Register

The real Tennis thread.

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

13 Jul 2019 14:19

Remember the outrage at Tomic "tanking"?

That match took longer than the women's final.

Delighted Halepeño won.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

13 Jul 2019 14:50

Very happy that Halep won.
I think it's the sign of a clean rider and a real sportsman to be attracted to the bigger challenge over the ultimate result. Good luck with the Giro/Tour double, Chris Froome. -Phil Gaimon
Forever The Best

13 Jul 2019 15:40

I hope Halep can be more consistent throughout a season. I always think she's currently the real number one in this far-from-amazing period of women's tennis, but for that she's achieved so little.
User avatar gunara

Re:

13 Jul 2019 15:47

gunara wrote:I hope Halep can be more consistent throughout a season. I always think she's currently the real number one in this far-from-amazing period of women's tennis, but for that she's achieved so little.

Had plenty of #1s without Slam titles recently, so she's not that bad.

Find her kinda similar to Lleyton Hewitt.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

13 Jul 2019 16:53

Yeah, Hewitt is quite good comparison.
But to think she is only one slam better than Barty and Ostapenko.... She also need to shake off the habit of being knocked out early in tournaments, she's no Myskina or Safina to do that
User avatar gunara

13 Jul 2019 16:59

Stunning result for Halep. Margaret Court's record still safe.
movingtarget
Veteran

13 Jul 2019 17:57

Just watched the highlights, Halep’s performance was insanely good.
User avatar Pricey_sky

Re: The real Tennis thread.

13 Jul 2019 20:37

Halep played really well. She played like Djokovic, hardly missing (literally had only 3 Unforced Errors), returned everything, forced Williams to hit the extra shots and played aggressive when she had the opportunity. Mental toughness in these big matches, GS finals has been a question mark for Halep, but now winning her second slam it should relax her and hopefully she continues to play well and win more.
BullsFan22

14 Jul 2019 02:00

BullsFan22 wrote:Halep played really well. She played like Djokovic, hardly missing (literally had only 3 Unforced Errors), returned everything, forced Williams to hit the extra shots and played aggressive when she had the opportunity. Mental toughness in these big matches, GS finals has been a question mark for Halep, but now winning her second slam it should relax her and hopefully she continues to play well and win more.

Yep she played her absolute best tennis. In particular her backhand was incredible, turning defence into attack.

As another poster said, I think she is the number one player in the world, but she's had some injuries. I think she has made 4 out of the last 10 GS finals, and won 2, which is a pretty good record. A bit weird that her two Slams have been on clay and grass though, just like Garbine.
User avatar gregrowlerson

14 Jul 2019 16:02

What a weird match we're watching.
User avatar tobydawq

14 Jul 2019 18:09

:cry:
User avatar tobydawq

14 Jul 2019 18:13

And you go home and you cry and you want to die
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest

14 Jul 2019 18:15

A final for the record books.
So many points that could've turned the match to one side or another, but those two are too big players to be beaten by one ball.

Federer won two-thirds of a set more in the games, but Đoković ruled in the tiebreaks
Congrats.
Last edited by sir fly on 14 Jul 2019 19:54, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar sir fly
Veteran

14 Jul 2019 18:47

Don't remember being this tense about a tennis match, apart maybe from the final 10 years ago.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

14 Jul 2019 18:51

I find Federer much more charismatic and likeable. Djokovic will always get less fan support when playing Federer. It was evident back in the days of the US Open matches when they met every year from 2007 to 2011, and again in 2015, and it's been evident at Wimbledon as well, from 2012, 2014, 2015 and again in this final. Far more support for Federer. Djokovic with his impersonations of other players and his playfulness early on in his career was funny and liked by the fans, but over the years his demeanor and his parents attitude on and off the court turned people off. He's kind of mellowed out in recent years, but now it's the robotic nature of his game that's turning people off. I am not afraid to say it but despite being from Belgrade, I am not a Djokovic fan. I would love to be a big Djokovic fan, being from the same city, but he and his teams attitude over the years has me turned the other way, still.
BullsFan22

14 Jul 2019 19:22

BullsFan22 wrote:I find Federer much more charismatic and likeable. Djokovic will always get less fan support when playing Federer. It was evident back in the days of the US Open matches when they met every year from 2007 to 2011, and again in 2015, and it's been evident at Wimbledon as well, from 2012, 2014, 2015 and again in this final. Far more support for Federer. Djokovic with his impersonations of other players and his playfulness early on in his career was funny and liked by the fans, but over the years his demeanor and his parents attitude on and off the court turned people off. He's kind of mellowed out in recent years, but now it's the robotic nature of his game that's turning people off. I am not afraid to say it but despite being from Belgrade, I am not a Djokovic fan. I would love to be a big Djokovic fan, being from the same city, but he and his teams attitude over the years has me turned the other way, still.

Djokovic settled down a long time ago imo. He came onto the scene when Fedal was already the super hyped rivalry and everyone had already picked their side in that matchup. Both were sponsored by Nike at the time, so they marketed the absolute crap out of that.

Djokovic was kind of the third wheel who didn't fit in. Add in a game style that's just harder to appreciate for casual fans and you get a big difference quickly. By the time he calmed down a bit the damage was done. At that point I think he could've acted more like a rebel or even villain but that was never his style either.

That being said, with the Big 3 I think the tennis fandom has taken a big turn for the worse imo. I feel tournaments now matter less at face value cause everything is somehow about a record chase between the Big 3, and over the years I think that Nadal and especially Djokovic haven't gotten the respect they deserve.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

14 Jul 2019 19:52

Red Rick wrote:
BullsFan22 wrote:I find Federer much more charismatic and likeable. Djokovic will always get less fan support when playing Federer. It was evident back in the days of the US Open matches when they met every year from 2007 to 2011, and again in 2015, and it's been evident at Wimbledon as well, from 2012, 2014, 2015 and again in this final. Far more support for Federer. Djokovic with his impersonations of other players and his playfulness early on in his career was funny and liked by the fans, but over the years his demeanor and his parents attitude on and off the court turned people off. He's kind of mellowed out in recent years, but now it's the robotic nature of his game that's turning people off. I am not afraid to say it but despite being from Belgrade, I am not a Djokovic fan. I would love to be a big Djokovic fan, being from the same city, but he and his teams attitude over the years has me turned the other way, still.

Djokovic settled down a long time ago imo. He came onto the scene when Fedal was already the super hyped rivalry and everyone had already picked their side in that matchup. Both were sponsored by Nike at the time, so they marketed the absolute crap out of that.

Djokovic was kind of the third wheel who didn't fit in. Add in a game style that's just harder to appreciate for casual fans and you get a big difference quickly. By the time he calmed down a bit the damage was done. At that point I think he could've acted more like a rebel or even villain but that was never his style either.

That being said, with the Big 3 I think the tennis fandom has taken a big turn for the worse imo. I feel tournaments now matter less at face value cause everything is somehow about a record chase between the Big 3, and over the years I think that Nadal and especially Djokovic haven't gotten the respect they deserve.

I've always liked Đoković, but never liked the euphoria following him.
It was a kind of extension of the nineties propaganda we've been exposed to here, with the family element added.
Once they've realized his fame will last (far) more than one summer and let him do his thing, everything settled down and became more relaxed.
I mean, the prime time news were starting with reports about his matches... just like it was the case after sport sanctions were lifted, and basketball, volleyball, water polo... teams continued winning medals. That was the way to homogenize and instrumentalize people and instil the false feeling of self-respect.
I've become allergic to that, and when I sensed the same was happening again, I just couldn't tolerate it.
User avatar sir fly
Veteran

15 Jul 2019 03:00

This was such an important match in the overall GOAT scheme of things; up there with the Australian Open in 2017. Just think...21, 18, 15...it is pretty much all over. 20, 18, 16...Djokovic is now with a real chance to catch/surpass them both. Just 12 months ago it was 20, 17, 13.

Federer will be wondering (like the rest of us): "Just where is this next generation?"
User avatar gregrowlerson

15 Jul 2019 07:10

Red Rick wrote:

I agree that Djokovic and Nadal haven't gotten the respect they deserved. Largely because of the cult of Federer and a generation of people that cheer for the winner, and since Fed was the winner first, cheer for Federer.

If Djokovic had started in 2003 and Fed in 2008, half of them would cheer for Djokovic. Even though I admit Federer's "grace" when playing is part of the reason people are attached to him.

Djokovic seems like the biggest prick out of the three to me, especially the way he and Becker reacted to the doping question a few years ago. But I also think he's the best out of the 3, most flawless game, most dominant period, better than fed on clay.
Nadal and Djokovic also suffered from having to face prime Fed from a young age and eachother all the time plus Murray. Fed had those 4 years where he raked up half his titles when before Nadal could do anything on grass or hard and Djokovic hadn't yet emerged.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

Re:

15 Jul 2019 07:14

gregrowlerson wrote:This was such an important match in the overall GOAT scheme of things; up there with the Australian Open in 2017. Just think...21, 18, 15...it is pretty much all over. 20, 18, 16...Djokovic is now with a real chance to catch/surpass them both. Just 12 months ago it was 20, 17, 13.

Federer will be wondering (like the rest of us): "Just where is this next generation?"

Prediction no one wants to make, but I'll make it. I think Fed will win Wimbledon next year.

Djokovic is looking older to me at 32 (yesterday) than Federer at 38. Djokovic had those cardio issues early, whatever problems he had 2 years ago, that cause him to totally collapse and even though he's back, this isn't the Djokovic of 2014-16 or 2011.

I think he's struggling a little physically and its taking everything out of him to keep up to the level that allows him to scrape a wimbledon against a Fed who just played Nadal for 3 hours on Friday.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General