Register

Best Road Water Bottle Cage

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Best Road Water Bottle Cage

17 Jan 2012 05:57

So lets hear it what's your best water bottle cage?

In other words a cage that does not dump your water bottle cage out regardless of ride conditions.

If you ever started a ride/race with 2 or 1 bottle and ended up with 1 or 0 bottles (assuming you didn't chuck it on purpose), they do not meet the standard for best water bottle cage and do not belong in this thread..

PS: This is based mainly on recent or actually all the time seeing people's water bottles flying across the road the moment any minor bump occurs, which is one of my pet peeves on rides with many people, who ever leaves their home and not make sure the bottles are snugly secure on the bike?
CyclingNews Forum Member Number 1. (verified)
All my posts are of my own opinion.
October 10, 2012 The Reasoned Decision
User avatar ElChingon

17 Jan 2012 06:11

I originally bought these based on looks but man they've never dumped a bottle even under rough roads to almost classify as Roubaix like.

Elite Moro d'Elite:

These are also good and on the backup bike, no dropped bottles on either! I do tighten these down though from time to time to make sure they don't pop out.

Elite Ciussi Inox

PS: I'm not brand loyal just use what works and these don't drop bottles.
User avatar ElChingon

17 Jan 2012 06:16

Almost forgot. Mainly tried the Moro d'Elite because I broke too many of the Ciussi Inox and didn't want to keep that up. Just bought another set of water bottle cages and wonder if anyone will list them as their best cages?
User avatar ElChingon

17 Jan 2012 07:09

King Ti

"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal

17 Jan 2012 07:39

BroDeal wrote:King Ti

King Stainless work well too.
Bat Cage for purely function without looks. Never lost a bottle on or off road.
Have a pair of Giant carbon cages from a few years ago that hold bottles with a death grip but can be a real pain in the posterior to fit them back in. Great for racing. If I can't get the bottle back in I simply hand it to the guy next to me, who more often than not takes it with a smile. Cheeky me.
User avatar TexPat

17 Jan 2012 11:05

Elite custom with union jack on the side.Lovely:)
simo1733

17 Jan 2012 12:33

I got fed up of cages that either didn't grip well enough, or were too tight. I did some research and found some good reviews for Arundel cages. I got a couple of their stainless steel mandible cages for about £11 each and have been very happy. If you wanted a lighter option you could try their carbon ones.
Hawkwood

17 Jan 2012 13:45

ElChingon wrote:So lets hear it what's your best water bottle cage?

In other words a cage that does not dump your water bottle cage out regardless of ride conditions.

If you ever started a ride/race with 2 or 1 bottle and ended up with 1 or 0 bottles (assuming you didn't chuck it on purpose), they do not meet the standard for best water bottle cage and do not belong in this thread..

PS: This is based mainly on recent or actually all the time seeing people's water bottles flying across the road the moment any minor bump occurs, which is one of my pet peeves on rides with many people, who ever leaves their home and not make sure the bottles are snugly secure on the bike?

King cage....best there is

http://www.kingcage.com/
User avatar Bustedknuckle

17 Jan 2012 14:44

Cateye BC100 - http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/BC-100/

Definitely don't meet any styling requirements - but cheap, and absolutely indestructable. And because they're moulded plastic, they consistently grip a bidon tighter than a schoolboy gripping ... (I'll save the mods the effort of censoring the rest of that ...)

Based on El Chignon's criteria, these are the best cages by far - so much so that I have also used them on MTBs and the cross bike (when I do 3 hour off road training rides) and they've stood up to everything that you can throw at them. One of the BC100 cages I currently use is about 10 years old ...

A stylier alternative - provided you use Tacx bottles (or those of a similar dimension) - is the old trusty Tao: http://tacx2009.ilink2.nl/producten/bidonhouders/Bidonhouders/Tao_and_Tao_carbon.dot
kiwirider

17 Jan 2012 15:09

kiwirider wrote:Cateye BC100 - http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/BC-100/

Definitely don't meet any styling requirements - but cheap, and absolutely indestructable. And because they're moulded plastic, they consistently grip a bidon tighter than a schoolboy gripping ... (I'll save the mods the effort of censoring the rest of that ...)

Based on El Chignon's criteria, these are the best cages by far - so much so that I have also used them on MTBs and the cross bike (when I do 3 hour off road training rides) and they've stood up to everything that you can throw at them. One of the BC100 cages I currently use is about 10 years old ...

A stylier alternative - provided you use Tacx bottles (or those of a similar dimension) - is the old trusty Tao: http://tacx2009.ilink2.nl/producten/bidonhouders/Bidonhouders/Tao_and_Tao_carbon.dot

Yes they are ugly and cheap but they are very good. Good and pretty too? Arundle. Use them with 20ml bottles on the MTB too Solid hold even on rough trails. Great on the road bike too.
User avatar Master50

17 Jan 2012 17:54

Arundel bottle cages are excellent. I have the Arundel Dave-O, but the Mandible also gets rave reviews. Light and not so expensive (especially for a carbon cage), but your bottle will not come out of an Arundel bottle cage accidently.
"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill
User avatar elapid

18 Jan 2012 01:35

It is interesting the cat eye cages and the Arundle mandibles are the same weight. The much cheaper cages are about as good at holding a bottle as you could want but I still spend 5 or 6 times as much for the carbon. I did own Campy Record cages but they are fragile.
User avatar Master50

18 Jan 2012 02:42

Someone recommended the Elite Ciussi Gel when I was looking for new cages to go on my bike and they've never let me down in the 5 years I've used them. They seem to have just the right balance of grip to keep the bottle in place and enough "give" so that getting the bottle out doesn't become a wrestling match.

And the silver cages look pretty classy with my frame :cool:
Llewellyn

18 Jan 2012 04:53

Elite Patao.

I'll second the Trek Bat Cage endorsement too.
Jukebox

18 Jan 2012 11:54

Pains me to say it cuz I don't think much of the company, but I've used the cheap, light and cheerful Trek bat cages for yonks on both road and MTB.

They work well and I've never lost a bottle. Not as pretty as carbon wrap but that can be kinda wjanky anyway. Another plus is that they're pretty minimal, so if you have bottles you like with graphics, they don't scratch them up or put any of that metal gray all over your bottle like alloy ones do.
With all the changes you've been through, seems the stranger's always you
User avatar Stingray34

18 Jan 2012 22:47

With all these great water bottle holders, what are those people who are always dropping bottles using? Its as if they just drop out of the sky! Of course to roll and spin right in front of me... usually just aim for them as then they seem to always roll away, avoiding them seems to draw them straight to the front wheel.
User avatar ElChingon

Cateye

18 Jan 2012 23:06

Vote for the Cateye cage. I was turned onto them in early 90's. I'm glad they are still in production.
User avatar DirtyWorks

18 Jan 2012 23:24

Delta Inox cages .... I use them on road and off... never a hint of flying off. The design looks like it couldn't hold a thing... but looks here deceive ! Stainless steel.
http://www.deltacycle.com/Inox
lostintime

19 Jan 2012 14:05

lostintime wrote:Delta Inox cages .... I use them on road and off... never a hint of flying off. The design looks like it couldn't hold a thing... but looks here deceive ! Stainless steel.
http://www.deltacycle.com/Inox

Looks familiar

http://www.kingcage.com/assets/img/Cage3.jpg
User avatar Bustedknuckle

19 Jan 2012 19:41

Just got this free with a groupset

I don't really like the cages with the gap at the side, but I guess it'll be ok seeing as I forgot to take the Elite custom white cages off the bike I sold.
inthedrops.net

blackcat wrote:you must respect the Cobra, a man who can give himself his own nickname. he trancends hubris.
User avatar luckyboy

Next

Return to General