Register

NBA / NCAA Basketball

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: NBA / NCAA Basketball

08 Jun 2019 04:43

You know that anguished blank stare people get in their eyes when they realize all is lost? If someone were to take a team photo of the Worriers right now, everyone of them would look like they just saw a ghost who stole all their precious belongings.
It was nice to see the Worriers trying their best to mimic the full-on attacking defensive style which has already been perfected by the team of destiny==aka the Toronto Raptors. That was cute.
Seems Baby Goat Steph didn't get his suckling today; he was nowhere to be seen. Nor was Klay, whose feet lived up his name. He may as well have been running around on a beach.
But enough of the Worriers.
Toronto let things slip a little during the first half,and almost seemed to have forgotten how great they are. But it did not take long for them to realize they just want to put the Worriers out of their misery. What better way for that to happen than on Monday in Toronto?

Raps in 5!
User avatar the delgados

11 Jun 2019 04:19

Warriors hanging on and force a game six. Thought the Raptors were going to run away with it when Leonard hit two late threes. Warriors showed some fight as expected even though I thought the series was about to end. Been entertaining so far.
movingtarget
Veteran

11 Jun 2019 10:21

They have the opportunity to totally erase what happened in the 2016 Finals here. The three-peat is still a chance. Would be great to see a game 7.
User avatar gregrowlerson

11 Jun 2019 19:41

I still can't tell how many fans were cheering that KD got up, and how many were cheering that he was hurt. I hope that most were cheering that he got up. Green said that it was deflating ('took the life out of us'), but they seemed to play inspired afterward.
jmdirt

12 Jun 2019 20:04

Total disclosure:
I watched the game with a ton of people who were hanging on every single play. Three pointers from the Raps were met with Yeahhhs! from the entire crowd. Three pointers made by the Worriers were followed by audible sighs from the home-town crowd. In short, the atmosphere was intense and everyone was into every second of the game.
I am not going to lie when saying I kind of whooped and hollered for a couple seconds when KD hit the deck. I am definitely not proud of it, but I liken it to watching, say, an F1 race when the nearest competitor to a favoured driver overcooks a corner and ends up in the wall. We all know that his race is over, but the driver is not hurt. No way would anyone in their right mind would cheer if someone was visibly injured. Say, for instance that KD broke his leg like a dry twig. The vast majority of people in the stands would become silent within seconds. Say an F1 driver hit the wall so hard that he looked dead. No one would be cheering.
My point being is that everyone watching the game got caught up in the moment. Part of the narrative is if or when KD was going to play. So it makes sense that fans were happy that one of the best players in the league was not going to play. But there is no way I would trade a Raps championship for a player who could never do his job anymore. That notion is insane.
IMO, these things tend to get played up to a ridiculous degree.
Sort of like the part-owner of the Worriers who pushed Kyle Lowry s shoulder and has been banned for a year and given a $500,000 fine. That is nonsense. Sure, kick the guy out of the game. Don't let him back for the remainder of the series. But it s not like the guy pulled out a baseball bat and started wailing on the player.
Take it easy.
User avatar the delgados

13 Jun 2019 04:47

KD had 'successful' Achilles surgery (ruptured Achilles).
jmdirt

13 Jun 2019 06:41

Late season 2020 then for KD at best. What a disaster.
movingtarget
Veteran

13 Jun 2019 15:17

Worst musculoskeletal injury for a basketball player and nothing short of devastating for a player over 30. These players over 30 hardly ever reach pre-injury level and for many it's career ending. Significant reduction in minutes, more time off, and performance drops noticeably. Remember Kobe? Three more seasons after the injury (with abbreviated playing time) and he was done.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/1/27/16940178/nba-achilles-injury-history-kevin-durant-golden-state-warriors-future

On Durant there's some speculation that it was an Achilles strain in the first place and never a "mild calf strain" as reported by the team back on May 9th. Watching him in pregame warm-ups though, he looked pretty good - jumping, cutting, pivoting, etc., without any noticeable pain or discomfort (though maybe pain meds or NSAIDs?). Nonetheless, from supposedly a "mild calf strain" to a ruptured Achilles...bad deal.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/kevin-durants-original-injury-involved-achilles-sports-doctor-speculates/1pvd1agonr8jj1klkvppwc54wu
Nomad

13 Jun 2019 15:52

This plays out in every big sport,the doctors dance on the razors edge of the Hippocratic oath. The real world diagnosis was, stay off the leg completely for a short time, reevaluate. No matter what doctor given the man's size and extreme physical condition you get no strenuous activity for 10-15 days. If you have legs used as often and in the way Durant used his the only logical state of activity is to rest the strained or broken part.
There is and was too much at stake for the team,the staff, Durant himself and the medical team to do the right thing.
I wonder if Tiger Woods looks back at the stupidity of his centrifuge blood treatment were the doctor ran out of the country ..Tiger needed years not days of voodoo medicine. He needed the tried and true not snake oil.
Durant should have been shelved period..maybe the NBA should hand back the pages of the horse racing handbook were there athletes are dead or broken because of over running.
*and no I don't think that the comparison of race horses and NBA players is a stretch.
Unchained

13 Jun 2019 21:08

the delgados wrote:Total disclosure:
I watched the game with a ton of people who were hanging on every single play. Three pointers from the Raps were met with Yeahhhs! from the entire crowd. Three pointers made by the Worriers were followed by audible sighs from the home-town crowd. In short, the atmosphere was intense and everyone was into every second of the game.
I am not going to lie when saying I kind of whooped and hollered for a couple seconds when KD hit the deck. I am definitely not proud of it, but I liken it to watching, say, an F1 race when the nearest competitor to a favoured driver overcooks a corner and ends up in the wall. We all know that his race is over, but the driver is not hurt. No way would anyone in their right mind would cheer if someone was visibly injured. Say, for instance that KD broke his leg like a dry twig. The vast majority of people in the stands would become silent within seconds. Say an F1 driver hit the wall so hard that he looked dead. No one would be cheering.
My point being is that everyone watching the game got caught up in the moment. Part of the narrative is if or when KD was going to play. So it makes sense that fans were happy that one of the best players in the league was not going to play. But there is no way I would trade a Raps championship for a player who could never do his job anymore. That notion is insane.
Sort of like the part-owner of the Worriers who pushed Kyle Lowry s shoulder and has been banned for a year and given a $500,000 fine. That is nonsense. Sure, kick the guy out of the game. Don't let him back for the remainder of the series. But it s not like the guy pulled out a baseball bat and started wailing on the player.
Take it easy.

A little (okay, a lot) off topic but you being a Torontonian, can you explain why your ice hockey team is the Maple Leafs and not the Maple Leaves?
User avatar oldcrank

Re:

13 Jun 2019 22:09

Unchained wrote:This plays out in every big sport,the doctors dance on the razors edge of the Hippocratic oath. The real world diagnosis was, stay off the leg completely for a short time, reevaluate. No matter what doctor given the man's size and extreme physical condition you get no strenuous activity for 10-15 days. If you have legs used as often and in the way Durant used his the only logical state of activity is to rest the strained or broken part.
There is and was too much at stake for the team,the staff, Durant himself and the medical team to do the right thing.
I wonder if Tiger Woods looks back at the stupidity of his centrifuge blood treatment were the doctor ran out of the country ..Tiger needed years not days of voodoo medicine. He needed the tried and true not snake oil.
Durant should have been shelved period..maybe the NBA should hand back the pages of the horse racing handbook were there athletes are dead or broken because of over running.
*and no I don't think that the comparison of race horses and NBA players is a stretch.

It seems a lot of people including his friends told him not to play. Durant isn't blaming anyone and admitted he wanted to play but he'd already been out for over 30 days without a practice session. The ironic thing is that the Raptors blew the game but of course the damage had already been done to Durant, and his team played three quarters without him and won. It seems the temptation to allow him to play and win another title was too great but how do you say no to one of the sport's superstars anyway ? It could have quite easily been a Lebron or someone else doing exactly what Durant did. Something tells me that the Warriors might have new medical staff next year and the coach is obviously gutted over the whole thing.
movingtarget
Veteran

13 Jun 2019 22:31

oldcrank wrote:
the delgados wrote:Total disclosure:
Take it easy.

A little (okay, a lot) off topic but you being a Torontonian, can you explain why your ice hockey team is the Maple Leafs and not the Maple Leaves?

OK ... I'm being serious here ... is "leaves" even a word? Just askin.

I mean ... Maple Leafs ... fine; "Eats, Shoots and Leafs" ... fine. "She's leafing home ... bye, bye" ... fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong ... but I don't think so.

Strordinary ... very strordinary. Hmmmmmm. :geek:
Alpe73

13 Jun 2019 22:42

@oldcrank:
Dunno.
Same reason why I cannot rationally explain why our beloved basketball team is called the Raptors. Raptors is the dumbest name ever to grace a pro uniform, but we still luv the little gaffers.
Many people have asked the same question you pose regarding the Maple Leafs, but I am far too dumb to provide a proper answer to your question.
Same as the late great Danny Gallivan who called games for Hockey Night in Canada back in the 70 s.
He used to get a ton of mail asking why he used the term quote galvinating blast! Haters said it was not a word.
He replied thusly: It is now!
User avatar the delgados

14 Jun 2019 07:41

The way Thompson was shooting, soon as he went down I thought it was over but the Raptors seemed to get a bit nervous closing it out and the Warriors never gave up. The 3 pointers from Van Vleet were killers and the Warriors kept missing at the line. Curry had an off night and I dunno whether he was just fatigued or what but the defense made it hard for him. Be interesting to see what happens now with the Raptors next season re Kawhi and their roster in general. Entertaining series for all the drama and injury talk as opposed to last year's whitewash.
Last edited by movingtarget on 14 Jun 2019 10:45, edited 1 time in total.
movingtarget
Veteran

14 Jun 2019 09:08

the delgados wrote:@oldcrank:
Dunno.
Same reason why I cannot rationally explain why our beloved basketball team is called the Raptors. Raptors is the dumbest name ever to grace a pro uniform, but we still luv the little gaffers.
Many people have asked the same question you pose regarding the Maple Leafs, but I am far too dumb to provide a proper answer to your question.
Same as the late great Danny Gallivan who called games for Hockey Night in Canada back in the 70 s.
He used to get a ton of mail asking why he used the term quote galvinating blast! Haters said it was not a word.
He replied thusly: It is now!

Legend ... full stop.
Alpe73

14 Jun 2019 14:22

Great basketball for weeks.The NBA playoffs were awesome. The championship was spectacular.
I watched it at a third choice sports bar in Monterey Mexico. Went first to a Buffalo Wild Wings( don't ask) it was packed @30 minutes before game time,second place..full..third place..@75% full 2 minutes into the first quarter and was packed by halftime.
Really fun to see the enthusiasm for the series.
Shame about the injuries
Unchained

14 Jun 2019 14:36

Congrats Raptors!
Good series!
jmdirt

14 Jun 2019 14:48

Woot! High fives! Bro hugs with strangers! Full body hugs with persons of the opposite sex!
Last night we saw it all.
Horns honking many hours after the Raps--aka team of destiny--were crowned NBA Champs. Then again, the horn action might have been road rage at 3 a.m. but I doubt it.
The Raps won! They buried the Worriers and put them out of their misery. Lets face it, the Worriers never really stood a chance, and although it was cute and all that the Raps granted the people of Oakland one more game before moving to the San Francisco Worriers new home, it seemed like overkill at the end. Sure, the refs did their part trying to keep the Worriers in the game by calling phantom fouls, but alas, it was not to be.
The Raps are champs!
Victory parade on Monday! Come join the party!
p.s. Fred VanVleet! Sounds like the winner of Amstel Gold or something. But no, Fred VanVleet is a player who went undrafted. He came from some obscure college no one has ever heard of; he is pretty much a dwarf in basketball terms. His face was puffed up like a basketball, and he was missing a tooth after being on the receiving end of a vicious elbow to the melon. Yet he put that all behind him and went out there to play a game for the annals. Future generations will look at Fred VanVleets sheer tenacity and will to win and cry tears of joy. No matter what calamity is happening here on earth--cyclones, earthquakes, Donald Trump etc--people will look back on Fred VanVleets performance in game 6 and comfort themselves knowing Fred VanVleet is a real person who did amazing things.
User avatar the delgados

14 Jun 2019 18:34

As I've stated a few times, while I completely appreciate his skill I don't like the character that is Steph (I obviously don't know how he is in person so...) . So it will come as no surprise that I also question his post game facetime with Drake. He/his team just lost the NBA finals and he is laughing and joking on the phone with a rapper. I know times are different, but would Bird, Magic, or Air do that? I can't imagine it. I would be crushed, mad, sad...not happy to joke around with a fan from the other team. Just so it doesn't seem like I'm 'picking' on Steph, I feel like James has softened up and would probably do the same thing. Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man! :D

Bad to hear that Klay T has a torn ACL.
jmdirt

14 Jun 2019 22:13

Yay! Stoked for the Raptors!
User avatar Tricycle Rider

PreviousNext

Return to General