Register

Race Design Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Re: Race Design Thread

Yesterday 19:40

Tour Complet de France n°2, stage 5: Saint-Flour - Decazeville: 218km, medium mountains (Auvergne - Midi-Pyrenées)

The 5th stage is the first one with a real pro race length and will view a transfer by car (but mainly on a highway) the evening before. The only reason for the transfer to Saint-Flour is to incorporate the Auvergne region in this Tour Complet. One could make a similar stage from Marvejols.

Saint-Flour

Anyway, this stage is a mixture of stage 12 of Another Dutch Guy's Tour without Alps and Pyrenees and the last stage of the Midi Libre I designed a year ago. The 218km between the start and the finish in Decazeville are so complicated that I won't give a description. Let's just say that a stage with 14 climbs of varying difficulty on sinuous and often narrow roads is something for the daring...

Map & Profile:

Climbs:
Côte de Rouire: km19; 2.4km @ 5.9%; 4th cat
Côte de Thérondels; km44.5; 4km @ 5%; 3rd cat
Côte de Pleaux: km58.5; 1.8km @ 6.7%; 4th cat
Côte de Saint-Hippolyrte: km 86.5; 4.7km @ 7.5%; 2nd cat
Côte de Vernassals: km99.5; 5.7km @ 7.6%; 2nd cat
Côte d'Enguialès: km118.5; 6km @ 6.9%; 2nd cat
Côte de Seveyrac: km131; 4 hm @ 8.1%; 2nd cat
Côte de la Chestonnerie: km148; 6.4km @ 6.7%; 2nd cat
Côte de Valayssac: km158.5; 3.4km @ 7.2%; 3rd cat
Côte de Sénergues: km166.5; 3.2km @ 5%; 4th cat
Côte du Prat: km181; 3.7km @ 8.9% (initial section of 2.2km @ 11%); 2nd cat
Côte de Roquemaurel: km186; 1.8km @ 11.7%; 3rd cat
Côte de la Linière: km 197.5; 3km @ 9%; 3rd cat
Côte de Rouméguière: km214.5; 1.8km @ 7.4%; 4th cat

Intermediate sprint:
Entraygues-sur-Truyères; km 127.5
rghysens

Yesterday 20:01

That stage looks amazing.
Creating a TdF is one of those things that I'm always torn on, on one hand I have a few ideas for good stages, maybe even too many, on the other hand there are only a few regions that you can use to create really awesome hilly or medium mountain stages.
The first week is always the big problem for me, I'd like to have a challenging first week and an early MTF, so the Vosges would be perfect, but I want to have the Pyrenees before the Alpes, something like the 2006 TdF would be good, maybe with a Grand Depart in in Basel but then I would have too many boring flat stages in the first week.
User avatar Mayomaniac

Re:

Yesterday 20:14

Mayomaniac wrote:That stage looks amazing.
Creating a TdF is one of those things that I'm always torn on, on one hand I have a few ideas for good stages, maybe even too many, on the other hand there are only a few regions that you can use to create really awesome hilly or medium mountain stages.
The first week is always the big problem for me, I'd like to have a challenging first week and an early MTF, so the Vosges would be perfect, but I want to have the Pyrenees before the Alpes, something like the 2006 TdF would be good, maybe with a Grand Depart in in Basel but then I would have too many boring flat stages in the first week.

There are indeed few regions that are suited to create "really awesome" hilly or medium mountain stages, but almost all (administrative) regions can have some stages that are good enough. The regions that pose the biggest difficulties are Centre (but some opportunities around Sancerre), Pays de la Loire (with some opportunities in the Alpes Mancelles and the area around Mont des Alouettes) and above all Poitou-Charentes (which seems to be the flattest region of them all).
That stage 5 of me will never be designed in reality, but sometimes it can be enough to have a succession of some 4th category climbs in 10 or 15km near the finish.
Regarding your Tour: you can start in the northeast of France (Champagne/Ardennes, Lorraine or even Alsace), have an easy mtf in the Vosges on day 3 or 4, some flat and hilly stages in Franche Comté, Burgundy, Centre before medium mountain stage in Auvergne the first weekend. Then a rest day with transfer (the transfer, if any, on the first restday tends to be quite long in reality), a long tt, pyrenees, transition stages and the Alps right before Paris.
It's not that difficult to create a Giro-like Tour.
rghysens

Re: Re:

Yesterday 20:25

rghysens wrote:
Mayomaniac wrote:That stage looks amazing.

