Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

18 May 2018 04:08

Because so called peogress only measures by its own normative framework. Not qualitative losses and negatives. One of the many now/ahistorical problems in Pinkers work.
aphronesis
Veteran

Re: Re:

18 May 2018 04:12

aphronesis wrote:

I get that you disagree with Seattle’s decision and it’s true that going back to my high school days they could have handled both their homeless and business influx differently , but the fact that you don’t agree with their stance,let alone the possibility that other cities could do similaly doesn’t make it stupid. More that’s on you for not even being able to think the other positions. Lots of people can think business and materialism but still choose to go different directions. You’ve never shown the capacity the workshop the reverse. The world got by just fine w/o Amazon or Starbucks, it could again.

Again there’s a difference between talking down and reveling and catering to anti-intellectualism so people can feel secure in their laziness. You seem to have mastered all the attributes of right identity politics, while, off coures, naturalizing them.

@graft, true, Trump is riding the wave of the above.

I get that you disagree with Seattle’s decision

Good grasp by you.

let alone the possibility that other cities could do similaly doesn’t make it stupid.

Parroting idiotic positions doesn’t improve with scale.

The world got by just fine w/o Amazon or Starbucks, it could again.

Seattle is fairly new. Could do without it as well.

anti-intellectualism

Always a fun topic on a cycling messageboard.
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

18 May 2018 04:24

I believe you post here as you claim to be bored with race commentary. Just as well: yours is pretty lame. Sure cycling and cyclists should stay dumb.Lead the charge brother.

I don’t believe Seattle cares much about you. Moreover you’ve basically demonstrated that your political beliefs or professional aspirations aren’t sufficient for you follow through on them in any active way.

I’d love to help you with the bitterness you’re working on, but, you know there are people enjoying themselvess clise by.

Maybe a cig in the driveway. You keep hammering the soft lobs out of my posts and you’ll show what a great guy you and your politics amount to.

I’d go easy with that disgusting charge you keep leveling at others.
DJ passed, Busted comes through in the morning
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

18 May 2018 04:39

aphronesis wrote:I believe you post here as you claim to be bored with rave commentary. Just as well: it’s pretty lame. Sure cycling and cyclists should stay dumb.Lead the charge brother.

I don’t believe Seattle cares much about you. Moreover you’ve basically demonstrated that your political beliefs or professional aspirations aren’t sufficient for you follow through on them in any active way.

I’d love to help you with the bitterness you’re working on, but, you know there are people enjoying themselvess clise by.

Maybe a cig in the driveway. You keep hammering the soft lobs out of my posts and you’ll show what a great guy you and your politics amount to.

I don’t believe Seattle cares much about you.

I’m pretty sure Seattle doesn’t care about anything except what they perceive as winning.

Moreover you’ve basically demonstrated that your political beliefs or professional aspirations aren’t sufficient for you follow through on them in any active way.

Even more stupidity. Am I wasting my time with you?

Must be painful to feel compelled to respond to those so.far.beneath.you. So why do it?

You keep hammering the soft lobs out of my posts and you’ll show what a great guy you and your politics amount to.

I understand. You never know who’s reading this thread. I’ll go a bit easier on you.

So... how’s the weather in NYC?
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

18 May 2018 04:43

Scoot, no one’s beneath me. You may orient your life differently. Keep the insecurity rollling though.

You go as hard as you want. I frankly don’t care who reads the thread.

How you wasrte your time is your call.
aphronesis
Veteran

Re: U.S. Politics

18 May 2018 12:08

Don't ya suppose this moron would do a little research before shooting his mouth off about what a tough guy he is?
The model Bolton was referring to was Gaddafi’s agreement in December 2003 to surrender his embryonic nuclear weapons programme, which included allowing his uranium centrifuges to be shipped out to the US.

But Trump appeared to be unaware of that agreement, and interpreted the “Libyan model” to mean the 2011 Nato intervention in Libya in support of an insurrection, which ultimately led to Gaddafi’s murder at the hands of rebels in Tripoli.

“The model, if you look at that model with Gaddafi, that was a total decimation. We went in there to beat him. Now that model would take place if we don’t make a deal, most likely. But if we make a deal, I think Kim Jong-un is going to be very, very happy,” Trump said, suggesting that the regime’s survival could be assured if Kim agreed to disarm.

So donnie is a gonna invade if Kim doesn't play along..a threat to remove him and have him killed unless he removes all his nukes..I'm SURE Kim will do that..NOT. But at least let your underlings tell you a little history, you idiot.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/may/17/north-korea-trump-latest-warning-kim-jong-un-gaddafi
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran

Re:

18 May 2018 12:13

aphronesis wrote:I believe you post here as you claim to be bored with race commentary. Just as well: yours is pretty lame. Sure cycling and cyclists should stay dumb.Lead the charge brother.

Ah gee...I don't mind, it's easy to point out the latest trump idiocy in the AM then have scott ignore it and do the very trumpian thing and call people names and such..
President Donald Trump's son Eric has tweeted that he's grateful for the efforts of Doral and Miami-Dade police after a shooting at the Trump National Doral resort in south Florida.

What? The caddies and desk people at donnie's golf paradise aren't armed to the teeth? WTF? Major fail..if teachers can be armed, well... :lol:
Veteran

18 May 2018 12:18

Scott SoCal wrote:
GraftPunk wrote:Still missing the point I think. He ran his campaign on american's insecurities about immigrants, and has consistently painted them with the same broad (negative) brush since elected. His admin platform is basically a combination of bullying, hyperbole, and fear-mongering. His "poorly educated" base laps it up, yet when he rants about criminals it's focused on immigration, which is also lapped up.

He ran his campaign on american's insecurities about immigrants, and has consistently painted them with the same broad (negative) brush since elected.

Nope. His take on immigration is to vet who's coming and secure the border. It's not even radical. The difference, of course, is he's going to keep his promise. That's why both sides are pushing back.

Beyond that there were more components to his campaign than immigration.

His "poorly educated" base laps it up

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. The biggest beneficiaries of his immigration policy has been Blacks and Hispanics (see record low unemployment).

This is hilarious scott..his poorly educated base, ya know, those deplorables, are white and mostly male. Kinda like those who wear black shirts and yell, 'we will take the streets'..from ya know, blacks, latinos, jews..anybody not white and 'christian'...
Veteran

18 May 2018 12:38

Bustedknuckle wrote:
aphronesis wrote:I believe you post here as you claim to be bored with race commentary. Just as well: yours is pretty lame. Sure cycling and cyclists should stay dumb.Lead the charge brother.

Ah gee...I don't mind, it's easy to point out the latest trump idiocy in the AM then have scott ignore it and do the very trumpian thing and call people names and such..
President Donald Trump's son Eric has tweeted that he's grateful for the efforts of Doral and Miami-Dade police after a shooting at the Trump National Doral resort in south Florida.

What? The caddies and desk people at donnie's golf paradise aren't armed to the teeth? WTF? Major fail..if teachers can be armed, well... :lol:

Self awareness. Get some.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

18 May 2018 12:41

aphronesis
Veteran

18 May 2018 12:44

Bustedknuckle wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:
GraftPunk wrote:Still missing the point I think. He ran his campaign on american's insecurities about immigrants, and has consistently painted them with the same broad (negative) brush since elected. His admin platform is basically a combination of bullying, hyperbole, and fear-mongering. His "poorly educated" base laps it up, yet when he rants about criminals it's focused on immigration, which is also lapped up.

He ran his campaign on american's insecurities about immigrants, and has consistently painted them with the same broad (negative) brush since elected.

Nope. His take on immigration is to vet who's coming and secure the border. It's not even radical. The difference, of course, is he's going to keep his promise. That's why both sides are pushing back.

Beyond that there were more components to his campaign than immigration.

His "poorly educated" base laps it up

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. The biggest beneficiaries of his immigration policy has been Blacks and Hispanics (see record low unemployment).

This is hilarious scott..his poorly educated base, ya know, those deplorables, are white and mostly male. Kinda like those who wear black shirts and yell, 'we will take the streets'..from ya know, blacks, latinos, jews..anybody not white and 'christian'...

There’s not enough poorly educated white male votes to land anyone in the Oval Office... however I realize you are a long way down your rabbit hole.

Just a couple of posts back you were saying something about name calling.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

18 May 2018 13:14

“She lost the old-fashioned way, by being a terrible candidate. Case closed.”
Beech Mtn

18 May 2018 13:15

No big surprise here.

The firestorm began after a White House meeting on Wednesday where Fresno County, Calif., Sheriff Margaret Mims was speaking about California "sanctuary city" laws.

“There could be an MS-13 gang member I know about, if they don’t reach a certain threshold, I cannot tell ICE about them," Mims said to the president.

“You wouldn’t believe how bad these people are. These aren’t people, these are animals, and we’re taking them out of the country at a level and at a rate that’s never happened before," Trump responded.

The video is posted upthread if anybody is interested, then we get this...

NY Times

Trump lashed out at undocumented immigrants during a White House meeting, calling those trying to breach the country’s borders “animals” https://nyti.ms/2rJgCjs

CBS News

These aren't people. These are animals." President Trump used the harsh rhetoric to describe some undocumented immigrants during a California "sanctuary state" roundtable. https://cbsn.ws/2IpNIvO

NBC News

“We're taking people out of the country — you wouldn't believe how bad these people are. These aren't people. These are animals."

President Trump says the U.S. has "the dumbest laws on immigration in the world" during a roundtable on sanctuary cities.

ABC News

Pres. Trump refers to some who cross the border illegally as 'animals,' not people. "You wouldn't believe how bad these people are."

The president was holding a roundtable discussion with California elected officials who oppose the state's sanctuary law. https://abcn.ws/2rPYlRo
5:33 PM - May 16, 2018

CNN

We're taking people out of the country. You wouldn't believe how bad these people are. These aren't people — these are animals." During a meeting with public officials who oppose California’s sanctuary policies, Pres. Trump criticized US immigration laws https://trib.al/jDv

All of which was designed to stir up the Bustedknuckles of the world. It worked.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

Re:

18 May 2018 13:19

Beech Mtn wrote:Image

User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

Re:

18 May 2018 15:20

Dazed and Confused wrote:After a serious dead water period it would appear the US Politics thread has been resuscitated. Now if Alpe came back the quality would further increase...

yeah... this place needed a little wake-up.

User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

18 May 2018 15:36

Cool! Only 8 people killed this time!! Not that many, so no worries...in the state with the third most concealed carry permits, this still happens, but no big deal...it's only 8 people...so far anyway...wait, it sounds like one of them may have been a cop...well, we should morn him or her, right?...but the kids, well, they're just the sacrifice we have to make so we can have a hodge podge of firearms laws, and no serious discussions about changing anything...
Last edited by ChewbaccaDefense on 18 May 2018 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
ChewbaccaDefense

18 May 2018 15:44

Time for more thoughts and prayers, because that's so f**king effective...
ChewbaccaDefense

Re:

18 May 2018 16:08

ChewbaccaDefense wrote:Cool! Only 8 people killed this time!! Not that many, so no worries...in the state with the third most concealed carry permits, this still happens, but no big deal...it's only 8 people...so far anyway...wait, it sounds like one of them may have been a cop...well, we should morn him or her, right?...but the kids, well, they're just the sacrifice we have to make so we can have a hodge podge of firearms laws, and no serious discussions about changing anything...

No mention of the shooter. Capital murder is illegal and in Texas is punishable by death. And yet it still happens.

In the last 12 hours or so 11 people have been shot in Chicago, 3 killed. Earlier this month 40 were shot in a 3 day span.

I didn't see any posts here expressing outrage.

We have a serious problem in this country that is not only limited to a hodge podge of gun laws.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

18 May 2018 16:14

Scott SoCal wrote:
ChewbaccaDefense wrote:Cool! Only 8 people killed this time!! Not that many, so no worries...in the state with the third most concealed carry permits, this still happens, but no big deal...it's only 8 people...so far anyway...wait, it sounds like one of them may have been a cop...well, we should morn him or her, right?...but the kids, well, they're just the sacrifice we have to make so we can have a hodge podge of firearms laws, and no serious discussions about changing anything...

No mention of the shooter. Capital murder is illegal and in Texas is punishable by death. And yet it still happens.

In the last 12 hours or so 11 people have been shot in Chicago, 3 killed. Earlier this month 40 were shot in a 3 day span.

We have a serious problem in this country that is not only limited to a hodge podge of gun laws.

That you pretend that being mortified by school shootings, equates to no care for people being shot anywhere, it evidence of your f**king hack nature. F**k you Scott.

We have a problem that Republican lawmakers do nothing about, and in most instances make worse. Don't talk to me about mental health issues, when the people you vote for do everything they can to make that harder to deal with. So, seriously, and I say this while sending you thoughts and prayers, go f**k yourself.

BTW, the hodge podge of gun laws, is a major source of the problem in Chicago...which I've stated before.
ChewbaccaDefense

18 May 2018 16:22

ChewbaccaDefense wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:

That you pretend that being mortified by school shootings, equates to no care for people being shot anywhere, it evidence of your f**king hack nature. F**k you Scott.

We have a problem that Republican lawmakers do nothing about, and in most instances make worse. Don't talk to me about mental health issues, when the people you vote for do everything they can to make that harder to deal with. So, seriously, and I say this while sending you thoughts and prayers, go f**k yourself.

You vote for pols with policies that perpetuate a dependent/desperate class that turns to thugism to get ahead. None of us are perfect.

I don't agree with all things republican just as you don't agree with all things democrat.

But I realize your need to lash out and place blame (on me) over-rides rational thinking and any attempt at really looking at root causes. You simply aren't willing to do that.

So, blame the gun. Blame it again at the next shooting and so on.

Edit;

We didn't talk about this one either.

A school shooting may have been narrowly averted on Wednesday — thanks in part to the quick response of a school resource officer, who shot a gunman before anyone else was harmed.

The authorities in Dixon, Ill., said the officer, Mark Dallas, was on duty at Dixon High School near a gymnasium, where students were gathered for a graduation rehearsal, when he heard gunshots at 8:06 a.m. He confronted the gunman, chased him out of the school and pursued him down a nearby street, the police said.

The gunman, a student at the school identified as Matthew A. Milby, 19, of Dixon, shot at the officer but missed, the police said. Mr. Dallas returned fire and struck Mr. Milby, who was taken to a hospital for non-life-threatening injuries.

Barely made the news. I'll leave it to you to work out why.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/17/us/dixon-school-shooting.html
Last edited by Scott SoCal on 18 May 2018 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General