Register

The real Tennis thread.

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

04 Mar 2019 19:53

Week of servebotting and getting hot. Won 50% of points for the tournament, DR of 0.97. Statistical anomaly
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

I came, I saw, I complained about a route design.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

06 Mar 2019 19:38

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/47466258

Murray says he's pain free. Seems really optimistic. Great to see him doing better.
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

07 Mar 2019 11:39

Red Rick wrote:https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/47466258

Murray says he's pain free. Seems really optimistic. Great to see him doing better.

Great news, hopefully he can start to rebuild and can still play this season.
User avatar Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

08 Mar 2019 13:09

Pricey_sky wrote:
Red Rick wrote:https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/47466258

Great news, hopefully he can start to rebuild and can still play this season.

Naturally media are hoping for the grass season but that probably shouldn't happen. Mike Bryan had the same surgery last year and he's playing again, but then playing doubles is a looooot less straining than singles is.

Anyway, Murray's one legged performance in Australia gives me hope he can get back to a decent level even with impaired movement. The quality ball striking doesn't really go away. Especially considering the hip pain probably also affected his shots, cause that forehand was an absolute puff ball by the end.
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

16 Mar 2019 11:22

Federer/Nadal semi in IW, and Nadal isn't even sure to play cause he was carrying injury in his win over Khachanov.

Djokovic/Fognini lost in doubles. Saddest thing in tennis since Murray's AO match.
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

16 Mar 2019 16:07

I know she's only 16, but I'm starting to think Clara Tauson is taking over Wozniacki's role as Denmark's tennis-darling.
Good thing Wozniacki managed to get a Grand Slam win before getting hit by arthritis…
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

16 Mar 2019 18:18

Nadal withdraws from IW.

Sigh.
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

17 Mar 2019 07:10

Nadal should avoid hard courts as much as possible, lately was a carnage for him.

(image courtesy of Ubitennis.com)

Here isn't reported but already at the end of 2017 wasn't better, i remember him forfaiting Basilea and then going to Bercy only to score the points needed to secure number one before calling an end to his season.

Let's hope he stopped in time to be in decent form from Montecarlo otherwise he's going to sink in the ranking.
Nirvana

17 Mar 2019 10:49

Nadal doesn't even need decent form to keep the #2nd spot in the world. Nobody but Djokovic can beat him on clay.

Nadal was injured, and #nextgen genius Khachanov couldn't take a set off him on HC. It's hilarious how terrible the young generation is.
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

18 Mar 2019 01:57

Red Rick wrote:Nadal doesn't even need decent form to keep the #2nd spot in the world. Nobody but Djokovic can beat him on clay.

Nadal was injured, and #nextgen genius Khachanov couldn't take a set off him on HC. It's hilarious how terrible the young generation is.

Thiem reaches tennis adulthood. No young player anymore.

Thiem d. Federer 3-6 6-3 7-5. Some fantastic tennis by Thiem at the end there.
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

18 Mar 2019 23:36

Red Rick wrote:Nadal doesn't even need decent form to keep the #2nd spot in the world. Nobody but Djokovic can beat him on clay.

On clay you can't play with one leg and Nadal needs his physical dominance to play his way.

Anyway I think that at least Thiem, Zverev and Wawrinka can beat everyone on clay.
Nirvana

Re: Re:

Yesterday 11:59

Nirvana wrote:

On clay you can't play with one leg and Nadal needs his physical dominance to play his way.

Anyway I think that at least Thiem, Zverev and Wawrinka can beat everyone on clay.

Big no to Wawrinka. He's gotten too slow to do anything special on clay. Zverev doesn't have any match with Djokovic/Nadal on his racket imo.

Thiem has done decent vs top opponents on Euro clay though. I'd give him a shot at RG.
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Previous

Return to General