Log in:  

Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: U.S. Politics

14 Jan 2019 14:23

It's monday in the trump clown car.
First trump the racist throwing stones at Warren.
If Elizabeth Warren, often referred to by me as Pocahontas, did this commercial from Bighorn or Wounded Knee instead of her kitchen, with her husband dressed in full Indian garb, it would have been a smash!

Then
Trump’s tweet came amid another extraordinary late-night Twitter barrage as the president — battered by public blame for the ongoing government shutdown and new bombshells about his links to Russia — also lashed out at Post owner Jeffrey P. Bezos and quoted from a racially charged immigration column by Pat Buchanan.

Buchanan, who ran for president three times, has a long history of making racist comments ― and Trump once called him out for it.

“Look, he’s a Hitler lover,” Trump said on “Meet the Press” in 1999. “I guess he’s an anti-Semite. He doesn’t like the blacks. He doesn’t like the gays. It’s just incredible that anybody could embrace this guy.”

Two decades later, the two are now embracing each other.


WTFarge is wrong with this guy? He's the stinking PRESIDENT...and the GOP?

Crickets....
#muelleriscoming.

Was it any worse with Nixon? I don't think so..trump has to go.
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,245
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

Re: Re:

14 Jan 2019 15:03

BullsFan22 wrote:

I am not sure it really matters. Trump is an idiot, most know that. Bush was an idiot, most know that. It doesn't matter if one of them is less of an idiot than the other. Bush's presidency was destructive to the middle east. Many of the problems we see on the news today are a direct result of continued meddling in middle east politics by US presidents, mostly started by HW Bush in the 80's and into the 1991 Gulf War and then a full on intervention in 2003 by W Bush.

Many are fixated on Trumps incompetence and what he had for breakfast. Most of those people are missing the big picture. They are distracted by what Trump and the deep state is doing domestically AND abroad. The Democrats are ok with Trump if he intervenes abroad. They are not ok if he doesn't. Nobody's done anything constructive on health care, education, infrastructure, drugs, etc. People are still idiotically running around blaming everything on 13 Russian twitter bots and the 4700 dollars that somebody from Russia spent on Facebook ads to somehow bring down an entire presidential election.

Trump derangement syndrome is what Jimmy Dore has been calling it. Rightfully so. It doesn't matter how eloquently a president can express himself. It's his actions that matter. Still complaining about the loss in 2016 and blaming Susan Sarandon, Jill Stein, and 13 Russian Twitter bots for Clinton's loss isn't going to help.
No one of any repute is doing this, especially not in this forum. But is good to know that you have finally admitted that Russia interfered with the 2016 election.

People like Dore are the ones still harping on the Russia story. Democrats ran almost entirely on the issues and had great success in 2018. That is extremely galling to people like him.
None of us alone are as stupid as all of us together.
djpbaltimore
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,386
Joined: 09 Jun 2014 13:41
Location: Baltimore, MD

14 Jan 2019 15:04

So our parks are getting damaged beyond repair..fed workers who don't have money or food given truly Presidential advice to have a garage sale or tell your landlord you can do some painting....?Russia launched hyper sonic missiles..China sending back space photos from more success in the race..if there is one for a space force.
Meanwhile the American President can't tell where New Orleans is on the map..decided that a government priority was to comment on Jeff Bezos and pending divorce..and in a twist the dead brain Donald didn't register..Trump tweets praise for the National Enquirer ..for bringing down Bozo.Bezos..now that is a Pecker track!
And because Trump doesn't read..his is still wasting calories and time fighting Elizabeth Warren even though she is losing that fight so Trump's help..
Trump will reopen the government after he is done doing what he thinks is more important..gov workers and their families be dammmmmmd!
This is what winning and making America great again looks like. America owes Tiger blood Charlie Sheen an apology..he is hardly crazy after watching Donald
Unchained
Member
 
Posts: 1,342
Joined: 05 Sep 2016 00:24

14 Jan 2019 16:05

Unchained
Member
 
Posts: 1,342
Joined: 05 Sep 2016 00:24

Re:

14 Jan 2019 21:30

Unchained wrote:So our parks are getting damaged beyond repair..fed workers who don't have money or food given truly Presidential advice to have a garage sale or tell your landlord you can do some painting....?Russia launched hyper sonic missiles..China sending back space photos from more success in the race..if there is one for a space force.
Meanwhile the American President can't tell where New Orleans is on the map..decided that a government priority was to comment on Jeff Bezos and pending divorce..and in a twist the dead brain Donald didn't register..Trump tweets praise for the National Enquirer ..for bringing down Bozo.Bezos..now that is a Pecker track!
And because Trump doesn't read..his is still wasting calories and time fighting Elizabeth Warren even though she is losing that fight so Trump's help..
Trump will reopen the government after he is done doing what he thinks is more important..gov workers and their families be dammmmmmd!
This is what winning and making America great again looks like. America owes Tiger blood Charlie Sheen an apology..he is hardly crazy after watching Donald



Just maybe some of the federal workers will wake up and see what the Republican party and esp Trump actually are. (Yes this varies depending on the location of where the federal workers are located).
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,399
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

14 Jan 2019 23:25

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jan/14/trumps-tv-address-flopped-voters-believed-pelosi-s/
A spate of new polls over the last couple of days underscores the president’s failure to move the needle.

A Quinnipiac University Poll released Monday says 43 percent of Americans back building a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border — exactly the same percentage as in December, just before the shutdown hit.

A CNN poll Sunday showed similar numbers.

Quinnipiac specifically asked Americans whether they believed Mr. Trump or Democrats’ leaders, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Sen. Charles E. Schumer, who delivered a rebuttal to the president’s Oval Office address.

The Democrats won easily, 46 percent to 36 percent over Mr. Trump.


Losing the ratings war will p**s off Trump. Then again, he'll say it's a fake poll. :D
"Imagine your loved ones conquered by Napoleon and forced to live under French rule. Do you want them to eat that rich food and those heavy sauces? Do you want them to have soufflé every meal and croissant?"
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,780
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

Re:

15 Jan 2019 01:19

Robert5091 wrote:https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jan/14/trumps-tv-address-flopped-voters-believed-pelosi-s/
A spate of new polls over the last couple of days underscores the president’s failure to move the needle.

A Quinnipiac University Poll released Monday says 43 percent of Americans back building a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border — exactly the same percentage as in December, just before the shutdown hit.

A CNN poll Sunday showed similar numbers.

Quinnipiac specifically asked Americans whether they believed Mr. Trump or Democrats’ leaders, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Sen. Charles E. Schumer, who delivered a rebuttal to the president’s Oval Office address.

The Democrats won easily, 46 percent to 36 percent over Mr. Trump.


Losing the ratings war will p**s off Trump. Then again, he'll say it's a fake poll. :D



Not surprising, although sad the numbers who want a wall are that high.

One other thing is that many of the House Democrats ran on no wall and want. Shouldn't that say something as well?
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,399
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

15 Jan 2019 01:30

We have kicked around here a time or the subject of economic fragility. Huge numbers of American households not able to overcome a @$500 dollar emergency expense. The standoff over the wall is highlighting this for all of us,longtime government professionals..air traffic controllers, medical people,accounting personnel,including IRS staff,police including FBI,CIA and airport security,..all had some within their group in the need of some kind of emergency assistance. Listened to a radio interview with a prison guard manually monitoring and operating her thermostat to maintain a mid 50 to 60 degree indoor temperature for her and her very young son. Her standing watch at the thermostat is for life safety and to save valuables dollars. All the while snow on the ground outside.
The American way of life is a very fragile one to say the least. We will see if Trump's unintended social experiment has long term horrible consequences. The idea that kids are cold and hungry for absolutely no reason should make all of us sick..if only a sick stomach for us lucky enough.
Dckhead Donald today saying he would not entertain the Republican proposal handed to him by Lindsay Graham..Graham saying let's open everything else and negotiation on wall later..Trump refuses .
We all better look at how pieces fit together in this puzzle..playing chicken with everyone worldwide on every subject is going to make America and Americans the losers..take the guys last day..he threatened Turkey and it's economy..had to make a phone call to calm and clarify his stupidity..asked questions about starting a war w Iran..has Pompaoe flying around spreading hate and direct messages of American incompetence..and the President and sec of state think that is helping us?
This clown is going to drop one or more critical issue balls he is juggling..let's hope it's not a nuke or war that happens when he fails
Unchained
Member
 
Posts: 1,342
Joined: 05 Sep 2016 00:24

15 Jan 2019 01:35

If McConnell would do his job it appears there are enough votes in the House and Senate to override a veto. Pass the bill and make him veto it and then see what happens.

On a different note, it's extremely infuriorating how many men have no clue how expensive birth control is when it's not covered by insurance. (By the way even under the ACA name brand BC has a co-pay. It's only generics that are no co-pay.) I think the men (or at least hope) here have some clue as to how expensive it actually is.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,399
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re:

15 Jan 2019 04:16

Koronin wrote:If McConnell would do his job it appears there are enough votes in the House and Senate to override a veto. Pass the bill and make him veto it and then see what happens.

