Register

He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

Storm
17%
Snow Storm
14%
Desert Storm
10%
Tornado
19%
Nuclear Holocoust
40%

Total votes : 247

31 Jan 2015 19:05

Netserk wrote:Huh? How was he more competitive in every race he entered last year than Contador was?

Perhaps what he meant to say was that AV enters more races with diversity in terrains and does well in all?...
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believes - Rom 1:16"

31 Jan 2015 19:23

Jspear wrote:Perhaps what he meant to say was that AV enters more races with diversity in terrains and does well in all?...

Exactly. And this year's route in WC are hard enough in last kilometers to split the field. He won't be as big favorite as he was in last two editions but still has a chance.
User avatar Wallenquist

31 Jan 2015 19:48

Jspear wrote:Perhaps what he meant to say was that AV enters more races with diversity in terrains and does well in all?...

He does well in a lot of hilly classics and stage races. Didn't do much in Dubai nor the Flemish classics he raced last year.

Competitive in every single race he does (as the only rider) my as.s
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

31 Jan 2015 20:02

Netserk wrote:He does well in a lot of hilly classics and stage races. Didn't do much in Dubai nor the Flemish classics he raced last year.

He did fine in Dwars door Vlaanderen and that was his first cobble race ever.
Coat-O

31 Jan 2015 20:02

Netserk wrote:He does well in a lot of hilly classics and stage races. Didn't do much in Dubai nor the Flemish classics he raced last year.

I was simply pointing out what Wallenquist meant. I don't necessarily agree. There are some races AV participates in that he doesn't really excel in, but he is still one of the most diverse riders in this era.
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believes - Rom 1:16"

31 Jan 2015 20:13

Coat-O wrote:He did fine in Dwars door Vlaanderen and that was his first cobble race ever.

No he didn't. He was in third or second position on a climb far from the finish, and when things started to happen, he was nowhere.
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

31 Jan 2015 22:38

Netserk wrote:About half as much as 2nd places...

Even when he wins impressively in an uncharacteristic manner we get the negative posts. You're a bit of a nit-picker. I would like to know how many riders get more victories than podiums or non placements over the course of a season.
Valverde gets a bad rap here from many on cn. I think that the b.s. about him being just as happy with 2nd and/or 3rd as an actual victory is ludicrous. The hate gets tiresome.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

31 Jan 2015 22:40

Valverde would be super awesome if he could be brainwashed into thinking WT races, monuments and GT's were 2.1 races or lower
Let us remember what happened on March 16th, 2014

The Hitch wrote:Red Rick. Road Race forum MVP 2014.

The Hitch wrote:#RedRick4RCSRaceDirector.
Red Rick

01 Feb 2015 00:15

Netserk wrote:No he didn't. He was in third or second position on a climb far from the finish, and when things started to happen, he was nowhere.

I recall he was part of small chase group with quality seasoned classic vets that got fairly close to reeling in Terpstra and ultimately finished with same time as the rest of the peloton after Terpstra's solo win. Had he not expended energy in the chase group he likely would've been in the mix for the pack sprint. Good job for his first cobbled semi-classic. Being active and playing a positive part in how the race unfolded rather than just sitting in should be lauded IMO.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

01 Feb 2015 12:50

Red Rick wrote:Valverde would be super awesome if he could be brainwashed into thinking WT races, monuments and GT's were 2.1 races or lower
Yeah if he could only believe he can do it against the big boys...
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

07 Mar 2015 18:18

Very good ride today, legs failed in the finale, but overall very good and aggressive race. Looks promising for the Ardennes
User avatar bala v

07 Mar 2015 18:22

Maybe his quality just makes me expect too much, but so far this season he's looking like he's slightly worse, as you'd expect at this age
User avatar GuyIncognito

07 Mar 2015 18:23

GuyIncognito wrote:Maybe his quality just makes me expect too much, but so far this season he's looking like he's slightly worse, as you'd expect at this age

The Challenge Mallorca win was a dominant performance, though.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:contador is such a coward :o
User avatar Hugo Koblet

07 Mar 2015 18:43

Hugo Koblet wrote:The Challenge Mallorca win was a dominant performance, though.

That was the Challenge Mallorca.

I think he will be highly regular again all season, with the difference he won't win a classic this year.
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

~ Mark Twain
User avatar Arredondo

07 Mar 2015 19:40

too skinny in such an uphill sprint on cobbles. no chance whatsoever
overall still superb performance of course, i liked the way he rode
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks

07 Mar 2015 22:28

GuyIncognito wrote:Maybe his quality just makes me expect too much, but so far this season he's looking like he's slightly worse, as you'd expect at this age

I thought, during the race, that if wins, he'd have to be better than last year, as he really did a lot of work today. All that work was likely to secure the podium, while having a chance at the victory. It didn't work out, but same old Valverde. He should be strong for the Ardennes again.
phanatic

07 Mar 2015 23:02

jens_attacks wrote:too skinny in such an uphill sprint on cobbles. no chance whatsoever
overall still superb performance of course, i liked the way he rode

Plus he positioned himself on the front for the climb up to the finish, and its an unwritten rule that you cant attack off the front.
User avatar lemon cheese cake

08 Mar 2015 00:03

Valverde is looking his age now more suited to longer climbs and not so much the multiple efforts needed today
http://sbbcolumns.co.uk/giro-stage-16-cycling-preview/ My Stage 16 go to guys here

http://sbbcolumns.co.uk/giro-ditalia-2015-fight-for-pink-blog/ Giro D'Italia 2015 hit up the blog new blogs each day
User avatar manafana

08 Mar 2015 00:19

I think he rode superbly and it just shows his consistency and general ability to ride so many races, across different terrains and still compete for the win.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge

08 Mar 2015 07:58

[url=http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/valverde-runs-out-of-steam-in-strade-bianche-finale"]http://http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/valverde-runs-out-of-steam-in-strade-bianche-finale[/url]

Nice words from Valverde about his opponents, but also a very realistic view on the race.
He rode aggressive to entertain us and well you sure did bala.

Hope we will see more of this style from you.
User avatar Kwibus

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing