Register

The real Tennis thread.

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

07 Jul 2019 07:26

Sociopathic attitudes is a huge stretch. He just says dumb **** when angry. Especially yesterday he was talking to himself.

He also got fined like $100,000 for that USO outburst while a kid like Shapovalov literally hit an umpire into a hospital and only got a $7,000 fine.

Anyway he already apologised and I don't think much will come from it. Probably a small fine and that would be that
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

07 Jul 2019 07:52

Saying that a female umpire should be sexually abused is way but way worse than hitting one (probably unintentionally) with a ball thrown away, Fognini has serious issues whereas Shapovalov was only incautious.

Anyway i find hard to call "talking with himself" when someone goes to the italian journalists and says repeatedly what he said yesterday instead of talking about his match, and apologizing after being forced to do so doesn't change anything, it's only fake PR, something we've seen also in cycling with Moscon.
Nirvana

Re:

07 Jul 2019 08:11

Nirvana wrote:Saying that a female umpire should be sexually abused is way but way worse than hitting one (probably unintentionally) with a ball thrown away, Fognini has serious issues whereas Shapovalov was only incautious.

Anyway i find hard to call "talking with himself" when someone goes to the italian journalists and says repeatedly what he said yesterday instead of talking about his match, and apologizing after being forced to do so doesn't change anything, it's only fake PR, something we've seen also in cycling with Moscon.

AFAIK he just called her a whore.

And I disagree that verbal insults are anywhere near as severe as doing something physically dangerous
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

07 Jul 2019 09:38

For me the difference is being intentional or not, if you throw the ball away and by chance you hit someone it's a fortuity and is a way less severe action than verbally abusing someone in a sexist o racist way.
Nirvana

09 Jul 2019 08:45

This guy makes even Kyrgios seem tame...............surprised that Barty went out, makes Serena Williams task a bit easier.
movingtarget
Veteran

09 Jul 2019 10:12

So Fognini got fined 3,000. Kyrgios got fined 8,000 for unsportsmanlike conduct, Serena got fined 10,000 for damaging a practice court.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

10 Jul 2019 17:29

100 victories in Wimbledon for Federer.

Jaw-dropping longevity no matter what Red Rick is going to say about a weak next generation.
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

10 Jul 2019 19:38

4 never in doubt QFs. Kinda sad when that happens. And it's happened a lot lately.

At least Nishikori consistently makes it to a Big 3 opponent. Pella's run was fun to watch. But it's kinda been a waiting game for the semis. Wish Murray was there.

By the way I don't think I ever denied the quality of the Big 3. If you look at the rest of the dudes in their age range they've all fallen off to some degree.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

10 Jul 2019 23:41

tobydawq wrote:100 victories in Wimbledon for Federer.

Jaw-dropping longevity no matter what Red Rick is going to say about a weak next generation.

Definitely impressive, to say the least, but you certainly can't fault Red Rick, or anyone else, for criticizing the 'next generation.' The youngest player in the QF was Goffin, who'll be 29 in December. Then it's Pella who turned 29 in May, then Nishikori who'll turn 30 in December. Then it's Bautista-Agut who turned 31 in April, then Querrey who turns 32 in the Fall and we all know about the big three: Nadal 33, Djokovic 32 and Federer who'll be 38 next month. Where's the next generation? It's not like they are getting to the latter stages of slams and losing out only to the top dogs, they are losing early to men much lower ranked, sometimes even journeymen. It's a pity to see guys like Berdych (mostly due to injuries now), Tsonga, Verdasco, falling off the map. Ok, all three them have dealt with injuries at some stage, Verdasco issues are seemingly more with the head, but I'd much rather see players like that challenging, because they've given the top 3 issues in the past, and they are all over 30 as well. They've played the top 3 many times. Cilic seems to have shut off this year, he's done nothing, no titles and no deep runs anywhere. I think if this continues for much longer he may not stick around. Del Potro just has no luck with all the injuries he's had and Murray is another big question mark. Wawrinka came back from injuries as well but his 'peak years' was probably from Australia 2013 where he almost beat Djokovic to Roland Garros 2017 where he made the final against Nadal. He did what he could with his 'late blooming.' So we see where we are at. Tennis is still run by players in their late 20's to late 30's (Federer). There's a batch of players that are under 25 that can do something, but they just aren't good enough. The media is trying to hype them up as much as they can.
BullsFan22

Re:

11 Jul 2019 07:39

tobydawq wrote:100 victories in Wimbledon for Federer.

