Register

All three grand tours.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Could Contador win the Giro, Tour and Vuelta in one season?

Yes, he defintely has a good chance.
4%
Yes, but he only has a good chance with the "no points" rule dropped.
No votes
Probably not, but if anyone can, it's him.
43%
Probably not, but he has a slight chance with the "no points" rule dropped.
3%
He simply cannot do it.
50%

Total votes : 117

03 Apr 2012 15:25

happychappy wrote:I hope he doesn't try it next year - I want him to utterly and completely destroy Little Andrew in July. I don't just want Contador to win, I want his victory to be so crushing that there will be so many Andrew Tears flowing that people are going to need boats instead of bikes.

You are not alone.
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

03 Apr 2012 15:26

The Hitch wrote:Someone else was following me and as I looked through their follow lists you were there.

How did you know it was me?

Also, now I want to know who that person is. :p

Edit: Minessa from Kazakhstan?
User avatar LaFlorecita

Re: the poll

03 Apr 2012 15:38

One thing I do not understand: What has the no points rule to do with his chances to succeed?
User avatar LaFlorecita

03 Apr 2012 15:40

LaFlorecita wrote:How did you know it was me?

To be fair, your twitter account has Fleur as a name and combining it with your twitter username it is not hard to guess its you :)
Rest In Peace:
Craig Walsh 1985 - 2012
User avatar Havetts

03 Apr 2012 15:40

Merckx could've. Even Hinault could've. In modern cycling it's as good as impossible.
User avatar will10

03 Apr 2012 15:44

Of course not.

With great difficulty and under certain circumstances, including relatively soft parcours and weak fields, Vuelta + Giro is still possible. Although, I may be too optimistical. However we can see the Giro+TdF or TdF+Vuelta doubles if antidoping direction will be recognized a deadlock in the future and UCI will be replaced by some alternative cycling organization which might let riders fly again. But it's highly unlikely
User avatar airstream

03 Apr 2012 15:45

Havetts wrote:To be fair, your twitter account has Fleur as a name and combining it with your twitter username it is not hard to guess its you :)

What you found it as well. :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

03 Apr 2012 15:46

airstream wrote:Of course not.

With great difficulty and under certain circumstances, including relatively soft parcours and weak fields, Vuelta + Giro is still possible. Although, I may be too optimistical.

Oh airstream I really just roflol'd.

You're too obvious.
User avatar LaFlorecita

03 Apr 2012 15:47

LaFlorecita wrote:How did you know it was me?

Yeah twas.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

03 Apr 2012 15:56

LaFlorecita wrote:One thing I do not understand: What has the no points rule to do with his chances to succeed?

A team strong enough to do this would have to be entirely structured around this goal. All the other riders would have to sacrifice WT points in order to achieve it, so I think the leader would have to actually be able to win the points to keep the team in the WT. If he can't win you WT points, I think it's much harder to justify building a superteam around him.
User avatar Caruut

03 Apr 2012 15:58

Caruut wrote:A team strong enough to do this would have to be entirely structured around this goal. All the other riders would have to sacrifice WT points in order to achieve it, so I think the leader would have to actually be able to win the points to keep the team in the WT. If he can't win you WT points, I think it's much harder to justify building a superteam around him.

Okay fair enough.
User avatar LaFlorecita

03 Apr 2012 16:19

We don't know if it's possible, because absolutely nobody has tried in in the last 20 years. The closest thing was Sastre in 2010, he rode top 10 in the Giro, top 20 in the tour, and top 10 in the Vuelta.

We know for sure that if anyone can do it, it's Contador and I hope he tries one day, so we know it's a possibility. Also, everything has to fall in place. What I think is very important, is that the time between the GT's is as long as possible and that the Giro route is as easy as possible. Contador is an ambitious rider, he's looking for new goals. If he achieves it, he'll be a legend, and he knows that. New goals could also include hilly classics and the worlds.

Let's say there might be a 1% chance. We don't know it for sure because nobody tried it like forever. If you don't try, you don't win. I seriously want to see him try it, because i want to know if it's possible, and i think it's one of the greatest things one can achieve in sports.

BTW, you know what's even harder winning PN and TA in the same year:D:D:D
Let us remember what happened on March 16th, 2014

The Hitch wrote:Red Rick. Road Race forum MVP 2014.

The Hitch wrote:#RedRick4RCSRaceDirector.
Red Rick

03 Apr 2012 16:25

If Merckx couldn't do it, then Contador can't either.
User avatar spalco

03 Apr 2012 16:27

LaFlorecita wrote:Oh airstream I really just roflol'd.

You're too obvious.

what "to roflol" means? i'm trying to be unbiased. i appreciate your belief in miracles and support your rider whatever happens. But frankly speaking any double including the Tour is unrealistic. generally such an assumption collides with an elementary fact - life goes on and the rivals don't sit still. Contador, who is allegedly head and shoulders above all the rest [we are lookin into the perspective to win the double] is a myth cherished by the forum. I have seen the thread about the most hyped riders somewhere around here, really wonder if Contador was mentioned there.

alright, what had happened if he could of had a stronger team in the Giro?
User avatar airstream

03 Apr 2012 16:51

I think he could, but I don't think its worth trying. Just focus on TdF and ring up the wins and should one year be a failure, join the crowd at the Vuelta and take a win here instead.

5-6 years later and the bank account will be loaded again.
Dazed and Confused

03 Apr 2012 17:20

airstream wrote:what "to roflol" means? i'm trying to be unbiased. i appreciate your belief in miracles and support your rider whatever happens. But frankly speaking any double including the Tour is unrealistic. generally such an assumption collides with an elementary fact - life goes on and the rivals don't sit still. Contador, who is allegedly head and shoulders above all the rest [we are lookin into the perspective to win the double] is a myth cherished by the forum. I have seen the thread about the most hyped riders somewhere around here, really wonder if Contador was mentioned there.

alright, what had happened if he could of had a stronger team in the Giro?

airstream come on. You say that he can only maybe, just maybe, win the Tour again with a huge amount of luck and with bad competitors.

You say that he could, maybe, just maybe, win the Giro Tour double, again, with a huge amount of luck and opponents in bad form and soft parcours.

You're being silly and you know it. Alberto being head and shoulders above the rest isn't a myth.
User avatar LaFlorecita

03 Apr 2012 17:44

LaFlorecita wrote:airstream come on. You say that he can only maybe, just maybe, win the Tour again with a huge amount of luck and with bad competitors.

I was saying he will never win the Tour more, but the Giro+Vuelta double is hypothetically feasible.

You're being silly and you know it.

:confused:
User avatar airstream

03 Apr 2012 17:50

1. He will need an easy Giro, relatively easy tour (a couple of mountains to break the tters) and a super easy Vuelta with perhaps only 1 hard mountainstage
2. he'll need a SUPER team to soft pedal him through all 3
3. he will need a perfect winter, without any form for injury or sickness (he can't loose 1 daay of preperation)
4. He'll need some badass luck :p
User avatar Vino attacks everyone

03 Apr 2012 17:50

airstream wrote:I was saying he will never win the Tour more, but the Giro+Vuelta double is hypothetically feasible.

Airstream are you kidding yourself?

Alberto won't win the Tour again. But he will win several Giro-Vuelta doubles with +3 minutes advantage.

:o:o
User avatar LaFlorecita

03 Apr 2012 17:51

airstream wrote:I was saying he will never win the Tour more, but the Giro+Vuelta double is hypothetically feasible.

Wait, you're saying he'll never win the Tour again?
User avatar Caruut

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing