Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: U.S. Politics

10 Aug 2018 12:32

trump's racism against anybody 'darker than a latte' is obvious, as is his dislike and disdain of anything African-American..His hate of anything non white dates well before his ridiculous 'birther' nonsense and his intent of removing anything 'Obama', the first African-American POTUS.

Good overview..scott..

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/aug/10/trump-omarosa-book-history-race
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran

10 Aug 2018 13:34

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_Towers_Istanbul
Trump Towers Istanbul - in the middle of DJT's latest attack on Turkey.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

10 Aug 2018 16:11

I read a couple of things yesterday about NYC cab drivers killing themselves over a sense of helplessness..the TLC taxi medallions are in value freefall . In the past you got a medallion for @$500,000 and drove 12 hour shifts and could make a living. W ride-sharing services popping up overnight, more and more the taxi business is a loser.. lots of the cabbies borrowed money that they can't pay back..
In San Diego, there is a big government tussle over AirBnB.. and others.. locals saying that when they buy a @$6-700,000 dollar home in a single family neighborhood others should not be able to create an impromptu hotel-motel business at the drop of a hat and unregulated. The people for the services say that it's there income and it will hurt tourism.
When I was living in Brooklyn..(Prospect Heights) I came home from work..a very handsome young couple was sitting on my stoop enjoying a glass of wine and a smoke.. I was nice to them and assumed they were guests of one of the other tennants ..6 apts.. didn't think anything of it..few weeks later some frat boy types were carrying on at 3 in the morning.. fumbling around w the building front door key. I opened the window and yelled down.." can I help you?" One of the guys responded Yes.. could I open the door.. I asked why they didn't use the buzzer.then they explained that there was nobody inside the apartment to buzz them in.. they were renting the apartment off of Craigslist..it seems that it worked itself out.. because I never complained but a couple of the single women in the building came unglued over it..
I really think between the gig economy and just technology and cultural evolution we are going to see everything change. I did a last minute booking in Sacramento for @$44 dollars after many of my previous room quotes were $110 dollars plus per night for no cockroaches and secure parking for the motorcycle w all the touring junk strapped on..
Not so long ago I would have just paid the $110 just to be done with it..
I don't consider myself heavy into the internet economy but I have changed almost 100% from the way I did things@10 years ago..
Unchained

Re:

11 Aug 2018 01:02

Unchained wrote:I read a couple of things yesterday about NYC cab drivers killing themselves over a sense of helplessness..the TLC taxi medallions are in value freefall . In the past you got a medallion for @$500,000 and drove 12 hour shifts and could make a living. W ride-sharing services popping up overnight, more and more the taxi business is a loser.. lots of the cabbies borrowed money that they can't pay back..
In San Diego, there is a big government tussle over AirBnB.. and others.. locals saying that when they buy a @$6-700,000 dollar home in a single family neighborhood others should not be able to create an impromptu hotel-motel business at the drop of a hat and unregulated. The people for the services say that it's there income and it will hurt tourism.
When I was living in Brooklyn..(Prospect Heights) I came home from work..a very handsome young couple was sitting on my stoop enjoying a glass of wine and a smoke.. I was nice to them and assumed they were guests of one of the other tennants ..6 apts.. didn't think anything of it..few weeks later some frat boy types were carrying on at 3 in the morning.. fumbling around w the building front door key. I opened the window and yelled down.." can I help you?" One of the guys responded Yes.. could I open the door.. I asked why they didn't use the buzzer.then they explained that there was nobody inside the apartment to buzz them in.. they were renting the apartment off of Craigslist..it seems that it worked itself out.. because I never complained but a couple of the single women in the building came unglued over it..
I really think between the gig economy and just technology and cultural evolution we are going to see everything change. I did a last minute booking in Sacramento for @$44 dollars after many of my previous room quotes were $110 dollars plus per night for no cockroaches and secure parking for the motorcycle w all the touring junk strapped on..
Not so long ago I would have just paid the $110 just to be done with it..
I don't consider myself heavy into the internet economy but I have changed almost 100% from the way I did things@10 years ago..

