Register

Disc Brakes on a C59

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

09 Mar 2012 23:57

42x16ss wrote:Are you sure about that? The more aggressive you are on a technical descent the harder and more often you will need to brake. Think about it.

The pro's will probably be very keen to try D-brakes out, just wait and see.

I was actually trying to be facetious. Can get lost in translation in written form
PCutter

10 Mar 2012 02:33

k_gibbo wrote:I don't think disk breaks are for me... More weight + less aerodynamic are not very appealing to me. I do wonder if rims may get lighter with no need for a breaking surface??? If that is the case it may help to balance some aspects of performance.

The weight difference between a rim brake set up and a disk set up is roughly 120g. This includes the caliper, rotor, post mounts, and extra material on the stays and fork. That's nothing!!! It's half of what a Power Tap system adds to the weight of a bike. It's pretty much a wash anyway if you think about it, that 120g you gain in the static weight of parts is deleted by lighter rims, dynamic weight were it really matters. Less aero, how? I'm actually willing to bet that a d-brake set up is actually slightly more aero than a rim brake, but I'm sure the difference is almost not even worth mentioning, like the aero difference from one 58mm deep wheel to the next.
“I was a bandit. If Boonen is the God of Belgian cycling, then I’m the Devil."
[SIZE="2"]~Roger De Vlaeminck[/SIZE]
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

10 Mar 2012 03:09

RDV4ROUBAIX wrote:The weight difference between a rim brake set up and a disk set up is roughly 120g. This includes the caliper, rotor, post mounts, and extra material on the stays and fork. That's nothing!!! It's half of what a Power Tap system adds to the weight of a bike. It's pretty much a wash anyway if you think about it, that 120g you gain in the static weight of parts is deleted by lighter rims, dynamic weight were it really matters. Less aero, how? I'm actually willing to bet that a d-brake set up is actually slightly more aero than a rim brake, but I'm sure the difference is almost not even worth mentioning, like the aero difference from one 58mm deep wheel to the next.

I wouldn't be willing to bet anything on aero, aero is fickle, what seems aero may not be when you stick it in a wind tunnel. I could safely assume the differences are very small and with redesign would become nothing.
karlboss

10 Mar 2012 03:23

karlboss wrote:I wouldn't be willing to bet anything on aero, aero is fickle, what seems aero may not be when you stick it in a wind tunnel. I could safely assume the differences are very small and with redesign would become nothing.

I would. All the components that make up a disk brake is centered around the axle, slung low, rim brakes sit much higher, and I would bet that the absence of rim brakes would give it a better frontal aerodynamic signature around the fork crown and head tube, slight as it may be. Rider position is the biggest factor, and you're right, everything else is small in comparison.
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

10 Mar 2012 14:30

The SRAM Hydro Road Lever pic leaked looks a lot like the old Mavic Electric hood.
User avatar Boeing

10 Mar 2012 18:10

RDV4ROUBAIX wrote:The weight difference between a rim brake set up and a disk set up is roughly 120g. This includes the caliper, rotor, post mounts, and extra material on the stays and fork. That's nothing!!! It's half of what a Power Tap system adds to the weight of a bike. It's pretty much a wash anyway if you think about it, that 120g you gain in the static weight of parts is deleted by lighter rims, dynamic weight were it really matters. Less aero, how? I'm actually willing to bet that a d-brake set up is actually slightly more aero than a rim brake, but I'm sure the difference is almost not even worth mentioning, like the aero difference from one 58mm deep wheel to the next.

I am so bad with remembering where I read things. Disks are not aero form some test but I understand that Cervelo is supposed to be doing some aero testing on **** brake systems soon.
User avatar Master50

10 Mar 2012 22:36

whatvever...i want one.:D
User avatar usedtobefast

11 Mar 2012 03:20

now how about ABS? :)
User avatar Kimono

11 Mar 2012 04:31

Master50 wrote:I am so bad with remembering where I read things. Disks are not aero form some test but I understand that Cervelo is supposed to be doing some aero testing on **** brake systems soon.

I'd rather have an independent company doing the aero testing. Cervelo's claims on anything to do with cycling holds about as much cache with me as Monsanto telling us what's good to eat.
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

12 Mar 2012 16:29

i have rode disc brake road bikes since 2007 n1 planet x uncle john used bb5 cable must have done 4000+ miles and only 2 sets pads and by the way i ride in derbyshire.sold this now

n2 bike steel frame bike, made frame my self 853 reynolds bb7 road. rear disc mount between chain and seat stays where it needs to be.built 2009

n3 bike on-one dirty disco built jan this year bb7 mountain bike.

rode suffolk 100 last year on n2,1st time i had rode with large groups,this made me realise how much faster i could stop than those with rim brakes.

think off newtons 3rd law,then look at where disc and rim brakes are mounted.
drawkrb

12 Mar 2012 17:28

drawkrb wrote:i have rode disc brake road bikes since 2007 no1 planet x uncle john used bb5 cable must have done 4000+ miles and only 2 sets pads and by the way i ride in derbyshire.sold this now
no2 bike steel frame bike, made frame my self 853 reynolds bb7 road. rear disc mount between chain and seat stays where it needs to be.built 2009
no3 bike on-one dirty disco built jan this year bb7 mountain bike.
road suffolk 100 last year on no 2 1st time i had road with large groups,this made me realise how much faster i could stop than those with rim brakes.
think off newtons 3rd law,then look at where disc and rim brakes are mounted.

Can anyone decipher this or is it just me?
richwagmn

12 Mar 2012 17:37

richwagmn wrote:Can anyone decipher this or is it just me?

+1. I think they are saying disc brakes are good on road bikes! :D
"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill
User avatar elapid

12 Mar 2012 20:52

Almost unreadable
drawkrb wrote:think off newtons 3rd law,then look at where disc and rim brakes are mounted.

Err, Think of the wheel as a large disk with a greater lever ratio:p
User avatar Notso Swift

12 Mar 2012 20:58

Whatever indeed I just want one and am especially glad a Company like Colnago took a leap before Specialized or Trek and Giant.
User avatar Boeing

12 Mar 2012 23:37

RDV4ROUBAIX wrote:I'd rather have an independent company doing the aero testing. Cervelo's claims on anything to do with cycling holds about as much cache with me as Monsanto telling us what's good to eat.

Good point about the marketing. I have read that disk brakes are not aero but they are small too? I have seen a few more shots of the bike and a bit of video too. Still would pick different colours but deep section carbon wheels and that frame with the Campy electric group and I'd be in Italian heaven!

I didn't think I'd need a new bike so soon? Actually I would rather have the CX bike first. I will wait for hydraulic road levers from Campy or Shimano before I try. Thinking Ultegra for CX?
User avatar Master50

14 Mar 2012 05:03

Master50 wrote:I will wait for hydraulic road levers from Campy or Shimano before I try. Thinking Ultegra for CX?

Formula actually make great brakes, better than Shimano until 2012 model year XTR, IMO. If the shape of the hoods appeals, I see no reason to wait for Shimano to release their lever unless you're hoping for hydraulic brake & cable operated gears (as I am).

Campy hydraulics on the other hand are completely untested waters (pun intended), I wouldn't want to be an early adopter.
dsut4392

09 Apr 2012 05:38

I bought a Volagi Liscio in December and dragged it back to Australia. It has disc brakes (BB7) and is designed as an endurance road bike with "sprung" seat stays that attach to the top tube forward of the seat tube. It is much more comfortable than the Giant Defy it replaced for me, and the dependability of its stopping in the wet makes it much more fun to ride. I can't wait to upgrade fit to hydraulics. I have been spoilt on my MTB with 2012 XTR brakes and want similarly dependable stopping on the road bike too.

I am amazed the there are some out there who aren't interested in allowing those who want discs to have them, and seem determined to shout down those that do want them. If you don't like them, DONT BUY THEM...
Critter

20 Apr 2012 20:03

The march towards disc brakes continues...

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/04/bikes-and-tech/formula-di2-road-discs-good-enough-for-nys_214347

I guess one nice thing about DI2 for smaller companies is that it's easy for them to make compatible levers since the shift mechanism is just a button.
richwagmn

Previous

Return to General