Register

Wiggins Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

09 Sep 2011 19:59

ferryman wrote:How much;)

Three crem pies and a HD Tivo box.
The most beautiful cycling performance ever.

Officially the first person to predict SKY domination of cycling 2012-2018
User avatar WonderLance

09 Sep 2011 20:11

WonderLance wrote:Three crem pies and a HD Tivo box.

So you are, as I thought a pastry, nerd:)
User avatar ferryman

09 Sep 2011 20:20

ferryman wrote:So you are, as I thought a pastry, nerd:)

How dare you mention pasty nerds in a thread about wiggans
The most beautiful cycling performance ever.

Officially the first person to predict SKY domination of cycling 2012-2018
User avatar WonderLance

09 Sep 2011 20:24

WonderLance wrote:How dare you mention pasty nerds in a thread about wiggans

I think that's cleverer than most on here will get. We're not bonding by the way;)
User avatar ferryman

09 Sep 2011 20:39

ingsve wrote:Post-hoc rationalizations....

this.

Froome has been an unplayed card in GT GCs. Up until the last ramps on Angliru where Wiggins couldnt turn over his gear, there was no certainty wich option was the right one. Froome could just as easily have cracked too.
User avatar Shardi

09 Sep 2011 21:21

The dislike of Wiggins and Sky in this thread says more about the posters than Sky themselves.

At the beginning of the Vuelta if you had offer Sky a third place for Wiggins and two stage wins, they would have taken it immediately. Froome is just gravy.

If I wanted to find teams that have failed in the Vuelta, Sky probably wouldn't be my first stop.
Mambo95

09 Sep 2011 21:25

Mambo95 wrote:The dislike of Wiggins and Sky in this thread says more about the posters than Sky themselves.

At the beginning of the Vuelta if you had offer Sky a third place for Wiggins and two stage wins, they would have taken it immediately. Froome is just gravy.

If I wanted to find teams that have failed in the Vuelta, Sky probably wouldn't be my first stop.

People seem determined to find ways to rat on bRAD and SKY no matter what. I don't fully understand it but it doesn't harm anyone so hay Ho. I actually think SKY have had an excellent 2nd season.
Those are my principles and if you don't like them i have others
User avatar Midnightfright

09 Sep 2011 21:34

Midnightfright wrote:People seem determined to find ways to rat on bRAD and SKY no matter what. I don't fully understand it but it doesn't harm anyone so hay Ho. I actually think SKY have had an excellent 2nd season.

Exactly. Top ranked CQ team of 2011 says something.:)
User avatar Andy99

09 Sep 2011 21:39

Wiggins came fourth in the Tour so you have to go with him as leader. No-one heard of Froome until now really did they?
jamiephillips

09 Sep 2011 21:50

Andy99 wrote:Exactly. Top ranked CQ team of 2011 says something.:)

I didn't know that very impressive.
Those are my principles and if you don't like them i have others
User avatar Midnightfright

09 Sep 2011 22:36

Andy99 wrote:Exactly. Top ranked CQ team of 2011 says something.:)

And the top team on the UCI rankings is an interesting three way battle between Leopard, OPL and Sky.

When Sky first started and they said that they could change road cycling, everyone laughed, confident in their old ways. Two years in, those people are worried that they were right all along.
Mambo95

09 Sep 2011 22:40

Mambo95 wrote:When Sky first started and they said that they could change road cycling, everyone laughed, confident in their old ways. Two years in, those people are worried that they were right all along.

Really, how so?_?
User avatar Machu Picchu

09 Sep 2011 22:49

Mambo95 wrote:And the top team on the UCI rankings is an interesting three way battle between Leopard, OPL and Sky.

That just goes to show how screwed up the UCI's rankings are. While OPL has killed it with Gilbert, Leopard has failed at its every goal, so much so that the team's owner replaced its management, and Sky has grabbed points from the UCI's pet races that no one cares about.
Give hate a chance.
-----------------------
Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."
User avatar Damiano Machiavelli

09 Sep 2011 22:55

Damiano Machiavelli wrote:That just goes to show how screwed up the UCI's rankings are. While OPL has killed it with Gilbert, Leopard has failed at its every goal, so much so that the team's owner replaced its management, and Sky has grabbed points from the UCI's pet races that no one cares about.

Genuinely, do you care how utterly nonsensical your posts are? Go take a look at where Sky have scored points.
hatcher

09 Sep 2011 23:01

hatcher wrote:Genuinely, do you care how utterly nonsensical your posts are? Go take a look at where Sky have scored points.

Yeah, a fantastic race like ENECO, the tour that every cyclist dreams of one day winning.
Give hate a chance.
-----------------------
Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

09 Sep 2011 23:14

Damiano Machiavelli wrote:Yeah, a fantastic race like ENECO, the tour that every cyclist dreams of one day winning.

Yes, Sky got all their points from Eneco. They haven't won 4 grand tour stages, they didn't win the Dauphine, get 3rd at Paris-Nice, win stages at Basque country, Paris-Nice and others, they didn't podium at AGR, get 5th at LBL, Catalunya, and on and on and on. And they don't currently sit 2nd and 3rd in the Vuelta.

So "no" you don't care that you write utter nonsense.
hatcher

09 Sep 2011 23:27

hatcher wrote:Yes, Sky got all their points from Eneco. They haven't won 4 grand tour stages, they didn't win the Dauphine, get 3rd at Paris-Nice, win stages at Basque country, Paris-Nice and others, they didn't podium at AGR, get 5th at LBL, Catalunya, and on and on and on. And they don't currently sit 2nd and 3rd in the Vuelta.

Sorry, dude, but the points system is screwed up. It overvalues high placings relative to wins and it overvalues races that are not prestigious. It also overvalues stage wins within stage races. And many races do not even count. The Tour Down Under. the Tour of Bejing, and the ENECO Tour being worth the same as the Tour de Suisse? Girl, please. Let us not forget that winning the Tour de Romandie is worth as much as the Tour de Suisse. Winning the Tour of Poland is worth more than winning Paris-Roubaix because the winner will have placed in the top five of one or more stages. Four of the eleven small stages races included in the rankings are crap races that no one cares about, while the remaining seven vary considerably in length and prestige. Then there are two Canadian races each worth 80% of winning Flanders. Win the Giro del Trentino and you get nothing. It goes on and on.

Your own list is made up of a crap stage race, stage wins, and close but no cigars.
Give hate a chance.
-----------------------

09 Sep 2011 23:33

Machu Picchu wrote:Really, how so?_?

Sky came into road cycling thinking they could repeat what they did in track cycling (domination in 2007-8). Well in their first year they weren't so good and they learnt - the one thing Sky do well is learn. Now, in their second year they are on top of the CQ rankings and they are threatening to be no.1 on the World Tour rankings.

That's a huge step forward. And maybe their methods might actually be game changing. This year they can get rid of the deadwood and bring in big names. There is talk of BMC, Radio Luxembourg and OPLQSDFF being superteams, but Sky is the team that will seriously contend ever single race next year.
Mambo95

10 Sep 2011 00:10

Damiano Machiavelli wrote:That just goes to show how screwed up the UCI's rankings are. While OPL has killed it with Gilbert, Leopard has failed at its every goal, so much so that the team's owner replaced its management, and Sky has grabbed points from the UCI's pet races that no one cares about.

I would agree with you that the rankings need adjusting. Personally I think evewry point should count not just the top five riders (a scheme that favours OPL and BMC and disadvantages Rabo and Garmin particularly). I also thin a bigger deal should be made of it, with a big trophy at the end of the season.

But whatever the short-comings of the rankings, they do give a good indictation of team success. Last year Sky were 15th, I think, this year they will be top three. That's a big improvement. And in year three they are jettisoning the deadwood and tooling up.

They were an internet laughing stock, but they are fast becoming the future.
Mambo95

10 Sep 2011 01:08

Mambo95 wrote:Sky came into road cycling thinking they could repeat what they did in track cycling (domination in 2007-8). Well in their first year they weren't so good and they learnt - the one thing Sky do well is learn. Now, in their second year they are on top of the CQ rankings and they are threatening to be no.1 on the World Tour rankings.

That's a huge step forward. And maybe their methods might actually be game changing. This year they can get rid of the deadwood and bring in big names. There is talk of BMC, Radio Luxembourg and OPLQSDFF being superteams, but Sky is the team that will seriously contend ever single race next year.

They win races, so what?

How does that change cycling?

Damiano Machiavelli wrote:Sorry, dude, but the points system is screwed up. It overvalues high placings relative to wins and it overvalues races that are not prestigious. It also overvalues stage wins within stage races. And many races do not even count. The Tour Down Under. the Tour of Bejing, and the ENECO Tour being worth the same as the Tour de Suisse? Girl, please. Let us not forget that winning the Tour de Romandie is worth as much as the Tour de Suisse. Winning the Tour of Poland is worth more than winning Paris-Roubaix because the winner will have placed in the top five of one or more stages. Four of the eleven small stages races included in the rankings are crap races that no one cares about, while the remaining seven vary considerably in length and prestige. Then there are two Canadian races each worth 80% of winning Flanders. Win the Giro del Trentino and you get nothing. It goes on and on.

Your own list is made up of a crap stage race, stage wins, and close but no cigars.

I care about those races.

Hence the statement "no once cares about them" is false because people do exist who care.

Though yes i agree that the UCI rankings are messed up and i hate them. to call who ever is top of the UCI rankings (often because they won TDU) the number 1 is a disgrace.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing