Register

Vino bought the 2010 LBL?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

22 Aug 2014 12:18

BeagRigh wrote:Either it is one of the most spectacular tactical fails I've seen or something more shady.... :o
It couldn't have said any better.
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

22 Aug 2014 12:44

Red Rick wrote:I can might be able to imagine selling my odds at an LBL victory, but an Olympic road race? Hell ****ing no

I don't know. I don't really think the Olympic road race is that prestigious. The Olympics have no history in cycling. To be honest, I think I'd rather win a LBL than an Olympic RR.
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten

22 Aug 2014 13:14

Maaaaaaaarten wrote:I don't know. I don't really think the Olympic road race is that prestigious. The Olympics have no history in cycling. To be honest, I think I'd rather win a LBL than an Olympic RR.

But you're looking at it for a purely cycling perspective. Only people who know about cycling knows what LBL is. But everybody knows what an Olympic gold medal is. Even if you think that LBL has more prestige within cycling (personally I don't), there is no comparison in prestige in the eyes of the wider world.
Parker

22 Aug 2014 13:21

Parker wrote:But you're looking at it for a purely cycling perspective. Only people who know about cycling knows what LBL is. But everybody knows what an Olympic gold medal is. Even if you think that LBL has more prestige within cycling (personally I don't), there is no comparison in prestige in the eyes of the wider world.

Why should we care what those who do not care about cycling think about the relative importance of LBL and the Olympic gold medal?
Luigi_Max

22 Aug 2014 14:07

gooner wrote:I was watching Orla Chennaoui on Sky talking about this. They could get between 6 months-3 years, plus a fine between 600 euros-300,000 euros.

http://www1.skysports.com/cycling/news/15264/9432996

That's just pathetic though. How is buying a race (or paying because you won, big difference) any new in cycling and more important, how is it corruption?

Sure its against the rules but it simply doesn't fit the label corruption.
User avatar Arnout

22 Aug 2014 14:58

^^^because philbert didn't win. corruption i tell ya
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks

22 Aug 2014 15:32

retzko wrote:That ain't true .... not even close.... Recently with Gilbert its got a boost. I the walloon area people riding their bike for pleasure is rather rare and even rarer to go to the market or home /work. they got a lot less viewers( even relative) then cycling got in flanders on TV.

They have tradition .... but not 1/2 of flanders in terms of intensity or broad popularity. With Gilbert cycling is the second sport but before tennis with henin was more popular and autosport is also very popular but they dont have no real hero s anymore in that sport.

A Dutch and a Flemish making that statement: biased at best, cheap shot, insulting at worst. Worth nothing.

BTW, had Clijsters been as good as Justine, maybe ratings/popularity would have been better for tennis in Flanders :p

I don't think there's less cycling CULTURE in either part of Belgium. It goes without saying that when you get local champions, popularity increases. See ratings on French TV for this year's TdF, ratings in the US when LA was winning. Duh...
User avatar Tonton

22 Aug 2014 15:52

Parker wrote:But you're looking at it for a purely cycling perspective. Only people who know about cycling knows what LBL is. But everybody knows what an Olympic gold medal is. Even if you think that LBL has more prestige within cycling (personally I don't), there is no comparison in prestige in the eyes of the wider world.

Well sure, I'm only looking at it from a cycling perspective, but I think most professional cyclists might be looking from a cycling perspective too.

For me it's Olympic RR < Monuments =/< WC RR

I feel the WC RR is a kind of primus inter pares though; I don't really feel that it's above the monuments. And different editions of the WC are very different in prestige. I mean:
Cavendish winning MSR >>>>> Cavendish winning a random boring race in Denmark

But more on-topic. Vino being processed for corruption is ridiculous. Also, sure Vino is a thug, but he's also a legend. In 20 years everybody will still be talking about Vino and this forum will still have a Vino option at every poll. :p

22 Aug 2014 17:51

The Olympics are the only race where you represent your country, apart from the WC. Apart from the team sizes, they're a bit the same, except the Olympics are once every 4 years. I'd take an Olympic gold medal over a rainbow jersey any day.
Let us remember what happened on March 16th, 2014

The Hitch wrote:Red Rick. Road Race forum MVP 2014.

The Hitch wrote:#RedRick4RCSRaceDirector.
Red Rick

22 Aug 2014 17:52

Maaaaaaaarten wrote:
But more on-topic. Vino being processed for corruption is ridiculous. Also, sure Vino is a thug, but he's also a legend. In 20 years everybody will still be talking about Vino and this forum will still have a Vino option at every poll. :p

The Vino option may get a different meaning in time:p
Let us remember what happened on March 16th, 2014

The Hitch wrote:Red Rick. Road Race forum MVP 2014.

The Hitch wrote:#RedRick4RCSRaceDirector.
Red Rick

22 Aug 2014 17:56

Maaaaaaaarten wrote:Well sure, I'm only looking at it from a cycling perspective, but I think most professional cyclists might be looking from a cycling perspective too.

For me it's Olympic RR < Monuments =/< WC RR

I feel the WC RR is a kind of primus inter pares though; I don't really feel that it's above the monuments. And different editions of the WC are very different in prestige. I mean:
Cavendish winning MSR >>>>> Cavendish winning a random boring race in Denmark

Uran got a bigger reception in Colombia for his silver than he would for winning 10 straight LBL's. A gold and he'd have a statue by now (just like the previous Olympic champion has in Oviedo. Who ever got a statue for LBL?)
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

22 Aug 2014 21:26

I didn't know about the situation in Colombia. If it's like that, indeed Uran wouldn't be very likely to sell the Olympics.

But certainly from a cycling perspective - and maybe I'm biased with a Dutch/Belgian perspective -, I feel the monuments are more prestigious, than the Olympic RR. There are few cycling greats on the list of past winners of the Olympic RR. But of course, it's also growing. If you look at the list of winners of the Olympics, you get Ulrich, Bettini, Sanchez, Vino as the last four, which might as well have been the list of winners from some big classic. But when you go further back, you will see it lacks history, compared to the monuments.

Also, just looking at some past winners of the Olympic RR, I saw Hennie Kuijper as one of the few big names from way back. He's also won the WC RR and every monument except LBL. I'm sure he would have traded his Olympic RR for a LBL any day of the week. :p

22 Aug 2014 21:28

WCRR >>>>>> OGRR [color="White"]l[/color]
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

22 Aug 2014 22:25

Netserk wrote:WCRR >>>>>> OGRR [color="White"]l[/color]

Cav would of been knighted had he pulled it off on The Mall about the only thing he didn't get for Copenhagen.
MatParker117

23 Aug 2014 08:58

MatParker117 wrote:Cav would of been knighted had he pulled it off on The Mall about the only thing he didn't get for Copenhagen.

MSR >>>>>>>>>> WC in Copenhagen/OG RR

It doesn't get you knighted by a queen who probably doesn't care about cycling, but it should get you more respect from cycling fans.

But on-topic; indeed, I might have been thinking too much about purely cycling related prestige, but considering the reception Uran would have gotten in Colombia, it is indeed unlikely for him to sell it.

23 Aug 2014 11:09

Maaaaaaaarten wrote:If you look at the list of winners of the Olympics, ... further back, you will see it lacks history, compared to the monuments.

Untill 1988(?), only "amateur athletes" were allowed to the Olympic Games. This I think should affect the list of winners.
User avatar ExtraSpoke

23 Aug 2014 11:11

MatParker117 wrote:Cav would of been knighted had he pulled it off on The Mall about the only thing he didn't get for Copenhagen.

Says a lot more about Britain/the queen than it does about OG and WC.
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

Previous

Return to Professional road racing