Register

Paris-Roubaix 2012 - The Queen of the Classics (257.5km)

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

02 Apr 2012 06:51

I wouldn't count Thor out based on his performance in the Ronde. He finished around 50th, which is where he usually ends up - as he did the years he finished on the podium in PR.

That said, he won't win PR this year either, but I wouldn't count him out for a podium finish. BMC looked quite good as a team yesterday as well.
kjetilraknerud

02 Apr 2012 06:57

Hugo Koblet wrote:I agree with aus regarding Sagan. I was one of those (many) who was talking him up before RVV and he obviously did incredible, but I think that RVV is better suited to him than PR.

sagan is not starting at P-R this year
User avatar tomorrow

02 Apr 2012 07:08

auscyclefan94 wrote:Yes he does say this

But when you are not able to go with the leaders and stay with them then you don't have the legs. He wasn't as strong as the front guys for the distance. It is a matter of fact. He also made some mistakes in regards to positioning and when he was riding on the front. I also believe that Sagan is more suited to Flanders because of his lighter frame, climbing abilities and punch. Roubaix suits larger riders who can power on the flat more who have a large diesel.

It was not the distance, but bad luck. I will put here an excerpt from his interview in slovak. Among other things, he mentioned that at first he had problems with "derailleur"(i hope google translated this one correctly), so he had to swith his bike, then he returned to the peloton by himself, without any help from his teammates, that he had problems with brakes, he had to wait for car, but they didn't have any spare bike, so they only provisourly fixed the brakes, caught the peloton alone again, than after some kms brakes were down again, so sagan desperately threw his bike into the bushes and waited for the car with fixed original one, than he return to peloton again alone. And then, in the first ascent to patterberg he was blocked by the fall and had to cath the leaders alone again.

So that's why he had not enough strenght to respond to Boonen's coutner attack. Honestly, given the circumstances, I think that the 5th place is pretty amazing.
User avatar tomorrow

02 Apr 2012 07:16

tomorrow wrote:sagan is not starting at P-R this year

Really? Well, then the discussion is meaningless :p
Ryo Hazuki wrote:contador is such a coward :o
User avatar Hugo Koblet

02 Apr 2012 07:26

luckyboy wrote:Yeah only Chavanel, Flecha and maybe Breschel look like they could gatecrash that top 3.

Breschel isn't riding PR afaik.
User avatar Magnus

02 Apr 2012 07:39

Hugo Koblet wrote:Really? Well, then the discussion is meaningless :p

Yes, he's only taking part in some UCI ET race and then he will start Amstel
User avatar tomorrow

02 Apr 2012 08:00

George Hincapie has got this one in the bag. This is the year its going to happen. Just wait and see.
User avatar Captain_Obvious

02 Apr 2012 08:30

Captain_Obvious wrote:George Hincapie has got this one in the bag. This is the year its going to happen. Just wait and see.

lol.... He has no chance. He will be working as a domestique.

I believe if BMC can get themselves into a 2 on 1 situation with Ballan, Hushovd and Boonen it will be their best chance for a victory. I don't see Boonen dropping both of them.
User avatar dlwssonic

02 Apr 2012 08:53

BMC are looking like a very strong team again. Two pootential winners in Ballan and Hushovd, and Van Avermaet, Burghardt and Hincapie in support. Unless they argue over who leads (no sign of that at RVV) I could see Ballan making up for yesterday's frustration.

OPQS are of course just as strong, Farnese Vini less so because I assume Gatto won't be as suited to P-R.
Scientific Expert
User avatar taiwan

02 Apr 2012 08:55

Captain_Obvious wrote:George Hincapie has got this one in the bag. This is the year its going to happen. Just wait and see.

the guy i will support in roubaix until he hangs off the bike

boonen had enough of classics,i hope ballan can beat him this time

i won't even dare to wish a muddy roubaix because it seems it will never happen again:(
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks

02 Apr 2012 09:02

Ballan has to drop Boonen to win PR, that never looked like happening yesterday. In my opinion GVA has a better chance, because he can sprint a bit, as well as Thor of course. Ballan should play the Chavanel/Terpstra role in PR.
kjetilraknerud

02 Apr 2012 09:09

If Hushovd is on form (which I doubt) then it's possible for BMC to beat Boonen and OPQS. It will, in my opinion, only happen if they can let Hushovd hang onto Boonens wheel (which he, as we all know, is very good at) while Ballan attacks relentlessly. I doubt they are strong enough though.

Boonen, Ballan and Pozzato look like the strongest. I think that Hagen could potentially do better here than in RVV but I don't know about this year. Of course PR is better suited to Degenkolb as well, and he will probably be one of the guys to beat in a few years.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:contador is such a coward :o
User avatar Hugo Koblet

02 Apr 2012 09:09

Meh, Hushovd is not a favorite in my opinion. Hasn't ridden a good race this season and P-R is coming soon.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

02 Apr 2012 09:11

kjetilraknerud wrote:Ballan has to drop Boonen to win PR, that never looked like happening yesterday. In my opinion GVA has a better chance, because he can sprint a bit, as well as Thor of course. Ballan should play the Chavanel/Terpstra role in PR.

not that easy, GVA have NEVER showed (as far as ive seen) that he can follow Boonen on the cobbles, and Hushovd has been sick, and is abit out of form (he have said so himself) so Ballan is right now the only BMC rider that can follow Boonen to the finishing line on paper
Vino attacks everyone

02 Apr 2012 09:12

what the hell is it with PR and GVA talk.
HE IS NOT EVEN RACING IN PR.
Way too light for PR, he is more a hilly classics guy and IMO Hushovd will be up there for PR.
User avatar dlwssonic

02 Apr 2012 09:12

Hugo Koblet wrote:If Hushovd is on form (which I doubt) then it's possible for BMC to beat Boonen and OPQS. It will, in my opinion, only happen if they can let Hushovd hang onto Boonens wheel (which he, as we all know, is very good at) while Ballan attacks relentlessly. I doubt they are strong enough though.

Boonen, Ballan and Pozzato look like the strongest. I think that Hagen could potentially do better here than in RVV but I don't know about this year. Of course PR is better suited to Degenkolb as well, and he will probably be one of the guys to beat in a few years.

Hagen prbably need 2 or 3 more years before beeing capable of winning PR. Just like Hushovd in that matter, not a natural big engine so have to work with that next couple of years
Vino attacks everyone

02 Apr 2012 09:17

Vino attacks everyone wrote:not that easy, GVA have NEVER showed (as far as ive seen) that he can follow Boonen on the cobbles, and Hushovd has been sick, and is abit out of form (he have said so himself) so Ballan is right now the only BMC rider that can follow Boonen to the finishing line on paper

Never said it was easy, and I don't think BMC can win the race either unless Ballan turns into Cancellara during the week. My point was that Ballan will never beat Boonen in a sprint, GVA might - but I learn that he isn't even riding. Their only hope is Thor, and he isn't in top form because of his illness.
kjetilraknerud

02 Apr 2012 09:18

What a weak peloton this year.
DominicDecoco

02 Apr 2012 09:22

Oops never checked that GVA was actually riding. Not that he'd have any chance sprinting vs. Boonen anyway.
Scientific Expert
User avatar taiwan

02 Apr 2012 10:17

Does anyone know about tv coverage in Germany? Is it on free-to-air at all?
Morbius

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing