Register

Ivan Basso Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Do you think basso will win Il Giro this year?

Poll ended at 02 May 2012 22:05

Yes.
34%
No.
66%

Total votes : 112

Re:

13 Jul 2015 18:28

Merckx index wrote:I wonder what would happen if a contender were diagnosed in the manner, particularly someone like Froome who is very likely to win. Would he drop out, and abandon his chances of a title, or take a chance that two more weeks at this early stage wouldn't make much difference--and getting as much treatment as possible under the circumstances? If you think someone would be a fool to gamble like this, remember that athletes frequently take much bigger gambles with their lives, indeed, that fuels a lot of the doping.

In any case, there has to be a cutoff point, a stage in the race where a strong contender would continue to the finish. I can't imagine anyone leading after stage 20 dropping out just before the final stage to Paris, for example. But how far into a race would a contender have to be before he would make the decision to continue? I can see a point where it would be a real conflict.

Any real gc contender would continue imo, cyclist are crazy :(
Alberto Contador fanboy
Proud Participant of a Thrilling Foxxy's GGTG 2014-15
User avatar ILovecycling

13 Jul 2015 18:45

Couple of days won't make a difference, but if it is early in the race then I am sure everyone would drop out.
Hell, if a doctor who puts up a diagnosis doesn't intervene (notifying officials, etc.) and the health of an athlete worsens then I am pretty sure he could be legally charged.

It is really good that it was diagnosed so early. Should not take long to cure.
damian13ster

Re:

13 Jul 2015 19:50

Zam_Olyas wrote:Ivan Basso Official
Ciao, quello che sta succedendo lo sapete già, quello che ci tenevo a dirvi è che affronterò questa prova con la grinta di sempre e con la positività che mi avete trasmesso con tutti i vostri messaggi.
Amo il ciclismo che mi ha dato tanto e mi ha insegnato a stringere i denti quando c’è da lottare; adoro la mia famiglia che riempie la mia vita di gioia e mi ha dato la spinta per andare avanti nei momenti difficili; farò un gran tifo per la mia squadra, la Tinkoff-Saxo, alla quale auguro di portare Alberto, il nostro capitano, a Parigi in maglia gialla.
Nei prossimi giorni purtroppo non potrò stare in contatto con voi, ma tornerò a farlo molto presto perché siete la mia forza!
Grazie a tutti.
Ivan

Translation:

Hey there, you all know what's going on. I just wanted to tell you that I'll face this challenge with the usual grit and the positive attitude you all gave me through your messages.
I love cycling, it gave me a lot and taught me not to give up when the fight is on; I love my family, they fill my life with joy and they pushed me through the difficult times; I'll strongly support my team, Tinkoff-Saxo, and I hope to see our captain Alberto with the yellow jersey in Paris.
I won't be able to keep in touch with you in the next few days, but I'll be back soon because you're my strength!
Thank you all.
Ivan
User avatar SafeBet

13 Jul 2015 20:27

Awful news :(
Thankfully the prognosis looks very good, doesn't make it any less serious though

Forza Ivan!
peloton

Re:

13 Jul 2015 20:59

Merckx index wrote:I wonder what would happen if a contender were diagnosed in this manner, particularly someone like Froome who is very likely to win. Would he drop out, and abandon his chances of a title, or take a chance that two more weeks at this early stage wouldn't make much difference--and getting as much treatment as possible under the circumstances? If you think someone would be a fool to gamble like this, remember that athletes frequently take much bigger gambles with their lives, indeed, that fuels a lot of the doping.

In any case, there has to be a cutoff point, a stage in the race where a strong contender would continue to the finish. I can't imagine anyone leading after stage 20 dropping out just before the final stage to Paris, for example. But how far into a race would a contender have to be before he would make the decision to continue? I can see a point where it would be a real conflict.

No conflict. You get treated ASAP. A day a few hours could make a difference. You would be an idiot to delay any treatment for the sake of a victory.

A few little interesting facts.

Testicular cancer is generally found in young men. The exact cause of testicular cancer is unknown and many men without risk factors develop testicular cancer. Strong connections between certain lifestyles, habits or activities, such as bike riding, have not been made with testicular cancer. Injuries and strains will not increase the risk of developing testicular cancer.

Age: Young men between the ages of 15-35 are at the highest risk for testicular cancer. However, it can occur in men of any age.

Race: Testicular cancer is 4.5 times more common in white men verses black men. The risk for Hispanics, American Indians and Asians falls between that of white and black men
ray j willings

13 Jul 2015 21:47

My best wishes for Basso. What a bad luck!. He born the same week than me, so maybe for that I have always like him a little, more in the past.
he need to be strong now and I am sure that he will pass this as Lance , Markel irizar and a friend of mine who play rugby did and now have a normal life.
User avatar Taxus4a

13 Jul 2015 21:49

I remenber Basso was a good friend of Lance becouse his mother has a cancen and finally died.

Thing of life now Ivan has the same illness than Lance. :(
User avatar Taxus4a

Re: Re:

13 Jul 2015 21:51

LaFlorecita wrote:
hfer07 wrote:
TheGreenMonkey wrote:Not good news at all, but I expect he will make a strong recovery.
I also doubt it has much to do with his decline as a rider as it seems to be in the very early stages, he is just old in cycling terms.

As far someone recovering from testicular cancer, Australian soccer player Craig Moore was cleared to play soccer again only six weeks after having surgery for testicular cancer. This might give some indication that Basso might race again given it is an early diagnosis. Of course every case is different, but this does not have to be horrid story.

indeed. Is there any report on how serious/advanced is his case?

Doctor said 98-99% chance of full recovery, which apparently means it is a stage 1 tumor, so this was a very early detection.

thanks Flor. Luckily he recovers soon enough to ride one last race. best wishes to him.
User avatar hfer07

13 Jul 2015 21:53

Really unpleasant news, but I'm sure he'll recover.
Support to Ivan.
User avatar sir fly

Re:

13 Jul 2015 22:01

Taxus4a wrote:I remenber Basso was a good friend of Lance becouse his mother has a cancen and finally died.

Thing of life now Ivan has the same illness than Lance. :(

Way less worse than lance though, with lance it was in a very advanced stage
User avatar Miburo

Re:

13 Jul 2015 22:04

Merckx index wrote:I wonder what would happen if a contender were diagnosed in this manner, particularly someone like Froome who is very likely to win. Would he drop out, and abandon his chances of a title, or take a chance that two more weeks at this early stage wouldn't make much difference--and getting as much treatment as possible under the circumstances? If you think someone would be a fool to gamble like this, remember that athletes frequently take much bigger gambles with their lives, indeed, that fuels a lot of the doping.

I suppose Kelly i the 1987 Vuelta is the nearest parallel to the situation you posit, but that was deciding the pain couldn't be supported (as he would undoubtedly put it) rather than concern for longer term health.

Like anyone of good will, I wish him a full recovery and sympathise with all those for whom this is a reminder of bad news that touched them.

We live in strange world when a man has to announce something so wrapped up with personal fear and concern in front of the massed ranks of the media, in a language in which he has limited self-expression, within two hours of diagnosis. That was truly courageous.
User avatar Armchair cyclist

13 Jul 2015 23:15

I had the pleasure of meeting and interviewing Ivan during the Tour of Britain a couple of years ago. He was charming and a perfect gentleman - humble and polite, despite the fact that I shoved a microphone in his face after he'd just signed on for the stage. A class rider and I hope and pray he gets through this. Cancer is not the killer it once was but you can do without things like this in your life.
Celeste

13 Jul 2015 23:32

Really shocking news.

Forza Ivan!
huge

Re: Re:

14 Jul 2015 00:20

SafeBet wrote:
Zam_Olyas wrote:Ivan Basso Official
Ciao, quello che sta succedendo lo sapete già, quello che ci tenevo a dirvi è che affronterò questa prova con la grinta di sempre e con la positività che mi avete trasmesso con tutti i vostri messaggi.
Amo il ciclismo che mi ha dato tanto e mi ha insegnato a stringere i denti quando c’è da lottare; adoro la mia famiglia che riempie la mia vita di gioia e mi ha dato la spinta per andare avanti nei momenti difficili; farò un gran tifo per la mia squadra, la Tinkoff-Saxo, alla quale auguro di portare Alberto, il nostro capitano, a Parigi in maglia gialla.
Nei prossimi giorni purtroppo non potrò stare in contatto con voi, ma tornerò a farlo molto presto perché siete la mia forza!
Grazie a tutti.
Ivan

Translation:

Hey there, you all know what's going on. I just wanted to tell you that I'll face this challenge with the usual grit and the positive attitude you all gave me through your messages.
I love cycling, it gave me a lot and taught me not to give up when the fight is on; I love my family, they fill my life with joy and they pushed me through the difficult times; I'll strongly support my team, Tinkoff-Saxo, and I hope to see our captain Alberto with the yellow jersey in Paris.
I won't be able to keep in touch with you in the next few days, but I'll be back soon because you're my strength!
Thank you all.
Ivan

thanks for the translation. My heart goes to him. I almost in tears reading his statement. I hope for his speedy recovery. He is a such a classy guy.
User avatar Jelantik

14 Jul 2015 11:18

All the best to Ivan in his recovery. A good thing they have detected it early.
User avatar gregrowlerson

15 Jul 2015 16:06

Some good news as his surgery was a success.
MatParker117

Re:

15 Jul 2015 17:10

MatParker117 wrote:Some good news as his surgery was a success.

Thanks for the update!
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols

15 Jul 2015 17:49

Dutch commentator I think said that the tumor was malignant, so they had to remove the entire testicle. That went well at least. He'd be going home tomorrow already.
Red Rick

Re:

15 Jul 2015 20:45

Red Rick wrote:Dutch commentator I think said that the tumor was malignant, so they had to remove the entire testicle. That went well at least. He'd be going home tomorrow already.

Malignant. Ugh. Worrying. I hope to see him on a bike again soon.

Forza, Ivan.
User avatar mr. tibbs

15 Jul 2015 21:07

Uniballer 2.0?

I'd be really happy if this means his career doesn't end like this :)
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing