Register

2012 Speculation (and confirmation) thread - rider schedules and parcours

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

20 Oct 2011 02:15

This is a really good thread idea. I am looking forward to seeing all the parcours profiles pop up over the coming months.

I hope that Contador skips Pais Vasco so that it gives Kloden a chance to go back to back ;)
In top grade professional cycling (and in life) it is virtually impossible to be a major winner whilst being 100% clean (or honest). Most GC GT riders are simply doing what they love whilst playing the game.

I'm a huge Kloden fan (or a Klodist) - despite the fact that he rode for Telekom/T-Mobile, Astana and Radioshack :)

Contador at Fuente De - I salute you!

Germany 7 Brazil 1 :D
User avatar gregrowlerson

20 Oct 2011 12:24

Evans is actually starting a few days earlier next year, doing Lugano before Friuli, MSB and T-A.

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=44292
Ferminal

20 Oct 2011 14:35

Timmy-loves-Rabo wrote:On gesink's website I read similar thoughts in an article (not sure who wrote it). Basically is said, gesink will go to the tour underraced, no pressure, if he does well so be it, if not it doesn't matter because his injuries mean no expectations and he can help mollema to a good place. Then still relatively fresh, or rather in full peak form he will destroy the vuelta.

Was very optimistic. In theory it is a good plan tho if it should surface. Considering he will be underraced he should enter the vuelta in fine form.

Also poels, I'd really him to try the giro.

I think they want him on top form for the WC in Valkenburg too. He has been 3th at AGR after all. But I think Mollema has a greater chance with his stronger finish so I hope Mollema can ride the Vuelta, but Tour and Vuelta are probably too much.
Matthijs

21 Oct 2011 07:44

Gilbert to ride the tour to take his early stages and then as a mountain domestique for evans. I think Gilbert is getting delusions of grnadeur and this is the beginning of his stage racing career.
karlboss

21 Oct 2011 07:53

karlboss wrote:Gilbert to ride the tour to take his early stages and then as a mountain domestique for evans. I think Gilbert is getting delusions of grnadeur and this is the beginning of his stage racing career.

I do hope not. I'd rather see him continuing to kick *** in the Classics, I think that's where his talents lie.

I think he's a dead cert for the TdF though, specially with them setting up the first stage specially for him.....

Not so sure about the Giro. If he's wanting a pink jersey, he may give the Giro a miss this year. The Vuelta would be better prep for the Worlds too and that has to be a major goal for him this year.
User avatar Swabian Lass

21 Oct 2011 09:01

Gilbert said in an interview after Lombardy that he regrets not doing the Vuelta as the guys who rode it did much better.

He said that next year the WC is a major goal, and with Lombardy the week after it, I am assuming he will do the Vuelta as prep for those .... so Tour and Vuelta would mean no Giro for him.
User avatar AussieGoddess

21 Oct 2011 09:34

The Hitch wrote:LBL counts under "Ardennes";)

Gilbert said in an interview in the mag "cyclesport" that since hes worn the Vuelta and Tour leaders jerseys he wants to complete the set with a pink one. He ranked it pretty highly on his goals, naming it after the world championships to the question, "what goals have you left to achieve"

But if hes doing Tour Vuelta, probably will leave Giro till 2013.

As long as the Worlds is favorable for him he won't ride the Giro.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

21 Oct 2011 10:57

The Hitch wrote:
Cadel and Contador early schedule and 1 day races

Cadel will probably go for Ardennes. WIll Contador do them? They both do Tirreno or maybe Cadel goes for Paris Nice. I wouldnt be surprised to see them both do Vuelta worlds after the Tour. Whether Contador will try to win some 1 day races or just go for Castille Leon and Pais Vasco is the main question.

Cadel will do Tirreno, pretty sure that has been confirmed, doubt he will do Paris Nice, hasn't done it for the past few years and I think he prefers the racing and parcours in the Italian Race.

The Hitch wrote:We know Contador does Tirreno ;)

Did Gilbert say that ? Just a few months ago he said he wouldnt bother with the Tour with the Liege stage being so flat, though they did change it.

Interesting with Cadel. I think he might do the Vuelta for 3 reasons

1 he was going to do it this year.
2 He is one of those noble characters who cares about cycling beyond the Tour, He would love a Vuelta win.
3 He did the Tour and the Vuelta - for gc when he won the worlds. So if he wants to go for worlds that might be a good way to get peak.

Cadel said on twitter that it is a maybe regarding la vuelta. Worlds is a big target for him next year and I personally don't care for the road cycling at the olympics so for selfish reasons I wouldn't mind him not doing the Olympics. Rest up for la vuelta, the worlds. The course will be good for him especially with the climbing in it with the Cauberg and Bemmelberg (?).
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94

21 Oct 2011 11:02

Ferminal wrote:Evans is actually starting a few days earlier next year, doing Lugano before Friuli, MSB and T-A.

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=44292

Hmmm, I don't see the point in doing Lugano tbh. Lugano is a week or so before those races and is so small that he may as well just start at Friuli.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94

21 Oct 2011 11:36

auscyclefan94 wrote:Hmmm, I don't see the point in doing Lugano tbh. Lugano is a week or so before those races and is so small that he may as well just start at Friuli.

Starting outside your own front door has its advantages.
Tei6chai

21 Oct 2011 11:42

Jakob Fuglsang aims to peak twice in the spring next year. The first peak should be at Paris-Nice or Tirreno. The second one will be at the giro, where he will be leader for Radioshack-Trek. The first will depend on team coordination though..
User avatar Netserk

21 Oct 2011 11:47

auscyclefan94 wrote:Hmmm, I don't see the point in doing Lugano tbh. Lugano is a week or so before those races and is so small that he may as well just start at Friuli.

Appearance fee? :D

Meh, it's only up the road. Probably jealous that Basso won it.
Ferminal

21 Oct 2011 17:19

But the Swiss connections of the BMC team and Evans' knowledge of the area probably makes it pretty logical. They probably are determined to have at least one of their big guns do the race and Evans fits the bill best.
User avatar Libertine Seguros

21 Oct 2011 20:47

According to a Guardian cycling journalist, Geraint Thomas has confirmed he will ride the Giro and not the Tour next year before concentrating on the team pursuit in London.

Velo Nation has an article which implies that Froome will ride the Tour in support of Wiggins and will then lead the team at the Vuelta.
JRanton

21 Oct 2011 22:02

Would be great for Gerraint to ride the Giro,one of the best characters in cycling, but I dont see why. Hell want a stage from a break maybe, but in an olympic year, might be wiser not to fatigue oneself too much.

I mean hes got a very long career in front of him. The olympics are on home soil just this one year. After that hes got a good 8, 9 years to focus on classics, stages, week races, tts, a grand tour position maybe, anything he wants.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

21 Oct 2011 22:06

A couple of weeks ago he said he'd miss the classics and the Tour, and do the Vuelta.

Would Giro-Olympics-Vuelta make any sort of sense?
hatcher

22 Oct 2011 00:21

El Pistolero wrote:As long as the Worlds is favorable for him he won't ride the Giro.

Does anybody know why he did Giro and WC Mendrisio in 2009?

I guess you mean Bemelerberg? I don't know which sides they want to claim, but I've been there many times because it's one of the best nature reserves...
Matthijs

22 Oct 2011 01:53

Contador didn't mention going to Fleche next year did he?
inthedrops.net

blackcat wrote:you must respect the Cobra, a man who can give himself his own nickname. he trancends hubris.
User avatar luckyboy

22 Oct 2011 01:59

luckyboy wrote:Contador didn't mention going to Fleche next year did he?

Tirreno, Catalunya, Pais Vasco, Dauphine, Tour and Vuelta.

Dauphine is probably not a goal itself but prepare for Tour.

If he take all, he will be the UCI winner without doubt
User avatar Forunculo

22 Oct 2011 03:12

Forunculo wrote:Tirreno, Catalunya, Pais Vasco, Dauphine, Tour and Vuelta.

Dauphine is probably not a goal itself but prepare for Tour.

If he take all, he will be the UCI winner without doubt

Might even come first in cq finaly. Hes been runner up 4 years in a row.

And if Valverde owns those Spanish week races like he used to,+ adds some classics and a good gt placing, I wouldnt be surprised to see Contador finish 2nd for a 5th year running.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing