Log in:  

Register

The Cyclones?

From the kilo to the hour record, if it's on the velodrome it goes in here

The Cyclones?

14 Mar 2012 04:13

When did the Aussie track team start calling themselves the Cyclones, and why are they not named after a native marsupial?
simo1733
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,177
Joined: 15 Jun 2010 08:40
Location: Brunei

14 Mar 2012 06:42

Dunno, but does anyone know why Michael Freiberg wasn't named in the team today? Who is going to ride the men's omnium?
User avatar slartiblartfast
Junior Member
 
Posts: 84
Joined: 10 Jul 2009 05:47

14 Mar 2012 06:47

Leigh Howard I guess.
simo1733
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,177
Joined: 15 Jun 2010 08:40
Location: Brunei

14 Mar 2012 08:34

They've been the Cyclones as long as I can remember, probably just known as the Australian team before that.

Hazard a guess that 'Cyclones' has something to do with being a similar sounding word to 'cycling'.

Not all teams are named after marsupials either. Mens hockey are Kookaburras, womens basketball are Opals, netball are Diamonds, swimming are Dolphins.
Shady87
Junior Member
 
Posts: 26
Joined: 03 Aug 2011 03:14

14 Mar 2012 15:16

Shady87 wrote:They've been the Cyclones as long as I can remember, probably just known as the Australian team before that.

Hazard a guess that 'Cyclones' has something to do with being a similar sounding word to 'cycling'.

Not all teams are named after marsupials either. Mens hockey are Kookaburras, womens basketball are Opals, netball are Diamonds, swimming are Dolphins.


Why do they all have to have names other than Australia.
simo1733
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,177
Joined: 15 Jun 2010 08:40
Location: Brunei

15 Mar 2012 03:15

O'Shea will do the omnium, he's in the box seat for London at this stage.
Ferminal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,772
Joined: 03 Jul 2009 09:42

15 Mar 2012 12:34

Ferminal wrote:O'Shea will do the omnium, he's in the box seat for London at this stage.


Who is riding omnium for GB? Swift or Clancy.I think Clancy could win but not Swift.
simo1733
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,177
Joined: 15 Jun 2010 08:40
Location: Brunei

16 Mar 2012 14:26

So journos can pad out/spice up their copy.
User avatar wirral
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,016
Joined: 28 Mar 2011 06:05

18 Mar 2012 08:11

slartiblartfast wrote:Dunno, but does anyone know why Michael Freiberg wasn't named in the team today? Who is going to ride the men's omnium?


Because O'Shea beat him at everything this season.
"If there is only a 10% chance of success then I will take it because if I don't take the 10% then I have 0%"

"You know that thing in your head that says 'we shouldn't be doing this?' We don't have that"
User avatar woodie
Junior Member
 
Posts: 838
Joined: 27 May 2010 05:37
Location: Australia

20 Mar 2012 20:03

simo1733 wrote:When did the Aussie track team start calling themselves the Cyclones, and why are they not named after a native marsupial?


Don't know when they chose that embarrassing name but Cycling Australia wanted sponsorship $$$...maybe CA came along too late to snag the marsupials.

Is Michael Freiberg going to appeal? He'd have to be a chance of a successful appeal.
pmsc111
Junior Member
 
Posts: 79
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 05:22

22 Mar 2012 14:55

GB's new olympic kit.Oh Dear.
simo1733
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,177
Joined: 15 Jun 2010 08:40
Location: Brunei

11 Apr 2012 09:59

Oh really when they got that name???
tammywilson52
Junior Member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 10 Apr 2012 06:35

28 May 2012 07:53

I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,229
Joined: 27 Mar 2011 04:23

12 Jun 2012 00:48

The fact is, no one has done more to make doping in sports seem like an evil than Lance Armstrong in his prime, desperately, passionately, ferociously guarding the perception that he was clean.
Gwen Knapp

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/52357070/
User avatar Spider1964
Junior Member
 
Posts: 441
Joined: 08 Jul 2009 04:05
Location: God's Own Country


Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Back to top