Register

Giro 2012 Field Discussion/Rumours

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

17 Jan 2012 11:36

What about Radioshack? Will Kloden come to Italy? :confused:
User avatar Eshnar

11 Feb 2012 22:33

Shefer about Vino:

He is training a lot at the moment and is managing his fitness meticulously so that he reaches peak condition in April and May

May? Giro?
The gain is again a seven second gain for EvGAINy Berzin - Phil Liggett
issoisso

Location: Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!.......or something...

11 Feb 2012 22:45

issoisso wrote:Shefer about Vino:

May? Giro?

Really doubt it.

Theres nothing really there for him especially if he wants his day in yellow in July.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

11 Feb 2012 23:21

Tour de Romandie.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

11 Feb 2012 23:27

issoisso wrote:Shefer about Vino:
He is training a lot at the moment and is managing his fitness meticulously so that he reaches peak condition in April and May

May? Giro?
Astana @ Giro 2012

Enrico Gasparotto
Francesco Gavazzi
Jacopo Guarnieri
Fredrik Kessiakoff
Robert Kiserlovski
Roman Kreuziger
Francesco Masciarelli
Simone Ponzi
Paolo Tiralongo
halamala

12 Feb 2012 05:43

Thats' a good strong team to support Krueziger. Kessiakoff, Kiserlovski, Masciarelli and Tiralongo should offer great support.
However i don't like the idea of them also sending a strong sprinters team ( that at best could probably only get into the top 3 ) Ponzi and Gavazzi need a hard stage/ break to be in contention whilst Guarnieri is still young. Kreuzigers' win as the best young rider here last year shows he deserves the full backing of the team and he looks to have good motivation. He would along with Fuglsang also be the best ITTer of the GC contenders.

I still think Vinos' quotes/ idea to be in top form for April and May is weird. He could go well at the Ardennes again of course.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge

12 Feb 2012 10:22

A couple of weeks ago, I read an article on Thomas de Gendt about his Giro d'Italia participation. Can't find it anymore though. Anyone know where to find it?
User avatar Damiano

12 Feb 2012 10:41

greenedge wrote:Thats' a good strong team to support Krueziger. Kessiakoff, Kiserlovski, Masciarelli and Tiralongo should offer great support.
However i don't like the idea of them also sending a strong sprinters team ( that at best could probably only get into the top 3 ) Ponzi and Gavazzi need a hard stage/ break to be in contention whilst Guarnieri is still young. Kreuzigers' win as the best young rider here last year shows he deserves the full backing of the team and he looks to have good motivation. He would along with Fuglsang also be the best ITTer of the GC contenders.

It's much better than Menchov's support when he won the Giro (well, except Ten Dam maybe). Seems a pretty strong team to me.

I just don't think Kreuziger can make the podium. Scarponi, Basso, Rodriguez, Rujano, Gadret are all better climbers than him, and that's basically what it's about in this Giro. That final TT shouldn't shake things up too much, plus Kreuziger isn't awfully strong in longer TTs anyway.
theyoungest

12 Feb 2012 10:55

halamala wrote:Astana @ Giro 2012

Enrico Gasparotto
Francesco Gavazzi
Jacopo Guarnieri
Fredrik Kessiakoff
Robert Kiserlovski
Roman Kreuziger
Francesco Masciarelli
Simone Ponzi
Paolo Tiralongo

First post updated with these, thanks :)
User avatar Eshnar

12 Feb 2012 14:00

theyoungest wrote:It's much better than Menchov's support when he won the Giro (well, except Ten Dam maybe). Seems a pretty strong team to me.

I just don't think Kreuziger can make the podium. Scarponi, Basso, Rodriguez, Rujano, Gadret are all better climbers than him, and that's basically what it's about in this Giro. That final TT shouldn't shake things up too much, plus Kreuziger isn't awfully strong in longer TTs anyway.

I was going to say that Roman could with a good prologue get pink after the first mtf but then i realised there's a 30k ttt where he will lose a minute +.
Another innocent rider robbed by the ttt:(
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

User avatar The Hitch

12 Feb 2012 16:07

I'm hoping to see 2004 again (not the parcours, the outcome).
Scarponi and Basso to duke it out, Cunego to stay in touch, and drop everyone down the Mortirolo to gain enough to stay away on the Stelvio and win the overall.
I certainly don't want another Basso win.
User avatar Zoncolan

12 Feb 2012 16:31

Zoncolan wrote:I'm hoping to see 2004 again (not the parcours, the outcome).
Scarponi and Basso to duke it out, Cunego to stay in touch, and drop everyone down the Mortirolo to gain enough to stay away on the Stelvio and win the overall.
I certainly don't want another Basso win.

I'm quite sure the key stage will the one to L'Alpe di Pampeago.
Anyway I just hope Cunego does show himself next May....
User avatar Eshnar

12 Feb 2012 16:35

Eshnar wrote:I'm quite sure the key stage will the one to L'Alpe di Pampeago.
Anyway I just hope Cunego does show himself next May....

Cunego is doing the Giro?

Niemiec for the Tour:D

User avatar The Hitch

12 Feb 2012 16:37

The Hitch wrote:Cunego is doing the Giro?

I don't know.
And it looks like he doesn't, too.
User avatar Eshnar

12 Feb 2012 16:38

Eshnar wrote:I don't know.
And it looks like he doesn't, too.

I thought he said he liked last years schedule and it was going to be Scarponi for Giro + maybe Tour and Cunego for TDS and Tour

User avatar The Hitch

12 Feb 2012 16:41

The Hitch wrote:I thought he said he liked last years schedule and it was going to be Scarponi for Giro + maybe Tour and Cunego for TDS and Tour

Yes, he said it, but then in its next interview he said he was still unsecure about its Giro partecipation.
For me it's just 20% chance he'll race the Giro. But I hope he will, instead of getting a top 15 at the Tour.
User avatar Eshnar

12 Feb 2012 16:52

Scarponi can win the Giro,Cunego - no way. Pretty weird tactics by Lampre.
User avatar airstream

12 Feb 2012 16:54

airstream wrote:Scarponi can win the Giro,Cunego - no way. Pretty weird tactics by Lampre.

I don't think the partecipation of Scarponi is in doubt. We're talking about Cunego.
BTW, Cunego can podium the Giro. In the Tour he sure as hell can't.
User avatar Eshnar

12 Feb 2012 17:13

Eshnar wrote:I don't think the partecipation of Scarponi is in doubt. We're talking about Cunego.
BTW, Cunego can podium the Giro. In the Tour he sure as hell can't.

This.
Scarponi couldn't podium either.
IMO, it's better to go for a two pronged attack at the Giro. They are Italians after all.
User avatar Zoncolan

12 Feb 2012 17:17

Zoncolan wrote:This.
Scarponi couldn't podium either.
IMO, it's better to go for a two pronged attack at the Giro. They are Italians after all.

I fully agree ;)
User avatar Eshnar

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing