Log in:  

Register

All three grand tours.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Could Contador win the Giro, Tour and Vuelta in one season?

Yes, he defintely has a good chance.
5
4%
Yes, but he only has a good chance with the "no points" rule dropped.
No votes
Probably not, but if anyone can, it's him.
50
43%
Probably not, but he has a slight chance with the "no points" rule dropped.
3
3%
He simply cannot do it.
59
50%
 
Total votes : 117

04 Apr 2012 03:49

He could do it, but needs the team, the parcours, and the plan, and it would be far from certain.
The parcours...i think if Contador hinted he wanted to try all 3 the organisers would probably tempt him.
The team, strong enough that he only needs to make decisive moves at the end of stages and never work for himself in 3 GTs...tough ask. To me that says at least 6 top 10 GC guys on your team willing to sacrifice everything for you. Each of them could be in top form for 1 GT and maybe ok support in another. RSNT might be close to having that.
Then Contador would need to enter the Giro knowing he isn't on top form, rely on his team and take opportunities as they come. I don't think this last is in his character. Armstrong i think had that sort of patience, Contador not so much.
I really want to see him try, it could be a plan for 2014 after he takes the tour vuelta in 2013.
karlboss
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,656
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 18:40

04 Apr 2012 06:17

i would like to see him try!
EddytheBoss
Junior Member
 
Posts: 45
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 19:19

04 Apr 2012 06:34

If anyone can do it, it's Contador. But it seems highly unlikely.
He won't definitely attempt it next year.

Also he has the following obstacles

The UCI seems hell bent on ruining his career. ( The points rule, is an example)
Christian Prudholme is anti Contador and a big fanboy of A Schleck & B Wiggins,
so he'll do everything possible to make sure that the Courses suit them.
The Frenchies hate Contador and I won't be surprised if a non WT team with Contador next year miss out on Tour wild card Invitations.
User avatar the asian
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,412
Joined: 20 Jan 2011 18:09
Location: Colombo

04 Apr 2012 06:36

Contador has already said he's not going to try the Giro Tour double again any time soon and that was before the ban. It will be all about the tour when he's back.

I really don't see AC declining too much between 30-33 say. Many riders seem to go well in their thirties, sports science and doing less days racing seems to have given riders a bit more longevity in terms of their primes. A lot though Boonen was past it.
uphillstruggle
Junior Member
 
Posts: 543
Joined: 19 Jun 2009 19:31

04 Apr 2012 07:36

Or the 'next big thing' might appear soon and he (Alberto) won't win another GT. This is also a possibility. I know everybody thought in '96 that Ullrich is going to win 7-8 Tours. The rest is history. And as the history teach us, soon is going to be a new Contador/Armstrong/Indurain. The fact that an old man like Evans won last year it's just a transition I think. In 1-2 years we will talk about Contador like we speak today about Basso..." mneaa, maybe the Giro if the right terrain and everybody is going for le Tour." Or who knows!
McLovin
Junior Member
 
Posts: 830
Joined: 18 Jun 2009 14:55

04 Apr 2012 07:43

I think he could win two GT's again but i doubt he can win all 3 in one year. I doubt he would try but i am not dismissing the fact he could do it so i voted for the 3rd option.
Basso never had Contadors' pal mares or maybe even his climbing ability though.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,257
Joined: 27 Mar 2011 04:23

04 Apr 2012 08:12

McLovin wrote:Or the 'next big thing' might appear soon and he (Alberto) won't win another GT. This is also a possibility. I know everybody thought in '96 that Ullrich is going to win 7-8 Tours. The rest is history. And as the history teach us, soon is going to be a new Contador/Armstrong/Indurain. The fact that an old man like Evans won last year it's just a transition I think. In 1-2 years we will talk about Contador like we speak today about Basso..." mneaa, maybe the Giro if the right terrain and everybody is going for le Tour." Or who knows!


want to bet on that? :D
Vino attacks everyone
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,518
Joined: 05 May 2011 16:26

04 Apr 2012 08:40

Wallace wrote:Absolutely. As we saw in 2011, a hard Giro and Tour aren't possible, even for Contador. In the past the double was easier because so much of the Giro was ridden at the famous "piano" (gentle) pace--it just wasn't as brutal a race as the Tour. That's changed. When you add in the insane vertical cliffs they've been tossing into the Vuelta as "mountaintop finishes," then the idea of one rider winning all three GTs becomes impossible.


I think what we saw in 2011. is that it IS possible for him to do it.
But also that it takes stronger team and some luck in avoiding crashes and injuries.
He got fifth with couple crashes, swollen knee and time lost in the beginning of the race for no good reason. Without those it would be, not only possible to win but probable.
User avatar personal
Junior Member
 
Posts: 319
Joined: 02 Jun 2010 18:19

04 Apr 2012 08:41

I said 'might'.
McLovin
Junior Member
 
Posts: 830
Joined: 18 Jun 2009 14:55

04 Apr 2012 09:01

McLovin wrote:I said 'might'.


I'm just messing with you m8 :p:o
Vino attacks everyone
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,518
Joined: 05 May 2011 16:26

04 Apr 2012 10:34

the asian wrote:If anyone can do it, it's Contador. But it seems highly unlikely.
He won't definitely attempt it next year.

Also he has the following obstacles

The UCI seems hell bent on ruining his career. ( The points rule, is an example)
Christian Prudholme is anti Contador and a big fanboy of A Schleck & B Wiggins,
so he'll do everything possible to make sure that the Courses suit them.
The Frenchies hate Contador and I won't be surprised if a non WT team with Contador next year miss out on Tour wild card Invitations.


Finally someone that understands me.
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita
Senior Member
 
Posts: 21,147
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

04 Apr 2012 11:47

karlboss wrote:He could do it, but needs the team, the parcours, and the plan, and it would be far from certain.
The parcours...i think if Contador hinted he wanted to try all 3 the organisers would probably tempt him.
The team, strong enough that he only needs to make decisive moves at the end of stages and never work for himself in 3 GTs...tough ask. To me that says at least 6 top 10 GC guys on your team willing to sacrifice everything for you. Each of them could be in top form for 1 GT and maybe ok support in another. RSNT might be close to having that.
Then Contador would need to enter the Giro knowing he isn't on top form, rely on his team and take opportunities as they come. I don't think this last is in his character. Armstrong i think had that sort of patience, Contador not so much.
I really want to see him try, it could be a plan for 2014 after he takes the tour vuelta in 2013.


This sounds a bit like his 2008 Giro performance. He rode within himself knowing he wasn't in top form and even won while nursing an injured/broken wrist for much of the 3 weeks. I think he's gotten much more disciplined in his racing over the course of his career. If he goes into each event with a particular strategy in mind dedicated to winning with the least amount of unnecessary exertion I believe he would have the focus to stick to that pre determined game plan.

Edit: The 3 grand tours in one year is close to impossible. Firstly I doubt he would want to subject himself to such abuse, mentally and physically and secondly for it to even happen ideal circumstance would have to all fall into place that are so difficult to comprehend them actually occurring all in the same year would be a miracle of luck, all three events gearing their parcours to accomodate this monumental effort and IMO most importantly, Contador's continued willingness to continue after winning the Giro and the Tour inspite of the inevitable mental and physical fatigue. Not to mention the monster of the media attention that would be demanding his time.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,987
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

04 Apr 2012 12:10

the asian wrote:If anyone can do it, it's Contador. But it seems highly unlikely.
He won't definitely attempt it next year.

Also he has the following obstacles

The UCI seems hell bent on ruining his career. ( The points rule, is an example)
Christian Prudholme is anti Contador and a big fanboy of A Schleck & B Wiggins,
so he'll do everything possible to make sure that the Courses suit them.
The Frenchies hate Contador and I won't be surprised if a non WT team with Contador next year miss out on Tour wild card Invitations.


That rule was already in place before Contador got suspended so it wasn't just something they threw in especially for him, it applies to all suspended riders returning
"If there is only a 10% chance of success then I will take it because if I don't take the 10% then I have 0%"

"You know that thing in your head that says 'we shouldn't be doing this?' We don't have that"
User avatar woodie
Junior Member
 
Posts: 838
Joined: 27 May 2010 05:37
Location: Australia

04 Apr 2012 12:26

I guess my question is what would his race calendar look like leading into a 3 grand tour attempt? How many single day races would he participate in?
nickel999
Junior Member
 
Posts: 116
Joined: 17 Aug 2009 13:52

04 Apr 2012 12:43

I can't imagine a rider who, say, have just made a Giro-Tour double (which, as last seasons show, is close to impossible) bothering about the half-stuff that Vuelta is now.
Kvinto
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,552
Joined: 28 Oct 2010 09:39
Location: This account has been quit by its creator since Sept 23, 2012.

04 Apr 2012 12:50

nickel999 wrote:I guess my question is what would his race calendar look like leading into a 3 grand tour attempt? How many single day races would he participate in?


Single day races? Does he ever participate in those? :rolleyes:
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita
Senior Member
 
Posts: 21,147
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

04 Apr 2012 13:07

nickel999 wrote:I guess my question is what would his race calendar look like leading into a 3 grand tour attempt? How many single day races would he participate in?


probably start with Mallorca (don't was energy at all, just get the km in his legs)
then do some easy racing in Paris Nice (same strategy as in Mallorca) from there he goes to trentino to get some form, before winning the giro with 28 seconds.

Then do the tour, praying for the other GC contenders to have a bad day or 2, then go to the Vuelta, praying for the same as he prayed for in the tour :)
Vino attacks everyone
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,518
Joined: 05 May 2011 16:26

04 Apr 2012 13:12

Vino attacks everyone wrote:probably start with Mallorca (don't was energy at all, just get the km in his legs)
then do some easy racing in Paris Nice (same strategy as in Mallorca) from there he goes to trentino to get some form, before winning the giro with 28 seconds.

Then do the tour, praying for the other GC contenders to have a bad day or 2, then go to the Vuelta, praying for the same as he prayed for in the tour :)


I think he has proven he can do Giro-Tour in one year, because the hard parcours and the bad luck in 2011. All he has to do then is think: screw this, i'm trying the Vuelta, and if it's clear soon that i'm not going to make it, i'll drop out in the second week
Let us remember what happened on March 16th, 2014

The Hitch wrote:Red Rick. Road Race forum MVP 2014.


The Hitch wrote:#RedRick4RCSRaceDirector.
Red Rick
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,086
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: The Netherlands

04 Apr 2012 20:44

the asian wrote:Christian Prudholme is anti Contador and a big fanboy of A Schleck & B Wiggins,
so he'll do everything possible to make sure that the Courses suit them.
.


Fortunately you can't make a course that will suit them both at the same time. Whatever course he will make, it will always suit Contador, as he is so versatile.
User avatar Gregory
Junior Member
 
Posts: 129
Joined: 13 Jul 2009 09:55

04 Apr 2012 23:20

Angliru wrote: IMO most importantly, Contador's continued willingness to continue after winning the Giro and the Tour


Agree Contador is more disciplined, but when i saw his performance at the Giro 2011, it seemed clear to me he'd peaked and wasn't expecting to ride the tour, he certainly didn't ride conservatively until it was well and truly decided. If he wants even the Giro Tour double his approach would need to be different. I think most of us agree on that.
After the Giro and Tour, I think the motivation to be on the line for the Vuelta would be there, but I'm not so sure about the physical and mental fatigue, needing to get through the training required and hold his form through.
karlboss
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,656
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 18:40

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dgodave, Google [Bot], zlev11 and 33 guests

Back to top