He has still to play at least an half decade to go close to Rosewall longevity.
Nirvana

12 Jul 2019 18:54

Federer beats Nadal 3:1. Jesus, those were some fun last 20 minutes.
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

12 Jul 2019 19:10

Fed with perhaps the best match I've seen from him this year. Nadal... not so much.

Deserved winner.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

12 Jul 2019 20:06

Like I said after Roland Garros nowadays Federer has the physical edge over Nadal, probably (I say probably because we don't know what could have happened without the sandstorm that affected the match in Paris) still isn't enough for clay but on fast surfaces is Federer that he has to loose, today Nadal lasted two sets, in the third he started to make errors after errors, especially long rallies almost always ended with him throwing the ball in the net or outside the pitch, only in the end he tried desperately to fight a bit but was like a wounded beast whereas Federer still looked like he was just come out on the pitch.
Anyway is incredible how they have declined since their prime, this morning Sky aired the 2008 final and compared to that today looked like a slow motion, the level is really low if they still dominate the scene.

On other news Nadal was already qualified for the finals after the QF win and if Federer will win the tournament he'll maintain the first place in the race with a 300 points lead.
Nirvana

Re:

12 Jul 2019 20:16

Nirvana wrote:Like I said after Roland Garros nowadays Federer has the physical edge over Nadal, probably (I say probably because we don't know what could have happened without the sandstorm that affected the match in Paris) still isn't enough for clay but on fast surfaces is Federer that he has to loose, today Nadal lasted two sets, in the third he started to make errors after errors, especially long rallies almost always ended with him throwing the ball in the net or outside the pitch, only in the end he tried desperately to fight a bit but was like a wounded beast whereas Federer still looked like he was just come out on the pitch.
Anyway is incredible how they have declined since their prime, this morning Sky aired the 2008 final and compared to that today looked like a slow motion, the level is really low if they still dominate the scene.

On other news Nadal was already qualified for the finals after the QF win and if Federer will win the tournament he'll maintain the first place in the race with a 300 points lead.

I was at times just baffled by what kind of balls they weren't even running for.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

12 Jul 2019 21:39

Haven't watched the second semi, but the result surprised me a bit.
More straightforward match than I thought it would be.

Will be a tricky weekend for fans with Wimbledon finals and the Tour at the same time.
User avatar sir fly
Veteran

Re:

12 Jul 2019 22:32

sir fly wrote:
Will be a tricky weekend for fans with Wimbledon finals and the Tour at the same time.

Just the two? Feel for those of us who watch cricket and F1 as well. It’s a mega weekend and the remote, iPad and phone are going to be working hard :lol:
User avatar Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

12 Jul 2019 22:42

Pricey_sky wrote:
sir fly wrote:

Just the two? Feel for those of us who watch cricket and F1 as well. It’s a mega weekend and the remote, iPad and phone are going to be working hard :lol:

I've totally forgotten about cricket and F1.
Huge weekend for the Islanders, obviously.
User avatar sir fly
Veteran

12 Jul 2019 23:32

Lucky I'm at work so I can watch tennis on that tv and the stage on my phone.
User avatar SHAD0W93

13 Jul 2019 14:05

Looks like Serena's struggling more than Halep's having a great day.
Nothing to be taken away from the Romanian, though.

Congratulations.
User avatar sir fly
Veteran

13 Jul 2019 14:11

So glad Halep won
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

PreviousNext

Return to General