There are indeed few regions that are suited to create "really awesome" hilly or medium mountain stages, but almost all (administrative) regions can have some stages that are good enough. That stage 5 of me will never be designed in reality, but sometimes it can be enough to have a succession of some 4th category climbs in 10 or 15km near the finish.
Regarding your Tour: you can start in the northeast of France (Champagne/Ardennes, Lorraine or even Alsace), have an easy mtf in the Vosges on day 3 or 4, some flat and hilly stages in Franche Comté, Burgundy, Centre before medium mountain stage in Auvergne the first weekend. Then a rest day with transfer (the transfer, if any, on the first restday tends to be quite long), a long tt, pyrenees, transition stages and the Alps right before Paris.
It's not that difficult to create a Giro-like Tour.

Yes, that would probably be the best option for the first week, I've already thought about that and I could use a few stages that I've already created.
Thanks for your advice
User avatar Mayomaniac

Yesterday 23:05

Alternatively you could start in Brittany or the Vendée (both very traditional cycling areas) and have an early "MTF" type stage to somewhere like La Loge-des-Gardes before angling southwestwards to the Pyrenees. There's enough space to finish at the Pas de Peyrol if you really wanted (perhaps best from the north with the steep finale?), or maybe Super-Lioran. Maybe if you have a route a bit like 2008's, you could have La Stèle leading into Chastreix-Sancy instead of Super-Besse?
User avatar Libertine Seguros

Today 10:06

I already want to use Pas de Peyrol before Col de Perthus, the finish would be in Saint-Jacques-des-Blats. Is there enough space on Col de Perthus to hold a MTF?
User avatar Mayomaniac

Today 13:04

Due to not wanting a MTF followed by another, this stage sits in between, but would have been stage 3 to follow after the finish in Salerno
Giro della Campania Stage 4 Salerno - Pompeii (106km)

Climbs:
Colli di Fontanelle

Primes:
Sant' Agata sui Due Golfi
Sorrento
Castellamare di Stabia

Feed Zone:
Colli di Fontanelle

Back in Salerno, we start stage four. This is a coastal stage on the Amalficoast. They have quite a few uncatorgorised climbs, however we have the big catorgorised one at Colli di Fontanelle. We will have the feed zone at the top aswell. They will then head for the prime at Sant' Agata sui Due Golfi. The second will be later at Sorrento and the third at Castellamare di Stabia. From here, it's an urban enviroment, so expect plenty of unwanted views (because you want to see the racing) of Vesuvius and the Roman Remains at Pompeii. We finish in the in the centre of Pomepeiiat the piazza

Start:

Finish:
User avatar lemon cheese cake

Today 13:05

Sorry for the short bit of info. The computer logged me out and I couldn't remember the detail from it! ;)

Today 14:09

Giro della Campania Stage 5 Caserta - Monte Vesuvio (110km)

Climbs:
Monte Vesuvio

Primes:
Ercolano
Pompeii
San Giuseppe Vesuviano

Feed Zone:
Torre del Grecco

Not much to say about the stage but here we go! Today's stage start's in Caserta. We head south to the outskirts of Naples before hitting the coast at Ercolanowhere the first prime is. The feed zone at Torre del Grecofollows. We then have a prime at yesterday's finish in Pompeii. Then the third and final prime is at San Giuseppe Vesuviano. We do a loop of the the famous mountain, before actuallly climbing it. Due to limited space at the top, all team buses will be at the bottom, however once everyone has crossed the line the finish gantry will be dismantled and two 65 seater buses will take the riders and their bikes back down to the bottom!

Start:

Finish:

Only two stages to go!!!!

Today 15:37

@rghysens:
Thats a great stage. I am even a little bit jealous that I have never created something like that :D
User avatar Gigs_98

Today 16:17

Giro Del Trentino Stage 2: Siusi allo Sciliar- Pramajur 206.3km

Stage 2 and we head West from Siusi and Bolzano to Pramajur, a small skiing village in the north-east of the region. Not as hard as Stage 1, but almost twice as long. 5 categorised climbs today, all 2nd category apart from Edelweiss, which is HC.
We start climbing straight away, although a simple climb to start off with before climbing starts to get serious. 10km in and we start ascending an undulating 10km climb. This is just an appetiser. Then we head down to Bolzano and head up the Edelweiss. 30km of rolling terrain greets the riders when they get to the top. The riders will then go to Merano for the feed zone, before a long false flat, past the first TV in Scilandro. The first of 3 2nd category climbs is now to be taken on, a steady climb. A bit of flat precedes the hardest climb of the day, 4.5 km @ 11.7%. A very short descent a the second TV before quick rise takes us to the highest point of the day, 2100 meters. A technical descent and a swoop around the lake before the we cross over the previous route and up to Pramajur.

Pramajur:

Siusi:

Profile:
Attachments
GDT stage 2(2).png
Sorry still haven't worked out how to post a file :)
GDT stage 2(2).png (140.76 KiB) Viewed 57 times
Brullnux

Previous

Return to Professional road racing