Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

16 Sep 2018 17:00

You haven’t posted any nuanced ciews, misread my posts emotionally and can’t produce any of them that support your assertions.

Nor really do you seem to contribute much of substance period.
aphronesis
Veteran

16 Sep 2018 19:57

https://www.axios.com/gop-corporate-jet-tax-loophole-market-frenzy-a255e2da-b728-4163-aa7c-4e6aae3de061.html
Demand for private jets has surged in recent months, as business owners and executives flock to take advantage of new provisions in the GOP tax bill that allow them to deduct 100% of a new or used plane's cost on their tax returns, reports the WSJ.
President Trump has a well-documented obsession with private jets, and his signature tax law is helping extend a market accessible only to those with the highest incomes.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

16 Sep 2018 20:37

aphronesis wrote:https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/your-child-your-choice-how-the-united-states-made-parenting-impossible/

@unchained, I find Trump far more tolerable than Obama. His game is obvious even if his moves aren’t. Obama peddled lots of lies to many people and they still act as if he’s saintly.

That is probably the meaty thing we disagree on..yes Obama was another say anything guy..in measured tones..Trump's racism and sexism are not a tolerable cost of doing business..I also flip out at Trump's split personality...I can do anything watch me,look how smart and powerful I am...and he turns around to cry about being beat up by the media.
Also I feel that is a fatal flaw for Democratic strategist s...the video exists of Trump saying things completely impossible and untrue and they let it disappear before it should...Obama never cried racism...instead he jumped over branches of government w executive orders on a tsunami scale..also the easy going,cool dad thing Obama got was a little off given his deportation record...
Unchained

17 Sep 2018 00:43

aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

17 Sep 2018 02:18

I am curious after reading that..Obama has a seat at the table with the people who are really making the decisions? Or is he their Manchurian candidate? He has made some loot but I hardly see him in the serious philanthropy class.
Unchained

17 Sep 2018 02:52

He is starting a foundation. Which will no doubt be a better versuon of the Clinton/Gore model. Or Livestrong.

Here’s the thing: philanthropy is not the point. That’s distraction. The point is the rationalizations and abstractions that people perform in order to arrive at a point where the outcomes of their enterprises are largely justified and single cause philanthropy is a sufficient response to societal problems. That disconnect is what’s being argued. And it’s doubtful that the Clintons or Obama even have it as a disconnect.
aphronesis
Veteran

17 Sep 2018 03:08

So some of the things currently being debated by the sphere of Trump is killing people...literally. Doing away with things that keep people sheltered,fed, and cared for.and alive...a widely accepted discussion of survival of the fittest as being the American way..
Obama and the Clinton's may have ulterior motives with their nests being feathered as they try and raise money for basic nests for the needy. I believe in some form of redistribution just out of function and basic humanity. I fault the Clinton clowning and Obama's wishy washy BS..but I would gladly take it over taking social security benefits for sick and elderly...and denying food and shelter to desperate kids...so yes do I think that there is fraud,waste and abuse in big charity organizations...but I will still take it over a mean spirit...
Unchained

17 Sep 2018 03:16

I’ll take the mean spirit if it pushes more people to look beyond the alternate solution of putting a smily face on a negligent mean spirit.
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

17 Sep 2018 04:29

Robert5091 wrote:https://www.axios.com/gop-corporate-jet-tax-loophole-market-frenzy-a255e2da-b728-4163-aa7c-4e6aae3de061.html
Demand for private jets has surged in recent months, as business owners and executives flock to take advantage of new provisions in the GOP tax bill that allow them to deduct 100% of a new or used plane's cost on their tax returns, reports the WSJ.
President Trump has a well-documented obsession with private jets, and his signature tax law is helping extend a market accessible only to those with the highest incomes.

shares in one of the makers of private jets, perhaps?
of course he'd never be involved in a conflict of interest of any sort... :rolleyes:
User avatar Archibald

17 Sep 2018 15:31

Funny that the hardcore Trumpers in W.Virginia and Kentucky are going to see the safety net systems that so many poor and working poor depend on will be gutted under Trump. And the indirect slash will come under a red hat and American flag..pretty straight forward..Trump will say give the states more freedom..cut them a block grant lump sum payment...and the poorest most dependent states will be broke in months if not weeks...but meantime the jetset sees another windfall and corporate welfare gift..remember when the tax cut was going to be a huge shift in income? Everybody's paycheck would swell!instead the companies are paying share holders and doing stock but backs..scam in the first degree..plenty of coal miners using it buying private jets
Unchained

17 Sep 2018 16:56

I can't wait for Trump to break his silence about the Kavanaugh nomination. I do find it humorous how many people who would happily lock up any inner city juvenile offender are going with the 'boys will be boys' at that age (17) argument. Trump himself advocated for the death penalty for the Central park 5, who were all 14-16 years old at the time. Too bad none of them went to school at Georgetown Prep.
None of us alone are as stupid as all of us together.
djpbaltimore

Re:

17 Sep 2018 21:01

djpbaltimore wrote:.......... Trump himself advocated for the death penalty for the Central park 5, who were all 14-16 years old at the time. Too bad none of them went to school at Georgetown Prep.

not that i am surprised or doubt your statement plausibility, but would personally be interested - or better said reaffirmed - if you could reference a link to such an incredible assertion...if i can go on a limb, i'd venture to assert that any politician in europe stating that juveniles misdeeds, even criminal acts, deserve a death penalty would not be an eligible candidate for ANY office.

that statement alone should have disqualified trump from a prez running. my opinion...
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

17 Sep 2018 21:25

Read the full page ad that he put out in the 4 NYC papers after the incident.

https://twitter.com/ReaganBattalion/status/1041769956801695744

And after they were exonerated, he said this in 2014, despite the fact that none of them had been arrested before. “These young men do not exactly have the pasts of angels.”

What he said about Kavanaugh today. "Judge Kavanaugh is one of the finest people that I've ever known. He's an outstanding intellect, an outstanding judge, respected by everybody. Never had even a little blemish on his record."
None of us alone are as stupid as all of us together.
djpbaltimore

17 Sep 2018 23:08

This latest Kavanaugh bit all seems sadly like so much theatre. It seems like a very credible and serious (albeit ancient) accusation given that she's taken and passed a polygraph, but the Dems have no power to stop this. They're relying on a reasonable and rational reaction to the accusation by the Republicans, which I just don't see happening–there's nothing here to stop them other than some general concerns about the election. Feels too indirect to matter, too indirect to stick to any one candidate.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

18 Sep 2018 01:11

aphronesis
Veteran

18 Sep 2018 12:30

RE: Tariffs: Are the tariffs really good for the USA economy? If it costs China (other countries) more to get their goods into our hands, won't that just cost us more? If the things being taxed were also made in the USA maybe the increased price of the foreign product would make the prices more even, but most (all?) of the stuff being taxed isn't made in the USA.

Plus, is there a USA infrastructure in place to take over the manufacturing of all of the things being taxed? Rhetorical question.

We've already seen that our farmers, bourbon distillers, etc. are being harmed, and USA automobiles are next. Is that good for our economy?

Bottom line: we will be paying more for the same things.
jmdirt

Re:

18 Sep 2018 13:12

jmdirt wrote:RE: Tariffs: Are the tariffs really good for the USA economy? If it costs China (other countries) more to get their goods into our hands, won't that just cost us more? If the things being taxed were also made in the USA maybe the increased price of the foreign product would make the prices more even, but most (all?) of the stuff being taxed isn't made in the USA.

Plus, is there a USA infrastructure in place to take over the manufacturing of all of the things being taxed? Rhetorical question.

We've already seen that our farmers, bourbon distillers, etc. are being harmed, and USA automobiles are next. Is that good for our economy?

Bottom line: we will be paying more for the same things.

A tariff is a tax, plain and simple. A package of 3 t-shirts you buy at Wallmart will cost more by 10 then 25%.
The 'made in america' ship has sailed. Wages too high, automation..why US manufacturing has declined in the US. There aren't going to be T-shirt factories springing up to 'make in america' Tshirts.

It's trump bluster to show he 'wins'..he doesn't give one shite about who he hurts, as long as he can say, look at me, I won'...He has his crew 'negotiate' then twitter bloviates that kills these things..trump is an idiot.
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran

Re: Re:

18 Sep 2018 13:57

python wrote:
djpbaltimore wrote:.......... Trump himself advocated for the death penalty for the Central park 5, who were all 14-16 years old at the time. Too bad none of them went to school at Georgetown Prep.

not that i am surprised or doubt your statement plausibility, but would personally be interested - or better said reaffirmed - if you could reference a link to such an incredible assertion...if i can go on a limb, i'd venture to assert that any politician in europe stating that juveniles misdeeds, even criminal acts, deserve a death penalty would not be an eligible candidate for ANY office.

that statement alone should have disqualified trump from a prez running. my opinion...

We’re not in Europe and there was no social media backlash then. People had other things to worry about then and no one took him seriously as life had yet to become a reality TV show

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/18/opinion/why-trump-doubled-down-on-the-central-park-five.html

I think it goes without saying that after a faltering decade of NY trying to rebrand itself and Trump locating his luxury headquarters at the foot of Central Park, the ads were a modest investment.

And of course there’s the racist element in the imaging. No outcry from Trump when Robert Chambers killed Jenifer Levin in the park during “rough sex” a few years prior.
aphronesis
Veteran

18 Sep 2018 21:29

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45555749
China has hit back at President Donald Trump by imposing new trade tariffs on $60bn of American goods.

It comes after the US slapped duties on $200bn of Chinese imports on Monday, escalating its trade war with Beijing.
This latest round means that about half of all Chinese imports to the US are now subject to the new duties.

Unlike the earlier rounds, the list also targets consumer goods such as luggage and furniture.

That means households may start to feel the impact from higher prices.

US companies have already said they are worried about the effect of higher costs on their businesses and warned of the risk of job cuts.

Did n't somebody say that nobody wins in a trade war?
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

19 Sep 2018 02:25

Robert5091 wrote:https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45555749
China has hit back at President Donald Trump by imposing new trade tariffs on $60bn of American goods.

It comes after the US slapped duties on $200bn of Chinese imports on Monday, escalating its trade war with Beijing.
This latest round means that about half of all Chinese imports to the US are now subject to the new duties.

Unlike the earlier rounds, the list also targets consumer goods such as luggage and furniture.

That means households may start to feel the impact from higher prices.

US companies have already said they are worried about the effect of higher costs on their businesses and warned of the risk of job cuts.

Did n't somebody say that nobody wins in a trade war?

Like I asked above, is this good for the USA economy?
jmdirt

PreviousNext

Return to General