Register

2012 Vuelta. The Return of the King.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

31 Jul 2012 00:25

Dekker_Tifosi wrote::rolleyes: If Hesjedal can win the Giro, than Gesink can win a GT

The last four Grand Tours have been won by riders who were, on the face of it, riders people could quite confidently have said "he'll never win a GT" about! And not been regarded as idiots for saying it. Evans who had blown his chances and was older than any Tour winner. Hesjedal, who had never been a GT contender before. Wiggins, who spent most of his career in the grupetto. Cobo!

Gesink is absolutely capable of winning a GT. It's just that all of the stars must be correctly aligned. He needs a moderate to weak field, he needs his best form and he needs to stay on his bike. It may be that he never gets this, but if he does, he can win.
Zinoviev Letter

31 Jul 2012 00:43

Dekker_Tifosi wrote::rolleyes: If Hesjedal can win the Giro, than Gesink can win a GT

Did you forget his Vuelta 09 level? He wasn't 6th because he was only 6th strongest. He was 6th because he was 2nd strongest, arguable as strong as Valverde uphill, and had to finish the last mt stage + time trial with a giant hole in his knee... Back then he was just 23.

Gesink has the level to win a Giro or Vuelta when Contador/Schleck are absent.

Many people said for years that Evans would never win a grand tour or at least a Tour especially after 2009 and 2010. Gesink is a much better TT rider than Schleck and can do well in the mountains. At his best I think he could beat Schleck. The trouble is he is always riding wounded from falls etc....I don't remember anyone picking Hesjedal to win the Giro. He has always been a good rider and has a seventh place in the Tour.

I think if Gesink can get to a Giro without injuries or falls in the race, he can at least podium and if the route suits him, possibly win. Rodriguez is another who has never really performed in grand tours but his second in the last Giro was a great ride and he also rode a much better TT. They just need to be consistent over three weeks and often riders like Kreuziger and others can't manage it which is why they struggle to make the podium. I would never have picked the three riders on the podium in the last Giro but they showed it can be done. One solid season for Gesink without illness and bad luck is all he needs to get back on track and also help his confidence. Two years ago no one would have picked Wiggins to win the Tour either. Gesink is at least the equal of VDB and I thought he had a pretty good Tour. I know Gesink can improve but he has to start doing it soon with some of the younger riders also starting to improve.
movingtarget

31 Jul 2012 09:48

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Gesink has the level to win a Giro or Vuelta when Contador/Schleck are absent.

Like De Gendt & Van Den Broeck ;)

Or in the future Kelderman
Mogwai_

07 Aug 2012 10:11

Who will be this year's big surprise (like Froome last year, out of nothing)?
Paap85

07 Aug 2012 11:22

Paap85 wrote:Who will be this year's big surprise (like Froome last year, out of nothing)?

some young spanish guy, perhaps Landa?

Nothing like froome did last year ofc, but something like Pinot in this years tour would be great
"I know how to ride my bike" - Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
Vino attacks everyone

08 Aug 2012 06:10

Vino attacks everyone wrote:some young spanish guy, perhaps Landa?

Nothing like froome did last year ofc, but something like Pinot in this years tour would be great

Quintana is more likely, allthough for most of us that wouldn't really be a suprise.
For the more 'regular' cycling fans he will most definately be a suprise.
User avatar Kwibus

08 Aug 2012 14:06

Zinoviev Letter wrote:The last four Grand Tours have been won by riders who were, on the face of it, riders people could quite confidently have said "he'll never win a GT" about! And not been regarded as idiots for saying it. Evans who had blown his chances and was older than any Tour winner. Hesjedal, who had never been a GT contender before. Wiggins, who spent most of his career in the grupetto. Cobo!

Gesink is absolutely capable of winning a GT. It's just that all of the stars must be correctly aligned. He needs a moderate to weak field, he needs his best form and he needs to stay on his bike. It may be that he never gets this, but if he does, he can win.

