Register

Universal Sports TV Availability

Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

03 Jan 2012 16:33

Can't get universal online it's geo restricted. if I pay more to dish network I can verses (now NBC Sports Network or something)
but they have soooo many ads
It was all I could do to submit this comment I don’t know where the inspiration came from…
User avatar krebs303
Veteran

03 Jan 2012 16:46

nowhereman wrote:I watched Cyclocross and World Cup ski racing, besides the Bicycle racing (Giro, Vuelta subscriptions). I'm looking into alternatives. Right now, but in the meantime, I have a subscription to the World Cup Season, so that is not really affected ( I won't miss Doug Lewis' inane commentary, or his overly enthusiastic hand gesturing, one bit.- As a matter of fact, he's unbearable). A subscription for cyclocross can be obtained too. But this does truly suck. Direct TV, Dish TV is BoolSheet. Reception is sketchy where I live when it's rainy(cloudy). I had it once, and was happy to get rid of it.
Obviously the numbers have been added up, and the carriers don't think it's worthwhile to pay NBC(Universal) what they want. So, they're saying it was Universal's option to leave. Meanwhile Universal is trying to get it's followers to step up, and voice their desire to keep the channel on the air. Unfortunately those numbers don't seem to be phasing the carriers into spending more money to satisfy those who want to keep it on the air.
The dollar talks, and ****, there goes another great deal.:(

Cox communications also cut Universal and now we have a test pattern. Time to switch to satellite I guess and take my internet business with me.
User avatar shawnrohrbach

03 Jan 2012 16:47

krebs303 wrote:Can't get universal online it's geo restricted. if I pay more to dish network I can verses (now NBC Sports Network or something)
but they have soooo many ads

I scanned listings on the new "NBC 24 hour sports"...network. Same old hockey and bass fishing. Nothing about skiing or other sports.
Oldman

04 Jan 2012 02:42

Maxiton wrote:Yep, that's the only way to go. The free streams are unreliable and usually lo-res when they are working. Eurosport is often geo-restricted. Universal has a season pass for about $35. Everything full HD and no commercials. Doesn't cover the Tour or the Spring Classics, however, but for what it does cover it's still the best option if you absolutely, positively can't have your racing trifled with.

Keep in mind your computer must run whatever version of Microsoft's silverlight player they see fit to support. That cuts out more computer devices than ever and many Mac users. The average person only thinks in terms of Microsoft and Apple i686. Lots more devices in the world, many more in fact than Apple and Microsoft would ever dream of producing.

So, if it works, it might be nice. It won't work on any of my devices.
User avatar DirtyWorks
Veteran

04 Jan 2012 10:31

DirtyWorks wrote:Keep in mind your computer must run whatever version of Microsoft's silverlight player they see fit to support. That cuts out more computer devices than ever and many Mac users. The average person only thinks in terms of Microsoft and Apple i686. Lots more devices in the world, many more in fact than Apple and Microsoft would ever dream of producing.

So, if it works, it might be nice. It won't work on any of my devices.

Are you using a Linux distro?
2016: Year of the Red Fire Monkey
User avatar Maxiton

04 Jan 2012 18:12

Maxiton wrote:Are you using a Linux distro?

I've got one of everything pretty much. Powerpc, ARM, i686. The only device that would work is the i686 laptop. I can boot to OSX but use Debian everyday. Look up the system requirements for silverlight. You have to stay very current on a Mac for silverlight to function.
User avatar DirtyWorks
Veteran

06 Jan 2012 15:31

good to see the Comcast CEO only makes 31million dollars

And his net worth is in the 100s of millions.

He is struggling to get by, so evidently they had to tighten the belt at Comcast. Trickle up very much?

Thanks Comcast. Looking forward to the bachelorette, the kardashians and jersey shore...
User avatar Bala Verde
Veteran

06 Jan 2012 17:27

Bala Verde wrote:good to see the Comcast CEO only makes 31million dollars

And his net worth is in the 100s of millions.

He is struggling to get by, so evidently they had to tighten the belt at Comcast. Trickle up very much?

Thanks Comcast. Looking forward to the bachelorette, the kardashians and jersey shore...

no more posts like this bala, im so angry as it is... still, you crack me up
GWAR79

06 Jan 2012 17:39

GWAR79 wrote:no more posts like this bala, im so angry as it is... still, you crack me up

I was checking cyclocross races today, if I should record some upcoming events... And I noticed universal was gone, I thought they had moved the channel to a different location.

Not.

I was fuming.

So I sent a comment via the universal site. That'll show them...
User avatar Bala Verde
Veteran

06 Jan 2012 20:49

Bala Verde wrote:I was checking cyclocross races today, if I should record some upcoming events... And I noticed universal was gone, I thought they had moved the channel to a different location.

Not.

I was fuming.

So I sent a comment via the universal site. That'll show them...

You probably won't even get the polite "on one's home" return email. It's NBC we should be hatin' but it is about the 4th tier of sport broadcasting profitability. That NBC/Vs/Root still broadcasts more Bull n' Bass than anything else tells you where cycling fits in the grand scheme. I knew we were dorks following a childish sport; I'm mad that it's been validated-again.
Oldman

06 Jan 2012 22:13

Some more info in the LA times 2 days ago

Universal Sports channel didn't disappear, it just seems that way

Now,*Universal Sports wants to be paid by distributors for carriage and is being offered as a stand-alone cable network. So far, satellite broadcaster DirecTV is the only multichannel video program distributor to have cut a deal with the channel, but its*officers say they are confident that they'll be in 15 million to 20 million homes by the end of 2012. Previously, the channel was available in about 40 million homes

And this on the versus-NBC channel:

The change came at the same time as NBC's rebranding of its Versus channel as NBC Sports Network. The acquisition of Versus came as a part of a NBC's $30 million merger with Comcast Corp. last year.

The new network is branding itself as a 24/7 sports programming provider and has immediate plans to focus on the National Hockey League, Major League Soccer and the London 2012 Olympic Games.

The NHL stands to benefit from the increased coverage, with the 10-year exclusive rights deal that was signed in 2011 guaranteeing 100 games annually on NBC or NBC Sports Network.

Source

That means we get bad soccer, NHL, indynracing and one tour.
User avatar Bala Verde
Veteran

07 Jan 2012 02:06

Sky Angel has a $33/mo pkg that has the "new" Versus,
UniversalSports, and the Tennis channel. Anybody have any
Experience with them?
Tyre Byter

07 Jan 2012 02:59

We are switching.
DirectTV has an offer of $19.99/month to AAA members for new subscribers in the U.S. for a 20-month contract.

They have Universal AND TCM at their lowest-level pkg which is good for us....:)

soon we won't need a cable co at all....I hope

edit: I think I made a mistake....no Universal is listed...da**!
oh well....not DirecTV either then.
craig walsh always with us
User avatar mewmewmew13
Veteran

07 Jan 2012 03:04

mewmewmew13 wrote:We are switching.
DirectTV has an offer of $19.99/month to AAA members for new subscribers in the U.S. for a 20-month contract.

They have Universal AND TCM at their lowest-level pkg which is good for us....:)

soon we won't need a cable co at all....I hope

edit: I think I made a mistake....no Universal is listed...da**!
oh well....not DirecTV either then.

That sounds great! Gotta check into that.
Tyre Byter

07 Jan 2012 03:08

As of now they are not listing Universal on their list on the website, but the previous post says that DirecTV was cutting a deal with US....
so not sure what is happening..

Oh wait...it says 'Coming to' DirecTV on the website..so MAYBE..info is not really clear
User avatar mewmewmew13
Veteran

07 Jan 2012 17:16

I'M MAD AS H*** AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203550304577138841278154700.html

We are shutting off the cable on Monday.
Goodbye Comcast
User avatar mewmewmew13
Veteran

07 Jan 2012 22:50

mewmewmew13 wrote:I'M MAD AS H*** AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203550304577138841278154700.html

We are shutting off the cable on Monday.
Goodbye Comcast

You are finally going off of cable :D, did it back in 2008 when my trial cable went blank, we won't go into how long the trial was for.

I think instead of most of those devices listed except maybe the antenna can be had through a computer. Most of the other devices are also computers but limit what you can watch, whereas the average computer puts no limit on what you can watch because it is not going through one branded box. Even the TV they list is limited because I know for a fact it does not do Amazon video feeds.

Its all on the internet these days and if not will be, dump the cable, satalite, or what ever and get with the 21st century. The sooner everyone dumps the cable, satalite or what ever the sooner everything will be on the computer, so everyone dump it!
CyclingNews Forum Member Number 1. (verified)
All my posts are of my own opinion.
October 10, 2012 The Reasoned Decision
User avatar ElChingon
Veteran

07 Jan 2012 23:18

ElChingon wrote:You are finally going off of cable :D, did it back in 2008 when my trial cable went blank, we won't go into how long the trial was for.

I think instead of most of those devices listed except maybe the antenna can be had through a computer. Most of the other devices are also computers but limit what you can watch, whereas the average computer puts no limit on what you can watch because it is not going through one branded box. Even the TV they list is limited because I know for a fact it does not do Amazon video feeds.

Its all on the internet these days and if not will be, dump the cable, satalite, or what ever and get with the 21st century. The sooner everyone dumps the cable, satalite or what ever the sooner everything will be on the computer, so everyone dump it!

You are right. For most I think it is a matter of just getting around to doing something about the status quo.
It would be simple to just have a dedicated laptop next to your tv, or just use your own.

We don't actually watch much tv, our two boys (teens) prefer to do their own thing on their computers but occasionally look at the History CH, Disc, which is online anyway.

I can catch the news, which is awful anyway, online. I don't like anything 'reality' on tv and mostly everything is cra*. Cycling is the only thing that I can think of but the last couple of years I watch online as Versus has far too many ads and I refuse to turn on that channel.

Done.

btw in my 'youth' I also free-lance hooked up some cable that worked great for a long time...:D
User avatar mewmewmew13
Veteran

20 Jan 2012 17:38

Hello, I work with Universal Sports and I took some time to read through this thread to hear what you have to say. I’d like to help clarify a few discussion topics while also providing some additional information.

In regards to Comcast: NBC Universal owns a non-controlling minority interest in Universal Sports. The network is operated independently of NBC Universal and its parent Comcast, therefore, we have to negotiate with Comcast as we would any other television distributor.

Addressing the switch from Over the Air: Universal Sports Network has been available to TV providers for free since 2008. Sports content is expensive and in order to sustain our network long term, we needed to switch to the cable, satellite and telco business model so that we can continue to provide the world class offerings our fans have become accustomed to.

The concern you all have shown is truly appreciated and we understand this issue has been frustrating to many. You can still access Universal Sports Cycling Programming by going to http://www.universalsports.com/cycling/viewers-guide/index.html. Our Road Cycling Spring package, includes upcoming cycling events, such as the Cyclocross World Championships, Tirreno d’Adriatico, Milan San Remo, Giro d’Italia and other races. We are currently in negotiations with a variety of TV providers and hope to make some distribution announcements in the near future. It is important that the TV providers recognize the value of Universal Sports Network's world-class sports offerings so we can finalize agreements that will allow more viewers to have access to our network. While we are doing what we can to help move along this business transition, it is the fans like you that can really make a difference.

Please continue to call 1-800-55-GET-US and go to http://unisports.tv/gfepVd. Then, spread the word that you want Universal Sports! You can post 1-800-55-GET-US and http://unisports.tv/gfepVd on your Facebook page and tweet it out on Twitter. Also post on forums for your TV providers and any groups you are in as well.

Thank you for your loyalty.
KEEP US
Newly Registered Member

20 Jan 2012 18:03

hello KEEP US.

Thanks for providing some direct feedback. As you can see we are all cycling fans that care very much about access to viewing cycling races and events.

I think most of us here would also pay for viewing, if the content and availability is reasonable.

I ,for one, am concerned that viewing options from NBC or whatever 'versus' it has morphed into are so limited and a joke. They seem to be distilling an entire race into a 30 minute piece that is shown at some off-the-wall time, usually hours after it was live.

If you could guarantee most of the important races and/or spring classics I am sure you would be taken very seriously by avid cycling fans.

Keep us posted, and hopefully those here on the clinic will notice this update as well as pose some programming questions and desires.

Thank you,
mew
User avatar mewmewmew13
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General