Colombia - Coldeportes

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Yesterday 15:58

The original link comes from http://altimetriascolombia.blogspot.ca/2015/10/team-colombia.html#more
It started an opinion article in the main Colombian newspaper, where the writer presented parts of the reality from the Team. Then Hector Urrego, a lead cycling journo, who actually benefits from the team attacked the article in his radio program.
So many people from La Ruta del Escarabajo and Altimetrías de Colombia put something longer together.

The hosting for La Ruta is not reliable and they are looking into alternatives.

Regarding the article it says:
Team budget gets 3M from the Colombian Government. (slosada: I read 3.8M is total budget including Italian sponsors and other Colombian institutions) and compares the results with Caja Rural running on a smaller budget.
Later it goes to reveal how the changed the goals of the team (to return to the highest level in cycling) to promote young talents (but 12 out of 19 riders are over 26 years old)
Then it mentions all the victories in 3 years and ZERO in 2015.
After that, the article analyses the calendar and says it doesn't go beyond 4 months and more than 50% were on "Waiting for invitation" state.

The team look amateurish the way they manage many things, like when they sent 6 riders to Trentino, and how the calendar doesn't fit the characteristics of the riders or simply they select the wrong type of riders because the goal is not to win, just to show the maillot and the bike brand.

Next paragraph explores constant delays in rider wages and how cyclists look to escape from the team even if that means to return to Colombia.

The Team management is stingy, it took too long to buy powermeters and they are one of the cheapest and really unreliable (ibike)

Same goes for the the plane tickets, and they are forced to stay in Italy paying rent from their own pocket, and losing the benefits of altitude training at home. This even goes from January and February when they can't ride outdoors. If riders want to train in Colombia they should pay their own tickets.

<<<<< cutting here I have to leave >>>>>>
User avatar slosada

Re: Colombia - Coldeportes

Today 07:04

Thanks for the info slosada.
User avatar fauniera

Today 07:14

I read that Manzana-Postobon wants to go PCT as well. How do those 2 teams compare in terms of finance, management, riders and fans?

Today 09:43

janraaskalt2 wrote:I read that Manzana-Postobon wants to go PCT as well. How do those 2 teams compare in terms of finance, management, riders and fans?

They want to turn PCT in the future, not for 2016 I think. They are much better organised also when they were riding in Europe in 2014. I think Colombia has like 1.5 - 2 times the budget of Manzana but thats just a guess from me.
User avatar Ruudz0r

Return to Professional road racing