So, Gesink can not win a GT by himself, he needs a lot of "if". And the most important, stay on his bike.. not in every crash that happen. with his bad luck.. he can start a GT alone and will not finish it.
ALBERTO CONTADOR, BANG BANG!
User avatar virandociclista

08 Aug 2012 14:29

Kwibus wrote:Quintana is more likely, allthough for most of us that wouldn't really be a suprise.
For the more 'regular' cycling fans he will most definately be a suprise.

yea, after dauphine I wouldn't really call him a big suprise if he was climbing with the very best
"I know how to ride my bike" - Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
Vino attacks everyone

09 Aug 2012 08:19

Saxo's Vuelta team: Alberto, Jesus, Dani, Paulinho, Tosatto, Pires, Noval, Majka, N. Sørensen
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

09 Aug 2012 08:37

That is a solid team. Bruno may prove to be the best of the lot.
Ferminal

09 Aug 2012 08:45

Didn't expect Bruno Pires, but the guy has top 20 finishes in both Dauphine and Poland, and is probably in good form. It will be interesting to see how much of a help Majka will be. Noval:eek:
Should lose some time in the TTT, but overall looking solid.
User avatar the asian

09 Aug 2012 08:57

Sky confirmed their line-up for the Vuelta:

Chris Froome, Juan Antonio Flecha, Sergio Henao, Danny Pate, Richie Porte, Ian Stannard, Ben Swift, Rigoberto Urán and Xabier Zandio.
CasperVg

09 Aug 2012 09:05

the asian wrote:Didn't expect Bruno Pires, but the guy has top 20 finishes in both Dauphine and Poland, and is probably in good form. It will be interesting to see how much of a help Majka will be. Noval:eek:
Should lose some time in the TTT, but overall looking solid.

So disappointed about Noval. They really should get in Mørkøv instead. He can do all that Noval can (which is not much) and so much more (better at positioning him and Bertie in the peloton, wont get dropped on cat 4 climbs, and does a really good TTT)
User avatar Cimber

09 Aug 2012 09:06

CasperVg wrote:Sky confirmed their line-up for the Vuelta:

Chris Froome, Juan Antonio Flecha, Sergio Henao, Danny Pate, Richie Porte, Ian Stannard, Ben Swift, Rigoberto Urán and Xabier Zandio.

They will take 40-50 secs on SBTB on the TTT... and they will surely need that time for later on ;)
User avatar Cimber

09 Aug 2012 09:08

Cimber wrote:So disappointed about Noval. They really should get in Mørkøv instead. He can do all that Noval can (which is not much) and so much more (better at positioning him and Bertie in the peloton, wont get dropped on cat 4 climbs, and does a really good TTT)

Morkov may have been dropped because he participated in the Track at the Olympics.
User avatar the asian

09 Aug 2012 09:12

the asian wrote:Morkov may have been dropped because he participated in the Track at the Olympics.

Or cos he has a high personal aim of winning Tour the Denmark which takes place during the Vuelta. Or maybe Bertie just badly wanted his three amigos to all be there at his site (for the first 100km at least, before his amigo el gordo get dropped like a stone)
User avatar Cimber

09 Aug 2012 09:17

Cimber wrote:They will take 40-50 secs on SBTB on the TTT... and they will surely need that time for later on ;)

TTT times don't count for G.C.
that stage will also count for stage win. times will be taken from the first road stage on.
pastronef

09 Aug 2012 09:17

Mørkøv instead of Noval? Doesn't really make much sense to me (as much as i like Mr. Mørkøv's exploits on a bike). MM is an attacking rider and that worked perfectly in the Tour where SBTB had no GC ambitions, but now with El Emperador back in the fold all the team will be focused on protecting the afore mentioned GC man. So in a way i'd rather see a boring, unremarkable rider like Noval doing his sheepherder duties in the Vuelta than seeing MM wasting himself in the same way.
Broom wagon legend.
User avatar metaCYCLE

09 Aug 2012 09:24

CasperVg wrote:Sky confirmed their line-up for the Vuelta:

jezuz what a team !
rigo and sergio will bring a lot of pain in this vuelta,i hope sergio can go for a top 5 himself.

pastronef wrote:TTT times don't count for G.C.
that stage will also count for stage win. times will be taken from the first road stage on.

who said that?wasn't just a bad translation?otherwise it would be one of the most ridiculous things i've heard,just scratch the stage and that's it.
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks

09 Aug 2012 09:27

pastronef wrote:TTT times don't count for G.C.

They do.
metaCYCLE wrote:Mørkøv instead of Noval? Doesn't really make much sense to me (as much as i like Mr. Mørkøv's exploits on a bike). MM is an attacking rider and that worked perfectly in the Tour where SBTB had no GC ambitions, but now with El Emperador back in the fold all the team will be focused on protecting the afore mentioned GC man. So in a way i'd rather see a boring, unremarkable rider like Noval doing his sheepherder duties in the Vuelta than seeing MM wasting himself in the same way.

Noval sucks at shepherding duties and doesn't contribute to a TTT. Morkov being a pursuiter should be a strong in the flat and contribute strongly to the TTT.
User avatar the asian

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing