Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

16 Apr 2019 04:51

Get in the popcorn, cancel Easter plans and head for the storm shelter - a Twitter storm is a coming.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/15/mueller-report-to-be-released-on-thursday-1275974
Attorney General William Barr is set to release on Thursday morning a redacted version of the report special counsel Robert Mueller submitted at the conclusion of his two-year Russia probe.

At that time, the report — which appears destined to cast a long shadow over President Donald Trump’s reelection bid regardless of its content — will be made available to Congress and the public, a Justice Department spokeswoman said Monday.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

Don't mention Khashoggi! It’s a collusion witch hoax!
User avatar Robert5091

16 Apr 2019 04:57

Smart move - if someone is to beat Trump, they have to go to Trump country - including the #1 network - bravo!

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/15/bernie-sanders-millionaire-no-apology-1277009
Bernie Sanders entered the Fox's den on Monday night — and he not only survived the hour-long encounter, but often dominated.

Appearing at a Fox News-hosted town hall smack dab in the middle of Trump Country, the Democratic presidential front-runner played the part, swatting down tough questions from the hosts about health care, defense spending, and his newfound wealth. At one point, the Vermont senator even led the network’s audience in a call-and-response that found them cheering loudly for his policies.

User avatar Robert5091

16 Apr 2019 18:27

I would be very curious to know how they pick the audience for that kind of thing. The first question was from a student, who someone on twitter outed as being an organizer for Turning Points USA. After Bernie's Q&A, Fox had on Art Laffer who claimed that electing Sanders would cause another Great Recession. He also indicated that Obama caused the last one in 2007 (yes, he really said that). I can understand why the DNC is not giving FNC a debate, but if the appearance helps Sanders pick up a few votes in the primaries, it might be a smart decision by him.
None of us alone are as stupid as all of us together.
djpbaltimore

Re: U.S. Politics

16 Apr 2019 22:42

Bustedknuckle wrote:Who was the poster who said trump wasn't a racist?
-Birther nonsense
-removing or changing or criticizing anything the non white POTUS has said or done
-present and past comments about anybody living south of the border
-muslim ban plus suggestion for muslim 'registration'
-"muslims were cheering in Jersey when the trade center came down"(lie)
-muslim ban
-'any country run by a black man is a shite-hole'
-'blacks are too stupid to vote for me'
-his BS comments and direct threats to Ilhan Omar..if she was a christian, he wouldn't have said a thing..

trump is a racist and sexist pig..

Candace Owens does not agree with you.
User avatar oldcrank

17 Apr 2019 02:22

Michele Bachmann said that big gut trump is the most biblical prez ever. :lol: Is there anyone who believes that? NO! He's not only the least biblical prez, he's nearly on the opposite end of the spectrum of all people in general.
jmdirt

Re:

17 Apr 2019 03:24

jmdirt wrote:Michele Bachmann said that big gut trump is the most biblical prez ever. :lol: Is there anyone who believes that? NO! He's not only the least biblical prez, he's nearly on the opposite end of the spectrum of all people in general.

may depend on your perspective of 'bibilcal'... my first thought was around Sodom and Gemora
(not that I know who Michele Bachmann is, or what her full comment was)
User avatar Archibald

17 Apr 2019 05:32

Trump not liking Fox having Bernie on his network -
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/16/trump-fox-sanders-town-hall-1277611
President Donald Trump on Tuesday took jabs at Fox News one day after Sen. Bernie Sanders’ surprisingly successful town hall appearance on the president’s favorite network.

Trump said on Twitter that it was “weird” to watch the Democratic presidential candidate on the channel and characterized the town hall as the second instance of unusual behavior by the network known for its conservative bent and fervent defenses of the White House.

Also the Trump vetoes Yemen war resolution - https://www.axios.com/trump-vetoes-resolution-asking-end-us-involvement-yemen-56dce5b1-eac5-4198-b7b1-b3b1a1edb7cb.html
"This resolution is an unnecessary, dangerous attempt to weaken my constitutional authorities, endangering the lives of American citizens and brave service members, both today and in the future."

He's going to see lots of photos of dead and dying kids from the Dems now.

User avatar Robert5091

17 Apr 2019 05:38

Bachmann was really saying Trump dogwhistles hating gays & supporting Israel -
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/16/politics/michele-bachman-donald-trump-bible-religious/index.html
It's very hard to quantify what Bachmann meant in describing Trump as "highly biblical." Does that mean she believes him to be governing with the Bible as a sort of north star? That Trump is the platonic ideal of what the Bible wants in a leader? Or simply that Trump is a deeply religious person? Bachmann's comments about Trump's faith immediately followed a portion of the interview where she praised his military ban on transgender personnel, explaining that "he has stood up where most Republicans wouldn't dare to stand up." In fact, when evangelicals call Trump biblical, they are often talking about his policies on issues like Israel and abortion, rather than personal morality.

Edit - just saw this which might explain a thing or two - https://www.rawstory.com/2019/04/scientists-established-link-religious-fundamentalism-brain-damage/
A study published in the journal Neuropsychologia has shown that religious fundamentalism is, in part, the result of a functional impairment in a brain region known as the prefrontal cortex.

User avatar Robert5091

17 Apr 2019 07:32

oldcrank wrote:
-Birther nonsense
-removing or changing or criticizing anything the non white POTUS has said or done
-muslim ban
-his BS comments and direct threats to Ilhan Omar..if she was a christian, he wouldn't have said a thing..

Anyone who takes Candance Owens seriously is probably beyond help at this point.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

Re:

17 Apr 2019 14:23

Robert5091 wrote:Smart move - if someone is to beat Trump, they have to go to Trump country - including the #1 network - bravo!

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/15/bernie-sanders-millionaire-no-apology-1277009
Bernie Sanders entered the Fox's den on Monday night — and he not only survived the hour-long encounter, but often dominated.

Appearing at a Fox News-hosted town hall smack dab in the middle of Trump Country, the Democratic presidential front-runner played the part, swatting down tough questions from the hosts about health care, defense spending, and his newfound wealth. At one point, the Vermont senator even led the network’s audience in a call-and-response that found them cheering loudly for his policies.

And of course, trump the dunce whined and moaned..
Without offering any evidence, Trump on Tuesday night accused Fox News of blocking his own supporters from attending the town hall the night before with Sanders.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/17/trump-fox-news-bernie-sanders-1278845

Lying sac, trump.
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran

17 Apr 2019 14:28

oldcrank wrote:
-Birther nonsense
-muslim ban

You don't either, I guess.
She is the Director of Communications at the conservative advocacy group Turning Point USA.

She chooses to call 'fake news' anything racist that trump has SAID, like it seems, you do too.

BTW-if Omar was a white, male 'christian', trump the racist pig wouldn't have said anything..

trump, lacking any morals or ideology, just wants to rile his 'basket of deplorables', and nothing more. Anybody who doesn't see this is naive at best, ignorant at worse(like his deplorables)..
Veteran

Re:

17 Apr 2019 14:32

jmdirt wrote:Michele Bachmann said that big gut trump is the most biblical prez ever. :lol: Is there anyone who believes that? NO! He's not only the least biblical prez, he's nearly on the opposite end of the spectrum of all people in general.

Unfortunately, there's a basket of deplorables, that do..Everytime he slams Omar, or anything Muslim, they cheer like 21st century crusaders...
Veteran

Re: Re:

17 Apr 2019 18:37

Archibald wrote:

may depend on your perspective of 'bibilcal'... my first thought was around Sodom and Gemora
(not that I know who Michele Bachmann is, or what her full comment was)

I overheard two LDS people here at work talking about this and they agree that he is biblical, after all, the devil is in the bible! Disclaimer: I never engage in religious or political conversations at work for obvious reasons, but do enjoy listening to others.
jmdirt

Yesterday 04:54

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/nyt-doj-numerous-conversations-white-house-mueller-report
White House attorneys have had “numerous conversations” with Justice Department officials about the conclusion of the Mueller report, the New York Times reported, helping the President’s legal team prepare in advance for the document’s release.

ABC News reported on Tuesday that the White House had “received a broad briefing on the report,” including that it would be divided into sections on alleged collusion and obstruction.

“The talks have aided the president’s legal team as it prepares a rebuttal to the report and strategizes for the coming public war over its findings,” reads the Times story.

The Times added that “a sense of paranoia” has gripped top White House staff. That corroborates an earlier NBC report on the bubbling anxiety among staffers who fear their cooperation with the Mueller investigation will be exposed.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/maxing-it-out-for-trump
We’ve now gotten more details about about what we’ve basically already known or should have known: the fix is in. The goal here is to max out every avenue to protect the President from the contents of the Report. Bill Barr and his friends at the White House clearly do not care what anyone outside of Trump world thinks at this point. They are not even bothering to keep up appearances at the margins. A good and increasingly relevant question for Bill Barr at this point would be at what point the statutory powers of the Attorney General can amount to obstruction of justice if exercised with corrupt intent.

NY Times article at https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/17/us/politics/trump-mueller-report.html

Can n't wait for Trump to claim people are out to crucify him - what with it being Easter.

EDIT - see that https://www.rawstory.com/2019/04/judiciary-chair-lays-4-charges-bill-barr-sound-like-articles-impeachment/
... the evening before the report’s scheduled release, the Department of Justice has informed the committee that it will receive a copy between 11:00 and noon — well after the Attorney General’s 9:30 a.m. press conference,” Nadler said. “This is wrong.”

... the chairs of five committees called on Barr to cancel his press conference.

Judiciary Chair Jerry Nadler (D-NY), Intelligence Chair Adam Schiff (D-CA), Oversight Chair Elijah (D-MD), Financial Services Chair Maxine Waters (D-CA) and Foreign Affairs Chair Elliot Engel (D-NY) issued a joint statement demanding the cancelation.

This TV hoopla is all for Trump - he does n't read and will be glued to the TV during his normal "executive time".
Last edited by Robert5091 on 18 Apr 2019 09:46, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Robert5091

Yesterday 09:30

http://tass.com/world/1054288 MOSCOW, April 18.

Special Assistant to the US President, Senior Director for European and Russian Affairs on the US National Security Council staff Fiona Hill, paid a visit to hold consultations, a diplomatic source told TASS on Thursday.

"Fiona Hill was in Moscow for consultations," he pointed out.

https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/wires/1.7139019
Fiona Hill, an adviser to U.S. President Donald Trump, visited Moscow this week and discussed bilateral relations with Kremlin aide Yuri Ushakov, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters on Thursday.

Consultations? Updating Vlad on Mueller report? :D

User avatar Robert5091

Yesterday 15:03

-Barr is a puppet, just like most politicians.
-Its silly (I'm being polite) that anyone is putting any weight on what Barr says.
-Congress should see the report, the general public doesn't need to.

I make no bones about the fact that donny the gut trumper is a deplorable POS (as a person and a prez), but congress has used that as a shield to be even more useless than ever. I don't expect politicians to actually represent their constituents anymore, but come on...
jmdirt

Re:

Yesterday 15:19

jmdirt wrote:-Barr is a puppet, just like most politicians.

I believe you misspelled a word here.
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

Yesterday 15:40

Jack Posobiec
@JackPosobiec
Just realized Barr is saying this man committed no crime and the media is chanting ‘crucify him crucify him’ and tomorrow is Good Friday
This is someone who has a cable news program. Enough internet for me today.

Mueller: “The President’s efforts to influence the investigation were mostly unsuccessful, but that is largely because the persons who surrounded the President declined to carry out orders or accede to his requests."
Much like with McCain who ended Trump's foolhardy quest to end Obamacare, Trump's presidency is potentially saved by people around him not listening to what he wants done. It really makes you wonder how common this is in the West Wing during normal business hours.
None of us alone are as stupid as all of us together.
djpbaltimore

Yesterday 20:50

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47983489
The report says that in June 2017, Mr Trump called Don McGahn - then a White House lawyer - to try to get Mr Mueller removed over alleged "conflicts of interest".

Mr McGahn told the special counsel he resigned after feeling "trapped because he did not plan to follow the President's directive" and would not have known what to say to Mr Trump had he called again.

OMG! :eek:

The report says that potential obstruction of justice by the president only failed because members of his administration, including former FBI Director James Comey, refused to "carry out orders"

OMG! :eek:

No wonder they talked about the 25th Amendment. Thank God that the people around Trump then (not now probably) knew what was right and wrong.

User avatar Robert5091

Yesterday 23:01

The Mueller report isn't afraid to use raw language:

Trump said upon the appointment of Meuller, "this is the end of my Presidency..I'm ******."

McGahn was packed up and ready to leave because Trump was demanding that he do "really crazy ****."

Meanwhile, lost in the Mueller report discussion, North Korea has just conducted another weapons test, though apparently not a ballistic missile, and Kim is demanding, as a precondition of any more talks with the U.S., the removal of Pompeo.
Merckx index

PreviousNext

Return to General