Register

March 17th 2012 Milan-Sanremo - The Primavera - 298km

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

12 Mar 2012 21:58

roundabout wrote:I've heard from many reliable sources that there's only one rider in unbeatable form and he is going to show it on the Poggio

Ok i give up. Who? Sagan? Cos we know.

[edit] wait, you mean Canc, right?
Scientific Expert
User avatar taiwan

12 Mar 2012 22:04

taiwan wrote:Ok i give up. Who? Sagan? Cos we know.

[edit] wait, you mean Canc, right?

He means the masterful one.
User avatar Panda Claws

12 Mar 2012 22:04

kanari wrote:***** Sagan
**** Boonen, [color="Red"]Cancellara[/color]
*** Freire, Gilbert, Greipel,[color="Red"] Cavendish[/color]
** EBH, Hushovd, Goss,[color="Red"] Degenkolb[/color]
* Haussler, Bennati, Breschel, Rojas

This is more or less what I think, maybe Rojas should be higher.
Scientific Expert
User avatar taiwan

12 Mar 2012 22:05

Panda Claws wrote:He means the masterful one.

Nope still nothing.

Phil Gil?
Scientific Expert
User avatar taiwan

12 Mar 2012 22:56

Erik Zabel and Oscar Freire break down the race

http://youtu.be/w3rX3EBPbWA
User avatar Race Radio

12 Mar 2012 22:59

taiwan wrote:Nope still nothing.

Phil Gil?

Yes. Be on the look out for scorch marks on the Poggio when he accelerates.
User avatar Panda Claws

12 Mar 2012 23:01

Oh come'on Phil won't do much at San Remo if he really is sick :p
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

12 Mar 2012 23:03

Panda Claws wrote:Yes. Be on the look out for scorch marks on the Poggio when he accelerates.

Having seen Sagan's form also, hearing this makes me salivate.
Scientific Expert
User avatar taiwan

12 Mar 2012 23:03

El Pistolero wrote:Oh come'on Phil won't do much at San Remo if he really is sick :p

Sick or not, he will try. And his acceleration should still be the fastest ;)

EDIT: Seriously though I still believe that Phil can make something of this MSR. It would not be the first time we've seen him do amazing stuff.
User avatar Panda Claws

12 Mar 2012 23:59

I hate betting against Cav, but I think Mr Fabian Cancellara will take the day.
gingerwallaceafro

13 Mar 2012 00:13

gingerwallaceafro wrote:I hate betting against Cav, but I think Mr Fabian Cancellara will take the day.

i want canc or boonen to win this.

if not them, i don't mind cav or sagan.

contador for a future win.
i want a perfect body,
i want a perfect soul.
User avatar c&cfan

13 Mar 2012 00:43

Sky will wrap like a cocoon around Cavendish, sweep him over the Poggio, and onto the flat final. If Sky arrives relatively intact at the end, then it's all over. I think all the other teams know this. Cancellara won't be able to do that "drop everyone and time trial to the finish" thing on a flat road against the Sky train. The other teams have to keep the pace so high over the Cipressa and Poggio that Sky gets disrupted and Cav can't keep up. So Sagan and Gilbert are the only real choices for riders who might be able to disrupt the seeming-inevitable. If the two of them could work together... that would be awesome to watch.

By the way--I can't stand Cavendish, don't like watching him race or win, and think he's a snotty little prick. But I'd be surprised if he doesn't win.
User avatar Wallace

13 Mar 2012 00:55

Hmm I'd like to see Cancellara win. Boonen and Freire are other riders I can see winning. Sagan seems to be incredibly strong, but he has yet to do will in a really long race. Like the world champs last year, or sanremo a couple of years ago.
Swede1

13 Mar 2012 00:58

Parrulo wrote:nibali will push a massive tempo up the poggio drop most of the sprinters and freire will pip sagan for the finish line.

you heard it here first

jens_attacks wrote:phil and di luca will smoke the poggio that's for sure.

i love this race.

i love this race too. And not bad calls by all youse. They'll all be throwing punches. I'll go with Oscarito.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

13 Mar 2012 01:26

Froome19 wrote:Dont know what your definition of quitely is?
I certainly wouldnt call his perfomance in Strade-Bianche quiet;)

Well, that was impressive, but nothing compared to the last 2 years of 'oh my god, I don't see any way this man can be beaten'. Especially last year. The previous year he had shown his class by 1) Winning E3 Prijs with a canny attack anticipating the sprint, 2) Winning Flanders by riding everyone off his wheel, then riding Boonen off his wheel, then 3) Attacking - sitting in the saddle - from 50km out at Paris-Roubaix without giving a f*ck about 'calculated racing' and building up an embarrassing lead before coasting to the win. A year of percolation had really cemented how amazing those performances were. Then, winning E3 again as the most heavily marked man of the year, it just seemed like game over. That's what I mean by 'unbeatable form'. But then he was beaten, so he seemed more human, even though his chase in the final kms of Roubaix last year was about as impressive as his solo win the year before. Now the expectations aren't as white hot.

So yes, compared to that, having a nice win in Strade Bianche and some strong attacks in Oman/Qatar are pretty quiet.
skidmark

13 Mar 2012 02:01

skidmark wrote:Well, that was impressive, but nothing compared to the last 2 years of 'oh my god, I don't see any way this man can be beaten'. Especially last year. The previous year he had shown his class by 1) Winning E3 Prijs with a canny attack anticipating the sprint, 2) Winning Flanders by riding everyone off his wheel, then riding Boonen off his wheel, then 3) Attacking - sitting in the saddle - from 50km out at Paris-Roubaix without giving a f*ck about 'calculated racing' and building up an embarrassing lead before coasting to the win. A year of percolation had really cemented how amazing those performances were. Then, winning E3 again as the most heavily marked man of the year, it just seemed like game over. That's what I mean by 'unbeatable form'. But then he was beaten, so he seemed more human, even though his chase in the final kms of Roubaix last year was about as impressive as his solo win the year before. Now the expectations aren't as white hot.

So yes, compared to that, having a nice win in Strade Bianche and some strong attacks in Oman/Qatar are pretty quiet.

Yes, but you were talking about him "quietly slipping into unbeatable form." I don't see how performances 10 months earlier could say anything about the form he is bringing into the race. If you look at his January-early March performances over the past several years, this year's have been at least as good as those in the previous years.
shalgo

13 Mar 2012 02:37

One thing I'm 100% certain: Coldeportes won't do a damn thing in this race:o
as some folks already wrote-IF Sky controls the race & bring Cav in safe place after the Poggio-then is set for him to get his 2nd win. I just don't know how the other teams are going to play their cards, but Cance, Nibali/Sagan, Boonen & Oscarito surely come up with something to disrupt the Sky's train.
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
Sun Tzu
User avatar hfer07

13 Mar 2012 04:08

Wallace wrote:Sky will wrap like a cocoon around Cavendish, sweep him over the Poggio, and onto the flat final. If Sky arrives relatively intact at the end, then it's all over. I think all the other teams know this. Cancellara won't be able to do that "drop everyone and time trial to the finish" thing on a flat road against the Sky train. The other teams have to keep the pace so high over the Cipressa and Poggio that Sky gets disrupted and Cav can't keep up. So Sagan and Gilbert are the only real choices for riders who might be able to disrupt the seeming-inevitable. If the two of them could work together... that would be awesome to watch.

By the way--I can't stand Cavendish, don't like watching him race or win, and think he's a snotty little prick. But I'd be surprised if he doesn't win.

Surely they'll be looking after him like crazy, which is nuts since I thing EBH is their best option. But I can't see the entirety of the Sky team surviving to the finish and doing what you said. And I hate Cavendish so much that I too do not like see him win.

For the past two years I've been rooting for Boonen to win this race, and I'll be doing it again this year. But if it can't be him, there are several other who I would like to see walk away with the win.

If Cancellara wins, I would like to see him win by breaking away from the group to ruin it for them in the way that he did when he won stage 3 of the '07 tour.
User avatar Eric8-A

13 Mar 2012 05:45

hfer07 wrote:One thing I'm 100% certain: Coldeportes won't do a damn thing in this race:o
as some folks already wrote-IF Sky controls the race & bring Cav in safe place after the Poggio-then is set for him to get his 2nd win. I just don't know how the other teams are going to play their cards, but Cance, Nibali/Sagan, Boonen & Oscarito surely come up with something to disrupt the Sky's train.

The scary thing with Sky at a race like this is that if Cavendish does get shelled out the back then they still have EBH who is much stronger in the hills and only slightly slower in a sprint. If Sky do lose control of the race but EBH is still in contact with the leaders I doubt they will panic.

I'm picking a similar race to last year with a reduced bunch/large breakaway sprint won by one of the riders mentioned above (except Cav). IMO guys like Haussler, Chavanel, Van Avermaet, Valverde (if racing) and Gerrans (also if racing) are also in with a chance
How to ride like a Tour champion!

proof noun (SHOWING TRUTH)

B2 [C or U] a fact or piece of information that shows that something exists or is true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ritish/proof_1

evidence noun [U] uk /ˈev.ɪ.dəns/ us

B2 one or more reasons for believing that something is or is not true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...itish/evidence
User avatar 42x16ss

13 Mar 2012 06:02

42x16ss wrote:
I'm picking a similar race to last year with a reduced bunch/large breakaway sprint won by one of the riders mentioned above (except Cav). IMO guys like [SIZE="3"]Haussler[/SIZE], Chavanel, Van Avermaet, Valverde (if racing) and Gerrans (also if racing) are also in with a chance

I think you're the first to mention Haussler.
User avatar Eric8-A

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing