Register

The real Tennis thread.

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

13 Jan 2019 15:21

movingtarget
Veteran

14 Jan 2019 12:25

Murray out in 5. He battled all the way to the end.

I couldn't ask for anything more
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

15 Jan 2019 00:15

Red Rick wrote:Murray out in 5. He battled all the way to the end.

I couldn't ask for anything more

Nice reaction from the crowd.........
movingtarget
Veteran

15 Jan 2019 10:58

I've seen Nadal yesterday, not bad considering what was said about his fitness in recent weeks and especially after forfeiting Brisbane but on hard everytime can happen something to him.
Nirvana

18 Jan 2019 16:12

Not much happened yet honestly. Big 3 keep winning easily, and they'll probably all semi. I don't expect any young player to put them in trouble.

Was nice to see Nadal demolish De Minaur. Would be nice if Fed did the same with Tsitsipas cause I have a hard time believing how overrated he gets.

Also, Khachanov, #11 in the world and winner of the last M1000 last year, out in straights vs Bautista Agut, the dude who was pushed to 5 by Murray who was running on approximately 1.2 legs. Latest rumors are that Murray is opting for surgery now, then rehab and who knows if we ever see him back. Bob Bryan, who had the same surgery, seems to think he can do it.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

20 Jan 2019 05:29

Barty beat Maria Screamer..........oh happy days......
movingtarget
Veteran

20 Jan 2019 12:05

Tsitsipas beats Federer, who goes 0/12 on bps. 7-6 6-7 7-5 7-6.

Pretty crazy that the 20 year old can only win because the 37 year old wasts every chance.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

20 Jan 2019 14:43

Federer was really bad today, he had what I call "the old man day", but I've seen a great Nadal.

Anyway the real news is that after losing he said to French press he'll play the RG after three years confirming a return to the clay already rumored in December when was reported a possible presence in Barcelona and Rome.
I wonder what changes of schedule he'll have, I've already seen he swapped Rotterdam with Dubai in February, probably he'll skip Miami and Stuttgart. I find strange if he won't go to Madrid that is the faster clay tournament in Europe given the altitude and usually dry air that increase the speed.
Nirvana

20 Jan 2019 16:24

I guess he thinks that a little more consistent match play will help his chances for Wimbledon.

His entire baseline game and return game is in shambles. The last few years that he played clay his return stats were already lower than on HC, which is a very rare thing, so the adaptation he made to stay relevant as he gets slower translates terribly to clay.

Federer is super serve dependent nowadays. His hold game is still great, but he just can't break serve when his forehand is misfiring.

I don't expect Federer to do well on clay, especially as he's entering some of the tougher tournaments. He'll barely gain points there, and frankly I would be very surprised if he qualifies for the WTF this year.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

20 Jan 2019 23:41

Red Rick wrote:I guess he thinks that a little more consistent match play will help his chances for Wimbledon.

His entire baseline game and return game is in shambles. The last few years that he played clay his return stats were already lower than on HC, which is a very rare thing, so the adaptation he made to stay relevant as he gets slower translates terribly to clay.

Federer is super serve dependent nowadays. His hold game is still great, but he just can't break serve when his forehand is misfiring.

I don't expect Federer to do well on clay, especially as he's entering some of the tougher tournaments. He'll barely gain points there, and frankly I would be very surprised if he qualifies for the WTF this year.

Old bones and clay are not a good mix especially when he gets into some long matches. I doubt he makes it to the semis. Still better off with the lighter prep I think with the grass court matches before Wimbledon. It's worked for him so far and extended his career.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re: Re:

21 Jan 2019 13:24

movingtarget wrote:
Red Rick wrote:I guess he thinks that a little more consistent match play will help his chances for Wimbledon.

Old bones and clay are not a good mix especially when he gets into some long matches. I doubt he makes it to the semis. Still better off with the lighter prep I think with the grass court matches before Wimbledon. It's worked for him so far and extended his career.

I'd be surprised if he made the 4th round at RG to be honest.

Zverev with another catastrophical performance at a Grand Slam. I'm not sure that meme will ever die.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

21 Jan 2019 13:59

For some silly reason I have a nationalistic bias, but I cant help but see Milos Raonic has stepped up his game. He no longer back pedals to the edge of the court just to hit a forehand. His back hand is weak, but he at least has learned not to let opponents back him into a corner to create an open court. I think Milos has a real chance to finally win a major.
User avatar the delgados

21 Jan 2019 14:51

Red Rick wrote:
movingtarget wrote:

Zverev with another catastrophical performance at a Grand Slam. I'm not sure that meme will ever die.

The racquet smashing was impressive...........
movingtarget
Veteran

21 Jan 2019 17:05

movingtarget wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
movingtarget wrote:

The racquet smashing was impressive...........

I'm sorry, but if there's one thing I'm a bigger elitist at than at route design, it's racket breaking.

Zverev always makes the same damn mistakes, like just hitting the ground, rather than throwing the racket. Also, you can't even do a half decent break while seated.

Zverev just tries to make up for not being able to break it in one go with looking whiny.

Here's an example of how it's supposed to go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQPLB2JM16k
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

21 Jan 2019 19:05

I remember Youzhny using his own head to try and break his racket. Maybe Zverev should give that a go.
kingjr

Re:

21 Jan 2019 20:53

kingjr wrote:I remember Youzhny using his own head to try and break his racket. Maybe Zverev should give that a go.

:D I don't think that's a great idea

Meanwhile, countless pundits calling Tsitsipas beating Federer a 'changing of the guard'

I'm fully expecting a Djokovic/Nadal final, with 'changing of the guard' actually meaning 'damn Fed got old'.

Djokovic didn't really convince me today. Nadal is the favorite for me for the Aussie Open. That would have Fed fans shitting their pants :D
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

Yesterday 16:34

From the rules I've seen, it shouldn't happen, but it's a stupidass loophole in the rule.

It was a terrible call, and we've seen a few of them.

Nishikori had the point won 100%, and yet due to the call one of them has to get screwed.

Great fight from Nishikori though. True warrior. And as a reward he gets what is probably a demolition job at the hands of Djokovic.

Tsitsipas wins yet another tight 4 setter, his 5th in a row. He really doesn't impress me that much, his hold game is solid, but he doesn't break nearly enough to win easier and preserve energy and all that.

Nadal through very easy again. Hasn't been broken since the first round and should normally completely destroy Tsitsipas. Tsitsipas is Nadal's dream opponent. Weak single hander, which Rafa can pick apart for hours and hours, and if Tsitsipas starts camping in his backhand corner a little too much, then Rafa has the forehand down the line which is his most important shot and which has been firing all tournament.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Yesterday 22:17

Kvitova ends Barty's best Open result ever. Nishikori has to be a tired man. Nadal and Djokovic seem to have it in hand at the moment.
movingtarget
Veteran

Previous

Return to General