when they play in Europe. A first half red card. On the ensuing free kick, they block the shot, but Bourigeaud gets it back, has another crack, and scores. Then in the 2nd half Monreal with the own goal, then they concede in the 88th minute. Ends in 3-1. I kind of feel sorry for the Gooners.
BullsFan22

13 Mar 2019 03:57

It's the first time that Juventus advance to the next round after losing 2-0 in the first leg in any UEFA competition (incidentally they did it in the unofficial Fairs Cup with Atlético).
Ronaldo showed again that the knockout phase is his favourite playground but incredible performances from Emre Çan used as right defender in the 3-4-3 to cover Cancelo and from Spinazzola at his very first game in the competition, probably only Citizens could beat that Juventus in two leg.

After the match on Sky they showed that Ronaldo holds almost every scoring record in the competition, only the most goals for the same team and in the group stage are missing (Messi holds both). He's:
*Top scorer.
*Top assist server.
*Top scorer on free kicks.
*Top scorer on penalties.
*Top scorer in knockout phase.
*Top scorer in home games.
*Top scorer in away games.
*Top scorer in a single edition.
*Player with most twice scored games.
*Player with most hat-tricks.
*Most seasons as top scorer.
*Most consecutive seasons as top scorer.
*Most consecutive games scored in.

Probably I've even forgotten something but the most funny is that he holds the record for the goals scored against a single opponent and this opponent is his actual team :D
Nirvana

14 Mar 2019 01:21

With Liverpool we have four english team in the quarter finals for the first time in ten years.

On friday there will be the new draw, something that personally i don't like, i'd prefer only one draw like in tennis, so we already know the "route" to the final for every team since december.
Nirvana

15 Mar 2019 20:51

So we have Ajax Vs. Juventus, Tottenham Vs. Man. City, Liverpool Vs. Porto and Barça Vs. United.

In Europa League Arsenal Vs. Napoli is an anticipated final, very lucky Chelsea against Slavia Praha.

And FIFA just launched a 24-teams World Cup for clubs every four years starting from 2021.
Nirvana

21 Mar 2019 16:36

thursday pm...........surprised! that there is international football being played...........is the team in yellow brazil?

no! it's scotland making kazakhstan look like champions..............current score 3-0

even the commentator is saying another disaster in a long line of scottish ignominy............
User avatar ebandit

13 Apr 2019 15:09

Juventus has played with some players from B team and even from primavera and just lost against SPAL.
Would have been the record for the earliest "Scudetto" in case of victory.
Nirvana

17 Apr 2019 02:58

In Madrid they found an harmless and disbanding team but this time Ajax were really impressive, they let Juventus play in the first half but then in the second was a total domination. I've heard Agnelli and Allegri post match interviews and they didn't even try to protest for the handball in the extra time admitting a fair and square defeat and the superior strength of the opposition.

Now will be interesting to see them against Citizens (if Pep won't try to commit suicide again like last week) but if they hold that shape in an eventual final against Barça i think they are favourites because Barça suffers terribly when the opposite team hold the game and play aggression not letting them play in the way they want.
Nirvana

17 Apr 2019 21:43

Tottenham or Ajax will be in the CL final. Incredible. I'm so happy right now.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

17 Apr 2019 22:00

ManCity-Tottenham, WHAT an incredible game tonight
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

Yesterday 08:18

Gigs_98 wrote:Tottenham or Ajax will be in the CL final. Incredible. I'm so happy right now.

I really hope Ajax will prevail out of that pair as I've not managed to warm to Tottenham quite as much as many other football fans I know. I don't know what exactly it is, but something about them manages to irritate me and I usually end up cheering against them when watching them play. Maybe its their often quite pragmatic and cynical playing style, maybe something else.
User avatar Põhja Konn

Previous

Return to General