Log in:  

Register

Funds lacking for Pais Vasco and San Sebastian

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Will they survive?

Poll ended at 04 Mar 2012 22:25

Yes they will get the funds
22
67%
No they will get the funds
11
33%
 
Total votes : 33

Funds lacking for Pais Vasco and San Sebastian

26 Feb 2012 22:18

User avatar SHAD0W93
Junior Member
 
Posts: 184
Joined: 13 Aug 2011 03:50

26 Feb 2012 22:23

Would be disastorous, first these Asian races come in to the WT and then these races leave... if i was the UCI I would watch out
User avatar Froome19
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,119
Joined: 30 Dec 2011 13:34
Location: London

26 Feb 2012 22:31

Froome19 wrote:Would be disastorous, first these Asian races come in to the WT and then these races leave... if i was the UCI I would watch out


The UCI have no intention of watching out. This is exactly what they want. Who cares about fans, riders, prestige or actual entertainment when you've got government money to make in the name of globalisation? After all, the UCI's own race-organising body runs those Asian races; they don't run País Vasco or San Sebastián. So for the UCI this is win-win, because it opens up some slots on the calendar for them to run their own events against the historic events (and make them WT so the top teams have to attend, weakening the traditional events), and also strengthens their stranglehold on the sport's World calendar, by getting rid of some of those pesky races that aren't under their control.

As long as the UCI is able to decide on what is and isn't World Tour and also has its own racing organisational body, then conflict of interests will continue, and McQuaid won't be happy until he's killed the sport in backwater, boring countries like Spain, France, Belgium and Italy in favour of "emerging markets" (read: places with lots of money, but that don't give a damn about cycling).

Issoisso said that if this all happens, they could well turn their back on the sport full stop. I can't say that the same wouldn't cross my mind.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,328
Joined: 20 Feb 2010 11:54
Location: Land of Saíz

26 Feb 2012 22:35

Que breakaway league.......
User avatar thehog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,686
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 20:00

26 Feb 2012 22:37

very sad, what ever happened to the breakaway league, I had such high hopes for that. If the UCI had any sense at all they would stop trying to create races in china and put the funds towards preserving the good races we have.

And shouldn't the second option in the poll be "No they won't get the funds"?
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,240
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

26 Feb 2012 22:43

Libertine Seguros wrote:The UCI have no intention of watching out. This is exactly what they want. Who cares about fans, riders, prestige or actual entertainment when you've got government money to make in the name of globalisation? After all, the UCI's own race-organising body runs those Asian races; they don't run País Vasco or San Sebastián. So for the UCI this is win-win, because it opens up some slots on the calendar for them to run their own events against the historic events (and make them WT so the top teams have to attend, weakening the traditional events), and also strengthens their stranglehold on the sport's World calendar, by getting rid of some of those pesky races that aren't under their control.

As long as the UCI is able to decide on what is and isn't World Tour and also has its own racing organisational body, then conflict of interests will continue, and McQuaid won't be happy until he's killed the sport in backwater, boring countries like Spain, France, Belgium and Italy in favour of "emerging markets" (read: places with lots of money, but that don't give a damn about cycling).

Issoisso said that if this all happens, they could well turn their back on the sport full stop. I can't say that the same wouldn't cross my mind.


What I meant was that the pesky oppostion to the UCI may just be gaining some support if things carry along on this trajectory
User avatar Froome19
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,119
Joined: 30 Dec 2011 13:34
Location: London

26 Feb 2012 22:51

Am I missing something, what's with the poll?
User avatar will10
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,013
Joined: 27 Dec 2010 14:08

26 Feb 2012 22:53

in a right world UCI would be helping these races, rather then organizing new ones. just a joke. :(
RIP Craig, you'll be missed friend.
User avatar Timmy-loves-Rabo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,442
Joined: 22 Jun 2009 13:44
Location: Melbourne

26 Feb 2012 22:55

Not sure what a "breakaway league' could do to help Spanish economic woes. Or what the UCI could do for that matter.

BTW, I live in a very culturally diverse biking area, and many of my "asian" customers are very big cycling fans. Just saying. Diversity is good financially too.
User avatar Polish
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,827
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 19:30

26 Feb 2012 23:04

Timmy-loves-Rabo wrote:in a right world UCI would be helping these races, rather then organizing new ones. just a joke. :(


And where is the UCI going to get the money to do this?

People seem to want the UCI to spend money, but have objections to them earning it.
Mambo95
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,310
Joined: 02 Jul 2009 10:37

26 Feb 2012 23:09

Afrank wrote:very sad, what ever happened to the breakaway league, I had such high hopes for that. If the UCI had any sense at all they would stop trying to create races in china and put the funds towards preserving the good races we have.

And shouldn't the second option in the poll be "No they won't get the funds"?


I was changing the stuff around in the polls trying to figure out what to put and forgot to proof read.
User avatar SHAD0W93
Junior Member
 
Posts: 184
Joined: 13 Aug 2011 03:50

26 Feb 2012 23:09

Mambo95 wrote:And where is the UCI going to get the money to do this?

People seem to want the UCI to spend money, but have objections to them earning it.


Well they have these asian races for primary reasons of income, let's not beat around the bush. Sometimes using an ORGs funds to bail out an important race or team (i speaking other sports in this manner) is necessary. You see it with other organizations, UCI are a bunch of monekys however, and it is hard to believe they do what is best for the sport.
RIP Craig, you'll be missed friend.
User avatar Timmy-loves-Rabo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,442
Joined: 22 Jun 2009 13:44
Location: Melbourne

26 Feb 2012 23:16

Polish wrote:BTW, I live in a very culturally diverse biking area, and many of my "asian" customers are very big cycling fans. Just saying. Diversity is good financially too.


No one is saying that diversity is bad, but when the UCI creates races in china instead of helping to preserve cyclings historic races, then that is bad.
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,240
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

26 Feb 2012 23:24

If cycling is not careful, it will go the way of Formula 1, which let historical Grand Prix in Holland, France and Austria die in favour of bland tracks in Bahrain, Shanghai, Abu Dhabi. Drivers rarely race on the same circuits that their heroes raced on.
You can broaden international appeal without destroying a sport's history, which is essentially a European history.
Football playing kids in Vancouver, Kuala Lampur and Beijing alike dream of playing at San Siro or Old Trafford or Camp Nou. Their bicycle riding neighbours want to ride where the historical greats rode, in the Pyrennes, the Alps and on the Flemish cobbles.
User avatar Orvieto
Junior Member
 
Posts: 119
Joined: 01 Feb 2011 02:38

26 Feb 2012 23:29

Mambo95 wrote:And where is the UCI going to get the money to do this?

People seem to want the UCI to spend money, but have objections to them earning it.


In the General News thread:
luckyboy wrote:That fee paid to the UCI seems really excessive. I wonder how much GCP pays to the UCI for their races to be part of the WorldTour?

The UCI's reserve fund, which can be used 'to support a UCI ProTeam or the organiser of a UCI WorldTour event in the event of temporary
difficulty' (see rule 2.15.245). They gave money to the organisers of GP Ouest-France last year to help it keep going. If they can save that race that I doubt many fans are that passionate about (or are even aware of, especially in comparison to these Basque races), then I'm sure they could stump up the €150,000 to Organizaciones Ciclistas Euskadi.

Especially seeing as their reserve fund was €3,888,501 at the end of 2009 (page 6) and €3,053,549 at the end of 2010 (page 5).


So there's something like €3m in the reserve fund (I don't expect it cost €3m to run Plouay).

Sure they can run these crappy flyaway races in China, if it supplements keeping alive those historic races. I'll happily take the Tour of Hangzhou if it will keep País Vasco alive. But it shouldn't be an "instead of" option.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,328
Joined: 20 Feb 2010 11:54
Location: Land of Saíz

26 Feb 2012 23:32

Orvieto wrote:If cycling is not careful, it will go the way of Formula 1, which let historical Grand Prix in Holland, France and Austria die in favour of bland tracks in Bahrain, Shanghai, Abu Dhabi. Drivers rarely race on the same circuits that their heroes raced on.
You can broaden international appeal without destroying a sport's history, which is essentially a European history.
Football playing kids in Vancouver, Kuala Lampur and Beijing alike dream of playing at San Siro or Old Trafford or Camp Nou. Their bicycle riding neighbours want to ride where the historical greats rode, in the Pyrennes, the Alps and on the Flemish cobbles.


The thing is, cycling is like sportscars. Every other year a fight breaks out between the FIA and the ACO, because the FIA want to own everything, and the ACO own Le Mans, and everybody wants to go to Le Mans. The FIA has its own series, but its regulations are hamstrung by having to be close enough to ACO ones to attract teams who want to race at Le Mans.

The UCI has hit on an ingenious solution to this, by having its own World Championships, but having its own conflict of interest body that enables it to line its own pockets whilst simultaneously strangling those races that are organised by non-UCI people.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,328
Joined: 20 Feb 2010 11:54
Location: Land of Saíz

26 Feb 2012 23:50

Libertine Seguros wrote:So there's something like €3m in the reserve fund (I don't expect it cost €3m to run Plouay).


3m isn't very much, particularly when they have to keep paying for lawyers to go to CAS.

I dare say they can bail these races out and they probably will do. But you can only prop up loss making ventures so long without bankrupting yourself if you don't open up new revenue streams.

Tradition and history doesn't get the bills paid. China does.
Mambo95
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,310
Joined: 02 Jul 2009 10:37

26 Feb 2012 23:54

It does? No fans, I wonder how long these races will last :)

Perhaps when the Chinese government realizes people in the Western world aren't as easily manipulated as their Chinese counterparts these races will vanish into thin air again.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

27 Feb 2012 06:36

i don't know how much time this countries will exist,not the races..
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,443
Joined: 08 Sep 2009 18:00

27 Feb 2012 09:08

The 700K euro World Tour license that is being banded about seems excessive,is this for 1 year 10 years anyone confirm this.
On a wider point its pretty clear the F1 comparisons are right, his Heinousness and his right hand man McQuaid want to be the Bernie Ecclestones of cycling ie getting rich.
User avatar User Guide
Junior Member
 
Posts: 703
Joined: 21 May 2010 15:31
Location: not there,here

Next

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Brundd, cineteq, Dekker_Tifosi, Jagartrott, MatParker117, mc_mountain, Pierrot le Fou, SlickMongoose, TommyGun and 115 guests

Back to top