Register

Vino bought the 2010 LBL?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

07 Dec 2011 08:19

Sophistic wrote:The only way i can see Kolobnev selling LBL for just 100k is that he was tired and didnt believe in his chances anymore, so he basically offered his help for 100k and not the win.

Ya.. If it is true, a big if, it seems more likely that Vino paid Kolobnev to work hard and maintain the split. If Kolobnev didn't like his chances in a 5 way sprint, it would make sense to take some money and a guaranteed second place. Of course that makes a much less sensational headline.

I wonder if Hugo Koblet's bookie helped Vino with the payment :D
Teddy Boom

07 Dec 2011 08:42

auscyclefan94 wrote:This certainly won't do Vino's campaign to run for Parliament any good!

May not be the case, see Mohammad Azharuddin.

I won't take the report as the truth yet but has the UCI said anything with regards to this?

As for the question of whether a person is willing to miss his opportunity to etch his name in history for money- it's quite surprising what money can do to the some of the best in a sport (Hansie Cronje).

Joe_papp- If I'm not misunderstanding you, are you suggesting that the establishment is also aware of the "gentleman's agreements" in the sport.

20k Euros for the LBL winner seems low, no matter what leeway the winner has in future contract negotiations.
ramjambunath

07 Dec 2011 08:46

someone told that someone heard that someone wrote blah blah blah. the investigation will be held and 99.9% it'll lead to nothing because someone told that someone heard that someone wrote and it's hardly a proof.

the sad thing is that any rider can be accused in this way anytime. 99.9% it won't be proven but nevertheless it impresses upon the rider's reputation once and for all :(
Kvinto

Location: This account has been quit by its creator since Sept 23, 2012.

07 Dec 2011 10:17

Sophistic wrote:The only way i can see Kolobnev selling LBL for just 100k is that he was tired and didnt believe in his chances anymore, so he basically offered his help for 100k and not the win.

Makes senses, unlike the Ullrich/Virenque arrival in Courchevel (?) in 1997 there are apparently no pictures of them "negotiating" though?
webvan

07 Dec 2011 10:35

BroDeal wrote:More surely to come. I mean look at Vino. You know the guy's a playa. That dawg has to have five or six girlfriends, each in a different country. The magazine now has Vino's contact list and will be tracking down the hotties.

Vino lives in Monaco these days doesn't he? Shouldn't be a problem finding any of them there.
RIP Wouter Weylandt - 27 September 1984 – 9 May 2011.

RIP Xavier Tondó Volpini - 5 November 1978 – 23 May 2011

RIP John aka theswordsman - 2 July 1957 - 1 August 2011

Wouter, John and Xavi, you all will be missed.
User avatar craig1985

i suspected something long ago..

07 Dec 2011 10:41

after watching the very race, a stray thought crossed my mind…i instantly committed it to this forum 18 months ago
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showpost.php?p=193315&postcount=751
python wrote:i suspect vino and kolobnev had agreed before the race to help each other.
only one member picked my hint
Bala Verde wrote:i don't know if they agreed on anything prior to the race... I mean they were both better off staying together till the finish.

or do you mean that they talked before the race to say where they would attack?

mine and bala’s 18 months old (providential ?) posts…. and now this story :confused:
As for Marit, without the medicine, she would have no chance' -OEB
I don't f***ing care. It's his problem not mine--Bernard Hinault
User avatar python

07 Dec 2011 10:46

honestly i'm pretty afraid of what's next,especially michele connections.those sick journalists said more to come,i hope they will go to jail,vino has some good lawyers,you just can't break people's privacy to sell your junk papers
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks

07 Dec 2011 10:53

So this is why Kolobnev doesn't win things!
User avatar hrotha

07 Dec 2011 10:56

Imagine how filthy rich Marcato must be.
User avatar hrotha

07 Dec 2011 10:57

The money trail is easy to follow if they want

Story 1 . Vino offers the money to a tired kolobnev during the last 5 Km´s - Kolobnev takes the cash. The money is tax free and will have been used by Kolobnev and his accounts will show this- Fraud for both tax evasion for kolobnev - both thrown out of the sport.

Story 2 . Vino lent Kolobnev the cash - it should have been paid back by now - check the accounts - it may not have been paid back of course but 100 k between mate is still a fair bit of cash to have not paid back after 1 1/2 years.

it just seems so weird for me that Vino leads cash to kolobnev the 2 days after L-B-L

To me Vino story sounds abit like Tylers twin or Landis got really drunk story- made up by Guilty not so smart people to cover a fraud
Alexi Grewal to Hinault stage 14 into Superbagnéres 1986 ´You blew it, Bernie. You f*cked up.´
User avatar just some guy

07 Dec 2011 11:01

hrotha wrote:So this is why Kolobnev doesn't win things!

:D
if that's the reason he shouldn't worry about possible paying of the 5x year salary at Katusha if he'll be banned.
Kvinto

Location: This account has been quit by its creator since Sept 23, 2012.

07 Dec 2011 11:04

What if Vino made the bribe at the begining of the break, not at the end. Wouldnt that make more sense?

Kolobnev is a great rider but they are trying to hold off Valverde Gilbert and Evans.

Vino pays Kolobnev, not at the end, to lose, but rather at the begining, to kill himself for Vino, get the 2nd place while Vino takes the win.

So if we follow this theory to its logical conclusion, without this deal, not Kolobnev but Valverde or Gilbert would have been the winners.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

07 Dec 2011 11:13

The Hitch wrote:What if Vino made the bribe at the begining of the break, not at the end. Wouldnt that make more sense?

Kolobnev is a great rider but they are trying to hold off Valverde Gilbert and Evans.

Vino pays Kolobnev, not at the end, to lose, but rather at the begining, to kill himself for Vino, get the 2nd place while Vino takes the win.

So if we follow this theory to its logical conclusion, without this deal, not Kolobnev but Valverde or Gilbert would have been the winners.

Rewatched the last 10 kms of the race again and it does seem like Kolobnev is taking a bit more relays than he should. Does anyone remember the kilometres before that though?

Perhaps they could have stayed away though because Valverde was not really helping and Gilbert obviously did not want to ride too much for him either.
User avatar Panda Claws

07 Dec 2011 11:17

The Hitch wrote:What if Vino made the bribe at the begining of the break, not at the end. Wouldnt that make more sense?

Valverde, Gilbert, Vino, Kolobnev or Evans all could have won of course there will now be a 2000 pages discussion on who would have one, but I don´t care except to say 1 of the 5 could have won rather than show bias
Alexi Grewal to Hinault stage 14 into Superbagnéres 1986 ´You blew it, Bernie. You f*cked up.´

07 Dec 2011 11:20

"Even my wife was not too uneasy by the fact that I was second, because you were the first,” he continued.

If he had been up against someone else, “I would have gone for the victory, glory and bonus (in my contract that I have for these classics). That day I felt stronger than ever. Now it only remains for me to wait patiently to see if all this was not vain. My only comfort is that you won and not one of the natives (Belgian riders, ed.)

Enjoy your 2 year ban Kolobnev :p

If you thought Pozzato had to be afraid at Flanders for the fans, wait till they see Kolobnev.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

07 Dec 2011 11:22

lol at least they were understanding each other speaking russian.on the other hand virenque was using his fingers to tell the sum which he will pay to jan on the road to courchevel.now that was embarrasing.

also lol at kolobnev's wife being happy for vino=))))))))))))))))my god this is legendary stuff
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks

07 Dec 2011 11:22

just some guy wrote:Valverde, Gilbert, Vino, Kolobnev or Evans all could have won of course there will now be a 2000 pages discussion on who would have one, but I don´t care except to say 1 of the 5 could have won rather than show bias

Show bias?

Im hardly Gilberts biggest fan on here, just ask Pistolero. I assume some of you want people to say Evans could win any race cos hes the best la la la, but I say, Gilbert or Vavlerde because Gilbert was the one that attacked, dropped both Evans and Valverde and seemed the strongest, so would have won if it came down to attacks, whereas if it came down to a sprint obviously Valverde would have won.

Vino and Kolobnev are obviously ruled out by the implication that Kolobnev would not have pulled had he not recieved the bribe so they can't win since they don't stay away.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

07 Dec 2011 11:31

The Hitch wrote:Show bias?

Im hardly Gilberts biggest fan on here, just ask Pistolero. I assume some of you want people to say Evans could win any race cos hes the best la la la, but I say, Gilbert or Vavlerde because Gilbert was the one that attacked, dropped both Evans and Valverde and seemed the strongest, so would have won if it came down to attacks, whereas if it came down to a sprint obviously Valverde would have won.

Vino and Kolobnev are obviously ruled out by the implication that Kolobnev would not have pulled had he not recieved the bribe so they can't win since they don't stay away.

No if you look through my history on this type of topic

should have could have would have ( ie you can not change history )but ......

I assume the winner would have been Gilbert or Vino - we have 2 wheel followers (suckers if you like that term, defensive riders) in Valverde and Evans so with Gilbert attacking and Vino attacking 1 of them would have away imo

07 Dec 2011 11:31

El Pistolero wrote:"Even my wife was not too uneasy by the fact that I was second, because you were the first,” he continued.

If he had been up against someone else, “I would have gone for the victory, glory and bonus (in my contract that I have for these classics). That day I felt stronger than ever. Now it only remains for me to wait patiently to see if all this was not vain. My only comfort is that you won and not one of the natives (Belgian riders, ed.)

Enjoy your 2 year ban Kolobnev :p

If you thought Pozzato had to be afraid at Flanders for the fans, wait till they see Kolobnev.

can you post all the emails ?

07 Dec 2011 11:33

just some guy wrote:can you post all the emails ?

It's on cyclingnews, here's the article: *** edited by mod ***

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/emails-between-vinokourov-and-kolobnev-published

Lol, Gilbert to win his second LBL? :D
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing