Register

What tactic does Cancellara use now?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

01 Jul 2012 20:18

Marco Pantani wrote:Still better than fifth my friend.

Would you rather be guaranteed second place knowing that you had done the hard work for someone else to win, or take a shot at winning but maybe end up 8th/10th?
Frosty

01 Jul 2012 20:20

Frosty wrote:Would you rather be guaranteed second place knowing that you had done the hard work for someone else to win, or take a shot at winning but maybe end up 8th/10th?

Would he really have had a shot at first from that group?:)

His shot at first was the move.
User avatar Marco Pantani

01 Jul 2012 20:27

I honestly don't find any reason to critisize him today at all - He actually took the race by the horns & fought to the very end-Sagan literally stuck to his wheel until the sprint, where Spartacus has no chance to succeed. As some folk here wrote-he might need a team-but then he did quite well without it in defending the yellow jersey. Overall - I'd love to see him away from the Schleck sisters & with an army at his disposal, so he can select which races he wants to win & have a free role during the Tour :)
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
Sun Tzu
User avatar hfer07

01 Jul 2012 20:31

will10 wrote:Really ?

Well put it this way: if it was any rider from the top ten apart from Sagan or Boasson Hagen that had his wheel, he'd have had it.
Scientific Expert
User avatar taiwan

01 Jul 2012 20:37

taiwan wrote:Well put it this way: if it was any rider from the top ten apart from Sagan or Boasson Hagen that had his wheel, he'd have had it.

It was a carbon copy of San Remo vs. Gerrans. Sagan said no 3 or 4 times, knowing Fabian would sit there regardless, gave him a token turn and blew his doors off in the sprint.
User avatar will10

01 Jul 2012 20:41

Marco Pantani wrote:Would he really have had a shot at first from that group?:)

His shot at first was the move.

No, he wouldnt have had a shot at first from that group having put in that effort, that's the reason why he wanted Sagan to come through.
Frosty

01 Jul 2012 21:14

will10 wrote:It was a carbon copy of San Remo vs. Gerrans. Sagan said no 3 or 4 times, knowing Fabian would sit there regardless, gave him a token turn and blew his doors off in the sprint.

I should probably admit at this point that as usual I haven't actually seen the stage. I'm purely speculating.
Scientific Expert
User avatar taiwan

01 Jul 2012 21:17

Frosty wrote:No, he wouldnt have had a shot at first from that group having put in that effort, that's the reason why he wanted Sagan to come through.

You wanna tell me Cancellara had a better chance to win in a sprint against Sagan and EBH, than in a late attack or what???

Come on
User avatar Marco Pantani

01 Jul 2012 21:27

Marco Pantani wrote:You wanna tell me Cancellara had a better chance to win in a sprint against Sagan and EBH, than in a late attack or what???

Come on

Actually I think only Sagan could have stopped him today. That guy is just scary strong.

EBH would have not caught on if Cancellara had not sat up a few times in the attempt to get Sagan to come round.
I tell ya, it's not the water.
User avatar BillytheKid

01 Jul 2012 21:28

Marco Pantani wrote:You wanna tell me Cancellara had a better chance to win in a sprint against Sagan and EBH, than in a late attack or what???

Come on

:confused:

He would have had a better chance of winning if Sagan was setting the pace (EBH was cooked), its easier to attack when your main competitor is in front of you than behind you, unless its stupidly steep which it wasnt towards the end. Basic stuff.
Frosty

02 Jul 2012 01:03

Yes, Fabian should have just sat in the bunch and sprinted for third at best.
Ferminal

02 Jul 2012 01:42

Ferminal wrote:Yes, Fabian should have just sat in the bunch and sprinted for third at best.
Give the guy the respect he deserves. It's not what he should, it's what he wanted to do. He explains it clearly in the interview.
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

02 Jul 2012 01:55

taiwan wrote:Thing is, he got 4th at the Worlds. You'd think 9/10 times he could win from a small group, IDK why it's not working. Maybe just not foxy enough.

If the finish is technical he could attack at a corner or roundabout in the last km? Seemed to work in E3 Prijs 2010.

edit - this:

In this stage though the finish was not technical ( except for cobbles ) but hard- and he was the strongest, so he did well to attack. It was however the first TDF stage so more riders were fresh enough to cling onto him.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge

02 Jul 2012 01:58

will10 wrote:It was a carbon copy of San Remo vs. Gerrans. Sagan said no 3 or 4 times, knowing Fabian would sit there regardless, gave him a token turn and blew his doors off in the sprint.

In M-SR he did not really call for help- the others were just trying to stick with him on the descent. On the flat he barely asked for help and Gerrans gave him one pull.

D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge

02 Jul 2012 01:59

taiwan wrote:Well put it this way: if it was any rider from the top ten apart from Sagan or Boasson Hagen that had his wheel, he'd have had it.

Gilbert, Mollema and Valverde would have gone well too.

D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge

02 Jul 2012 01:59

hfer07 wrote:i honestly don't find any reason to critisize him today at all - he actually took the race by the horns & fought to the very end-sagan literally stuck to his wheel until the sprint, where spartacus has no chance to succeed. As some folk here wrote-he might need a team-but then he did quite well without it in defending the yellow jersey. Overall - i'd love to see him away from the schleck sisters & with an army at his disposal, so he can select which races he wants to win & have a free role during the tour :)

+10000000:d

D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge

02 Jul 2012 05:04

cineteq wrote:Give the guy the respect he deserves. It's not what he should, it's what he wanted to do. He explains it clearly in the interview.

+1

He did what he knows he can do, and what sometime works. Its his best strategy, and everyonce in awhile it will work.
Moser fanboy.

Libertine Seguros wrote:Colombia is a world of totally alien wonder, a bit like putting the Amish in the control room at NASA.
User avatar gustienordic

Previous

Return to Professional road racing