Register

The Real Football Thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

11 May 2019 10:10

Might be because I watch italian football and not german football, but i think that italian football is in a better place currently. It's starting to realise the necessity of modernisation in keeping up and is now at a key crossroads in keeping its historic value or declining slowly, while bundesliga seems to have gone down the road of a 'shopping window' league. Take, for example, napoli last year compared to dortmund this year: both have challenged, unsuccesfully, for domestic honours against the dominant team of this decade. Napoli, though, were probably stronger (see their performances against one of the best teams in the history of the prem, in contrast to dortmund's aneamic performances against spurs) and by the end of the season did not lose many of their players, while there is constant talk of big teams gutting dortmund for the likes of sancho etc. The fact that bundesliga is now seen in england as a league to send unproven young talents on loan is pretty worrying. This is in no small part caused by the relative lack of money involved in the german game.
Brullnux
Veteran

Re:

11 May 2019 12:06

Brullnux wrote:Might be because I watch italian football and not german football, but i think that italian football is in a better place currently. It's starting to realise the necessity of modernisation in keeping up and is now at a key crossroads in keeping its historic value or declining slowly, while bundesliga seems to have gone down the road of a 'shopping window' league. Take, for example, napoli last year compared to dortmund this year: both have challenged, unsuccesfully, for domestic honours against the dominant team of this decade. Napoli, though, were probably stronger (see their performances against one of the best teams in the history of the prem, in contrast to dortmund's aneamic performances against spurs) and by the end of the season did not lose many of their players, while there is constant talk of big teams gutting dortmund for the likes of sancho etc. The fact that bundesliga is now seen in england as a league to send unproven young talents on loan is pretty worrying. This is in no small part caused by the relative lack of money involved in the german game.

Doesn't Munchen also hoard a lot of the best players from their direct competitors?

I think the best thing to hope for is to get a slightly more competitive league in general and for the sub top teams to do better in EL. PSG and Juve are not challenged at all domestically and when they get under pressure in the UCL it shows.

Meanwhile, the Eredivisie is in the process of slowly getting rid of artificial grass, and I think the top teams are willing to aid in making that happen. One very worrying sign for me though is Barcelona buying Ludovit Reis from FC Groginingen. Reis is the biggest talent in Groningen and has seemingly made the decision to run around in Barcelona B rather than get experience at the highest domestic level in the Netherlands. Would be hugely worrying if it becomes a trend that young talents skip domestic top teams in favor of B teams of the biggest teams.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

11 May 2019 12:55

The whole competition narrative is false imo. The best years for Juventus in the champions league were 2017 and 2015. In 2015, they had absolutely no competition. In 2017, it was probably one of the best years for serie a recently, but juventus were still comfortable winners (more comfortable than the final league table suggests). Last year, when they were under intense pressure, they went out at the quarters, the same spot that they did this year under none at all. The problem lies elsewhere in that club. Bayern is a good example as well: they were run away league winners in 2013 (although dortmund were strong that year), 2014, 2015, 2017 and 2018, with the league slightly closer in 2016 and close in 2019. They've gone winners in 2013, semis in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018; quarters in 2017 and ro16 this year. There is no clear correlation between stronger competition for the win and better european performances imo. I agree that overall league quality helps every team in that league, but the issue isn't not being challenged, but just being low on quality. The prem was competitive between 2013 and 2017, but low on quality which showed in europe.
Brullnux
Veteran

13 May 2019 03:58

Atalanta is flying to a Champions League spot considering that they should be able to take easily three points next week from vacation Juve in which only Ronaldo seems still willing to go deep.
I would like very much to see them against top teams, I think they could do damage, especially if some teams come away thinking of an easy match or pulling a Barça.
This year in their days they literally looked unbeatable for everyone (ask Juventus for reference) and they even found continuity of performances this year (they lost only two matches in 2019).
Nirvana

18 May 2019 00:57

Citizens are officially under investigation for the FFP violation.
According to Marca also Barça risk a lot (they have to sell players for 265M this summer to be ok for next year).

Meanwhile Inter have been cleared (along with FC Astana and Beşiktaş) after two years of limitations.
Nirvana

01 Jun 2019 18:40

ok, the CL final to begin shortly.
like both teams, so staying neutral.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

01 Jun 2019 18:53

Well, hopefully the football will be better than the shite show currently on......
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

Re:

03 Jun 2019 04:36

Dazed and Confused wrote:Well, hopefully the football will be better than the shite show currently on......

Nope, just a bland regulation premier league game... Even if the teams' last match at Anfield was far better.
(not that I know what you were referring to as the 'currently on shite show'...
User avatar Archibald

03 Jun 2019 21:18

CL final? Anti-climax. but the slightly better team won.
Anything about Fran Millar goes in The Clinic.
User avatar Robert5091

05 Jun 2019 21:32

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jun/05/eden-hazard-real-madrid-chelsea-agree-fee
Eden Hazard is set to join Real Madrid after the Spanish club agreed a fee in the region of €100m (£88.5m) plus add-ons with Chelsea.