On a different note, it's extremely infuriorating how many men have no clue how expensive birth control is when it's not covered by insurance. (By the way even under the ACA name brand BC has a co-pay. It's only generics that are no co-pay.) I think the men (or at least hope) here have some clue as to how expensive it actually is.


I hope that you seriously consider this from a slightly different angle..when you get a beer,you know the cost,a hotel room,a car,a plate of food,a gallon of gas. The price for all is clear.when you check out at the grocery store..everything has a price,bike shop,apartment or buying a house..you know the price.
Medical everything in the US has a complete disconnect w reality.people walk in and out of a doctor's office, get surgery,drugs..nobody knows how much anything costs..really. They might know a co-host of some deductible but the true cost of medicine in America is a mystery and it makes is stupid. Not knowing what your true wages are..not being able to pursue dreams or switch employment or careers because you and your families health care is tied to your job..
And knowing that some numbskull at Hobby lobby or Chick Filet could keep a woman from getting any birth control let alone cheap or name brand ..
We really need to wake up
And yes men should..but don't have a clue about birth control costs
The idea as a culture we openly discuss..in public and in our government that 26 year old adults need to be able to continue coverage on their parents health insurance..and we are not ashamed and deeply deeply embarrassed is flabbergasting to me..
We need to start fixing things..
Unchained
Member
 
Posts: 1,342
Joined: 05 Sep 2016 00:24

Re: Re:

15 Jan 2019 04:35

Unchained wrote:
Koronin wrote:If McConnell would do his job it appears there are enough votes in the House and Senate to override a veto. Pass the bill and make him veto it and then see what happens.

On a different note, it's extremely infuriorating how many men have no clue how expensive birth control is when it's not covered by insurance. (By the way even under the ACA name brand BC has a co-pay. It's only generics that are no co-pay.) I think the men (or at least hope) here have some clue as to how expensive it actually is.


I hope that you seriously consider this from a slightly different angle..when you get a beer,you know the cost,a hotel room,a car,a plate of food,a gallon of gas. The price for all is clear.when you check out at the grocery store..everything has a price,bike shop,apartment or buying a house..you know the price.
Medical everything in the US has a complete disconnect w reality.people walk in and out of a doctor's office, get surgery,drugs..nobody knows how much anything costs..really. They might know a co-host of some deductible but the true cost of medicine in America is a mystery and it makes is stupid. Not knowing what your true wages are..not being able to pursue dreams or switch employment or careers because you and your families health care is tied to your job..
And knowing that some numbskull at Hobby lobby or Chick Filet could keep a woman from getting any birth control let alone cheap or name brand ..
We really need to wake up
And yes men should..but don't have a clue about birth control costs
The idea as a culture we openly discuss..in public and in our government that 26 year old adults need to be able to continue coverage on their parents health insurance..and we are not ashamed and deeply deeply embarrassed is flabbergasting to me..
We need to start fixing things..



You're right about healthcare being a disconnect along with being way too expensive in general.

The really cheap birth control that is something like less than $10 or something at Walmart is stuff that very few women can take. Most women can't even take generics due to side effects. Generics run between $30 and $60 a month with a few being more expensive. Name brand ones start at $100 per month and go upwards of $500 per month. Even I didn't know til recently there are some that cost close to or just over $500 per month. The patch and shot are in the price range of the name brand ones. The implant and IUDs have much higher upfront costs. IUDs are around $1,000 up front cost that must be paid in full before it's implanted. The arm implant is about the same cost as an IUD. Also although the IUD and implant are the best form of BC with the lowest failure rates not all women can use them because they are single instead of double hormones. The shot is also one instead of 2 hormones. I do not know what a tubal costs, even though I did have that done. My insurance covered it. Only thing I had to pay was the anesthesia.

Yes the health care in this country needs fixed badly. It is broken and band aids don't work.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,399
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

15 Jan 2019 07:29

It really is a scandal US health care. Sad!
"Imagine your loved ones conquered by Napoleon and forced to live under French rule. Do you want them to eat that rich food and those heavy sauces? Do you want them to have soufflé every meal and croissant?"
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,780
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

Re:

15 Jan 2019 08:06

Robert5091 wrote:It really is a scandal US health care. Sad!

You could even say it's a humanitarian crisis...
"This comment qualifies as a shining example of the "anyone who disagrees with my perspective is a dolt" leftist, intolerant mish-mash of shallow thinking." - Scott SoCal
User avatar frenchfry
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,373
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 14:28
Location: Bourgogne

Re: Re:

15 Jan 2019 08:19

frenchfry wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:It really is a scandal US health care. Sad!

You could even say it's a humanitarian crisis...


Maybe Trump should "declare a national emergency" ?

Bernie's point of view (love the man, but like Biden, please don't run again. Find someone younger & someone Trump does n't already have a demeaning nickname for)
http://inthesetimes.com/article/21664/military-budget-Yemen
Several months ago, Democrats, with virtually no opposition, gave President Trump every nickel that he wanted in increased defense spending. At a time when our infrastructure is crumbling, when public schools lack the resources to provide a quality education for our kids, when 30 million people have no health insurance, there were very few Democrats opposed to Republican efforts to increase military spending by $165 billion over two years.

Democrats, for good reason, vehemently oppose almost everything Trump proposes, but when he asks for a huge increase in military spending, there are almost no voices in dissent. Why is that? Do we really have to spend more on the military than the next 10 nations combined—most of which are our allies? Why do we dramatically increase funding for the military when the Department of Defense remains the only major government agency not to have undertaken a comprehensive audit? Why is there so little discussion about the billions in waste, fraud and cost overruns at the Pentagon?
"Imagine your loved ones conquered by Napoleon and forced to live under French rule. Do you want them to eat that rich food and those heavy sauces? Do you want them to have soufflé every meal and croissant?"
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,780
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

15 Jan 2019 15:23

If you want to scratch your healthcare head for the rest of the day...? Members of Congress,probably while drinking beer came across some curious facts about drugs used worldwide.Some drugs that are used in the U.S. are many times less expensive in other countries..so a common sense solution to the problem..ask drug companies to sell the US the drugs at the lower price..rejected completely..plan C..buy the drugs at a cheaper price in the least expensive country and import them back into the US saving billions...completely rejected..
Why?
Wouldn't getting the same thing for a better price be the American way?what gives?
Unchained
Member
 
Posts: 1,342
Joined: 05 Sep 2016 00:24


Re:

15 Jan 2019 21:28

Unchained wrote:If you want to scratch your healthcare head for the rest of the day...? Members of Congress,probably while drinking beer came across some curious facts about drugs used worldwide.Some drugs that are used in the U.S. are many times less expensive in other countries..so a common sense solution to the problem..ask drug companies to sell the US the drugs at the lower price..rejected completely..plan C..buy the drugs at a cheaper price in the least expensive country and import them back into the US saving billions...completely rejected..
Why?
Wouldn't getting the same thing for a better price be the American way?what gives?


Big Pharma lobby groups and huge payments to Congress to basically make it illegal for us to order medications from Canada let alone from anywhere else. Although at this point if I lived near the Canadian border depending on cost with insurance (co insurance not co pay) and full price there, I'd get it there.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,399
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

15 Jan 2019 21:29

Robert5091, it is a major problem.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,399
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re:

16 Jan 2019 06:51

Koronin wrote:Robert5091, it is a major problem.


I don't think anyone would disagree and the problems have been known for decades - I remember Hillary's attempt at reform under husband Bill's presidency.

Trump came in claiming a lot but after meeting lobbyists, well ...https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/1/31/14453740/trump-medicare-prescription-drugs
"who knew health care was so complicated?" :rolleyes:

Health care is really a prime example of the bad influence of money in politics.
"Imagine your loved ones conquered by Napoleon and forced to live under French rule. Do you want them to eat that rich food and those heavy sauces? Do you want them to have soufflé every meal and croissant?"
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,780
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

16 Jan 2019 11:20

Don't hold your breath, but there might be some improvement -
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/425535-house-dems-fire-first-in-drug-pricing-fight
House Democrats this week fired a shot across the bow of the nation’s pharmaceutical companies as they begin a long-anticipated effort to cut down on high drug prices.

The House Oversight and Reform Committee launched a sweeping investigation into how the industry sets its prices, in what is being seen as one of the broadest drug pricing investigations in decades.

Rising drug prices have been a central concern for Oversight and Reform Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings (D-Md.), who has also vowed to bring pharmaceutical industry executives to testify in front of the committee.

“For years, drug companies have been aggressively increasing prices on existing drugs and setting higher launch prices for new drugs while recording windfall profits,” Cummings said in a statement.

Cummings sent letters to a dozen different companies seeking detailed
information and documents about how the companies price their medications.
"Imagine your loved ones conquered by Napoleon and forced to live under French rule. Do you want them to eat that rich food and those heavy sauces? Do you want them to have soufflé every meal and croissant?"
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,780
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Back to top