The gig economy can better be described as the broker economy. A person with a database, a cable connection, and a computer can take a broker's cut out of a person's (barely) living wage. I hope that cooperative setups can replace those greedy bastards over time.
User avatar MarkvW
Veteran

Re:

11 Aug 2018 11:53

User avatar roundabout
Veteran

11 Aug 2018 19:26

Just read a post from a firefighter who fought the Mendocino fire and It had nothing to do with uncut forests. The forests there are not thick forests, with dense under brush. It has nothing to do with unharvested trees. It had everything to do with our previous drought conditions (you know, not because of that thing that 100% of the scientists who work for the petroleum industry agree doesn't exist), hot weather with strong winds, and remote terrain.
ChewbaccaDefense

11 Aug 2018 22:25

Well you know that’s a govt. funded firefighter (not that there’s not bloat and shortsightedness in bureaucracy) so best to blame it on mismanagement.
aphronesis
Veteran

12 Aug 2018 12:13

Just no fun without scott trying to defend this butt-head of a president, his rude, ignorant posts and the attempt by trumpTV to paint a different picture of this moron.
The riots in Charlottesville a year ago resulted in senseless death and division. We must come together as a nation. I condemn all types of racism and acts of violence. Peace to ALL Americans!

Wonder who wrote that for him, sure wasn't him..on the heels of slamming black NFL players, Lebron James, and his numerous attacks on non white people(remember when he got into an argument with the widow of a Army hero who was killed? Amazing-ly dumb donnie). "I condemn all types of racism', unless it comes from him.

'We must come together as a nation', from the divider-in-chief..his hypocrisy is stunning..
Veteran

12 Aug 2018 15:15

If you process things using Trump math you can get a better idea of what is important to him and his handlers..
Anything about race, protests, killing, police brutality,gun violence, Colin and the kneelers .. each has a comment and Twitter number value..
People have been beaten, intimidated and killed about differences of opinion on the subject.
We're does Trump come down on each subsection?
Simple numbers about the NFL,NBA and the dead and injured in Charlottesville.. it's right there.
He has priorities, everyone does..he has spent more time on Space Force than race relations.. more time trashing police agencies, special counsel,AG than anything on infrastructure.. his priorities are our priorities.
The company he keeps is ours.. when Alex Jones re-rips the heart out of a parent of a child from Sandy Hook..we endorse that by continuing to pay these public servants to do the work..
Unchained

12 Aug 2018 16:56

Bustedknuckle wrote:Just no fun without scott trying to defend this butt-head of a president, his rude, ignorant posts and the attempt by trumpTV to paint a different picture of this moron.
The riots in Charlottesville a year ago resulted in senseless death and division. We must come together as a nation. I condemn all types of racism and acts of violence. Peace to ALL Americans!

Wonder who wrote that for him, sure wasn't him..on the heels of slamming black NFL players, Lebron James, and his numerous attacks on non white people(remember when he got into an argument with the widow of a Army hero who was killed? Amazing-ly dumb donnie). "I condemn all types of racism', unless it comes from him.

'We must come together as a nation', from the divider-in-chief..his hypocrisy is stunning..

Yeah, I’ve really been missing the miserable, self-loathing, patriarchal, sexist,racist, life hating posts.
aphronesis
Veteran

12 Aug 2018 18:18

Scott is at a camp..not Jesus Camp..he is not praying the gay away like Pense thinks is prudent..no Scott is at a remote retreat were people that see bad things identify them as bad in our world..
Scott is a good Trump soldier..he probably started reading some of the thoughts.. state of mind of soldiers in the last days of Hitler or what Japanese fighters were going through as the allies began to roll over country..
Seeing the writing on the wall doesn't mean you understand or believe what you are experiencing..
Unchained

Re:

12 Aug 2018 22:29

Unchained wrote:Scott is at a camp..not Jesus Camp..he is not praying the gay away like Pense thinks is prudent..no Scott is at a remote retreat were people that see bad things identify them as bad in our world..
Scott is a good Trump soldier..he probably started reading some of the thoughts.. state of mind of soldiers in the last days of Hitler or what Japanese fighters were going through as the allies began to roll over country..
Seeing the writing on the wall doesn't mean you understand or believe what you are experiencing..

I think that he views Trump much like the German industrialists viewed Hitler in the interwar years: A necessary evil which can be manipulated to achieve very conservative goals.

When you dance with the Devil, things usually don't work out as planned.
User avatar MarkvW
Veteran

12 Aug 2018 23:05

So what are you doing? Decrying the horror as the Jews go by?
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

13 Aug 2018 13:33

Unchained wrote:Scott is at a camp..not Jesus Camp..he is not praying the gay away like Pense thinks is prudent..no Scott is at a remote retreat were people that see bad things identify them as bad in our world..

He doesn't need a 'camp' to see the bad on display everyday via twitter-rants from donnie. Wonder if Sessions has signed a NDA..his insight would be 'interesting but I think Sessions does have the country's best interest at heart..otherwise he's sink POTUS, which probably wouldn't be a good thing for the country. 2018..2020..vote people.
Veteran

13 Aug 2018 13:55

Hmm..scott, are ya reading this?
donnie twitter-bozo-

and then
The big campaign rallies that Trump has continued to conduct offer grand displays of the cult leader at work. When he ridicules protesting NFL players as "sons of bitches" or mocks the likes of Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Massachusetts, or Rep. Maxine Waters, D-California, he's serving up enemies the crowd can regard with contempt. By stirring this hatred, he revs up believers and rewards their commitment. He also reminds everyone that enemies -- and presumably this would include defectors -- can be treated roughly.

Hypocrite in chief..dunce.
Veteran

13 Aug 2018 22:22

Weird. Turns out The Treasury is seeing more revenue this year when compared to last - especially with personal income taxes (up $206 Billion year to date). With a lower rate.

Isn't it strange what happens when more people are working... contributing.

The latest tax cuts more than pay for themselves. What we have here is a spending problem.

Page 5
https://www.fiscal.treasury.gov/fsreports/rpt/mthTreasStmt/mts0618.pdf
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

Re:

13 Aug 2018 22:47

ChewbaccaDefense wrote:Just read a post from a firefighter who fought the Mendocino fire and It had nothing to do with uncut forests. The forests there are not thick forests, with dense under brush. It has nothing to do with unharvested trees. It had everything to do with our previous drought conditions (you know, not because of that thing that 100% of the scientists who work for the petroleum industry agree doesn't exist), hot weather with strong winds, and remote terrain.

Same is true in my neck of the woods with the Holy fire. I'm not sure I ever argued forest mismanagement is the only reason for the fire situation. I know I posted the deal with PG&E. That the energy provider will not maintain it's equipment and transmission lines (in violation of State law) has nothing to do with Global Warming.

Depending on the study one reads humans cause well over 80% of the wildfires. Lightning accounts for most of the rest. So the question is what's making them worse/larger? You can argue global warming all day long and ignore other causes. Help yourself.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

13 Aug 2018 23:02

Bustedknuckle wrote:Just no fun without scott trying to defend this butt-head of a president, his rude, ignorant posts and the attempt by trumpTV to paint a different picture of this moron.

It's your echo chamber bro. Do with it what you will.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

13 Aug 2018 23:21

Deregulating financial markets unleashed an aggressive capitalist dynamic which changed corporate culture, leading to an increase in hostile takeovers of companies, asset stripping, and downsizing–all in the name of delivering faster-and-faster profits at the expense of the long-term viability of a company. Toys ‘R’ Us is just the latest victim in a long list.

This is beyond stupid analysis.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General