Register

Race Design Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Yesterday 13:17

It should be no surprise that mine also contained a stage with the Roßfelder Höhenstraße (4 times), although I'm not totally sure whether it is the queens stage or not (PCM decided to label it as a "hills stage")
User avatar Progsprach

Re: Race Design Thread

Yesterday 13:41

lemon cheese cake wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:Deutschland Tour stage 13: Bayrischzell-Berchtesgaden (190 km)
A queen stage of the Deutschland tour finishing in Berchtesgaden? Who would have expected that? Well, I guess everyone.

I think anyone who's done a Deutschland Rundfarht, had their queen stage at Berchtesgaden. Mine did three loops around the place after an Austrian start.

I also had the idea of making a mtf on Kehlsteinhaus from Berchtesgaden. I think that would be one of the toughest climbs in the alps, but I think this mtf would destroy the other mountain stages because everyone would know that there is one climb which is that difficult that one great attack there would be enough for the win of the tour
User avatar Gigs_98

Yesterday 13:58

Pamplona - Frontera del Portalet (176km)
I am kind enough to ease the riders into the final set of mountain stages with a long stretch of flat to rolling terrain containing two intermediate sprints at Liedena and Jaca. Towards the end of the stage the final climb is annonced by a warm-up climb of about 3.3km@4.9%, then a 6km Plateau before the actual start of the final climb of Frontera del Portalet (14.8km@4.6%, cat2), which is rather inconsistent, containing sections of false flat as well as sections of up to 11%. After the climb there are about 3km of rather gentle descent towards the finish, so hopefully some will attack over the top of the climb. Everyone who isn't a climber should brace themselves, they will not get so much mercy the next two stages.
User avatar Progsprach

Yesterday 15:04

Berga - Bagneres-du-Luchon (250km)
The queen stage of this Vuelta has the riders immediately start climbing up to the Tunel de Capulat (10.9km@4.7%, cat2) and afterwards ascend the Col de Jou (10.4km@6%, cat2). After a bit of lumpy terrain and the descent, they pass the intermediate sprint at Canelles d Organya before the climb of Coll del Canto (23.9km@4.3%, cat1 nominally, but actually a mix of false flats and sections of about 7%). After the descent and a short flat section, the riders tackle Puerto de la Bonaigue (17.2km@6.3%, HC) a very consistent climb. The final climb is the Col de Portillon (7.5km@7.1%, cat2) and from there the riders descend into the finish at Bagneres-du-Luchon.
User avatar Progsprach

Yesterday 15:24

Gigs_98 wrote:
lemon cheese cake wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:Deutschland Tour stage 13: Bayrischzell-Berchtesgaden (190 km)
A queen stage of the Deutschland tour finishing in Berchtesgaden? Who would have expected that? Well, I guess everyone.

I think anyone who's done a Deutschland Rundfarht, had their queen stage at Berchtesgaden. Mine did three loops around the place after an Austrian start.

I also had the idea of making a mtf on Kehlsteinhaus from Berchtesgaden. I think that would be one of the toughest climbs in the alps, but I think this mtf would destroy the other mountain stages because everyone would know that there is one climb which is that difficult that one great attack there would be enough for the win of the tour

Yeah, thats the only problem with hard MTFs.
User avatar lemon cheese cake

Yesterday 17:41

Foix - Aixas (136km)
The final decisive stage is a lot shorter and flat until the intermediate sprint at Ax-Les-Thermes, then the long, but rather gentle climb of El Pas de la Casa (33.7km@4.8%, HC) begins with the final 2km at 11%, which is followed by the much steeper Col de la Galina (12.3km@8.2%, HC). After the descent, the short, but steep final climb to the chapel of St.Joan de Aixas (3.8km@9,5%, cat3) is on the program and finished the stage. If someone wants to make up a lot of time, they will need to attack on the penultimate climb, at least.
Last edited by Progsprach on 23 May 2015 18:09, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar Progsprach

Yesterday 17:44

Why through the Envalira tunnel and not over the summit?