Real's defence has been leaky too so they need to bolster that up.
User avatar Robert5091

06 Jun 2019 04:09

Two days ago Petkovic said that Ronaldo has never done anything against them so there was nothing to fear.
Yesterday Ronaldo 3 - Switzerland 1 :lol:
Nirvana

18 Jun 2019 10:17

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-7153059/Former-UEFA-President-Michel-Platini-arrested-awarding-2022-Qatar-World-Cup.html
Former UEFA president Michel Platini has been arrested over the awarding of the 2022 World Cup.

French legend Platini was elected in 2007 and served as president until 2015 when he was then banned by the FIFA Ethics Committee.

Platini, 63, was taken into custody on Tuesday morning as part of the investigation into the awarding of the World Cup to Qatar, and held at premises of the Anti-Corruption Office of the Judicial Police (OCLCIFF).

At the core of concerns is understood to be a meeting which took place nine days before the ballot of FIFA for the World Cup decision in 2010, where former France president Nicolas Sarkozy invited Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani, Crown Prince of Qatar and Platini, then UEFA President and Vice President of FIFA, to a meeting at the Elysee hotel.

Football France reported that the meeting centred around the acquisition of Ligue 1 side Paris Saint Germain by the Qataris - which became effective in June 2011 - a rise in Qatari shareholding in the Lagardere group and the creation of 'a sports channel (BeIN Sports) to compete with Canal +' in France.

It was then alleged that all would have been agreed 'in exchange for a promise: that Platini does not give his voice to the United States (for the 2022 World Cup bid), as he had envisioned, but in Qatar.'
User avatar Robert5091

25 Jun 2019 16:16

Nothing at all about the women's World Cup? Many think the U.S. team may be the best ever, and they went through their first three games outscoring opponents I think it was 18-0. Then yesterday, in the first KO game, they barely survived Spain, needing a questionable foul late in the second period. In fact, both of their two scores came on penalty kicks, though they did appear to outplay Spain most of the way.

Next up is France, the host team, and the pre-tournament favorite to be America's toughest challenge.
Merckx index

Re:

25 Jun 2019 22:39

Merckx index wrote:Nothing at all about the women's World Cup? Many think the U.S. team may be the best ever, and they went through their first three games outscoring opponents I think it was 18-0. Then yesterday, in the first KO game, they barely survived Spain, needing a questionable foul late in the second period. In fact, both of their two scores came on penalty kicks, though they did appear to outplay Spain most of the way.

Next up is France, the host team, and the pre-tournament favorite to be America's toughest challenge.

Just cannot get into it, fair play for the way the women’s game has grown, and will continue to grow over the coming years, but I just find it too slow and boring.

Cant quite put my finger on it, but I’d say it lacks the ‘egde’ that you often find in the men’s game.
User avatar Pricey_sky

26 Jun 2019 06:56

I maybe watched 60 minutes in total so far and already saw 3 disgraceful, game-deciding calls from the ref. The second penalty for the USA vs Spain being the icing on the cake. That was just fishy as ****. Bye bye excitement.

I'll probably tune in a bit more now that the 'weak' teams are out.
User avatar Flamin

27 Jun 2019 09:12

Atlético signed Joao Felix, IMHO he's the signing of the year despite the headlines being all for De Ligt and his quest for the bigger salary possible. I watched him in some Europa League games of Benfica and is unbelievable, he plays for two, a midfielder and a striker, and he's good in every position you put him between midfield and attack, i really agree with the ones that compare him to Kaka but i think he could be even better.
And Atlético will likely fund him entirely selling Griezmann that is 10 years older, has a monster salary of over 20M and this year has been a lot under his par, considering also Lucas Hernandez sold for 80M at Bayern after an year plagued by knee problems i think they are the geniuses of market.
Nirvana

01 Jul 2019 23:37

I think the game is better off without VAR after watching Women's world cup

VAR was supposed to e for clear and obvious errors but it is used for very marginal decisions
del1962
Veteran

Re:

03 Jul 2019 08:43

del1962 wrote:I think the game is better off without VAR after watching Women's world cup

VAR was supposed to e for clear and obvious errors but it is used for very marginal decisions

VAR-s problems in Women's World cup are largely down to a poor level of referees - both on the pitch and in the VAR room - rather than the fault of the VAR system itself.
User avatar Põhja Konn

Re: Re:

04 Jul 2019 20:18

dungan123 wrote:Real football? Dont they hold the ball with their hands for most of the game?

No, you are talking about the sport better known as "handeggwrestle". Where guys wrestle while holding a large egg with their hands. Football is the sport where you kick a ball with your foot.
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend

Re: Re:

04 Jul 2019 21:56

Logic-is-your-friend wrote:
dungan123 wrote:Real football? Dont they hold the ball with their hands for most of the game?

No, you are talking about the sport better known as "handeggwrestle". Where guys wrestle while holding a large egg with their hands. Football is the sport where you kick a ball with your foot.

Uuh, you do realise you're replying to a post of 8 years ago?
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to General