Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

13 Oct 2018 12:21

is there a country most citizens of which would want the us destruction ? nor do i understand where trump was honest...

i see the us-saudi relations as more about iran/israel and less about the weapons sale. under any recent prez it was so. the potential for the saudi bargaining with the 100 bils weapons purchase is quite limited... they are almost entirely armed by the american gear, almost a100% dependence for maintenance and supplies. this can not be turned around by some intentions to buy weapons elsewhere...even if they play the 'turkish card' with the s-400...but i may not see something...
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

Re:

13 Oct 2018 13:15

aphronesis wrote:Most Saudis aren’t bent on US destruction, so you’re still smoking a lot of pablum.

No, that’s true I wildly overstated it. That said, the point is that without the Saud family in power, I fear what elements would replace them. It would certainly appear there are a great many deeply radical elements there to cause a real problem should they gain power.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

13 Oct 2018 15:49

Seems like Erik Prince's hope of a private army might be crushed -

https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5369884,00.html
Taliban officials say they held "general discussions" with Washington's special envoy Zalmay Khalilzad, who is tasked with finding a negotiated end to Afghanistan's protracted and increasingly bloody war.

The officials, who spoke to the Associated Press on Saturday on condition they not be identified because of the sensitivity of the process, said the meetings were held Friday in the Middle Eastern State of Qatar, where the Taliban maintain a political office.

The Taliban offered no details on the talks and the US Embassy in Kabul said only that Khalilzad was in the Afghan capital Saturday meeting with President Ashraf Ghani and Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

13 Oct 2018 16:42

Here is another example of a deep repeated Trump truth..Trump said recently that it was a dangerous time to be a young man in America..Donald described part of the fear as being accused of a crime without possible merit and certainly absent was due process..now do another Trump truth flashback..Dikhed Donald spent @$90,000 dollars to take out 4 ads in NYC newspapers to call for the execution..the death..w murder of some young black men wrongly accused of a crime in Central park..so again Trump is right today and then..it's a dangerous time..and yes due process is a corner stone of America..I hope that Trump can try and implement some of his truth..
And what should be done when a person is correctly portrayed as the perpetrator..an example . when Trump was accused of making a hush money payment to women he had bedded while married..he said he was wrongly accused of a crime..one were he denied it..what should be the end result of lying?
Now we see that Trump calls for restrictions on immigration,immigrants and hiring of foreign workers..but all his companies request an exception..
Trump claims to have been given a "small loan" from his Dad...with the cash he built an empire..turns out his father and his fathers companies were giving no-show no-work payments to the Trump kids..kind of a corrupt Brady bunch..
And Trump claims none of his income is suspect but won't reveal it's source..?
Criminal and non criminal cash flows around Trump and his administration..anywhere and everywhere you look..so was Manafort,Gates,and all the others wrongly accused? Did the FEMA chief return @$150,000 as a gift to the government? Did Pruitt pack out because he spent government money responsibly?
We will wait to see if Nikki Haley is a crook..
There are many provisions in US law if you are wrongly accused..if you are slandered ..most innocent people are not afraid of the legal discovery process.but those w lots of dirty laundry just complain wo any legal action..
Unchained

Re: Re:

13 Oct 2018 21:41

red_flanders wrote:
aphronesis wrote:Most Saudis aren’t bent on US destruction, so you’re still smoking a lot of pablum.

No, that’s true I wildly overstated it. That said, the point is that without the Saud family in power, I fear what elements would replace them. It would certainly appear there are a great many deeply radical elements there to cause a real problem should they gain power.

So you think if “radical” elements replaced the Sauds, they’d be bent on attacking the US? Or just content to not be a quasi vassal state for the West. It’s probably useful to differentiate between the oppressed non-ruling population and more extremist expressions like ISIL etc.
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

13 Oct 2018 22:08

Robert5091 wrote:Seems like Erik Prince's hope of a private army might be crushed -

https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5369884,00.html
Taliban officials say they held "general discussions" with Washington's special envoy Zalmay Khalilzad, who is tasked with finding a negotiated end to Afghanistan's protracted and increasingly bloody war.

The officials, who spoke to the Associated Press on Saturday on condition they not be identified because of the sensitivity of the process, said the meetings were held Friday in the Middle Eastern State of Qatar, where the Taliban maintain a political office.

The Taliban offered no details on the talks and the US Embassy in Kabul said only that Khalilzad was in the Afghan capital Saturday meeting with President Ashraf Ghani and Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah.

The Afghans are smart enough to know that they don't want Eric Prince standing between them and the Yankee dollars intended their way!
User avatar MarkvW
Veteran

Re: Re:

14 Oct 2018 00:12

aphronesis wrote:
red_flanders wrote:

So you think if “radical” elements replaced the Sauds, they’d be bent on attacking the US? Or just content to not be a quasi vassal state for the West. It’s probably useful to differentiate between the oppressed non-ruling population and more extremist expressions like ISIL etc.

I think it’s fairly obvious that there have been and are a great many Wahabi radicals bent on doing the US harm, and that a theocratic uprising has long been a fear of the Saudis and the west. The ingredients are there. Feel free to differentiate as you like, my point was more about Trump.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

14 Oct 2018 01:21

No, your point was about Trump saying something you agreed with. And both of you having a bigoted view of the Middle East under US imperialism.

But please, carry on.
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

14 Oct 2018 03:04

aphronesis wrote:No, your point was about Trump saying something you agreed with. And both of you having a bigoted view of the Middle East under US imperialism.

But please, carry on.

I gotta say anybody and everybody should have got the memo on Saudi Arabia..
when they hijacked planes and crashed them into the World Trade Center..we bombed Iraq..
when they have overstepped in Syria and Yemen..we backed their bad actions..
10' of thousands of American military personnel endangered by Saudi screw around antics against Qatar..what does the house of Saud concede in an argument that endangered American forces..? Nothing Trump backed their play..
Trump gets a dig in on the U.S. federal reserve..but says little about the effects of Saudi oil policy..
and now so that America can stay on message..murder is no big deal as long as you it arms..
I hardly think Wahabi whack jobs should be anywhere near the top of our priority list..although that last one was a real stone in America 's shoe..
weird Osama bin Laden was tall..his family made billions in construction and real estate..I never did see his hand size..?
Trump should have one of his goons find out..
This entire thing is going to be that much funnier if Kushner..at a rare time not wearing a yarmulke.gets caught on some tax charge while working as the worst peace envoy Trump could have picked..
think about who you wouldn't send to Turkey,Saudi Arabia or the U.N. to negotiate with the Palestinians..Jared "****" Kushner..

I am sure w him working on it we will know what happened...if anything at the Saudi embassy in..Turkey.
.against an enemy of the house of Saud..and Turkey has a stellar record w journalists..
Murder is bad..Team Trump is a joke
Unchained

Re:

14 Oct 2018 03:36

aphronesis wrote:No, your point was about Trump saying something you agreed with. And both of you having a bigoted view of the Middle East under US imperialism.

But please, carry on.

You appear to have trouble reading or comprehending simple sentence structure. I assume since you appear to be educated, it's intentional. At least that's the most charitable interpretation I can arrive at. Maybe stalk someone else for a while. Not sure what burr you have up your **** with me but it is wearisome rebutting your mischaracterizations of literally every post I make here.

Not sure what the goal is but I am sure it's pointless and unlikely to work.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

14 Oct 2018 12:34

Look man, this is the politics thread. You made a reactionary jingoistic assertion. I questioned it. You offered a repid reformulation with a minor walkback. This is a thread where people debate and discuss politics. I find yours primitive at best and emblematic of broad dangerous trends in current society. It’s not my fault that you can’t articulate yourself with enough nuance and concision to prove me wrong and suggest that you’re actully saying something that’s thoughtful or of use.

I respond this way to anyone who fits the bill. You’re not special.
aphronesis
Veteran

14 Oct 2018 14:58

While I was eating my cereal this AM I listened to Larry Kudlow talk to George Stepanopoulos. LK kept rambling on and on about the booming economy. That rhetoric has convinced a lot of people who aren't really paying attention, but those making less than $150,000 are actually pocketing less...that's not booming in my book. Even he stated several times that the economy is being praised by corporations and shareholders. Much of their extra money is simply the tax breaks (that are helping pile on deficit). When GS reminded LK that the deficit is booming, Kud's response: "its not growing as fast as predicted though". WTH?! Well in that case its great then. :rolleyes:
jmdirt

14 Oct 2018 15:23

It’s a nice conjuring trick. People keep repeating that the “economy” is booming with the corollary that those on the wrong side if it aren’t applying themselves or making the right opportunities.
aphronesis
Veteran

14 Oct 2018 16:02

So these last two posts really,really hit me.
Kudlow is doing a job for America that needs to be done..cheerleading. It needs to be done..but after everything settles down..there has to be substance.
So that is were most of us,centrist,middle,moderate and left could be wrong..Trump and his cheerleading squad all say everything is getting better..just look at the numbers..when you look at the numbers LK and others are spot on..the stock market is doing well..for those w risk capital to invest,they are also doing well. Are companies seeing some improvement..yes..and is that translation seen to workers? No..company cash mounds pile up and stock holders get a decent divided..
The regular American household knows something is wrong..they feel it..they can count it..here in California gas is nearing @$4 bucks a gallon..the government,insurance companies and employers are all doing anything they can to formulate a plan to cover their aszes.
America has spent more on housing,education,financial services and health care than anyone planet wide..but a lack of housing..of all kinds..student loans..student spending but the test results and momentum are not there..
The richest in the country get a backrub or better from the bank..not to mention free everything from ATM,checking,etc while the poor cash checks for 1 or 3% of the face value..and to make it hurt worse,there are no banks in the neighborhood..what gives?
Health care..? Why doesn't the U.S.have the longest,healthiest life expectancy in human history? Why isn't our infant mortality rate counted not only the lowest but kept nation wide on 1 slice of notebook paper?
No America has some issues..but we don't want to talk..and worse still we don't want to think..but wait..worser..if that can be a thing..we employed a billionaire bigot, w bankruptcy records worldwide to solve problems for households were @$56,000 smacks puts you in middle class.?
.we hired a guy that said consistently he doesn't like huge % of the population based income,race,religion and sex just to name a few..
When this is over we will still have the two major groups..the group that thinks this is horrible..it's gone on for way too long..
And the other group that thinks this is just the beginning and if we all sit down and shut up..let the smart guys steer the ship, everything will be great again if we just give the team and cheerleaders more..enough time..
Does America need cheerleading? Yes..a good attitude? Yes..but it should be based on reality..when it says your down 45 zip..4th quarter..Eli or Trump is your QB ..4 or 5 minutes on the clock..recovery of the onside kick is not all that important..
Unchained

Re: U.S. Politics

15 Oct 2018 11:35

trump is a dangerous idiot, still.
Indeed, if Trump were drummed out of office in favor of someone less ignorant, mean-spirited, dishonest, corrupt, and arrogant he would be replaced by someone who hewed closer to congressional Republicans’ policy views not further. But Trump is right that at this point he is the Republican Party and the Republican Party is him. If Republicans lose the House in a few weeks, there may finally be some kind of check on his conduct and oversight of the government but he’ll still be president and still have no idea what he’s doing. All we can do is hope America’s luck holds up

https://www.vox.com/2018/10/14/17975644/trumps-60-minutes-interview-transcript

Study this interview, it speaks volumes about this clueless, racist, sexist pig....
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran

15 Oct 2018 13:58

Warren lands the first blow in the 2020 campaign. Trump was already weaseling out of his promise this morning, after claiming that 'rogue killers' might've been responsible for the death of the journalist in Turkey.

Elizabeth Warren
@elizabethforma
By the way, @realDonaldTrump: Remember saying on 7/5 that you’d give $1M to a charity of my choice if my DNA showed Native American ancestry? I remember – and here's the verdict. Please send the check to the National Indigenous Women’s Resource Center: http://www.niwrc.org/donate-niwrc

https://twitter.com/elizabethforma/status/1051820933982359553
None of us alone are as stupid as all of us together.
djpbaltimore

Re:

15 Oct 2018 19:35

aphronesis wrote:Look man, this is the politics thread. You made a reactionary jingoistic assertion. I questioned it. You offered a repid reformulation with a minor walkback. This is a thread where people debate and discuss politics. I find yours primitive at best and emblematic of broad dangerous trends in current society. It’s not my fault that you can’t articulate yourself with enough nuance and concision to prove me wrong and suggest that you’re actully saying something that’s thoughtful or of use.

I respond this way to anyone who fits the bill. You’re not special.

I overstated something in one post and corrected it when it was pointed out. For you to call my post "bigoted" is irrational, inflammatory nonsense.

Besides that, I'm addressing a pattern. You attack literally every post I make (fine, if tiresome) and every time make wild mischaracterizations of what I said (not fine). It's boring. I articulate just fine, but would suggest you seem to have trouble parsing simple concepts or are bent on twisting meaning to fit your conception of how people should think. It's pointless and irrational.

If my posts are of no use to you, stop stalking them. Thanks.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

15 Oct 2018 22:05

I respond to your posts because they’re nonsense and foment regressive politics. I think it’s fair to say that blanketing an entire people with a negative intent is bigoted. If your articulation and rational faculties are so keen, it should have been easy to avoid the first time. You didn’t. Reflection is hard I know, but that’s the pattern I see along with hyperbolic claims.

If you can’t handle having your inchoate views challenged publicly and are unable to rephrase them in mature terms when “wildly mischaracterized” maybe you should woodshed them more before going public.

That’s P U B L I C. You get how that works right? I haven’t PM’d you and don’t really bother with posts on other threads.
aphronesis
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General