Aixas is absolutely a Vuelta finish though. Not much space but steep. Last 4km of this:

Guillén would possibly prefer to finish from the same setup at Os de Civís (last 6km of this):

Don't think Os de Civís, though there is more room and the climb is decent, would be a likely Vuelta host though, as the finish would be in Spain, so Andorra wouldn't pay for it even though they would need to host all the decisive parts.
Last edited by Libertine Seguros on 23 May 2015 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Libertine Seguros

Re:

Yesterday 17:48

Libertine Seguros wrote:Why through the Envalira tunnel and not over the summit?

I wasn't sure if the pass is still rideable this late in the calendar.
Edit: But now that I look at the roads they should be fine,
User avatar Progsprach

Re: Re:

Yesterday 17:49

Progsprach wrote:
Libertine Seguros wrote:Why through the Envalira tunnel and not over the summit?

They did it in 2013, so it'll be fine; it's been a Vuelta MTF a fair few times as well. Snow tends to linger in the April-May time, won't have set in this far south in September though.

Re: Re:

Yesterday 18:08

Libertine Seguros wrote:
Progsprach wrote:

They did it in 2013, so it'll be fine; it's been a Vuelta MTF a fair few times as well. Snow tends to linger in the April-May time, won't have set in this far south in September though.

Oh yeah, I forgot, fair enough, I changed the profile to include the final part.
User avatar Progsprach

Yesterday 18:14

Maranchon - Madrid (187km)
Well, this is a decently long transfer, but in exchange the riders get a easy stage to parade the winner. The only obstacle is the ascent to Miralrio (4km@4.7%,cat4) between the intermediate sprints at Siguenza and Guadelajara. The GC leader will reach Madrid safely, hopefully, and the fast men who are still in the race will contest among themselves one final time.
User avatar Progsprach

Yesterday 19:19

Stage 3 Estes Park - Central City; 206km
The final 200km
This is the first serious test for the gc-riders.
The race starts in Estes Park and after 8km we already have the first climb of the day, 9,3km at 5,4%.
The next 23km are more of a false flat, then we have 2 short climbs, the first one is 4,7km at 4,6%, the 2nd one is 6,5km at 3,8%. The next 80km consist of gentle descents and rolling terrain until we reach Idaho Springs, then we have a hard climb up the Virginia Canyon road and the Two Brothers road, 5,3km at 9,8% with a 20% steep ramp, a nasty steep climb.
The descent is you typical gentle american descent on wide roads and after reaching Idaho Springs for the 2nd time the next climb starts, Juniper Pass on the Little bear Creek rd, 15,9km at 6,5%.
After the descent we climb the short steep climb for the 2nd time, but this time we descent down to Central City, the descent is steeper and shorter from the top of the final climb we only have 4,6km to go.
This is the first real mountain stage, the whole stage takes place over 2100m and features 3 serious climbs, if you have a strong team you can use it to set a really high pace on Juniper Pass to get rid of all the domestiques and attack the other favourites right at the beginning of the final climb.
Central City:
User avatar Mayomaniac

Yesterday 19:29

Hang on, there's a legit Peña Cabarga-alike only 5km from a legit city in Colorado and they still insist on doing those "an eternity at 4%" climbs in the real race?!

Re:

Yesterday 19:33

Libertine Seguros wrote:Hang on, there's a legit Peña Cabarga-alike only 5km from a legit city in Colorado and they still insist on doing those "an eternity at 4%" climbs in the real race?!

Yes, the middle part of the climb is partially unpaved but it's a nice large road that would be perfectly raceable.
User avatar Mayomaniac

Yesterday 20:11

Stage 4 Idaho Springs - Golden; 191,8km
Right at the start of the stage we climb Bear Creek rd once again, but this time we don't climb the whole Juniper Pass, just until reach Sqaw Pass rd, 9,6km at 6,6%.
Then we have a long american descent and 33km of false flat until we reach Boulder after 87km, them we climb on the Boulder Canyon rd, 12,2km at 4,6%.
The next 30km are on rolling terrain and after a short descent we have 2km at 4,5% before the long descent continues.
The descent ends when we reach Golden, from here we climb Lookout Mountain, 9,2km at 5,3%.
Then the final descent that will bring the riders down to Golden starts, the first 5km are steeper and the final 5km of the stage are more of a false flat.
This one should go to the breakaway, the next stage will be the obvious monster MTF that many fans would love to see in the real race, so the favourites will try to save their energy for that stage, but it should be a nice stage.
Golden:
User avatar Mayomaniac

Previous

Return to Professional road racing