Log in:  

Register

Giro 2012 Field Discussion/Rumours

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Giro 2012 Field Discussion/Rumours

14 Jan 2012 11:17

Now that we know the wild cards, I want to make a thread collecting all the guys who are sure/likely to go to the Giro. I've not paid much attention to these kind of rumours lately, so this list is awfully incomplete. I'm counting on you guys to give me news and I'll edit this first post every time. :)

LIST:
AG2R La Mondiale: Gadret, Dupont...
Androni: Rujano, Sella, Serpa, Ermeti....
Astana: Kreuziger, Tiralongo, Kessiakoff, Ponzi, Masciarelli, Kiserlovski, Guarnieri, Gavazzi, Gasparotto, Vinokourov??...
BMC: Hushovd, Pinotti, Ballan, Phinney...
Colnago-Csf: Pozzovivo, Pirazzi, Modolo, Battaglin...
Euskaltel-Euskadi: Azanza, Cabedo, Cazaux, Garcia, Izagirre, Minguez, Ayala, Nieve, Oroz, Saez, Txurruka, Velasco
Farnese: Pozzato, Gatto, Guardini...
FDJ-Big Mat: Rasch, Demare...
Garmin-Cervélo: Farrar, Hesjedal, Vandevelde, Rasmussen?...
GreenEDGE: Impey, Goss, Keukeleire...
Katusha: Brutt, Horrach, Kristoff, Kuschynsky, Losada, Moreno, Fernandez, Rodriguez, Smukulis, Vicioso
Lampre-ISD: Scarponi, Cunego?...
Liquigas-Cannondale: Basso, Nibali?...
Lotto Belisol: Bille, Bulgac, De Clercq, De Greef, Dehaes, Dockx, Hansen, Kaisen, Meersman, Neyens, Sohrabi, Van Leijen, Vanendert
Movistar: Visconti, Ventoso, Bruseghin...
Omega Pharma-Quickstep: Cataldo...
Rabobank: Slagter, Bos, Renshaw, Van Emden, Flens,...
RadioShack-Nissan: Fuglsang, Bennati, Oliveira?, Zaugg?, Kloden?, F.Schleck?????...
Sky: Thomas, Cavendish, Siutsou, Dowsett, Appollonio, Swift, Eisel, Henao, Uran, Lovkvist???...
Saxo: Haedo, Majka, Aaen....
Team NetApp: Konig...
Vacansoleil-DCM: De Gendt...
User avatar Eshnar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,374
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 11:25
Location: Frankfurt am Main

14 Jan 2012 11:23

I think this will be a Grand Tour that some lesser GC riders have a chance to actually get a GT podium to their palmares.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,164
Joined: 16 Jun 2009 02:37
Location: Australia

14 Jan 2012 11:26

auscyclefan94 wrote:I think this will be a Grand Tour that some lesser GC riders have a chance to actually get a GT podium to their palmares.

Who, for istance?
If they're all in shape, the podium is locked between Scarponi, Basso and Rujano (or Nibali if he's there)
User avatar Eshnar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,374
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 11:25
Location: Frankfurt am Main

14 Jan 2012 11:27

Sky: Henao
User avatar Lupetto
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,232
Joined: 08 Sep 2010 10:05

14 Jan 2012 11:28

I think Saxo was sending Majka.
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,376
Joined: 23 Oct 2011 17:47

14 Jan 2012 11:29

Thx, edited.
User avatar Eshnar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,374
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 11:25
Location: Frankfurt am Main

14 Jan 2012 11:29

Lupetto wrote:Sky: Henao


... and G.Thomas
Kvinto
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,552
Joined: 28 Oct 2010 09:39
Location: This account has been quit by its creator since Sept 23, 2012.

14 Jan 2012 11:30

Cavendish...

It will be interesting to see what Rabobank does because apparently all of Gesink, Kruijswijk and Mollema is aiming for the Tour. I definitely think Kruijswijk should focus on the Giro but I guess a good chance of podiuming the Giro isn't that attractive..
Ryo Hazuki wrote:contador is such a coward :o
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,526
Joined: 09 May 2010 08:08

14 Jan 2012 11:31

Hugo Koblet wrote:Cavendish...

Ooops, forgotten :(
User avatar Eshnar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,374
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 11:25
Location: Frankfurt am Main

14 Jan 2012 11:32

if Cav in, then Eisel for sure :)
Kvinto
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,552
Joined: 28 Oct 2010 09:39
Location: This account has been quit by its creator since Sept 23, 2012.

14 Jan 2012 11:33

Astana: Kessiakoff
Gotland
Junior Member
 
Posts: 84
Joined: 14 May 2009 12:48

14 Jan 2012 11:34

Sky: Thomas, Cavendish, Siutsou, Dowsett, Appollonio, Lofkvist, Henao

Kvinto wrote:if Cav in, then Eisel for sure :)


Eisel is doing Classics + Tour
User avatar will10
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,013
Joined: 27 Dec 2010 14:08

14 Jan 2012 11:34

I'm just speculating here, but in recent years Rabo has been using the Giro to send young climbers / potential GC talent, like Mollema, Kruijswijk.... If they feel like continuing this, they might send Slagter and Kelderman to the Giro this year, well, that's an if of course, but I certainly hope so.
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,376
Joined: 23 Oct 2011 17:47

14 Jan 2012 11:37

Sky: Cavendish, Siutsou
RIP Wouter Weylandt - 27 September 1984 – 9 May 2011.

RIP Xavier Tondó Volpini - 5 November 1978 – 23 May 2011

RIP John aka theswordsman - 2 July 1957 - 1 August 2011

Wouter, John and Xavi, you all will be missed.
User avatar craig1985
Senior Member
 
Posts: 8,316
Joined: 06 May 2009 09:55
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

14 Jan 2012 11:37

First post updated... :)
User avatar Eshnar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,374
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 11:25
Location: Frankfurt am Main

14 Jan 2012 11:41

Also,

Saxo: Jonas Aaen
Garmin: probably Alex Rasmussen
FDJ: Rasch

Maaaaarten:

I hope - and think - they'll send Slagter as well. He did well last year untill he crashed out.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:contador is such a coward :o
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,526
Joined: 09 May 2010 08:08

14 Jan 2012 11:43

Eshnar wrote:Who, for istance?
If they're all in shape, the podium is locked between Scarponi, Basso and Rujano (or Nibali if he's there)


Nibali will be at the tour and so will Scarponi. Rujano can't really be considered a GC threat when he will lose minutes in the TTT and the ITT therefore it is open to some lesser names to the podium.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,164
Joined: 16 Jun 2009 02:37
Location: Australia

14 Jan 2012 11:44

will10 wrote:Eisel is doing Classics + Tour


:confused:
isn't he supposed to be Cav's lead out man?
Kvinto
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,552
Joined: 28 Oct 2010 09:39
Location: This account has been quit by its creator since Sept 23, 2012.

14 Jan 2012 11:46

auscyclefan94 wrote:Nibali will be at the tour and so will Scarponi. Rujano can't really be considered a GC threat when he will lose minutes in the TTT and the ITT therefore it is open to some lesser names to the podium.

Liguigas said twice that Nibs could go at the Giro, he'll decide after the classics.
Lampre said Scarponi is going to the Giro, and Cunego probly to the Tour.
User avatar Eshnar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,374
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 11:25
Location: Frankfurt am Main

14 Jan 2012 11:48

Maaaaaaaarten wrote:I'm just speculating here, but in recent years Rabo has been using the Giro to send young climbers / potential GC talent, like Mollema, Kruijswijk.... If they feel like continuing this, they might send Slagter and Kelderman to the Giro this year, well, that's an if of course, but I certainly hope so.

Slagter: yes, will ride the Giro.

Kelderman: no chance. Too young, doesn't want it himself.
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

Next

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BeagRigh, Bernie's eyesore, Dazed and Confused, Google [Bot], lemon cheese cake, Molteni and 28 guests

Back to top