Register

BMC in disarray?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

14 Apr 2012 09:33

Machu Picchu wrote:Yes, it's more likely to be one of those two things than something simple like a lack of proper preparation over the winter. :rolleyes:

Gilbert isn't someone who'd **** that up.
User avatar Panda Claws

14 Apr 2012 09:34

thehog wrote:Oh god. Why don't we apply the same rules as us mere mortals?

Last time I had tooth problems I took one hour off work got it fixed & job done.

Gilbert is making sh1t up.

Gilbert only had treatment mid March - gah!

Boonen at the Tour had his teeth done in the bus and fronted the next day. Man. Gilbert = girl.

Have you actually had a tooth infection though? Or other tooth problems? Because tooth infections ****ing suck.
User avatar Panda Claws

14 Apr 2012 09:37

Panda Claws wrote:Gilbert isn't someone who'd **** that up.

suddenly a twitt from david millar comes to mind.something like "finally phil signed a fat contract and now he will stop to make us look ridiculous in every race he enters"
so yeah i guess unfortunately he calmed down,let it slow.anyway in the last part of the season he will be again a monster i'm sure.my biggest disappointment won't be the ardennes but there were ronde and san remo.maybe next year...
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks

14 Apr 2012 09:45

Panda Claws wrote:Gilbert isn't someone who'd **** that up.

After the success he had last year and the new BigMoneyContract who could blame him?

The physical & mental drain must take it's toll, add to that the distractions, the stress of having to do it all again, the fact that he's achieved so much and knows he's unlikely to repeat such success?
User avatar Machu Picchu

14 Apr 2012 10:01

"Above all I want to get a result on the bike before saying what it might be.”

I like the fact that he doesn't come up with stupid excuses. Just says that he doesn't have it like last year. Respectable I would say.

He rode basically everything last year and always with a tremendous level. That must have been really hard on him.

Still, his season will be largely judged by the Worlds. Obviously it would have been better if he was at his level right now but if he wins the worlds, none of that matters really.
User avatar trevim

14 Apr 2012 11:43

Gloin22 wrote:http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/11617/More-bad-luck-for-Cummings-with-confirmation-of-second-fractures-this-season.aspx

Cummings suffers second fracture again. Very bad luck. No Amstel and possibly no FW and LBL too.

More bad luck for Cummings and BMC. If I was Evans I would avoid stepping on cracks and walking under ladders !
movingtarget

14 Apr 2012 12:02

Machu Picchu wrote:Yes, it's more likely to be one of those two things than something simple like a lack of proper preparation over the winter. :rolleyes:

This is what fellow Monegasque Steegmans suggested that as well. I'm sure the tooth problems played some part, but his shape the entire season so far has just been too poor to be explained by that. He was bad before the tooth infection, and even weeks after the infection he is still in poorer shape than he has been in the past seasons. If it was just that you would have expected him to be much better by now.
Lanark

14 Apr 2012 12:51

The fact that multiple sources reported that he was too heavy (even read "fat" once) suggests that he indeed didn't enjoy his best winter preparation ever.
User avatar Arnout

14 Apr 2012 14:56

Last time I had tooth problems I took one hour off work got it fixed & job done.

Boonen at the Tour had his teeth done in the bus and fronted the next day. Man. Gilbert = girl.

Lol you are the one who does not know ****:rolleyes: I really wonder how bad your tooth problems were.
User avatar dlwssonic

14 Apr 2012 15:05

barn yard

14 Apr 2012 15:52

dlwssonic wrote:Lol you are the one who does not know ****:rolleyes: I really wonder how bad your tooth problems were.

Has Gilbert made a false teeth claim?:D
Is there a dentist in the house?

My own experience of a infection is that first comes a course of anti-biotic to clear it up, before treatment can commence.
In the meantime, you live off pain killers and sleep can be effected.

However, assuming Phil can afford first class treatment, a decent dentist should have had it sorted within a ten days to a fortnight.

I honestly believe that a few Gilbert/BMC fans, given their major signings expected him to surpass last year's even last year's dominance.

What has happened is that once again, instead of investing in bright young potential, BMC bought a number of last year's models with a lot of miles on the clock and badly in need of a major service.
Mellow Velo

14 Apr 2012 15:58

Mellow Velo wrote:Has Gilbert made a false teeth claim?:D
Is there a dentist in the house?

My own experience of a infection is that first comes a course of anti-biotic to clear it up, before treatment can commence.
In the meantime, you live off pain killers and sleep can be effected.

However, assuming Phil can afford first class treatment, a decent dentist should have had it sorted within a ten days to a fortnight.

I honestly believe that a few Gilbert/BMC fans, given their major signings expected him to surpass last year's even last year's dominance.

What has happened is that once again, instead of investing in bright young potential, BMC bought a number of last year's models with a lot of miles on the clock and badly in need of a major service.

Yeah, I still remember a few threads made in 2011 about Boonen saying the exact same thing as you are now ;)
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

14 Apr 2012 16:44

It depends what he actually means by tooth "infection". If it's just a bog standard tooth ache then having constant pain during a race would affect his performance along with lack of sleep etc etc. However getting a root canal treatment started would mean it only takes a few days for pain relief although possibly 7-10 days before the treatment is actually finished.

If it is an actual infection then he must have had either an abcess, which requires the same treatment as a tooth ache but possibly with some antibiotics to help it along and again pain relief takes a few days with the whole treatment taking up to 2 weeks (normally 2/3 appointments). Another type of infection is an infection around a wisdom tooth however antibiotics tend to fix that quite quickly.

It is possible that strenuous exercise could prevent the treatment from working but i'd be surprised.

I'm a dentist but it's hard to say for certain what he means by "tooth infection" and i haven't read the initial article so can't really say for certain but sounds like a bit of an excuse to me.

Also, a cyclist eats highly cariogenic sugar gels throughout the day when racing or training and therefore as a profession they probably have pretty bad teeth. If they don't get their teeth checked regularly then it's their own fault if their teeth ever give them problems.
williamp78

14 Apr 2012 21:09

Yay!
A reply from a real dentist! :D

I was thinking about how often the 'tooth problems' come up with so many riders...but while their dental hygiene may be problematic they must have access to excellent care. :)....or so one would think.
craig walsh always with us
User avatar mewmewmew13

14 Apr 2012 21:20

mewmewmew13 wrote:Yay!
A reply from a real dentist! :D

I was thinking about how often the 'tooth problems' come up with so many riders...but while their dental hygiene may be problematic they must have access to excellent care. :)....or so one would think.

Isn't it just.
WP78 confirms my own experience. Root canal, exact same time scale.

I see El P managed to completely miss my metaphor.
Surprised at a self professed creature of learning.

Are there any Belgian higher education lecturer types in the house?;)
Mellow Velo

14 Apr 2012 21:22

williamp78 wrote:It depends what he actually means by tooth "infection". If it's just a bog standard tooth ache then having constant pain during a race would affect his performance along with lack of sleep etc etc. However getting a root canal treatment started would mean it only takes a few days for pain relief although possibly 7-10 days before the treatment is actually finished.

If it is an actual infection then he must have had either an abcess, which requires the same treatment as a tooth ache but possibly with some antibiotics to help it along and again pain relief takes a few days with the whole treatment taking up to 2 weeks (normally 2/3 appointments). Another type of infection is an infection around a wisdom tooth however antibiotics tend to fix that quite quickly.

It is possible that strenuous exercise could prevent the treatment from working but i'd be surprised.

I'm a dentist but it's hard to say for certain what he means by "tooth infection" and i haven't read the initial article so can't really say for certain but sounds like a bit of an excuse to me.

Also, a cyclist eats highly cariogenic sugar gels throughout the day when racing or training and therefore as a profession they probably have pretty bad teeth. If they don't get their teeth checked regularly then it's their own fault if their teeth ever give them problems.

But what if the infection prevents him from training and that way ****s up his preparation.
"It is going to be very scary." - Tom Boonen*
User avatar Panda Claws

15 Apr 2012 00:00

I would say that he would only miss a few days of training. At most a week. I don't see how missing a weeks training could have had such a marked affect on his season so far. Put it this way; whenever i see a patient with a big abcess (i'm talking visible swelling that anyone in the street could see) they more often than not head back to work after i see them. Obviously they're not professional cyclists but i still sense an excuse.

Though i have to reaffirm that i don't know what problems he has had. Also, i remember reading all the stuff about cavendish last year (or was it two years ago?) trying to work out what treatment he had and what went wrong but i still haven't found out. I assumed it was his wisdom teeth but he tweeted that he got those out this week while off on paternity
williamp78

15 Apr 2012 00:20

Ah ha! the mystery of why Gilbert's form sucks so much is solved.
User avatar Afrank

15 Apr 2012 00:21

It may well have affected his training ....

but would also would have affected his eating ... and 2-3 weeks of not being able to train/eat properly can certainly take the power out of you after 200kms

Earlier (before the tooth problems) he was just not peaked yet, then had a fever in Tirreno and a crash at MSR.

Just a few things adding up for him this year. He will be back.
User avatar AussieGoddess

15 Apr 2012 01:54

In his defense, unless your work is a comparable endurance sport I don't see the connection. Also it never stopped him from doing his job, it just hindered how well he did it.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing