Register

BMC in disarray?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

18 Jul 2013 02:25

Evans podiumed at the Giro. Riding the double is difficult for any rider, especially when the Tour field includes a focussed Froome, Contador, Quintana, and many others.

Van Garderen peaked well for the ToC and his result shows that. A double peak is difficult for a GC rider.

I think their failure to achieve Tour success this year stems from trying ro do too much against a very strong field.

The teams that have been doing well in the Tour this year have had a singular focus and - as always - a bit of good luck.
TheBean

18 Jul 2013 02:29

IndianCyclist wrote:I think they are in disarray. Gilbert's mutterings about TJVG & Evans. Then the team's sudden change of plans. All points to the fact that they are unable to strategise at all and are grasping at straws

When your big guns cant perform, you change plans. But disarray? I'm sure the team bus is still tidy.
dgodave

18 Jul 2013 02:38

I think there is a certain amount of disarray within the team and that is coming from a BMC fan like myself. To be honest, with what happened to Evans last year and having almost 6 months off the bike and nearly 9 months without competition, it was always going to be difficult for him to come back this year to his normal level. His performance in the Giro was quite impressive considering the circumstances beforehand.

Van Garderen's performance is odd but I think it is clear that he peaked too soon at the ATOC. I still don't rate him that highly tbh and I doubt he would have done much against this field on this course. It is going to be hard for him to try to peak for an important race for him, being the Tour of California and then want to do well at the Tour. I think he may have to rethink the planning of those two races in the future and what he wants to target.

Gilbert is the real disappointment and does not really have many excuses. Yes, he has been injured but his performances have still been woeful. It is a bit rich for him to expect team support on some of these stages when a) The Tour was always for BMC to be behind Evans not Gilbert and b) Gilbert has simply not performed during the year to even deserve a spot on the team let alone be a leader at the Tour. Hushovd should have been in the Tour squad, even if his performances have not been that great either.

What I do not understand is why BMC is not resigning two riders who have shown a lot of promise this year, Frank and Santaromita. Surely money would not be the issue so why would two talented riders be given the chop? BMC needs a big shake up and I hope they can turn things around for the rest of the season.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94

18 Jul 2013 04:35

No one wants to ride with cuddles simple.
User avatar Boeing

18 Jul 2013 06:37

dgodave wrote:When your big guns cant perform, you change plans. But disarray? I'm sure the team bus is still tidy.

Look at the way Movistar responded and then BMC. For change of plans they needed to change them long back just after Ax3. Gilbert then would have got some more chances for a stage win. Now we have a situation where there are only mountain stages and too many climbers wanting glory. What is TJVG doing a good TT in stage 17?
It was very evident from Evans performances that he was not going to be competitive after a tiring Giro. TJVG performance in TDS was not good. Frank's was good but they did not select him.
IndianCyclist

18 Jul 2013 06:54

Boeing wrote:No one wants to ride with cuddles simple.

That simply is not the problem though at BMC. It was at Lotto, excluding Horner, but I don't think it is now. Gilbert is just ****ed off because he is self-centred more than any procyclist. The atmosphere in a team is always pretty **** when you perform well below expectation.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94

18 Jul 2013 07:34

auscyclefan94 wrote:That simply is not the problem though at BMC. It was at Lotto, excluding Horner, but I don't think it is now. Gilbert is just ****ed off because he is self-centred more than any procyclist. The atmosphere in a team is always pretty **** when you perform well below expectation.

Gilbert has contributed nothing in the Tour. He has not got the form to win anyway and he has been getting dropped early on most stages. The team rode well in the Ardennes but he could not finish off the races. He must be getting big money to re-sign for two years because I thought he would surely change teams. They were a happy team at the 2011 Tour and even at this year's Giro. Evans will never be like Froome or Contador within the team but it is garbage that no one wants to ride with him. The Giro was a good result for him but it was a mistake to put him in the Tour. He said himself that he was really tired after the race and he would have been better off riding the Vuelta and getting ready for the worlds on a course which suits him. Like you said, lack of results makes teams edgy
movingtarget

18 Jul 2013 09:34

movingtarget wrote:Gilbert has contributed nothing in the Tour. He has not got the form to win anyway and he has been getting dropped early on most stages. The team rode well in the Ardennes but he could not finish off the races. He must be getting big money to re-sign for two years because I thought he would surely change teams. They were a happy team at the 2011 Tour and even at this year's Giro. Evans will never be like Froome or Contador within the team but it is garbage that no one wants to ride with him. The Giro was a good result for him but it was a mistake to put him in the Tour. He said himself that he was really tired after the race and he would have been better off riding the Vuelta and getting ready for the worlds on a course which suits him. Like you said, lack of results makes teams edgy

But this is more of the team management's fault than the riders. Giving Gilbert a freer role and making TJVG the sole leader with Evans doing the Vuelta would be pretty good strategy. Now all this has given the other riders is some excuses to blame it all on Evans because they were working for him and not given their chances. My sympathies are with Evans.
IndianCyclist

18 Jul 2013 10:14

IndianCyclist wrote:But this is more of the team management's fault than the riders. Giving Gilbert a freer role and making TJVG the sole leader with Evans doing the Vuelta would be pretty good strategy. Now all this has given the other riders is some excuses to blame it all on Evans because they were working for him and not given their chances. My sympathies are with Evans.

I don't think that changing the roles would have made a difference for Tejay and Gilbert. When they have tried something it still failed. Tejay's best stage was the second TT and Gilbert was eighth on the Gap stage. No one in the BMC has winning form at the Tour and their best chance was always going to be with Evans and it did not work so far. There seems to be no in between with Evans. People either like him or hate him if the fans are anything to go by.
movingtarget

Previous

Return to Professional road racing