Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

10 Nov 2018 19:44

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-05/pharma-makes-lobbying-push-to-roll-back-seniors-drug-discounts?srnd=premium-europe
Drug companies are focusing lobbying efforts to use a possible lame-duck session of Congress to peel back a legislative loss they suffered earlier this year, according to people familiar with the efforts. On the line for the drug industry is $1.9 billion next year, according to one estimate. Critics say the effort by the industry has the potential to increase costs for some of the most vulnerable and medically fragile Americans: seniors on Medicare.

Medicare covers most drug costs until a patient and their plan spend $3,750. Then, coverage drops off and doesn’t pick up again until a patient’s total out-of-pocket costs, including what drug companies pay in discounts, hit $5,000. That gap between coverage is the donut hole.

Almost 30 percent of seniors fell into the hole in 2014, according to data from the Medicare Payment Advisory Commission, and more are being affected as costs rise for drugs to treat conditions like diabetes, arthritis and cancer.

To make the donut hole less onerous, drugmakers had been required to give a 50 percent discount on their products once seniors hit the spending threshold. A legislative change in February backed by both parties increased the industry discount to 70 percent.

That extra discount is what drugmakers want to roll back, claiming that it goes too far and that the drug industry is taking too much of the expense. The lame duck session -- in between the midterm elections Tuesday when Democrats are projected by many to take the House, but before they would actually be seated and take over in January -- may be pharma’s best, last chance unless Republicans hold on.
The drug industry has said it supports seniors paying less for drugs, just not at companies’ expense.

Quelle surprise! :sad:
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

10 Nov 2018 21:16

This Florida circus is going to run and run -
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/11/9/1811581/-Senator-Nelson-files-an-emergency-lawsuit-that-may-determine-the-outcome-of-the-Florida-elections?detail=emaildkre
Former Congressman Patrick Murphy of Florida revealed that he was one of tens of thousands of Floridians whose absentee ballots were rejected because of an “invalid signature.”

In fact, these “invalid signature” ballot rejections are happening all over Florida. One Twitter user responded to Patrick Murphy that an election judge questioned her signature because her written signature didn’t match the signature created by using her finger on a touch screen pad at the polling location. Whose signature would match? These always look different than a written signature. And as you can probably guess, the “invalid signature” rejections seem to disproportionately happen to African American voters and young voters.

The “invalid signature” rejections are so widespread that it is likely changing the outcome of the entire election, no doubt just as it was intended. With only a 15,000 vote difference right now, Senator Nelson has filed a lawsuit seeking to revisit the “invalid signature” rejections and get these votes counted.

https://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2018/11/09/bill-nelson-files-lawsuit-challenging-floridas-election-signature-match-law-amid-senate-recount/
Nelson is asking the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida for an immediate injunction and to declare "that all voters who submit a (vote-by-mail) or provisional ballot, and whose ballots are subsequently determined to involve a signature mismatch, be counted as valid votes." He also requests Saturday's deadline to canvas ballots be extended until the legal matter is resolved.

Similar action has been taken in other states with signature match laws, most notably Georgia.

The lawsuit, filed Thursday, lists the Democratic Executive Committee as a plaintiff with Nelson and Florida Secretary Ken Detzner as a defendant.

The legal action comes as Nelson is headed toward a recount in his Senate race with Republican Gov. Rick Scott. As of Friday morning, Scott led Nelson by 15,079 votes, a margin that continues to narrow since election night.

Nelson's camp believes provisional and mail-in ballots will favor their candidate and tighten the contest even more before a recount begins on Sunday.

"With today's filing, their desperation has driven them to ask the federal courts to allow voter fraud," Scott campaign manager Jackie Schutz Zeckman said.

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re: U.S. Politics

11 Nov 2018 14:41

Well, geee, I had hoped donnie the dope would kinda STFU after the midterms and him getting outta DC..but nope, he continues to be stupid in public.

-$200MILLION and counting for the southern border 'invasion' of hungry, tired women and children.
-Threatening to withhold fed funds for CA fires..even tho most of the lands areFederal or private lands..and towns.
-'GOP is the law and order party'..2 mass shootings, a bunch of pipe bombs and 2 people of color gunned down..'thoughts and prayers' from trum the idiot
-arguments with Macron and Europe in general continue for this 'white' nationalist
-whining about voter fraud cuz 2 GOP may lose(Arizona and FLA)..'dispatching his lawyers'..liar..
-using executive power to curtail the First Amendment..too bad he gets asked tough ?..Calls a female reporter a 'loser'..
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran

Re: U.S. Politics

11 Nov 2018 17:28

Bustedknuckle wrote:Well, geee, I had hoped donnie the dope would kinda STFU after the midterms and him getting outta DC..but nope, he continues to be stupid in public.

-$200MILLION and counting for the southern border 'invasion' of hungry, tired women and children.
-Threatening to withhold fed funds for CA fires..even tho most of the lands areFederal or private lands..and towns.
-'GOP is the law and order party'..2 mass shootings, a bunch of pipe bombs and 2 people of color gunned down..'thoughts and prayers' from trum the idiot
-arguments with Macron and Europe in general continue for this 'white' nationalist
-whining about voter fraud cuz 2 GOP may lose(Arizona and FLA)..'dispatching his lawyers'..liar..
-using executive power to curtail the First Amendment..too bad he gets asked tough ?..Calls a female reporter a 'loser'..

Unfortunately I'm afraid he's going to get worse about these things.
User avatar Koronin

11 Nov 2018 20:36

A note to all American Veterans..on the Veterans designated holiday..our President flew to France in part to take part in a veterans memorial service..he couldn't be bothered because it was rainy outside..some rain was a major obstacle for our clown in chief..
He is a disgrace..an embarrassment to our veterans..current service and past..dispatching Marines and Navy Seals to defend against mothers and children..
Trump is a chump...a stroke of luck for all veterans..Trump typical judgement had him fake bone spurs..dodge the draft and was luckily denied the title of veteran
Unchained

11 Nov 2018 22:17

Have to get the "Family Size" popcorn in for this circus.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/11/florida-senate-scott-nelson-fraud-982952
Florida Gov. Rick Scott said Sunday that he's won his closely contested Senate race against Democratic Sen. Bill Nelson and that his opponent is "committing fraud" in an effort to steal the race from him and is a "sore loser."

"Sen. Nelson is trying to commit fraud to win this election," Scott told host Chris Wallace on "Fox News Sunday."
Scott repeated his allegations Sunday, without evidence, that fraud is behind the increase in votes for Nelson; both Scott and President Donald Trump have accused Democrats of trying to "steal" the election.

User avatar Robert5091

Re:

12 Nov 2018 03:08

Unchained wrote:I am forever surprised that no Australians e ever tell Americans about their systems and procedures...it's a law..you must vote..what does that accomplish..makes politicians push for the middle..extreme anything is normally ineffective..health coverage..most not all think it is decent...try and take healthcare away...it's the Australian 3rd rail..guns..gun violence...why ask if you really don't want a solution...Australia is tiny by population but maybe...just maybe..the U.S. should look for some alternative methods to problems it can't or won't solve...
Not sure what the answer is but when you have dead kids and dying sick people you should...at a minimum investigate a solution

why the f**k would we? below is our senate ballot paper from the last election - choose 1 from above the 'line' or number all in order of preference below the 'line'... And this doesn't include the ballot for the house of reps...
Compulsory voting? big deal... plenty of folks who have no idea who or what to vote for casting their votes. I know people who vote for which member they think looks best, or some other such stupid logic... Any wonder a few elections back, that a popular newsreader beat the then prime minister in his own seat.
Then comes all those who just 'donkey vote' either on purpose or through stupidity - informal votes have won a seat before - well, not actually won it, but have accounted for the most votes in a constituency.
And this is before the 'died-in-the-wool' party voters - "my grandfather and father voted Labour, so I do too", even if I have no idea whatsoever as to what the stand for or actually do...
As Churchill said about democracy - the best argument against it "is a 5 minute chat with the average voter"...

User avatar Archibald

12 Nov 2018 10:53

..at one social outing i struck a conversation with an interesting australian lady that looked in her late 40s. what attracted me was that she spoke several european languages (as her conversations remotely reached my ears) and seemed worldly.

omitting other details and more to the point, i asked her: 'in your opinion, what are the biggest differences btwn the australian and american systems in a wider sense'. somewhat unexpected, she took about 30 seconds to think and said' you know, not much, except some political labels'.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

Re:

12 Nov 2018 12:52

python wrote:..at one social outing i struck a conversation with an interesting australian lady that looked in her late 40s. what attracted me was that she spoke several european languages (as her conversations remotely reached my ears) and seemed worldly.

omitting other details and more to the point, i asked her: 'in your opinion, what are the biggest differences btwn the australian and american systems in a wider sense'. somewhat unexpected, she took about 30 seconds to think and said' you know, not much, except some political labels'.

I guess I would have been curious to ask this same women..how many mass shootings have you had in the last month? Last two? Last 3?
What percentage of your citizens are raped and sexually assaulted?
Does your President discourage them from reporting it? Does your President berate crime victims on TV..in print and on Twitter?
And the critical question...does Kelly Ann Conway have an Australian passport?
When a disaster occurs is your President one of the first public figures to toss hate and criticism on the victims? Has your President ever insulted fire fighters?..while they were fighting historic fires..where dozens are dead?
Unchained

12 Nov 2018 14:00

When many people treat politics as indifferent entertainment, that’s what you get

https://www.mpifg.de/pu/mpifg_ja/NLR_76_2012_Streeck.pdf
aphronesis
Veteran

12 Nov 2018 14:27

GE shares slide continues and brokers are guessing "how low can it go?"
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-12/a-37-million-share-print-took-wall-street-by-storm-taking-stock
This is the same company that for decades boasted about how it "brings good things to life" and yet its stock hasn’t shown any signs of life for close to two years now.

User avatar Robert5091

Re:

12 Nov 2018 14:42

Unchained wrote:A note to all American Veterans..on the Veterans designated holiday..our President flew to France in part to take part in a veterans memorial service..he couldn't be bothered because it was rainy outside..some rain was a major obstacle for our clown in chief..
He is a disgrace..an embarrassment to our veterans..current service and past..dispatching Marines and Navy Seals to defend against mothers and children..
Trump is a chump...a stroke of luck for all veterans..Trump typical judgement had him fake bone spurs..dodge the draft and was luckily denied the title of veteran

Arrogant and ignorant arse-whole. Racist and sexist liar..I every once in a while twitter him, asking why he's such an incredible pri@k..don't get an answer..
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran

Re:

12 Nov 2018 16:39

aphronesis wrote:When many people treat politics as indifferent entertainment, that’s what you get

https://www.mpifg.de/pu/mpifg_ja/NLR_76_2012_Streeck.pdf

I really enjoyed this..I will try and read other Wolfgang stuff.
.I don't know anything about current trends of our integrated world as it applies to Germany..when I lived in Germany and Belgium part of my income was through illegal imports...I brought in road and mountain bikes 2 and 3 at a time..basic prepaid order for men in local bike clubs..the price for pro level Campy and Shimano equipped bikes was way,way higher than the US..
Anybody coming to visit or traveling for an extended stay was brow beaten into including a bike box or 2 as part of their luggage..even w 40 or 50 bucks more for shipping the bikes were still cheaper to Germans especially..
Now a Canyon and another couple of brands I am wondering if those "German" brands dominate the club scene? In NY and California you see everything..from everywhere..I saw SRAM red..eTap and Campy electronic, all levels of Shimano at coffee shops and club rides in San Diego as cycling sites were doing stories on the technology..
Puma,Adidas, Volkswagen,Audi,Mercedes,and BMW have huge presence in all the places I have frequently traveled here in the US..
My last trip to France I was surprised at the many Jeep and GM products being driven around..
I have listened to drunk people all over tell me about how "their" culture is being spoiled by...you name it..Turks,Poles,Greeks,African..Mexicans are the main target in the US..when in Ireland I was astonished at the Russians,Poles and Africans working in speaking positions at Hotels..
If you read Trump is only slightly different than others world side promising restoration of the good ol' days...
If manufacturers have tweeked products to work on a world market scale..I don't see why politics would be different
Unchained

12 Nov 2018 22:45

We don’t need gun control, we just need good guys with guns...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46187460
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

12 Nov 2018 22:48

Well all those Brits who wanted to get rid of foreigners might get a nasty surprise -
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/nov/12/survey-of-british-manufacturing-shows-slump-in-confidence
Firms have also warned that the shortage of skilled workers is getting worse amid a “sudden reversal” in the numbers of EU and non-EU migrants in employment in this country, according to another report.

Research among more than 1,000 employers suggested that vacancies are becoming harder to fill. The squeeze on skills is leading employers to increase pay rates, said the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) and the Adecco Group.

Their report said the shortage of workers was being driven by a falling interest among migrants wanting to work in the UK.

User avatar Robert5091

Re:

12 Nov 2018 22:51

King Boonen wrote:We don’t need gun control, we just need good guys with guns...

A black guy with a gun? What do you think would happen?

User avatar Robert5091

Re:

13 Nov 2018 01:36

King Boonen wrote:We don’t need gun control, we just need good guys with guns...

I read this..3 times...who is upset? Outrage by who? The outcry from where?
For the most part nobody gives a fvck..our country is sleepwalking..black lives don't matter..black lives matter t-shirts and bumper stickers but not much else
Unchained

Re: Re:

13 Nov 2018 02:55

Unchained wrote:
python wrote:..at one social outing i struck a conversation with an interesting australian lady that looked in her late 40s. what attracted me was that she spoke several european languages (as her conversations remotely reached my ears) and seemed worldly.

I guess I would have been curious to ask this same women..how many mass shootings have you had in the last month? Last two? Last 3?
What percentage of your citizens are raped and sexually assaulted?
Does your President discourage them from reporting it? Does your President berate crime victims on TV..in print and on Twitter?
And the critical question...does Kelly Ann Conway have an Australian passport?
When a disaster occurs is your President one of the first public figures to toss hate and criticism on the victims? Has your President ever insulted fire fighters?..while they were fighting historic fires..where dozens are dead?

pointless comparisons... Australian mentality is completely different - a country not created by and raised on guns and violence throughout our history. Schoolkids don't see the idea of going and shooting up your classmates as a solution to any problem, regardless of bullying or mental illnesses.
The whole gun buyback that Americans seem to put up on some pedestal as some holy grail, was a nonsense. Easily done to just sporting shooters and farmers (640k handed in, compared to the hundreds of millions in the US) - the criminals all kept theirs, and there's been constant shootings since, although, mostly criminal gangs/bikies/etc v the police or each other. Homicide rate is about the same, but suicide numbers are down [by gun, not in general].
As for violence against women, we're likely on a par - there are women dying almost daily through domestic violence, although the mainstream media seem to ignore this constantly in preference to, well, everything...
We have major bushfires annually too, with the usual load of politicians doing their gawking walk through the aftermath each time - as if that makes a difference :rolleyes:
We did, however, have a Prime Minister who pitched in... (although he was a * the rest of the time)
User avatar Archibald

13 Nov 2018 03:15

Archibald..I get your post..you are correct..we have buyback programs..they don't work..blacks and other minorities don't turn in guns for the not so remote possibility that contact with the police will end w something bad..
On YouTube there is a BBC produced video titled..What's Killing America's White Men..if you get time give it a look...your suicide statistics may remain but opinions may change..
also in the US @21 veterans take their lives every day..
Unchained

13 Nov 2018 07:24

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-gearing-up-to-fire-homeland-security-secretary-kirstjen-nielsen-report?ref=home
President Trump is reportedly preparing to remove Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen within the next few weeks and has already begun telling aides about the plan. Five current and former White House officials cited by The Washington Post late Monday said the president canceled an upcoming trip with Nielsen to visit U.S. troops at the border and told aides he wants her gone as soon as possible. The two have reportedly butted heads for months, with Trump said to be complaining about what he sees as Nielsen’s poor immigration enforcement and Nielsen confiding in colleagues that she’s unhappy in the job, according to the Post. While White House chief of staff John F. Kelly is reportedly fighting to keep Nielsen on, his own future in the administration is in question, three White House aides told the Post. The president could reportedly announce Nielsen’s departure as early as this week.

From Sept 2017 -
https://www.newsmax.com/Politics/John-Kelly-Kirstjen-Nielsen-White-House-staff/2017/09/08/id/812515/
White House chief of staff John Kelly's deputy, Kirstjen Nielsen, has set a no-nonsense tone in the West Wing that has some comparing her to "Nurse Ratched" from "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," according to news reports Friday.

User avatar Robert5091

PreviousNext

Return to General