Register

Ivan Basso Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Do you think basso will win Il Giro this year?

Poll ended at 02 May 2012 22:05

Yes.
34%
No.
66%

Total votes : 112

28 Apr 2012 00:11

I actually think he will. He doesn't look too bad at the moment, and there are barely any decisive stages in the Giro before about 12 stages are done anyway. By then his form will be there and his excellent recuperation will come into play. Scarponi will have pink for long, but crack on one of the big mountains in the final week.
maltiv

28 Apr 2012 00:21

Climbed well in trentino and well within himself. Basso is my tip for the Giro, it'll be the same as 2010 all over, looking ok until the 3rd week and then untouchable on stelvio.

Scarponi will play the role of Evans.
karlboss

28 Apr 2012 00:30

Yeah i'd say he will be really good in the third week. But Scarponi is still going to be tough to beat as he also knows how to recover and can hang with Basso on most of the climbs. I still wouldnt mind seeing Basso win though.
Swede1

28 Apr 2012 00:39

His Giro winning day's are past, first off he wants to win le Tour after winning the Giro already so has used it (so he says) for training or to support Nibali or to have Nibali support him at le Tour after his support at the Giro. Unless Nibali has switched with him and they're aiming for different goals this year. I think he'll take a cameo stage and then take part in pack fill 2012.
CyclingNews Forum Member Number 1. (verified)
All my posts are of my own opinion.
October 10, 2012 The Reasoned Decision
User avatar ElChingon

28 Apr 2012 00:48

ElChingon wrote:His Giro winning day's are past, first off he wants to win le Tour after winning the Giro already so has used it (so he says) for training or to support Nibali or to have Nibali support him at le Tour after his support at the Giro. Unless Nibali has switched with him and they're aiming for different goals this year. I think he'll take a cameo stage and then take part in pack fill 2012.

No way is Basso going to be leader at both, unless Liquigas have decided that they don't want Nibali to ride for them any more, and just fancy ****ing him off.
User avatar Caruut

28 Apr 2012 00:48

ElChingon wrote:His Giro winning day's are past, first off he wants to win le Tour after winning the Giro already so has used it (so he says) for training or to support Nibali or to have Nibali support him at le Tour after his support at the Giro. Unless Nibali has switched with him and they're aiming for different goals this year. I think he'll take a cameo stage and then take part in pack fill 2012.

I think Basso knows he can't win the Tour this year. While we all make fun of Andy Schleck's TT ability, Basso is worse.
He could however be a great domestique for Nibali at the tour. I would think Basso will ride the Giro and then be a domestique for the tour, while Nibali should skip the Giro, peak for the Tour then think about la Vuelta.
karlboss

28 Apr 2012 01:08

Basso could go anywhere from top to outside the first 10 and that is the problem for Liquigas. Basso on his own against a formidable Lampre machine seems almost unfair on paper.
Dazed and Confused

28 Apr 2012 01:13

Dazed and Confused wrote:Basso could go anywhere from top to outside the first 10 and that is the problem for Liquigas. Basso on his own against a formidable Lampre machine seems almost unfair on paper.

if basso is in good shape he will get ride of cunego before he can do any damage, so the lampre due shouldn't be a big problem
User avatar Parrulo

28 Apr 2012 01:26

Parrulo wrote:if basso is in good shape he will get ride of cunego before he can do any damage, so the lampre due shouldn't be a big problem

Basso is usually worthless in the first two weeks, so Cunego could do some damage on some of the "smaller" stages before Basso even enter the race for real. Liquigas simply needs a stronger hand going into the game.
Dazed and Confused

28 Apr 2012 01:47

Basso knows "how" to win Il Giro-BUT- his current shape is a mystery(maybe bluffing a bit) he hasn't shown any sort of form at all...

on the other hand- he only has Scarponi as his main contender........
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
Sun Tzu
User avatar hfer07

28 Apr 2012 01:51

Dazed and Confused wrote:Basso is usually worthless in the first two weeks, so Cunego could do some damage on some of the "smaller" stages before Basso even enter the race for real. Liquigas simply needs a stronger hand going into the game.

as much damage as cunego can make he will most likely lose minutes on the stelvio alone if basso is indeed in good shape ofc.
User avatar Parrulo

28 Apr 2012 03:13

Fetisoff wrote:OK, we're on. Purito vs Basso in GC for one month.
We can talk specifics of the avatars to be chosen afterwards (of course it has to be cycling related, or at least not offensive, I wouldn't expect the loser of this to post with a Hitler avatar for a month :D)

I wanna join this **** too. I'm betting on Basso winner. And I wanna bet BIG, so show me some real challenge here :D
User avatar Pippo_San

28 Apr 2012 06:17

Pippo_San wrote:I wanna join this **** too. I'm betting on Basso winner. And I wanna bet BIG, so show me some real challenge here :D

rrrreeeaaaalllllyyyyy? :cool:
"I know how to ride my bike" - Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
Vino attacks everyone

28 Apr 2012 06:54

Swede1 wrote:Yeah i'd say he will be really good in the third week. But Scarponi is still going to be tough to beat as he also knows how to recover and can hang with Basso on most of the climbs. I still wouldnt mind seeing Basso win though.

On Etna though he blew himself up and after that the race was done.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge

28 Apr 2012 07:09

There is no way Basso will win the Giro and it is 50/50 if he will even finish it.

I am open to any avitar bets on this but when he doesn't win you will have to have an Evans avitar until the start of the Tour.

If he wins.... well, your wish is my comand.
User avatar Woody22

28 Apr 2012 07:22

Woody22 wrote:There is no way Basso will win the Giro and it is 50/50 if he will even finish it.

I am open to any avitar bets on this but when he doesn't win you will have to have an Evans avitar until the start of the Tour.

If he wins.... well, your wish is my comand.

sounds interesting :cool:
"I know how to ride my bike" - Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
Vino attacks everyone

28 Apr 2012 07:25

Vino attacks everyone wrote:sounds interesting :cool:

Hope I get some takers as I would love to see a forum full of Evans avitars staring back at me :p
User avatar Woody22

28 Apr 2012 08:00

He is a big enigma, Basso, right now.

Basso has had two careers, pre-OP and post-OP. At the apogee, before the fall, Basso truly seemed to be the best stage racer in the world after the Texan retired, having also finished 3rd in L-B-L as well as good placing’s in other important events. He even became a good time trialist, the ability of which, in the second part of his career, has dissipated completely.

Of all the consequences of OP, this is perhaps the most sensational. His non-ability to ride fast against the clock. Whereas it seemed as if Basso, the climber, had returned to his former level, when winning on the Zoncolon and as a result his second Giro. But then we had the lackluster performances at the Tours and the Giro since then, so that one can only conclude that when he was racing for Riis against Armstrong, Basso was on the best of programs, without that he isn't at the same level. Does this mean that his 2010 Giro victory was on pane et aqua?

As far as this Giro goes, of course, it all depends if Basso can reach the level of 2010. If he does, then yes, if not, no. Right now that's impossible to say. We have to wait till the 12th stage of the Giro to get a response to our inquiry. One factor in his favor, however, is the lack of competition. Scarponi doesn't seem to be at a high level like last year. Cunego? Fuglsang is out, but Frank Schleck is in, though as a last minute sub. Does the Luxembourgese have the form and the will to fight for the Giro till Milan? In any case the French race suits him more, though this appears to be a "lite" Giro without the usual sadistic climbs. At the same time the Tour of California has siphoned off the rest who may have been present, purely due to the commercial interests, which is a shame. The Giro deserves more respect from the UCI and it is scandalous that they moved the US event to the Giro time in the calendar. In the age of hyper-specialization and sponsorship priorities this has meant that the Giro stopped being fought over by the biggest international champions, who didn't want to risk-sacrifice a Tour by taking on two Grand Tours in one season (Contador’s failure last season may have ended all possibility that this will change); so the Giro didn't need another obstacle from the official governing body of pro cycling to its history and dignity. While many who ride two GTs now opt for the Vuelta instead, in light of the subsequent Worlds event. I think this is why Zomengan tried to make the Giro parcours as spectacular as possible to compensate.

At any rate Basso can win this Giro, but that all depends on him.
User avatar rhubroma

28 Apr 2012 08:45

The Aye seems to be picking up steem.
User avatar Zam_Olyas

28 Apr 2012 08:53

Basso has a solid good chance to win. He's focused, as the Tour is just not something he's ever going to win so he's dismissed it entirely. Basso has a great big engine with excellent recovery; no fast legs but don't need it to win the Giro. Just consistency.
orangerider

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing