Register

Tennis is ridiculous

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

02 Feb 2014 11:15

For anyone interested here are some comments that highlight Murray's dramatic and hypocritical change in attitude to drug testing around the times of Operation Puerto and the Lance Armstrong scandal:

"I have been quite vocal about getting things improved and sorted and I think they are starting to take it seriously/I don't think it (the drug testing) was very good before. It was pretty useless".

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/other-sports/andy-murray-is-glad-that-drug-testers-have-stepped-up-action-8799294.html

Compared to his comments in 2009 calling for less tests:

"I just wish that out of competition drug testing was done in the off season and they just test us at every single tournament".

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2009/feb/10/andy-murray-drug-tests
User avatar Briant_Gumble

03 Feb 2014 05:28

Murray is an unusual case. He's been making all the right noises re: testing for a while now and seems a long way removed from his old stance and comments yet he's also beefed up his upper body a fair bit in that time too.

Having said that it has happened relatively gradually and may well be in response to Nadal's physique. I certainly wouldn't put my neck out for him but you never know.
How to ride like a Tour champion!

proof noun (SHOWING TRUTH)

B2 [C or U] a fact or piece of information that shows that something exists or is true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ritish/proof_1

evidence noun [U] uk /ˈev.ɪ.dəns/ us

B2 one or more reasons for believing that something is or is not true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...itish/evidence
User avatar 42x16ss

03 Feb 2014 05:38

Briant_Gumble wrote:Hewitt's criticism's aren't as strong as Murray's a couple of years back but anyone who criticises the drug testing in a sport with testing as inept as tennis is very suspicious.

The financial loss alone from every time he loses to Nadal would make calls for more stringent testing worth it.

In the middle of the match? Letting the locals get tested first? Sounded more like a calculated BS tactic to unsettle the opposing players to me.

Can you imagine stopping a TdF stage mid-race to do dope testing? I realise there are stoppages in tennis already, but this particular incident seems ridiculous to me.
Letters to and from the pro peloton. twitter | blog
User avatar Dear Wiggo

03 Feb 2014 08:00

I think there is some confusion here dear wiggo.

The Davis Cup as a whole is considered a "match", not the five individual matches. I think the testing was between the doubles (match 3) and the reverse singles (matches 4 and 5).

I dont think they stopped Hewitts match after the second set and asked him to pee in a cup ;)
“Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves Moriarty? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”
User avatar sittingbison

03 Feb 2014 09:44

Dear Wiggo wrote:In the middle of the match? Letting the locals get tested first? Sounded more like a calculated BS tactic to unsettle the opposing players to me.

Can you imagine stopping a TdF stage mid-race to do dope testing? I realise there are stoppages in tennis already, but this particular incident seems ridiculous to me.

Was it directly in the middle of the match or in the middle of the tie?

I thought it was in the middle of the tie as in on the second day of three at night time when usually they only test at the end of the third.

If it was one set all and they took them away to be tested that would be a legitimate grievance.
User avatar Briant_Gumble

03 Feb 2014 09:49

Briant_Gumble wrote:Was it directly in the middle of the match or in the middle of the tie?

I thought it was in the middle of the tie as in on the second day of three at night time when usually they only test at the end of the third.

If it was one set all and they took them away to be tested that would be a legitimate grievance.

Yes my misunderstanding. In which case, not ridiculous at all, given the recovery drugs etc around. Perhaps still somewhat aggravating given other things he says, but between days is meh.
Letters to and from the pro peloton. twitter | blog
User avatar Dear Wiggo

03 Feb 2014 11:30

:)Image
rogerg

05 Feb 2014 17:53

sittingbison wrote:I think there is some confusion here dear wiggo.

The Davis Cup as a whole is considered a "match", not the five individual matches. I think the testing was between the doubles (match 3) and the reverse singles (matches 4 and 5).

I dont think they stopped Hewitts match after the second set and asked him to pee in a cup ;)

In Davis Cup, countries play each other in a tie (a round) and the tie is composed of five matches, traditionally referred to as rubbers. Win three rubbers and you win the tie.
zebedee

05 Feb 2014 21:37

Then they take the rubber tie, wrap it round their arm and shoot up.
lilac harry quinn

Previous

Return to The Clinic