Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

18 May 2018 16:37

Scott SoCal wrote:
ChewbaccaDefense wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:
ChewbaccaDefense wrote:Cool! Only 8 people killed this time!! Not that many, so no worries...in the state with the third most concealed carry permits, this still happens, but no big deal...it's only 8 people...so far anyway...wait, it sounds like one of them may have been a cop...well, we should morn him or her, right?...but the kids, well, they're just the sacrifice we have to make so we can have a hodge podge of firearms laws, and no serious discussions about changing anything...

No mention of the shooter. Capital murder is illegal and in Texas is punishable by death. And yet it still happens.

In the last 12 hours or so 11 people have been shot in Chicago, 3 killed. Earlier this month 40 were shot in a 3 day span.

I didn't see any posts here expressing outrage.

We have a serious problem in this country that is not only limited to a hodge podge of gun laws.

That you pretend that being mortified by school shootings, equates to no care for people being shot anywhere, it evidence of your f**king hack nature. F**k you Scott.

We have a problem that Republican lawmakers do nothing about, and in most instances make worse. Don't talk to me about mental health issues, when the people you vote for do everything they can to make that harder to deal with. So, seriously, and I say this while sending you thoughts and prayers, go f**k yourself.

You vote for pols with policies that perpetuate a dependent/desperate class that turns to thugism to get ahead. None of us are perfect.

I don't agree with all things republican just as you don't agree with all things democrat.

But I realize your need to lash out and place blame (on me) over-rides rational thinking and any attempt at really looking at root causes. You simply aren't willing to do that.

So, blame the gun. Blame it again at the next shooting and so on.

And you're unwilling to admit that there is an issue involving firearms, and the ineffective nature of the current state of the laws governing them...which is interesting, considering the fact that these types of shootings only seem to happen on this scale, in the US. As I will always remind you, and anyone like you who suggests that firearms are not an issue, on the day of Sandy Hook, a man walked into a school in China with a knife, and attacked almost the exact same number of people as did Adam Lanza...the difference is that everyone in the school in China lived...but, yeah, guns are not part of the problem...

As for perpetuation of poverty...that's a necessary component of capitalism, dog. Time to look inward...nice dog whistles though..."thugism"...#MAGA
ChewbaccaDefense

18 May 2018 16:42

....but you go think and pray harder, because that is going to work one day, I just know it!
ChewbaccaDefense

18 May 2018 16:45

...turns out the cop was just injured...so it's just dead kids, so it's all good. Nothing can be done to prevent this, so lets just move on...because that's what's going to happen anyway. I'm out.
ChewbaccaDefense

18 May 2018 17:01

According to the new darling of the intellectual dark web, part of the solution is enforced monogamy.
Violent attacks are what happens when men do not have partners, Mr. Peterson says, and society needs to work to make sure those men are married.

“He was angry at God because women were rejecting him,” Mr. Peterson says of the Toronto killer. “The cure for that is enforced monogamy. That’s actually why monogamy emerges.”
But aside from interventions that would redistribute sex, Mr. Peterson is staunchly against what he calls “equality of outcomes,” or efforts to equalize society. He usually calls them pathological or evil.

He agrees that this is inconsistent. But preventing hordes of single men from violence, he believes, is necessary for the stability of society. Enforced monogamy helps neutralize that.

In situations where there is too much mate choice, “a small percentage of the guys have hyper-access to women, and so they don’t form relationships with women,” he said. “And the women hate that.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/18/style/jordan-peterson-12-rules-for-life.html
Donald Trump: “If you go back to the Civil War, it was the Republicans who did the thing.”
djpbaltimore

Re:

18 May 2018 17:12

ChewbaccaDefense wrote:....but you go think and pray harder, because that is going to work one day, I just know it!

Well you know the institutionalization and monetization of all facets of human experience might finally be producing a glut of production with reduced qualitative life “profit”. Surely that plays a part in the ghetto violence too.

(I can translate that for the merikans and entry level ESL folk as needed.)
aphronesis
Veteran

18 May 2018 17:45

ChewbaccaDefense wrote:
And you're unwilling to admit that there is an issue involving firearms, and the ineffective nature of the current state of the laws governing them...which is interesting, considering the fact that these types of shootings only seem to happen on this scale, in the US. As I will always remind you, and anyone like you who suggests that firearms are not an issue, on the day of Sandy Hook, a man walked into a school in China with a knife, and attacked almost the exact same number of people as did Adam Lanza...the difference is that everyone in the school in China lived...but, yeah, guns are not part of the problem...

As for perpetuation of poverty...that's a necessary component of capitalism, dog. Time to look inward...nice dog whistles though..."thugism"...#MAGA

Your hands are completely clean, bro. It's always the fault of another. Rest easy.

As for perpetuation of poverty...that's a necessary component of capitalism, dog.

How capitalism is making poverty history

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/greenpolitics/developingworld/12068973/This-year-take-heart-Capitalism-is-saving-the-world.html

But perhaps more telling than such extreme examples is the fact that countries in the top quartile of the Cato Institute’s annual Economic Freedom of the World Index had an average per capita GDP of $31,501 in 2009, compared with $4,545 for those nations in the bottom quartile. The poorest 10 percent of the population in the most economically free nations had an income more than twice the average income in the least economically free nations.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2013/09/capitalisms-triumph-michael-tanner/
https://www.cato.org/economic-freedom-world

The world’s achievement in the field of poverty reduction is, by almost any measure, impressive. Although many of the original MDGs—such as cutting maternal mortality by three-quarters and child mortality by two-thirds—will not be met, the aim of halving global poverty between 1990 and 2015 was achieved five years early.

The MDGs may have helped marginally, by creating a yardstick for measuring progress, and by focusing minds on the evil of poverty. Most of the credit, however, must go to capitalism and free trade, for they enable economies to grow—and it was growth, principally, that has eased destitution.

Poverty rates started to collapse towards the end of the 20th century largely because developing-country growth accelerated, from an average annual rate of 4.3% in 1960-2000 to 6% in 2000-10. Around two-thirds of poverty reduction within a country comes from growth. Greater equality also helps, contributing the other third. A 1% increase in incomes in the most unequal countries produces a mere 0.6% reduction in poverty; in the most equal countries, it yields a 4.3% cut.

Markets v misery

That is a lot of ifs. But making those things happen is not as difficult as cynics profess. The world now knows how to reduce poverty. A lot of targeted policies—basic social safety nets and cash-transfer schemes, such as Brazil’s Bolsa Família—help. So does binning policies like fuel subsidies to Indonesia’s middle class and China’s hukou household-registration system (see article) that boost inequality. But the biggest poverty-reduction measure of all is liberalising markets to let poor people get richer. That means freeing trade between countries (Africa is still cruelly punished by tariffs) and within them (China’s real great leap forward occurred because it allowed private business to grow). Both India and Africa are crowded with monopolies and restrictive practices.

Many Westerners have reacted to recession by seeking to constrain markets and roll globalisation back in their own countries, and they want to export these ideas to the developing world, too. It does not need such advice. It is doing quite nicely, largely thanks to the same economic principles that helped the developed world grow rich and could pull the poorest of the poor out of destitution.

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2013/06/01/towards-the-end-of-poverty
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

18 May 2018 18:17

aphronesis wrote:
ChewbaccaDefense wrote:....but you go think and pray harder, because that is going to work one day, I just know it!

Well you know the institutionalization and monetization of all facets of human experience might finally be producing a glut of production with reduced qualitative life “profit”. Surely that plays a part in the ghetto violence too.

That's f**king brilliant!
ChewbaccaDefense

18 May 2018 18:44

Scott SoCal wrote:
ChewbaccaDefense wrote:

Your hands are completely clean, bro. It's always the fault of another. Rest easy.

As for perpetuation of poverty...that's a necessary component of capitalism, dog.

How capitalism is making poverty history

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/greenpolitics/developingworld/12068973/This-year-take-heart-Capitalism-is-saving-the-world.html

But perhaps more telling than such extreme examples is the fact that countries in the top quartile of the Cato Institute’s annual Economic Freedom of the World Index had an average per capita GDP of $31,501 in 2009, compared with $4,545 for those nations in the bottom quartile. The poorest 10 percent of the population in the most economically free nations had an income more than twice the average income in the least economically free nations.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2013/09/capitalisms-triumph-michael-tanner/
https://www.cato.org/economic-freedom-world

The world’s achievement in the field of poverty reduction is, by almost any measure, impressive. Although many of the original MDGs—such as cutting maternal mortality by three-quarters and child mortality by two-thirds—will not be met, the aim of halving global poverty between 1990 and 2015 was achieved five years early.

The MDGs may have helped marginally, by creating a yardstick for measuring progress, and by focusing minds on the evil of poverty. Most of the credit, however, must go to capitalism and free trade, for they enable economies to grow—and it was growth, principally, that has eased destitution.

Poverty rates started to collapse towards the end of the 20th century largely because developing-country growth accelerated, from an average annual rate of 4.3% in 1960-2000 to 6% in 2000-10. Around two-thirds of poverty reduction within a country comes from growth. Greater equality also helps, contributing the other third. A 1% increase in incomes in the most unequal countries produces a mere 0.6% reduction in poverty; in the most equal countries, it yields a 4.3% cut.

Markets v misery

That is a lot of ifs. But making those things happen is not as difficult as cynics profess. The world now knows how to reduce poverty. A lot of targeted policies—basic social safety nets and cash-transfer schemes, such as Brazil’s Bolsa Família—help. So does binning policies like fuel subsidies to Indonesia’s middle class and China’s hukou household-registration system (see article) that boost inequality. But the biggest poverty-reduction measure of all is liberalising markets to let poor people get richer. That means freeing trade between countries (Africa is still cruelly punished by tariffs) and within them (China’s real great leap forward occurred because it allowed private business to grow). Both India and Africa are crowded with monopolies and restrictive practices.

Many Westerners have reacted to recession by seeking to constrain markets and roll globalisation back in their own countries, and they want to export these ideas to the developing world, too. It does not need such advice. It is doing quite nicely, largely thanks to the same economic principles that helped the developed world grow rich and could pull the poorest of the poor out of destitution.

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2013/06/01/towards-the-end-of-poverty

...says the guy who brought an economic argument to a gun fight...You love moving goalposts in your little football game...I'd mix a metaphor in regarding deck chairs and the ship god couldn't sink, but what's the point? You believe libertarianism is a viable solution, and that kind of fantasy thinking is robust to change.
ChewbaccaDefense

18 May 2018 18:54

ChewbaccaDefense wrote:
...says the guy who brought an economic argument to a gun fight...You love moving goalposts in your little football game...I'd mix a metaphor in regarding deck chairs and the ship god couldn't sink, but what's the point? You believe libertarianism is a viable solution, and that kind of fantasy thinking is robust to change.

You link poverty as a necessary component of Capitalism then beat me over the head with it even if it's demonstrably false.

Socially I kinda think letting people do what they want so long as others aren't hurt is probably okay. You clearly think otherwise.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

18 May 2018 18:55

Scott SoCal wrote:
Bustedknuckle wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:
GraftPunk wrote:Still missing the point I think. He ran his campaign on american's insecurities about immigrants, and has consistently painted them with the same broad (negative) brush since elected. His admin platform is basically a combination of bullying, hyperbole, and fear-mongering. His "poorly educated" base laps it up, yet when he rants about criminals it's focused on immigration, which is also lapped up.

He ran his campaign on american's insecurities about immigrants, and has consistently painted them with the same broad (negative) brush since elected.

Nope. His take on immigration is to vet who's coming and secure the border. It's not even radical. The difference, of course, is he's going to keep his promise. That's why both sides are pushing back.

Beyond that there were more components to his campaign than immigration.

His "poorly educated" base laps it up

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. The biggest beneficiaries of his immigration policy has been Blacks and Hispanics (see record low unemployment).

This is hilarious scott..his poorly educated base, ya know, those deplorables, are white and mostly male. Kinda like those who wear black shirts and yell, 'we will take the streets'..from ya know, blacks, latinos, jews..anybody not white and 'christian'...

There’s not enough poorly educated white male votes to land anyone in the Oval Office... however I realize you are a long way down your rabbit hole.

Just a couple of posts back you were saying something about name calling.

Ignorance everywhere...his deplorables has shrunk to something less than 35%...
Deplorables, should be in the dictionary...under heading of racists, add sexists, alt-right, neonnazis, you know who I’m talking about Scott, the David duke arm of trump world...and geee, ‘self aware’ huh? Nice snippet. Very trump-twitter-esque.
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran

18 May 2018 19:03

aphronesis wrote:

You mean after decades of increased qualitative (and quantitative) life "profit?" I guess we are right around the corner of the next great famine.

Surely that plays a part in the ghetto violence too.

Perhaps. Probably not limited to only the ghetto. I'd guess the low-expectations, family destruction and minimal existence in exchange for votes plays a much bigger role.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

Re: U.S. Politics

18 May 2018 19:08

More fallout from trump trying to undo anything from the Muslim from Kenya, president Obama.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/05/18/opinions/europe-trumps-eye-andelman-opinion-intl/index.html
Last edited by Bustedknuckle on 18 May 2018 19:09, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran

Re:

18 May 2018 19:09

ChewbaccaDefense wrote:...turns out the cop was just injured...so it's just dead kids, so it's all good. Nothing can be done to prevent this, so lets just move on...because that's what's going to happen anyway. I'm out.

And this is why it's prudent to wait until facts are known before you start pointing fingers.

SANTA FE, Texas -- As many as 10 people were killed in a shooting Friday morning at a high school south of Houston, law enforcement sources confirmed to CBS News. School district Police Chief Walter Braun said that explosive devices were found in Santa Fe High School and the surrounding area.

The suspect in custody was identified as Dimitrios Pagourtzis, 17, of Santa Fe, according to law enforcement sources. Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said a male suspect was in custody and a person of interest was detained and questioned. He didn't identify the two but said both were believed to be students at the school.

Police found pressure cookers and pipe bombs around the school, a law enforcement source told CBS News.

There was an active search for explosives, a federal law enforcement source told CBS News justice and homeland security correspondent Jeff Pegues. Authorities were in the process of rendering them safe and asked the public to call 911 if they see anything suspicious.

Sources confirmed to Pegues that authorities were searching property related to the suspect.

Gonzalez said eight to 10 people, most of them students, were killed.

Sounds like a bit more than a school shooting. Any bets on whether there's a long list of warning signs missed for the perp?
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

18 May 2018 19:14

Scott SoCal wrote:
ChewbaccaDefense wrote:...turns out the cop was just injured...so it's just dead kids, so it's all good. Nothing can be done to prevent this, so lets just move on...because that's what's going to happen anyway. I'm out.

And this is why it's prudent to wait until facts are known before you start pointing fingers.

SANTA FE, Texas -- As many as 10 people were killed in a shooting Friday morning at a high school south of Houston, law enforcement sources confirmed to CBS News. School district Police Chief Walter Braun said that explosive devices were found in Santa Fe High School and the surrounding area.

The suspect in custody was identified as Dimitrios Pagourtzis, 17, of Santa Fe, according to law enforcement sources. Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said a male suspect was in custody and a person of interest was detained and questioned. He didn't identify the two but said both were believed to be students at the school.

Police found pressure cookers and pipe bombs around the school, a law enforcement source told CBS News.

There was an active search for explosives, a federal law enforcement source told CBS News justice and homeland security correspondent Jeff Pegues. Authorities were in the process of rendering them safe and asked the public to call 911 if they see anything suspicious.

Sources confirmed to Pegues that authorities were searching property related to the suspect.

Sounds like a bit more than a school shooting. Any bets on whether there's a long list of warning signs missed for the perp?

Did the bombs kill anyone? Because the firearms sure as f**k did...but it was kids and staff, so those patriot's blood watered the tree of liberty, once again, so it's all good.
ChewbaccaDefense

18 May 2018 19:15

Bustedknuckle wrote:
Ignorance everywhere...his deplorables has shrunk to something less than 35%...
Deplorables, should be in the dictionary...under heading of racists, add sexists, alt-right, neonnazis, you know who I’m talking about Scott, the David duke arm of trump world...and geee, ‘self aware’ huh? Nice snippet. Very trump-twitter-esque.

Ignorance everywhere.

Apparently so.

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Friday shows that 50% of Likely U.S. Voters approve of President Trump’s job performance.

Dang.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/trump_administration/prez_track_may18
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

18 May 2018 19:18

ChewbaccaDefense wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:

Did the bombs kill anyone? Because the firearms sure as f**k did...but it was kids and staff, so those patriot's blood watered the tree of liberty, once again, so it's all good.

Dunno, and it's not good. But if there were dead from the bombs would you be any more or any less riled up?

The Daily Caller reported that social media pages that purport to belong to Pagourtzis reveal that he was obsessed with guns, knives and animal torture. They also showed that he owned a trench coat with USSR and Nazi medals on it (the jacket can be seen in the photo above). His Facebook page also appeared to suggest an obsession with Satanism.

Photos from his Instagram account appeared to show a collection of guns and knives.

According to Cassandra Fairbanks, Dimitrios Pagourtzis was a "Columbiner": he had the same button that Dylan Klebold wore on his shoe during the columbine massacre.

Two students said the Santa Fe shooter was wearing a black trench coat and had a sawed-off shotgun.

One local hospital said it received eight patients, six of whom had been discharged. One of the others was in critical condition, another was in fair condition. The victims were all high school students.

A second suspect has been detained, but it's unclear if they are still in custody.

A sawed off shot gun. Hmmmm.
Last edited by Scott SoCal on 18 May 2018 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

18 May 2018 19:22

...BTW, go buy some diesel fuel and fertilizer, in quantity, and the FBI will begin following your activities...

Early reports on the shooter are that he was a white male, gun nut...I can't imagine how we can begin to understand who perpetrates these types of crimes...
ChewbaccaDefense

18 May 2018 19:24

Scott SoCal wrote:
ChewbaccaDefense wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:

Dunno, and it's not good. But if there were dead from the bombs would you be any more or any less riled up?

Would you?
ChewbaccaDefense

18 May 2018 19:26

...and if poverty isn't a necessary component of capitalism, then why do capitalists move their facilities to countries with greater poverty...it sure as f**k isn't to raise the standard of living...
ChewbaccaDefense

Re: U.S. Politics

18 May 2018 19:29

ChewbaccaDefense

PreviousNext

Return to General