Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

09 Nov 2012 12:49

:rolleyes:

:D

I'm at a loss, really...

Please listen/read, folks... Ah've a serious Proposition hereunder on how WE THE SOVEREIGN AMERICAN CITIZEN-TAXPAYERS can take back America from those dang marxists and their free-loading cabal of societally-parasitic electoral supporters...

Here goes:

Let's get Gov. Mitt Romney & Gov. Sarah Palin to lead an econopolitical crusade to gather all interested conservatives; persuade each to invest à minimum of $50 to fund the acquisition of nationwide-subscribed newspapers (ie: target the NYTimes, for example!), radio stations, TV stations (ie: target CNN!), failing high schools all over the US (to turn them into private low-tuition magnet-school systèms that have strong Boy-Scouting & ROTC programs, philosopolitical civics curricula, and open to churches-and-homeschooling interscholastic instructions), etc. These infrastructural foundations for conservatism are self-sustainable from the get-go and should be financially-and-sociopolitically-profitable in the long term. They nurture and acculturate young people from their formative years and onwards for the rest of their adult lives. And they attract America's bests by simply doing their profit-making business activities!

And starting with the Tea Party movement which informal total membership, in mah conservative estimation... must be around à million-strong, mah proposition has the critical mass for a big-time take-off. If a million-strong investors' group would invest an average of à $100 each, that $100-million investment fund could make say... a newly-acquired NYTimes sensational and profitable overnight with 1-million new subscribers that could offset even à ruinous 50% outright subscriber-cancellations from its present marxist clients.

With a grandiose opening-shot like that, the likes of CNN-targets won't be far-off with Gov. Mitt Romney's investment/managérial skills, plus Gov. Sarah Palin's PR-charisma, Ann Coulter's legal ****ings, Michelle Malkin's persuasive editorializings, PolitiChicks motivationals, Rissy Hamilton's opposition-researchings... Et cetera...

The principal characters of mah Proposition are in place, very likely ready, and above all - have abundantly-proven themselves highly-motivated-to-succeed and pretty skilled in their respective fields. Furthermore, these times are ripe to start this grandiose enterprise. And with the odiously-incompetent / pathological liar at the helm of shrinking-global US-leadership, the next 4 years promise huge harvests of newsworthy materials that the reading public here and aborda will snap up!

Therefore, friends, what are we waiting for! Mah personal $300-investment into this proposed-Romney-managed-$100M-AmericanConservatives-fund is getting hot and ready!
The LOTE has won, all hail the LOTE!
User avatar Amsterhammer

09 Nov 2012 13:11

That one really seems a joke, including Redneck spelling.
theyoungest

09 Nov 2012 13:21

theyoungest wrote:That one really seems a joke, including Redneck spelling.

...nah....Rednecks, contrary to popular opinion are smarter than that, that is definitely officially approved Tea-billy talk....

Cheers

blutto
blutto

09 Nov 2012 13:50

patricknd wrote:$12 a beer to pay for a sport catering to wealthy, aging, elitists to pretend they're still athletes? supporting that makes you part of the problem.....:D please tell me it wasn't bud light !!!!

Not Bud Light.:D

I think it was Longboard IPA. I walked up and ordered two beers... One for me an one for Mrs SoCal. The bartender says.. "That'll be twenty four dollars" and didn't bat an eye.:eek:
User avatar Scott SoCal

09 Nov 2012 13:59

Not done with my drink till I've crunched all the ice crew
User avatar Rip:30

09 Nov 2012 14:34

...which helps explain the low IQ levels found in areas that vote wrong wing ?....

Cheers

blutto
blutto

09 Nov 2012 15:55

Scott SoCal wrote:Not Bud Light.:D

I think it was Longboard IPA. I walked up and ordered two beers... One for me an one for Mrs SoCal. The bartender says.. "That'll be twenty four dollars" and didn't bat an eye.:eek:

i would have had to ask for my other four beers :D
User avatar patricknd

09 Nov 2012 16:27

Scott SoCal wrote:Not Bud Light.:D

TBF the beers were nearly 24oz. but yeah it was a little steep, that is why all the team tents had their own coolers. If you would have come by my tent I'd have bought you a beer or three.;)
"Science flies us to the moon. Religion flies us into buildings."

Gods don't kill people, people with Gods kill people.
User avatar Hugh Januss

09 Nov 2012 16:30

blutto wrote:Mitt Romney's Campaign Cancels Staffers Credit Cards In The Middle Of The Night (Forbes)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/helaineolen/2012/11/08/mitt-romneys-campaign-cancels-staffers-credit-cards-in-the-middle-of-the-night/

"The next time you have the misfortune of hearing a Wall Street titan or other one-percenter whine about how their trickle-down contributions are not appreciated by the masses remember this tidbit, courtesy of Garrett Haake at NBC:

"From the moment Mitt Romney stepped off stage Tuesday night, having just delivered a brief concession speech he wrote only that evening, the massive infrastructure surrounding his campaign quickly began to disassemble itself."

Aides taking cabs home late that night got rude awakenings when they found the credit cards linked to the campaign no longer worked.

No doubt a whole host of Boston taxi drivers found themselves stiffed when it came to tips early Wednesday morning. That’s what happens when the money trickles up, not down and it’s why healthy economies don’t depend on the trickle down whims of overlords. The minute Richie Rich decides he doesn’t need all that stuff staff … well, that’s that.

In case you are wondering, this did not have to happen. The Mitt Romney for President entity does not end with Romeny’s Tuesday night loss. There are papers to be filed with various federal commissions and bills to be paid …."

....so this is the kind of behaviour that the US would had to endure had RobMe been elected...looks like America dodged a bullet...

What a jerk.

Cheers

blutto
pfft they couldn't even do something as simple as add up polling numbers accurately and people (hey Scott) thought they were going to balance a multi-trillion dollar budget and reform the tax code? They were a **** show from the beginning to end.
User avatar VeloCity

09 Nov 2012 17:07

READ THIS!

Since the election is now over, and that is the general purpose of this thread, I'm trying to figure out when a good time to close this thread will be, and steer the conversation back into the General Politics thread.

I will consider slitting threads, but in a very limited capacity. While this is the Cafe, it's still a cycling forum and I honestly don't feel we need more than one politics thread. But if anyone can give me a good reason to have more tham one political thread, and define what those threads would be, im open to hear it. All feedback is welcome.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez

09 Nov 2012 17:21

VeloCity wrote:pfft they couldn't even do something as simple as add up polling numbers accurately and people (hey Scott) thought they were going to balance a multi-trillion dollar budget and reform the tax code? They were a **** show from the beginning to end.

Part of the reason I came back here was to get my **** whuppin'. When I left I was pretty convinced Romney would win... basically by about a couple of percentage points and 300+ EV. I had it wrong and so did the Romney bunch.

Romney was never my first choice but then they never asked me.

So bang away. I can handle it.

Can we all agree that the current administration now owns this economy?

So Velo, what's your take on the announcement from Boeing on Wednesday? Also, what's your take on Welch Allyn, Stryker, Boston Scientific, Cook Medical and others announcing mass lay-offs and fundamental changes to business operations due to the new medical device taxes that the "Affordable" Healthcare act is imposing?

Is it all chalked up to normal responses to a changing business environment?

Alan Zafran;

Now take the U.S. government, which has collected $2.4 trillion in revenues in the last year while spending $3.4 trillion. Moreover, the U.S. government has generated a $1 trillion loss for four consecutive years. Meanwhile, the country's debt load is up to $16 trillion and counting. If you were a banker, would you lend the U.S. government any money? For that matter, if the U.S. government were a corporation and you were its owner, for how long would you keep its executives (i.e. Democratic and Republican Congressmen) employed? CEOs recognize an unsustainable ecosystem when they see one. They also distrust the band of undisciplined politicians who will continue to set the tax and regulatory rules under which they must operate.

In short, U.S. CEO confidence is materially linked to our nation’s financial sustainability. Waning CEO confidence adds pressure to the politicians who realize that lenders to the U.S. government have just about lost their patience

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49599096/Zafran_US_CEO_Confidence_Stuck_in_a_Rut
User avatar Scott SoCal

09 Nov 2012 17:21

Alpe d'Huez wrote:READ THIS!

Since the election is now over, and that is the general purpose of this thread, I'm trying to figure out when a good time to close this thread will be, and steer the conversation back into the General Politics thread.

I will consider slitting threads, but in a very limited capacity. While this is the Cafe, it's still a cycling forum and I honestly don't feel we need more than one politics thread. But if anyone can give me a good reason to have more tham one political thread, and define what those threads would be, im open to hear it. All feedback is welcome.

Not done with my drink till I've crunched all the ice crew
User avatar Rip:30

09 Nov 2012 17:23

But the polling for 2016 has already begun!

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/11/clinton-christie-2016-new-hampshire.php?ref=fpb

;)
User avatar VeloCity

09 Nov 2012 17:24

Hey Alpe,

Maybe a US politics thread? Just change the name of this one... The conversation in GP thread has gravitated largely away from "just" what's going on in the US. Seems like those folks get covered up with most of the US talk.

My $0.02.
User avatar Scott SoCal

09 Nov 2012 17:30

Scott SoCal wrote:Hey Alpe,

Maybe a US politics thread? Just change the name of this one... The conversation in GP thread has gravitated largely away from "just" what's going on in the US. Seems like those folks get covered up with most of the US talk.

My $0.02.

I a-a-a-a-agree with Scott. What did I just say? That can't be right this is a politics thread.:D
"Science flies us to the moon. Religion flies us into buildings."

Gods don't kill people, people with Gods kill people.
User avatar Hugh Januss

09 Nov 2012 17:31

Hey man the election is not over. This was voter fraud by the Obama campaign. I'm waiting for the recount. Until then you can't close this thread! .........

Please close it. Everyone has an opinion and it is clear that President Obama has done nothing so lets move on to another 4 years without progress and unemployment above 8 %.

:D
something less offensive
User avatar Glenn_Wilson

09 Nov 2012 17:31

Hugh Januss wrote:I a-a-a-a-agree with Scott. What did I just say? That can't be right this is a politics thread.:D

I've got a rectal thermometer if you need to check for fever:eek:
User avatar Scott SoCal

09 Nov 2012 17:41

I could turn this thread into a US politics and the General into a "Global Politics". But I don't know that's a compelling point. This is essentially a global forum, and over the last year topics have spilled over between both threads anyway.

Any other ideas?
User avatar Alpe d'Huez

09 Nov 2012 17:45

Alpe d'Huez wrote:I could turn this thread into a US politics and the General into a "Global Politics". But I don't know that's a compelling point. This is essentially a global forum, and over the last year topics have spilled over between both threads anyway.

Any other ideas?

Before the election thread was created it was very rare for anything other than US politics to be discussed.

One thread = a US Politics thread.
User avatar Scott SoCal

09 Nov 2012 17:51

Scott SoCal wrote:Part of the reason I came back here was to get my **** whuppin'. When I left I was pretty convinced Romney would win... basically by about a couple of percentage points and 300+ EV. I had it wrong and so did the Romney bunch.

Romney was never my first choice but then they never asked me.

So bang away. I can handle it.

Can we all agree that the current administration now owns this economy?

So Velo, what's your take on the announcement from Boeing on Wednesday? Also, what's your take on Welch Allyn, Stryker, Boston Scientific, Cook Medical and others announcing mass lay-offs and fundamental changes to business operations due to the new medical device taxes that the "Affordable" Healthcare act is imposing?

Is it all chalked up to normal responses to a changing business environment?

Alan Zafran;

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49599096/Zafran_US_CEO_Confidence_Stuck_in_a_Rut
This Welch Allyn?

Over the next three years, the company plans to establish three new product development and technology centers in Skaneateles Falls, Beaverton, Ore., and Singapore. It also intends to create a global finance shared service center in Tijuana, Mexico, and consolidate its North American manufacturing and related support functions at its largest facilities in Skaneateles Falls and Tijuana, Mexico.
They're restructuring, Scott. 45 layoffs. Sounds like they're doing pretty good.

This Boston Scientific?

Boston Scientific Corporation is acquiring BridgePoint Medical Inc., a privately held company based in Minneapolis, Minn.
Hmm. Does sound as though they're going under and apparently they've decided to take BridgePoint down with them.

This Cook Medical?

Cook Medical has opened a new medical device manufacturing plant in Canton, Ill...Cook intends to work toward employing at least 350 people.
So I guess they've decided to layoff billions and billions of workers to afford to build this new manufacturing plant just before they go under.

http://www.mpo-mag.com/articles/2012/10/top-of-the-news. You should probably read the whole thing. Sounds like they're all doing quite well.

You should also read this:
http://keller.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/18/more-myths-of-obamacare/

Two other reasons the arguments that Obamacare is a job-killer don’t add up:

1. Although small-business lobbies tend not to mention it, businesses with fewer than 25 employees that already offer health insurance will be eligible for new tax credits; that will free up money for investment.

2. The increased access to health care will create new jobs in the health care industry itself. As Harvard health economist Katherine Baicker has cautioned, expanding the health care sector should not be a goal of reform; it’s more important to get the existing system working more efficiently. But providing access to systematic primary care for 30 million newcomers is bound to create new demand, not just for doctors and nurses but (as Jonathan Gruber of MIT has written) for assistants and technicians and support staff – “precisely the sort of medium-skill jobs that our economy desperately needs.”

For these and other reasons, most economists who have studied the likely impact on employment say it will be quite small.

But let me guess: you got all that from an article like this one, right?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2012/nov/8/picket-companies-plan-massive-layoffs-obamacare-be/

Uh. Huh.

Oh and this Alan Zafran?

https://www.luminouscap.com/default.asp?P=826460

Alan has served as a financial adviser to wealthy families and institutional investors for the past 22 years.

Shocking that he thinks the ACA will be bad for business. Just shocking.
User avatar VeloCity

PreviousNext

Return to General