Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

05 Jun 2019 02:51

Speaking of rocket fuel..Trump is waffling a lil' on Mexico, but now he wants to start with India..not sure what he learned in school..obviously not much. Starting economic fires worldwide is going to burn us,period. So is talking trash a European economies, giving the Japanese and Korean economy an insult or two..going head to head with China..telling a UK Teresa " to stick around "..Trump telling Brits that he sees "@300-500 % growth potential between the U.S. and British economies" .
Also a tiny quirk..Trump is praising himself for the release of an American prisoner in Turkey. Guy can't leave Turkey as a condition of his release..what?
Trump left out the whole horse trade was to get the Turkish dictator to reconsider buying Russian weapons..
Turkey finalized the deal with Russia.
China called Mike Pompeo a loon.
Nobody from the White House will comment on reports that N Korea executed some of the organizers of the failed Trump -Rocket Man summit..
Funny last time Trump visited he couldn't distinguish between England and everyone else..wasn't sure if Scotland,Ireland and N.Ireland were not all some big subdivision he developed..
Unchained

05 Jun 2019 14:03

(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle

06 Jun 2019 14:25

I think it was an act of class when Trump included some sincere and sobering words in his D-Day speech. The part when he looked over to the WWll vets and said " thank God you guys didn't get home spurs!!! ". Great leader, great President.

It may not be the most obvious or important thing that Americans pick up on..our President has met with many world leaders lately. Some foreign leaders have given commencement and other speeches in the US in English. Today France's leader gave part of an emotional response to war and war veterans in English. Our President can't speak English or tweet type it into his phone. Forget about speaking or understanding another language. Just look at his communication in England and Ireland..he made fools of us.

A note about the new Mexican President Amlo..during the campaign and election process his inability to speak English was an issue..time will tell if worries about not being bilingual was important. Probably more important to Mexico and Mexicans is Trumps sudden change of mind about complex trade deals that Donald has suddenly disregarded because he didn't get his way.
Unchained

06 Jun 2019 20:27

I'm glad that dt cleared up a few things: Vietnam was a terrible war (all this time most people thought that it was one of the fun wars :rolleyes: ), and it was far away (that explains why I don't see it on my daily commute).
jmdirt

07 Jun 2019 05:49

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/447215-us-military-personnel-ordered-to-paint-border-barriers-to-improve
United States military personnel deployed near the U.S.-Mexico border have reportedly been assigned to paint certain barrier structures to strengthen their “aesthetic appearance.”

Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) said on Twitter on Wednesday afternoon that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) informed Congress that troops are going to spend the next month painting barriers and that “the primary purpose is to improve the aesthetic appearance.”

So what's this year's colour? Teal? Cerise? :lol:
"Imagine your loved ones conquered by Napoleon and forced to live under French rule. Do you want them to eat that rich food and those heavy sauces? Do you want them to have soufflé every meal and croissant?"
User avatar Robert5091

07 Jun 2019 12:29

Anyone who has ever painted anything that is rusty..and is exposed to the Arizona and California desert heat..and the salty air of the Pacific ocean knows it's a fools errand. Mother nature wins..always and forever. The painting and maintenance bill and reoccurring costs will be staggering
Unchained

08 Jun 2019 04:15

The republicans in DC have done nothing for the people of this country for at least six years.

dt, has dropped our standing in the world, and his only response is to make the cost of living climb for us while also p*ssing off everyone world wide!

He calls NP a disgrace to herself and her family, but he is a disgrace to the entire country.
Last edited by jmdirt on 08 Jun 2019 15:22, edited 1 time in total.
jmdirt

08 Jun 2019 05:51

The way to deal with Trump -
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jun/7/donald-trump-says-mexico-has-reached-deal-border-c/
Mexico - "We've put the first Ninja and Unicorn Cavalry Regiment on the southern border so that'll stop the immigrants Donnie."
Trump - "I knew my threat of tariffs would work!"
"Imagine your loved ones conquered by Napoleon and forced to live under French rule. Do you want them to eat that rich food and those heavy sauces? Do you want them to have soufflé every meal and croissant?"
User avatar Robert5091

08 Jun 2019 15:39

I have said many times that my vantage point maybe slightly different crossing into San Diego and back into Baja sometimes twice a week. Trump has really done significant work on replacing border wall sections here in Northern Baja. The border patrol has a larger presence..at first glance I would say a 20% increase in personnel.
The Mexicans have pulsed here and there but significant visible crack down on migrants..not that I have seen.
One economic thing I have not clearly understood. Most of Mexico has a @$5 dollars a day minimum wage. That is an issue to deal with on it's own. But from the current administration and the bee in their bonnet why oh' why would you not apply standard American economic strategy to the border patrol?
The U.S. should be training and funding Mexican border patrol..everyone take a deep breath..Mexico doesn't have a border patrol.duh.
When Trump just spent millions on a significant metal wall..@25ft high..why didn't the U.S. design include service roads like on the U.S. side? Having inexpensive Mexican agents patrolling their side would appear to be common sense. I don't think that the average American knows how much it costs to deploy a single agent to our border with a vehicle,equipment and training. For sure above @$150,000 per year per agent. Regular San Diego city cops cost @$138,000 on average. So I am guessing that oil changes,sick days and vehicles and upkeep are not any cheaper for ICE.
This whole "everyone is an idiot!"" Everyone is against us" is a loser. We need to start working with people instead of America the island that Trump is preaching.
Americans are not buying all the sky beans,beef pork lobster corn and everything else in surplus. Pretending that we can pull up the drawbridge and live happily ever after is bvllshlt. Selfishly I need bicycle,motorcycle and fishing imported products to live.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z5ki5Tt8tL0

This video is sobering.
I have read all week about layoffs being underreported or ignored all together.
Unchained

Re:

08 Jun 2019 17:07

Unchained wrote:I have said many times that my vantage point maybe slightly different crossing into San Diego and back into Baja sometimes twice a week. Trump has really done significant work on replacing border wall sections here in Northern Baja. The border patrol has a larger presence..at first glance I would say a 20% increase in personnel.
The Mexicans have pulsed here and there but significant visible crack down on migrants..not that I have seen.
One economic thing I have not clearly understood. Most of Mexico has a @$5 dollars a day minimum wage. That is an issue to deal with on it's own. But from the current administration and the bee in their bonnet why oh' why would you not apply standard American economic strategy to the border patrol?
The U.S. should be training and funding Mexican border patrol..everyone take a deep breath..Mexico doesn't have a border patrol.duh.
When Trump just spent millions on a significant metal wall..@25ft high..why didn't the U.S. design include service roads like on the U.S. side? Having inexpensive Mexican agents patrolling their side would appear to be common sense. I don't think that the average American knows how much it costs to deploy a single agent to our border with a vehicle,equipment and training. For sure above @$150,000 per year per agent. Regular San Diego city cops cost @$138,000 on average. So I am guessing that oil changes,sick days and vehicles and upkeep are not any cheaper for ICE.
This whole "everyone is an idiot!"" Everyone is against us" is a loser. We need to start working with people instead of America the island that Trump is preaching.
Americans are not buying all the sky beans,beef pork lobster corn and everything else in surplus. Pretending that we can pull up the drawbridge and live happily ever after is bvllshlt. Selfishly I need bicycle,motorcycle and fishing imported products to live.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z5ki5Tt8tL0

This video is sobering.
I have read all week about layoffs being underreported or ignored all together.

The Carrier (UTC) lie is one of many that I hope people are paying attention to. dt promised to make America great...it is less great than it was when he took office.

The "jobs numbers" are like any other data/statistics in that they twist them to say what the want. If you'll notice, they are frequently reported as "jobs added" or "jobs created". "50,000 jobs added", doesn't account for 20,000 jobs lost.

Employment/unemployment numbers are another questionable figure because once someone maxes out their benefit, they go off of the roll, but that doesn't mean that they are employed.
jmdirt

08 Jun 2019 19:55

I think these few guys speak for lots of America.(@ Over 50% in my opinion).
We better start doing "real" math instead of political math. 1 job lost and another created is not a wash. The one lost..benefits and some contribution to the future. New ones are lower paying. Often a gig economy structure were Uber or Lyft tell you where to go,what to wear,what you can and cannot do..but in the grey area of the law you are a contractor not an employee. Why would a company pay sick days,health insurance and vacations if they don't have to? Forget about retirement benefits!
And Trump is certainly not to blame for the shift in an apples to apples comparison.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ld-cpcxMWt4&t=13s

There are many things that Dingbatt Donald is on the hook for but the way the government counts who is employed or not is not his doing. What defines employment,full or underemployment..we need to work harder at real world definitions to we can get real world data.
@58 months has been the normal economic cycle in the US..Trump is riding high..telling anybody who will listen how great everything is..when the crisis starts.whatever that is,war,recession,health crisis,terror or natural disaster..Trump is going to be the absolute worst choice to be in the got seat.
The guy doesn't believe in real life..
shlt happens.
Not Donnie he is constantly looking for trouble worldwide
Trump needs to be asked and needs to answer why he and his daughter don't produce all their products w American materials and labor. Why is Home Depot,Lowe's Wal-Mart and Target stocked with non American made items?
What tool,tennis shoes,laptop and cell phone folks have sat at the White House for detailed meaningful discussion? How about cars? What's the pulse Donald? Are Ford Chevy and Chrysler talking about massive amounts of money reinvestment in U.S. factories?
Oops I meant Fiat..and now some other foreign folks are discussing buying a brand to enter the market.For sure if Tata or the Chinese go whole hog..Trumps head will explode

https://www.tata.com/business/tata-motors
Unchained

08 Jun 2019 23:52

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-dairy-farm-under-fire-after-video-shows-animal-abuse-20190608-s3ozcnifvzbghmtc3mgyeod27y-story.html

This is what happens when you lower the bad so low w human beings..read babies from mothers. Here is what's under our feet when every fvckin discussion includes "our economy.....-----. Best ever"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x-Ykz9eFB9U

We need to have another cup of coffee or drink and think this through. Our kids are seeing this, not a scary movie or theme park. We have seen the man behind the curtain
Unchained

09 Jun 2019 02:54

jmdirt

Re:

09 Jun 2019 03:04

Unchained wrote:https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-dairy-farm-under-fire-after-video-shows-animal-abuse-20190608-s3ozcnifvzbghmtc3mgyeod27y-story.html

This is what happens when you lower the bad so low w human beings..read babies from mothers. Here is what's under our feet when every fvckin discussion includes "our economy.....-----. Best ever"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x-Ykz9eFB9U

We need to have another cup of coffee or drink and think this through. Our kids are seeing this, not a scary movie or theme park. We have seen the man behind the curtain

A few years ago an animal advocacy group filmed dairy cows being abused (it was so disgusting that I won't search for the vids to post). What did state republican law makers do about it? They made it a felony to film such acts!

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/jan/24/idaho-may-pay-legal-fees-after-losing-dairy-spying/
jmdirt

09 Jun 2019 04:35

This is funny but it's not

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NBh3V-6P3kE

That is the leader of the free world
Unchained

Re:

09 Jun 2019 15:20

Unchained wrote:This is funny but it's not

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NBh3V-6P3kE

That is the leader of the free world

He is such an idiot!
He knows most of the Irish Americans because they are friends of his (most, like 25 million or so?).
The Queen can walk almost as fast as he can.
(Prince Charles) is really into climate change.
He likes to call himself a functional genius, but dysfunctional moron is more accurate. Seriously, the three statements that I pulled from his interview(s) are the ramblings of a madman.
jmdirt

09 Jun 2019 16:04

I am pretty conflicted about the environment. My dad made everything and provided plenty for me and my brother. He went from a bagboy at an AJ Bayless grocery store in the Phoenix area to a self made man able to retire before his @56th birthday. He did everything and anything concerning construction and land development in the valley ( greater Phoenix) whenever I come back and forth between places I know in the southwest there is a sense of guilt.

Where I rode bicycles,motorcycles and horses is gone forever.

Phoenix(Scottsdale,Tempe,Mesa,Glendale,ect) is a place of ruins. Denver and San Diego..still OK..but like anybody aging I want young people to see and experience some of what I did. My guilt and hope is that things, processes, mentalities are not past the point of no return.
I pray that the Grand Canyon is not wrecked by a short sighted numbnuts. that doesn't,can't conceptualize what nature is..that even with all it's grandeur it can't heal itself.
I watched Trump at the DDay interview were he simply couldn't keep his eye on the ball..one day..a few minutes in a one of a kind special place,to momentarily honor heros..only a few hours to stay on message. He couldn't do it. He talked about Robert Mueller and Nancy Pelosi instead,
headstones of hero warriors as the background of his bvllshit, he is ugly and ignorant from the deepest part of his insides.
I was always a Republican..always a capitalist..these last years, before Trump have made involuntary attitude adjustments about everything. Knowing Team Trump is trusted with caring for our kids, our oceans and air..the Grand Canyon..Alaska..truly and profoundly scary.
Pray for us and the rest of nature..we are at war
Unchained

10 Jun 2019 02:09

Unchained, in speaking of the Grand Canyon, add a lot of other places to that. There are places I remember visiting as a child that have been since ruined by additional buildings and other things. I remember visiting Stone Mountain as a child and being in awe of what the sculptors did and they had people there dressed in Antebellum clothing and explained life at that time (including slavery). I remember the history lessons of visiting there. Now it's an amusement park. First time as a young child we visited Mount Rushmore it was amazing driving up to the parking lot and seeing it as you got closer. Now it has a visitor center blocking the view. It just destroys the entire thing. Now I don't remember drastic changes to Yellowstone between the two visits. Only been to the Grand Canyon once and it was beautiful. However, I'm also one of those with a major fear of heights so kept my distance even from the railing.
User avatar Koronin

10 Jun 2019 15:13

When we get reports that plastic is everywhere. Even @5+ miles deep in the oceans. We all need to be concerned. People in Pennsylvania don't feel that they have much in common with Mexico,but as trains,trucks and barges filled with New York trash they maybe surprised.
Mexico, even close to the ocean have waste processing plants for U.S. recyclables,which too often is just trash. Canyons(unlined ) are just backfilled a garbage.
Talks about fossil fuels and mining are everywhere in our country. Jobs as has been and always will be the issue,get communities and the government to bend,change of ignore rules and regulations that are in place to help us and the environment.
In the southwest the stat that is most often used is @80% of water is used for agriculture. I find that really spooky with everywhere I travel in a constant state of boom town. I am curious to what Utah looks like this year..? I love the Tour of Utah and Utah.
Leaving tomorrow morning for Monterey Mexico for 6 days. The amount of industry and growth there is nothing short of crazy. Traffic that makes NYC and S.Cal look normal. Trash?I don't see a huge problem. Cars and aerospace industries are all over Monterey..But no old school smoke stacks or anything that appears old time Detroit.?.
I will ride by Carrier's plant just out of a morbid curiosity.I have zero trust in the Mexican government to care about the environment, Trump looks like President Greenpeace compared to Mexico's authorities. Jobs at any cost.period.

* I have a couple of leads on a decent rental bike,but the only sure thing is @40
pound bike share tank.
Unchained

11 Jun 2019 14:54

I was just reading this morning that Blue Cross of Idaho bought "part" of Primary Health (clinics). This just doesn't seem right to me...

People/employers pay premiums to BC
BC pays PH (and themselves) for treating patients

I don't necessary advocate regulating everything, but this? Should insurance companies own clinics/care facilities/ hospitals?
jmdirt

PreviousNext

Return to General