Register

Tragic News

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Tragic News

19 Mar 2012 22:55

It is with a very heavy heart, that I am the bearer of extremely sad news.

it is the second time in a matter of months that this duty has fallen to me, and each time is equally heartbreaking.

On Saturday the 11th of February, Craig Walsh, known to many of you as Craig1985 was tragically killed after a collision with a motor car while riding his bike.

I really dont know what to say, except that my knowledge of craig was that of a great guy.

On February 18th more than 60 cyclists rode from the Luke Harrop track at Runaway Bay to the funeral at Allambe Gardens in Nerang in memory of the 26-year-old.

In a poignant twist, Craigs signature on the cycling news forums pays tributes to three people. Xavier Tondo, Wouter Weyland, and John The Swordsman.

Words cannot describe how I feel knowing he has now been added to that list.

I will try at some point to contact a member of his club, or a member of the family so that we may pass on our sympathies.

Craig Walsh. 1985 - 2012
TeamSkyFans

19 Mar 2012 23:06

RIP Craig. I can't write anymore:(
"Hit it with an iron" said the old pro.
User avatar krebs303

19 Mar 2012 23:07

RIP brother

sad news indeed
User avatar Boeing

19 Mar 2012 23:08

a great guy who was liked by everyone. Truly gutted about this.
User avatar daveinzambia

19 Mar 2012 23:10

Wow. I'm crushed. That dude was okay.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal

19 Mar 2012 23:12

He always seemed like such a great guy...devastated. RIP.

It's at times like these I consider quitting cycling altogether, the motorists will never learn...:(
maltiv

19 Mar 2012 23:14

totally bummed. RIP Craig Walsh/Craig1985. super nice guy. we were corresponding a lot over the last couple of years.
User avatar usedtobefast

19 Mar 2012 23:14

Wow. That's just completely unbelievable. At a loss for words. I had been wondering why he seemed to have stopped posting, but never imagined for a second it would be for anything like this.

He was a good guy to have around, always gave the impression he'd be a great guy to hang around with, and the forum was better for his contribution. Thoughts to those who knew him.
User avatar Libertine Seguros

19 Mar 2012 23:19

the fact his avatar is that of John the Swordsman is almost too much.

Devastating :(
TeamSkyFans

19 Mar 2012 23:20

This is deep.

Craig really was imo one of the best cycling fans in the world, and I don't hand that one out, even in threads like these, unless I think it is earned.

Had high level knowledge of the pros, and rode at a very high level in local crits. Loved and took part in the sport at all its levels.

Didnt always show his high knowledge kept it to himself and lurked often, but you could se he had it like for example when he wrote on 1 of the Vuelta 10 stage threads that Hushovd had won the stage in the Volta Catalunya some years back.
Or that avatar he had of Abdoujaparov

Was always great to read his posts about how he had just ridden with this pro or that. Fan stories like that are my favourite posts to read and Craig offered these feel good stories as much as anyone.

He also posted with joy about his trips to europe for whcih he had saved up long for, in order to watch the Tour de France, what had been a dream of his.

Never got into any **** with anybody on here.
I remember when people were beating up on jens and craig posted with a smiley that he likes jens posts cos they are different.

Loved the forum too. Many of his posts where jokes to other posters or about their posting styles.

As I remember his signature also had the words "hope I do not have to add to this list".

What a sad irony.

I don't know how you found out dim but chapeau on doing so and letting the community pay its respects.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

19 Mar 2012 23:33

Goddamnit.. no... f*ck... :'(

Completely at a lack of words...

may you rest in peace Craig :)
Rest In Peace:
Craig Walsh 1985 - 2012
User avatar Havetts

19 Mar 2012 23:33

I am really sad, what terrible news.

In his posts he came across as a really nice guy.

I looked for a thread that he started, about VO2 max

here it is
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=12560&highlight=craig1985
Le breton

19 Mar 2012 23:35

Dude noooo! :( I'm so very very very sad now :(

I had quite some good moments with him on here and had hoped to one day ride the RvV cyclosportive with him....

Rest in peace brother :(
Life's too important to be taken seriously
Doping sucks

Wouter, John and Xavi, you all will be missed.

hrotha wrote:You guys have an ancient barbarian mentality. Charge right in and be inevitably slaughtered by the superior foe, so that you can be buried with your sword and your silly notions of an "honorable fight".
and proud of it :D
User avatar Michielveedeebee

19 Mar 2012 23:39

This is so sad, i have been thinking about him lately. Goodbye Craig, you were all class.
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas

19 Mar 2012 23:39

Sad, just sad.
User avatar roundabout

19 Mar 2012 23:41

Michielveedeebee wrote:Dude noooo! :( I'm so very very very sad now :(

I had quite some good moments with him on here and had hoped to one day ride the RvV cyclosportive with him....

Rest in peace brother :(

I too hoped one day to meet the guy. In pms he was as on the boards very friendly.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

19 Mar 2012 23:51

For some of us we've been interacting with this kid for almost three years, super nice guy, wish I could have met him too. He will be missed like family, like a brother.....................:(
“I was a bandit. If Boonen is the God of Belgian cycling, then I’m the Devil."
[SIZE="2"]~Roger De Vlaeminck[/SIZE]
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

19 Mar 2012 23:58

What a tragedy, so young. RIP Craig, you will indeed be missed by many.:(

Thanks for bringing the news Dim, and for how you brought it...
The LOTE has won, all hail the LOTE.
User avatar Amsterhammer

19 Mar 2012 23:58

Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas

20 Mar 2012 00:00

This is horrible news. 26 years is not nearly enough. I don't even know what to say. I've "known" Craig for years through cycling forums, especially this one.

Craig, may you get a group ride together up there, and maybe be a guiding force for other cyclists. Keep the family safe.
User avatar VeloGirl

Next

Return to General