Register

South American race thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, peloton, Eshnar, Red Rick, King Boonen, Tonton, Pricey_sky

Re:

21 Jan 2017 11:23

Valv.Piti wrote:So 5 stages for Gaviria and the overall for Bernal?

Sprinters: Gaviria, Richeze (will get a gift), van Poppel, Guardini, Haedo, Ruffoni, Marini, Gavazzi, Viviani, Angarita... not bad.

For GC it is wide open. Short Itt and a not too hard climb, but still an long one. My guess is Sepulveda, if he shows up in his San Luis shape of 2016. But I don't know if the Argentine national team will work for him or Rosas, who won the race in the last three years. All the top Argentines will be here, except Dani "Froome of January" Diaz.
Max Rockatansky

21 Jan 2017 13:03

I'm pretty sure Boonen will do one or two sprints for Quickstep (or together with Gaviria). :)
User avatar Popchu

21 Jan 2017 14:43

On a side note: Is attilio viviani family from Elia?
"Fred bud, he drives five kilometres too fast for us" - Frans Verbeeck talking about Eddy Merckx in an interview with Fred De Bruyne after finishing second in the Tour of Flandres in 1974.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

21 Jan 2017 14:54

Yes, he's one of Elia's younger brothers, the other one (Luca) is a Football player.
User avatar Mayomaniac

21 Jan 2017 18:50

Jimmiiiiiii
User avatar jens_attacks
Veteran

Re:

22 Jan 2017 11:12

overall will probably go to an argentinean
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Veteran

Re: Re:

22 Jan 2017 11:21

Ryo Hazuki wrote:

You don't give mollema, nibs, torres chances?
(On a side note Sepulveda is my favorite)
"Fred bud, he drives five kilometres too fast for us" - Frans Verbeeck talking about Eddy Merckx in an interview with Fred De Bruyne after finishing second in the Tour of Flandres in 1974.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

22 Jan 2017 11:22

Sevilla will win this!
User avatar Ruudz0r

22 Jan 2017 11:26

GenericBoonenFan wrote:
Ryo Hazuki wrote:

You don't give mollema, nibs, torres chances?
(On a side note Sepulveda is my favorite)

If Daniel Diaz managed to beat Contador & Van Garderen, then Laureano Rosas should have no problems dealing with Mollema and Nibali, who are both aiming for the Giro.
User avatar Squire

22 Jan 2017 13:22

What's up with that Rosas guy? I've just read some hype about him this year, and as far as I can tell he's a decent time trialist who's fast as well... but no climbing results according to cqranking the last couple of seasons.

EDIT: okay, winner of the last three editions, fair enough. But he still has no UCI mountain results.
Last edited by Kazistuta on 22 Jan 2017 14:16, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Kazistuta

22 Jan 2017 13:33

Max Rockatansky wrote:

Sprinters: Gaviria, Richeze (will get a gift), van Poppel, Guardini, Haedo, Ruffoni, Marini, Gavazzi, Viviani, Angarita... not bad.

For GC it is wide open. Short Itt and a not too hard climb, but still an long one. My guess is Sepulveda, if he shows up in his San Luis shape of 2016. But I don't know if the Argentine national team will work for him or Rosas, who won the race in the last three years. All the top Argentines will be here, except Dani "Froome of January" Diaz.

No, its actually a very good sprinting field, it was said jokingly. I am also aware that Bernal probably won't win on a shallow MTF and a flat time trial, but one can only hope for some TdU standards as a fan. :D
"This is the Tour that will determine whether I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

22 Jan 2017 14:00

Ruudz0r wrote:Sevilla will win this!

Indeed.
It will be remarkable.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

Re:

23 Jan 2017 01:14

Kazistuta wrote:What's up with that Rosas guy? I've just read some hype about him this year, and as far as I can tell he's a decent time trialist who's fast as well... but no climbing results according to cqranking the last couple of seasons.

EDIT: okay, winner of the last three editions, fair enough. But he still has no UCI mountain results.

Rosas is a machine, winning everything left and right in Argentina. He is in good form {he won a stage in Giro del Sol recently for example} and driven I think to try fight against the best in San Juan. Last year his team-mate Elías “Chucky” Pereyra was killed while out training and Rosas stated today, he is motivated to put in a good ride in memory of him.

Maybe he hasn't got any UCI hill-top results, but he is very, very complete rider at lower level. Last year in Vuelta Catamarca, he won the overall GC and two stages, among other, the finish on top of Cerro Los Ángeles {1320 above alttitude}. He also won the last time the peloton visited Alto del Colorado, so he knows the decisive climb well.

I have no idea how he will go against this type of competition, though. Personally, I am more interested in following the two young Colombians on Medellin - Inder, Julián Cardona and Javier Montoya both immense talents who can climb and TT very, very well.
Jakob747

23 Jan 2017 07:05

Laureano Rosas stands no chance against real competition. He may rip the Argentinean scene apart by winning every shitrace between Montevideo and Santiago de Chile, but I doubt we will see a lot of him in Europe this year - he signed with the Romanian Tusnad outfit. Plus he had clinic issues.
User avatar Bye Bye Bicycle

23 Jan 2017 09:15

Jakob747 wrote:
Kazistuta wrote:What's up with that Rosas guy? I've just read some hype about him this year, and as far as I can tell he's a decent time trialist who's fast as well... but no climbing results according to cqranking the last couple of seasons.

Rosas is a machine, winning everything left and right in Argentina. He is in good form {he won a stage in Giro del Sol recently for example} and driven I think to try fight against the best in San Juan. Last year his team-mate Elías “Chucky” Pereyra was killed while out training and Rosas stated today, he is motivated to put in a good ride in memory of him.

Maybe he hasn't got any UCI hill-top results, but he is very, very complete rider at lower level. Last year in Vuelta Catamarca, he won the overall GC and two stages, among other, the finish on top of Cerro Los Ángeles {1320 above alttitude}. He also won the last time the peloton visited Alto del Colorado, so he knows the decisive climb well.

I have no idea how he will go against this type of competition, though. Personally, I am more interested in following the two young Colombians on Medellin - Inder, Julián Cardona and Javier Montoya both immense talents who can climb and TT very, very well.

if they do any serious doping tests at this race we won't see rosas anywhere near winning I'm afraid
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Veteran

Re:

23 Jan 2017 11:00

GenericBoonenFan wrote:On a side note: Is attilio viviani family from Elia?

I was wondering that too, then I went to procyclingstats to look it up and... how many Vivianis are there? :surprised:
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

23 Jan 2017 12:01

RedheadDane wrote:
GenericBoonenFan wrote:On a side note: Is attilio viviani family from Elia?

I was wondering that too, then I went to procyclingstats to look it up and... how many Vivianis are there? :surprised:

Two (of any relevance).
User avatar Bye Bye Bicycle

23 Jan 2017 13:26

CTQ

23 Jan 2017 18:05

User avatar Guybrush

23 Jan 2017 19:28

Any clue to when they will finish.. 3-4 hours or so?

Just found out the last climb only is 4,4% and a max of 6,2%. Hardly impressive, but the accumulated elevation on that stage early on in the season and the height of the last climb should force a selection. Hopefully, in Bernal's favour!
"This is the Tour that will determine whether I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing