Register

Disc brakes on road bikes...

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Moderator: Pricey_sky

Re:

05 Jun 2018 19:35

VeloFidelis wrote:Try backing off the tension on your through axles. Over tightening can create some interesting and unexpected results. They can generate a lot more force than a QR, so play with that. They are not going fall out. Nice pics though... gotta love a quality Ti setup. BTW, Is that the Nanaimo ferry?

That seems like it would lead to more noise to me. I certainly haven't seen every dropout, but the setups that I am familiar with have a "mechanical stop": The axle caps stop against the inside face of the dropout, and the skewer stops against the outside. Sure you can stand on it or get a big cheater bar to really torque it, but by hand, I don't think that you can over tighten them. Besides, the rotor is mounted to the hub either via centerlock or six bolt, its not mounted to the axle so even if you crush the axle caps, the rotors should be unaffected. On the other hand, if the skewer is slightly loose, the hub/rotor might move slightly.

EDIT: This thread popped into my head on my way home from the trail head so I tried a little experiment. My brakes don't make any squeals. I loosened the skewer/axle (Fox fork/Fox axle) about 15 mm...not very much. I got up to about 20 mph and then grabbed a hand full of lever and the brakes squealed. So at least in my application backing the axle tension off wasn't good.
jmdirt

03 Jun 2019 11:47

And the disc brake debate rumbles on:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/disc-brake-said-to-be-cause-of-serious-injury-at-paris-roubaix-espoirs/

With Shimano releasing Tiagra level hydraulic disc brakes I think that we are slowly getting to the point where rim brakes are going to disappear from lower end bikes. They may remain for higher end bikes, but with bulk frame production I can't see many brands persevering with rim brakes on sub 2k bikes for much longer.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

Re:

05 Jun 2019 00:17

King Boonen wrote:And the disc brake debate rumbles on:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/disc-brake-said-to-be-cause-of-serious-injury-at-paris-roubaix-espoirs/

With Shimano releasing Tiagra level hydraulic disc brakes I think that we are slowly getting to the point where rim brakes are going to disappear from lower end bikes. They may remain for higher end bikes, but with bulk frame production I can't see many brands persevering with rim brakes on sub 2k bikes for much longer.

When I read that yesterday I had two thoughts going through my head: how did his (right) leg get to the rear rotor, and what else could cause that gash? In the comments someone blamed the through axle, but unless its some crazy thing I've never seen, I can't see that causing a gash like that. Its U23 so a video might be hard to find.
jmdirt

Re:

05 Jun 2019 04:24

The obvious comment is that the pros arent likely to be riding sub 2k bikes....average punters are, and so far there is little or no evidence of which I am aware of discs causing injuries among the general populace.

For the pros, different story. Both high profile cases involves crashes with other riders. Crashes for pros are a daily occupational hazard with, I believe, most riders crashing about 3 times in every GT.

I have to say that this latest incident sounds compelling.
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle

Re: Re:

06 Jun 2019 10:47

jmdirt wrote:

When I read that yesterday I had two thoughts going through my head: how did his (right) leg get to the rear rotor, and what else could cause that gash? In the comments someone blamed the through axle, but unless its some crazy thing I've never seen, I can't see that causing a gash like that. Its U23 so a video might be hard to find.

I don't understand why your first question came up, his right leg below the knee is the most likely part of him to come into contact with the rear rotor. Of course he'd have to be very close and I would have thought that to get a cut like that his leg would also have had to touch the spokes (which makes you question whether both riders would stay upright) and there doesn't appear to be any other injury, but in terms of possibility this type of injury it a lot more likely than the others blamed on discs.

What else could cause it? I'm drawing a blank on that if it happened as described.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

06 Jun 2019 10:58

macbindle wrote:

The obvious comment is that the pros arent likely to be riding sub 2k bikes....average punters are, and so far there is little or no evidence of which I am aware of discs causing injuries among the general populace.

For the pros, different story. Both high profile cases involves crashes with other riders. Crashes for pros are a daily occupational hazard with, I believe, most riders crashing about 3 times in every GT.

I have to say that this latest incident sounds compelling.

The two things weren't meant to be connected.

I haven't seen any evidence of discs causing injuries where the person/someone wasn't at fault for general riding. There have been a few crashes in my club with discs involved and I've not been told of any disc-related injuries either and nothing seems to have popped up in local racing so far.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

06 Jun 2019 11:44

Remember, the WT pros are riding in groups and racing nearly 365 days of the year. Amateur club riders dont get anywhere near that. I'd guess that I am probably in the top 5% of cyclists nationally when it comes to mileage, but I haven't ridden in a group since may 18th. The pros are doing it all the time, so the opportunities for a disc related incident seem higher to me.

Even so, if you took every rider crash from every WT race (or training) and consider that there have only been 2 high profile cases, it seems so staggeringly rare as to deserve being classed as a freak accident.

Whenever I've crashed, I've always cracked my nuts on the stem, but I dont see any calls for stems to be banned :D
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle

10 Jun 2019 20:31

Just bought a city commuter and it has disc brakes. First bike I have ever owned that has disc. It seems good to me.
Is it cheaper to make disc than the calipers?
nevele neves

Re:

11 Jun 2019 14:08

nevele neves wrote:Just bought a city commuter and it has disc brakes. First bike I have ever owned that has disc. It seems good to me.

Very unlikely it's cheaper, but it's economies of scale so there will no doubt be a tipping point. I wouldn't be surprised if we see lower end (Sora, Tiagra, 105 type level) caliper brakes drop out of production within the next 10 years or so. The really cheap ones might stick around for a while.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

12 Jun 2019 19:00

King Boonen wrote:
nevele neves wrote:Just bought a city commuter and it has disc brakes. First bike I have ever owned that has disc. It seems good to me.

Very unlikely it's cheaper, but it's economies of scale so there will no doubt be a tipping point. I wouldn't be surprised if we see lower end (Sora, Tiagra, 105 type level) caliper brakes drop out of production within the next 10 years or so. The really cheap ones might stick around for a while.

But there is a ton of lower end cycles being produced that have the disc's. Maybe they have the price down so far that it does not really make a difference to the bottom line profit.
nevele neves

14 Jun 2019 12:21

nevele neves wrote:
King Boonen wrote:

But there is a ton of lower end cycles being produced that have the disc's. Maybe they have the price down so far that it does not really make a difference to the bottom line profit.

The cheapest of the cheap bikes are still rim brake. Even if we ignore those I think it's still likely cheaper to produce and equip rim brakes. As market saturation of discs at the "proper bike" low end becomes a reality it will shift, I just don't think it's there yet.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

Re:

22 Jun 2019 12:45

Just bought the below for my 8 year old grand daughter...with Tektro wet discs..so yup, gonna be on bikes, most all, soon, for good or ill...GREAT bike, BTW...

https://www.clearybikes.com/products/meerkat-24-5-speed
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran

Yesterday 14:46

Bustedknuckle wrote:

Just bought the below for my 8 year old grand daughter...with Tektro wet discs..so yup, gonna be on bikes, most all, soon, for good or ill...GREAT bike, BTW...

https://www.clearybikes.com/products/meerkat-24-5-speed

Nice bike for a 8 year old.
Yes it does seem that all bikes are going to have a disc brake setup.
nevele neves

Previous

Return to General