Register

London cylist pedestrian casualties MAP

Moderator: Tonton

London cylist pedestrian casualties MAP

12 Apr 2012 07:37

FYI

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/datablog/interactive/2012/apr/12/london-road-cyclist-pedestrian-casualties-map

How dangerous are London's streets for cyclists and pedestrians? This map, produced by ITO World for campaigning group See Me, Save Me, gathers together a decade of road casualty data from the Department for Transport called Stats19. It highlights those hit by a vehicle with a gross mass of over 3,500kg. With transport a key issue in the mayoral election, what patterns does this map show?
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

13 Apr 2012 04:35

One fatality right outside my old apartment complex in SE London and another happened near my mate's place in Greenwhich park while I lived there. :-(

The scary thing though is the sheer number of dots on the map for incidents including cyclists or pedestrians. Looks like a warzone.

It would be interesting to see this as a worldwide map.
No, I am not a Moderator on CyclingNews - stop bothering me! :D

http://velorooms.com

mastersracer wrote:Ironically, statistical studies confirm (with statistical significance!) that people who make these sorts of claims about statistics have an IQ at least 2 standard deviations below the mean.
User avatar Martin318is

13 Apr 2012 05:03

Martin318is wrote:The scary thing though is the sheer number of dots on the map for incidents including cyclists or pedestrians. Looks like a warzone.

It would be interesting to see this as a worldwide map.

Also it would be interesting to compare the London map to a map of a cycling friendly city like Portland, Oregon. I struck out trying to find similar data for Portland.
Attitude is everything. What you think is in actions, actions result in habits, habits develop character, and character develops your future.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

13 Apr 2012 05:26

Yep. If you could work out a ratio such that you give a weighting to incidents based upon the perceived (or even real) risk then that would create an interesting picture.

Melbourne is supposedly a cycling city according to the UCI - whatever that means. But I am pretty sure our stats per head of population and cyclists per head would agree.
No, I am not a Moderator on CyclingNews - stop bothering me! :D

http://velorooms.com

mastersracer wrote:Ironically, statistical studies confirm (with statistical significance!) that people who make these sorts of claims about statistics have an IQ at least 2 standard deviations below the mean.
User avatar Martin318is

Return to General