Register

Ivan Basso Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Do you think basso will win Il Giro this year?

Poll ended at 02 May 2012 22:05

Yes.
34%
No.
66%

Total votes : 112

13 Feb 2015 20:35

Dr. Juice wrote:Let's wait 1 year. With Tinkoff breakfast ...he should be able to regain the level he had in the Vuelta 2013. It's not even 2 years that he was climbing with Nibali, Valverde and Rodriguez.

Yes, he could have been in the top 5 or even on the podium in that Vuelta.
I was really sad when he had to abandon the race, he was ready to go beserk on the Angliru , he looked like he was just waiting for tougher terrain to make the difference.
IMO he would have been in the top 5, i don't know if he would have been strong enough to take Valverdes podium spot but it would have been awesome:)
User avatar Mayomaniac

14 Feb 2015 11:41

Im a huge Basso fan i got into cycling in 2004 watching the TDF so no suprise i liked Basso. Basso may suprise remember in 2013 Vuelta he looked strong before the bad weather he would have been top 5 for sure.
Froome is the man get prepared for this in the next few years he is the best GT rider for long time.
User avatar TANK91

25 May 2015 18:21

This thread had dropped all the way to the 8th page. Very sad.

Looks like Oleg purchased Basso for his name, and not the likelihood of future performance. Unless things improve dramatically in the third week, this needs to be the last Grand Tour that Basso rides. Let him do smaller races and mentor some young guys or something.
Vino attacks everyone describes Benjamin Noval:
it says, AC will win the tour, but he has no idea on the amount of time he will win it with (which is fair, since he is only the god of feast and drink, not time and space)
Beech Mtn

Re:

25 May 2015 18:22

Beech Mtn wrote:This thread had dropped all the way to the 8th page. Very sad.

Looks like Oleg purchased Basso for his name, and not the likelihood of future performance. Unless things improve dramatically in the third week, this needs to be the last Grand Tour that Basso rides. Let him do smaller races and mentor some young guys or something.

He's the new Jesus! Alberto's useless roomie :p
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

Re: Re:

25 May 2015 18:23

LaFlorecita wrote:

If that doesn't bring Zam out of the shadows, nothing will. :D
Vino attacks everyone describes Benjamin Noval:
it says, AC will win the tour, but he has no idea on the amount of time he will win it with (which is fair, since he is only the god of feast and drink, not time and space)
Beech Mtn

Re: Re:

25 May 2015 19:51

LaFlorecita wrote:
Beech Mtn wrote:This thread had dropped all the way to the 8th page. Very sad.

Truer words have never been spoken! Bring back Jesus!
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols

25 May 2015 19:55

Basso at least pulls on the flat and he was pracing Kreuziger yesterday. Don't think Hernandez did a single useful thing in the Vuelta last year, didn't do a single pull, only was there right before Froome attacked on the Ancares only to pop superhard and lose 5 minutes. Sometimes is around when the peloton has 20 guys, but then he can only hang around till somebody attacks. He must be a really funny guy as he's been around for that long
Red Rick

Re:

25 May 2015 20:45

Red Rick wrote:Basso at least pulls on the flat and he was pracing Kreuziger yesterday. Don't think Hernandez did a single useful thing in the Vuelta last year, didn't do a single pull, only was there right before Froome attacked on the Ancares only to pop superhard and lose 5 minutes. Sometimes is around when the peloton has 20 guys, but then he can only hang around till somebody attacks. He must be a really funny guy as he's been around for that long

As always expectations color perceptions. I plead guilty, my expectations of what a dual GT winner who flashed some decent form in the last couple of years could bring to the table were much higher then what he has shown. Hence I am disappointed in him.

My expectations of Jesus have always been very low, he must be a great pal to have coffee with.
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols

25 May 2015 22:56

Tomorrow Ivan's last stand in Aprica. The place that's given him so much. Where he took his first steps as a young climber. Where he made a fool out of the whole peloton and Gibo especially. Where he capped off his return with another dominant display. People writing off Ivan are stupid. He's been saving himself all Giro for this stage. Will be a glorious goodbye to Ivan.

Also hoping Elisa visits il Giro and is invited to processo alla tappa :p
Billie

26 May 2015 04:16

Time to retire. He has had a good career.
movingtarget

26 May 2015 05:35

Tour of California entry for next year ?
orangerider

Re:

26 May 2015 08:12

movingtarget wrote:Time to retire. He has had a good career.

I agree, but guess the last paycheck from Tinkoff was too good to turn down..
boringboy

Re:

26 May 2015 08:18

movingtarget wrote:Time to retire. He has had a good career.

He's been one of my favourite riders over the years, but I've got to agree - time to call it a day. It's painful watching him get dropped like a stone all the time. Having said that, I do agree with Red Rick, he may not have his climbing legs anymore but he has been working hard on the gentler slopes (bridges, sleeping policemen and that sort of thing ;) Would be nice to see him have one last hoorah in the next few days though.
User avatar cellardoor

26 May 2015 11:01

How the hell has he declined so quickly?

I remember Vuelta 2013 when Horner attacked, he looked stronger than Nibali when they were chasing. A few days later he DNF due to illness, but he was very strong in that Vuelta.

He was certainly one of the strongest climbers in that race. Now he cant even top20 in a GT.
rm7

Re: Ivan Basso Discussion Thread

26 May 2015 16:55

Ivan was of use today, he gave Alberto his wheel when he punctured :).
Carol S.
~~~~

User avatar Carols

Re:

26 May 2015 17:02

rm7 wrote:How the hell has he declined so quickly?

I remember Vuelta 2013 when Horner attacked, he looked stronger than Nibali when they were chasing. A few days later he DNF due to illness, but he was very strong in that Vuelta.

He was certainly one of the strongest climbers in that race. Now he cant even top20 in a GT.

Time is a cruel master than takes from us our strength and leaves us broken beasts headed to extinction.
TheGreenMonkey

Re:

26 May 2015 17:24

rm7 wrote:How the hell has he declined so quickly?

1)Well the answer is probably in the clinic

2) But there is also motivation....no much fun each day pulling for someone even if it is Contador..so less inclined to train more

3) Some good riders do not make good domestiques

4) maybe TCS training techniques do not suit him....he would not be the only one
HelloDolly

Previous

Return to Professional road racing