Register

TV coverage in the US

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

08 May 2014 13:12

Carols wrote:And it's HD :)

Just pray we don't get Kirby like last year :( LOL now that I know I'm getting it I'm picky about the race caller!

Wouldn't the alternative be Phil? I'd take Kirby any day.
User avatar VeloHuman

08 May 2014 13:20

VeloHuman wrote:Wouldn't the alternative be Phil? I'd take Kirby any day.

They used Rob Hatch quite a bit last year. He sure beats Kirby, who beats Phil. Phil I mute and play commentary on line :)

BTW beIN replied to my email and sent me a full schedule. I guess they really didn't have it ready until yesterday AM.

Their Late changes to schedules really mess up my DISH Hopper auto timers. They never find beIN programing and I have to delete and recreate the auto seek timer every race :(
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols

08 May 2014 13:39

I subscribed to bein and there not airing the entire Giro 😡😡😡😡😡
senatorrick

08 May 2014 13:42

I suppose I'll have no choice but to view fuzzy live streams!
senatorrick

08 May 2014 14:33

senatorrick wrote:I subscribed to bein and there not airing the entire Giro 😡😡😡😡😡

What are they not showing? The schedule they sent me shows all 21 stages :)
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols

08 May 2014 14:41

Carols wrote:What are they not showing? The schedule they sent me shows all 21 stages :)

As of Sunday my schedule showed one stage, I will look when I get home maybe it's updated? Thank you
senatorrick

08 May 2014 15:12

senatorrick wrote:As of Sunday my schedule showed one stage, I will look when I get home maybe it's updated? Thank you

Their website lists live coverage every day.
http://www.beinsports.tv/tv-schedule
User avatar Afrank

08 May 2014 17:52

Thank you! I can view it now! I'm looking forward to see some epic attacking😰
senatorrick

09 May 2014 19:15

Did you all enjoy beIN's coverage today as much as I did? Or rather their coverage interuptus!

F ***,beIN! Don't monopolize the broadcast rights if you don't actually intend to broadcast the events!

Anybody got their email? I remember I had a hard time finding it last season when I wanted to complain. And I really, really need to complain right now.......
Thanks
Tyre Byter

09 May 2014 19:21

Tyre Byter wrote:Did you all enjoy beIN's coverage today as much as I did? Or rather their coverage interuptus!

F ***,beIN! Don't monopolize the broadcast rights if you don't actually intend to broadcast the events!

Anybody got their email? I remember I had a hard time finding it last season when I wanted to complain. And I really, really need to complain right now.......
Thanks

I'm with you there I was watching the Giro....and Bam left out in the cold.

This is the email I received a response from yesterday. You won't be the only one writing :)

info@beinsport.tv
Carol S.
~~~~

User avatar Carols

09 May 2014 23:50

Tyre Byter wrote:Did you all enjoy beIN's coverage today as much as I did? Or rather their coverage interuptus!

Thanks

When their English channel switched to soccer I switched to their Spanish channel. I saw the last teams finish and the team podium (but not the Pink jersey award).
avanti

10 May 2014 00:07

avanti wrote:When their English channel switched to soccer I switched to their Spanish channel. I saw the last teams finish and the team podium (but not the Pink jersey award).

I don't have a subscription to their Spanish channel so I was screwed. Had to boot up the laptop and get a link for a stream (that kept freezing) I was so mad at that point I wasn't able to concentrate anyway.

We should have a pool for what point will they cut coverage on the Zoncolon :eek:
Tyre Byter

10 May 2014 07:08

Carols wrote:They used Rob Hatch quite a bit last year. He sure beats Kirby, who beats Phil. Phil I mute and play commentary on line :)

BTW beIN replied to my email and sent me a full schedule. I guess they really didn't have it ready until yesterday AM.

Their Late changes to schedules really mess up my DISH Hopper auto timers. They never find beIN programing and I have to delete and recreate the auto seek timer every race :(

Kirby does ALL the international English commentary for the Italian races I'm afraid. Rob Hatch only works internationally on the various Flanders Classics and the two Swiss races (as far I remember).
argyllflyer

In sum...

14 May 2014 18:49

So, looking back through the threads, I just want to make sure I've got access to all the televised cycling coverage available to me in the USA.

I use the Dish Network satellite service and it looks to me like I can watch all three Grand Tours this year (already enjoying the Giro), which is tremendous.

NBC Sports Network (HD): Currently airing the Tour of California, US rights to the Tour de France, owner (I think) of the Universal Sports Network. 2014 schedule here.

Universal Sports Network: Not high-definition, alas, but a robust schedule of live coverage, including the Vuelta. 2014 schedule here.

beIN Sports Network (HD): Currently airing the Giro d'Italia. I haven't been able to find any information about their cycling schedule for the rest of the year but wrote the US website's info eddress with a query. Anyone know if they have broadcast rights to any other races?

I temporarily lost my taste for following pro cycling a few years back but now it's back with a vengeance. Overall, it seems like a golden age for TV viewing in the States. Are there other networks/sources that I've left off?

Cheers,

Christopher
christopherrowe

14 May 2014 19:01

You've got them all, that's all the cycling coverage for TV that we have. For other sources though, you could include streams over the internet from sites like Steephill.tv and Cyclingfans.com.

Bein's schedule, they don't put up a schedule for the whole year like NBC and Universal. They put it up as they go. I believe they own the rights to most of RCS's races.
User avatar Afrank

14 May 2014 19:15

Afrank wrote:Bein's schedule, they don't put up a schedule for the whole year like NBC and Universal. They put it up as they go. I believe they own the rights to most of RCS's races.

Thank you! Did they show Milan-San Remo and Tirreno-Adriatico? I guess from looking at what RCS owns, the only race left after the Giro this year will be Lombardia. I was hoping someone had picked up the Tour de Suisse and the Critérium du Dauphiné (beyond what looks like minimal coverage of the latter on NBCSN). But, beggars and choosers and all that. Thanks!
christopherrowe

14 May 2014 19:33

christopherrowe wrote: Are there other networks/sources that I've left off?

Considering you live in the U.S., the North Korea of Internet access, I can see why you waste money with subscription TV.

If you had half-decent Internet access, you'd discover there's no reason for subscription TV to exist in it's current model. It's not hard. End the TV subscriptions and pay for business class Internet service.
User avatar DirtyWorks

14 May 2014 19:40

DirtyWorks wrote:Considering you live in the U.S., the North Korea of Internet access, I can see why you waste money with subscription TV.

If you had half-decent Internet access, you'd discover there's no reason for subscription TV to exist in it's current model. It's not hard. End the TV subscriptions and pay for business class Internet service.

Well, as a person who makes his living by "content creation" and controlling the rights of my own intellectual property, I do have reasons for wanting to pay for access. And as you said, our internet speeds are barely sufficient for streaming live video. I'm just looking for any fair and legal access to live cycling I can find. Oh, and I mentioned the Critérium du Dauphiné earlier, and it looks like cycling.tv will have that live. I was a subscriber in their early days--have they improved on their downtimes any? Worth a quarterly subscription to watch that race?
christopherrowe

14 May 2014 21:28

christopherrowe wrote:So, looking back through the threads, I just want to make sure I've got access to all the televised cycling coverage available to me in the USA.

I use the Dish Network satellite service and it looks to me like I can watch all three Grand Tours this year (already enjoying the Giro), which is tremendous.

I temporarily lost my taste for following pro cycling a few years back but now it's back with a vengeance. Overall, it seems like a golden age for TV viewing in the States. Are there other networks/sources that I've left off?

Cheers,

Christopher

Welcome Christopher!

I also have a DISH satellite and you have the big three :) I highly recommend you do a search for 'cycling' periodically or set up a 'seek and record' Hopper timer for all stations. It has found Gila and Utah on Root and some other USA races on obscure channels :)

As far as cycling.tv I gave up on that years ago as their coverage shrank to almost nothing. However now one can get a quarterly subscription as you mentioned so it might be worth trying again :)
Carol S.
~~~~

User avatar Carols

15 May 2014 00:57

Thanks for the hints and the welcome, Carol!
christopherrowe

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing