Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

11 Jun 2019 16:00

Should the fox guard the hen house..
Not a question
Unchained

11 Jun 2019 17:56

Sometimes I have to remind myself that this guy is really the president. At one point he pulls a folded piece of paper out of his jacket, saying that this is the secret deal between the US and Mexico, that he alone has the option to divulge... and he is just waiting for Mexico to allow him to release it. At one point he loudly tells the press to "Take my word" for it. Sounds legit to me.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1138493800991666176

Of the 11 tweets Trump made in the last 24 hours, 7 are just him tweeting videos from Fox News of people praising him. Others attack the news for accurate reporting. And he congratulated a race car driver.
None of us alone are as stupid as all of us together.
djpbaltimore

Re:

11 Jun 2019 18:35

Unchained wrote:Should the fox guard the hen house..
Not a question

Its not the fox guarding the hen house, its the fox owning the hen house (the hens are paying the fox to pay it self).
jmdirt

12 Jun 2019 01:28

Nope and isn't that how monopolies start?
User avatar Koronin

12 Jun 2019 04:41

dt signed yet another executive order: this one to push genetically engineered food. While not exactly the same thing (depending on the semantics I guess), the known and suspected side effects/results of GMOs should be a flashing red light for GEF! I know that he doesn't understand and therefore believe in science, but come on man!

https://www.apnews.com/2895e0f0ef344d16bfcf6f457ed2e759

“Some of this is what I call a faith-based approach, and not science-based approach to regulation. They have faith that none of these things are going to cause any problems,” --Center for Food Safety Note: some of these things are going to cause problems.
jmdirt

Re:

12 Jun 2019 13:56

jmdirt wrote:dt signed yet another executive order: this one to push genetically engineered food. While not exactly the same thing (depending on the semantics I guess), the known and suspected side effects/results of GMOs should be a flashing red light for GEF! I know that he doesn't understand and therefore believe in science, but come on man!

https://www.apnews.com/2895e0f0ef344d16bfcf6f457ed2e759

When we had the government shutdown we saw but didn't care about much.
The inspection process is spotty at best. The number of players trying to sell is garbage to eat is ever increasing.
As we modify things that are within the imagination of the best,brightest well meaning genetic engineers..and also the work of unscrupulous scientists..the world.mother nature will show we didn't,couldn't anticipate all wild world variables.
Trump has shown over and over and over that even the simplest of science is not in his grasp. Nuclear and food issues need plans..long term comprehensive plans.
Not emotional bathrobe tweets based on what big pharma and ag dreamed up. Curious to see what Trump would have looked and talked like as a juror on an Roundup trials? As more data comes available..all the seed modifications may fvck is forever,but lucky for us the effects of weed management is being revealed and some victims possibly compensated.
Until the companies file bankruptcy. The world may not know how the American system works, here's the short version. Invent a dangerous product like Roundup or opiods..keep cashing checks until it looks like you have been found out. File bankruptcy.avoid paying victims and physical damages.
Modify a food that kills all corn,soy or chickens..say "oops" .file..start over again.
If anyone is using Faith based science for food inspection and research as a prevailing method..omfg..
They are the same Jesus freaks teaching pulling out or rhythm method to our kids as birth control.

“Some of this is what I call a faith-based approach, and not science-based approach to regulation. They have faith that none of these things are going to cause any problems,” --Center for Food Safety Note: some of these things are going to cause problems.
Unchained

12 Jun 2019 22:46

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-cereals-cherrios-nature-valley-roundup-cancer-20190612-lbmnts7qmravrauzii4vhx55d4-story.html

https://nypost.com/video/watch-jon-stewarts-entire-testimony-for-9-11-first-responders-health-care-rights/

Both things about chemicals,and one guy from New York wo a science background trying to do everything he can to understand. He may end up being some kind of folk hero for his trying.
Unchained

14 Jun 2019 14:33

First two Donald Trump Jr questions:
What was your objective by misleading the inquiry with your fabrication about Russian adoptions during discovered meetings?

Because of a standard practice of past Presidents divesting in their private businesses before assuming the role, isn't it fair to the voters,tax payers and concerned citizens to see where their elected President derives his income? How much? Who from? And if appropriate taxes were paid on all income?
Jr..you don't seem to be keeping the office hours of a person running a major enterprise as you and your father spoke of before and as he took office?
Are you a quasi government employee?
Unchained

Yesterday 20:12

So dt is foreshadowing his intent to serve more than two terms (even though he hasn't even finished one yet). His reasoning is that his supporters might demand it. Beside the fact that most/all supporters would like to see their person continue to serve, he wasn't even elected by a majority of the voters this time, less than 40% of the country support him now, and there is that pesky constitution thing. I'm sure some billionaires would love to demand that he stay in to help them rake in more money, dirty industry would love to demand that he stay in to help them pollute and rake in more money. I'm sure that 20% of the people could demand that he serve longer, but even if that was constitutional, 20% isn't a majority.
jmdirt

Today 05:08

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/peace-plan-jason-greenblatt-israeli-elections/2019/06/16/id/920621/
The U.S. Middle East peace plan may be delayed until after Israel forms its government in November, President Donald Trump’s special envoy Jason Greenblatt told The Jerusalem Post’s Annual Conference on Sunday.

Greenblatt refused to disclose specific details of the plan, saying, “We hold something very delicate in our hands. If we keep a tight lid on it, we increase chances of success.”

BS - there's no f***in' peace plan. It's just a wish list from Bibi with some mindless waffle from Kushner.

Edit - just saw - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/17/minefields-and-ruins-israeli-settlement-called-trump-built-on-conquered-land
Minefields and ruins: Israeli settlement called Trump built on conquered land

‘It will mean something for him, that there is a place in the world, far away from the States, with his name’

I feel ill ...
"Imagine your loved ones conquered by Napoleon and forced to live under French rule. Do you want them to eat that rich food and those heavy sauces? Do you want them to have soufflé every meal and croissant?"
User avatar Robert5091

Previous

Return to General